Prototype Vahi

[...] regards the ultimately debunked G1-G2 connection

Sorry, I can't resist the bait.

The Protectors also believe that the temple mystically connects Okoto with other places, including distant worlds, across time and space.

*dives for cover through nearby wormhole*

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

It seems things have passed now, but I want to remind everyone to try to be respectful. Debate's totally fine by me, but if things get too testy, it's not really good for anyone involved - nor is it good to see for anyone observing the conversation.

I didn't see any explicit rule-breaking, so please don't take this as a formal warning; I just want to step in and ask people to keep the atmosphere in this forum and on this site amicable.

• Upvote 2

ok, i'm just going to put an end to thos entire debate... the answer was hiding in plain sight

simply put, if you were going to make two halves to a mask that could control time, you would have to have some kind of way to keep people from finding the second half and combining them.

the solution? you make one of the halves look like an ordinary mask, so nobody would know. to be precise, Ekimu's golden mask that he wore when he was buried.

but i hear your saying "but Hunter, if that was the case then why did the Protector's put it on Ekimu instead of taking it to the Temple of Time?"

simple. he didn't tell them what the second half looked like.

Thoughts?

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

The Protectors also believe that the temple mystically connects Okoto with other places, including distant worlds, across time and space.

What the Protectors believe may or may not be accurate. :P

Of note: there are three waves left. The obvious way to do marketing is to release the MoUP next wave, one of the halves of the Vahi in the first half of 2017, and the second half of the Vahi in Winter 2017, boom, new Bionicle finale.

I'd be surprised if the MoUP wasn't saved for 2017, since we have three years for the three main masks. Is it possible for both half masks to attach to the head piece individually, though? Because sales-wise, it seems unlikely that they will release a mask that only attaches to a mask from the previous wave.

I don't think so, given the way the masks connect to the heads in G2. Maybe they just will release the whole mask. Or they could have the "bottom half" connect to the top via clips. 

The other option is having Masks for the Toa in 2017 that are like the HF shells with rod holes, and just have the bottom half attach to to the masks. That's probably what they will do. 

I don't think disregarding that statement on those grounds is justified—that kind of statement is pretty obvious foreshadowing, and the law of conservation of detail means that there's really no point in revealing myths and legends that don't have any truth or meaning to them.

However, the bit about distant worlds really doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know—the Toa clearly came from other planets in the animations, after all.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't think disregarding that statement on those grounds is justified—that kind of statement is pretty obvious foreshadowing, and the law of conservation of detail means that there's really no point in revealing myths and legends that don't have any truth or meaning to them.

However, the bit about distant worlds really doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know—the Toa clearly came from other planets in the animations, after all.

I don't think that Bionicle has ever followed the law of conservation of detail. At any rate, something else could connect the planets and the island that is merely activated at the Temple of Time, and has nothing to do with mysticism.

After all, the Turaga believed that Mata Nui was a deity too. That didn't make him one. 

After all, the Turaga believed that Mata Nui was a deity too. That didn't make him one.

I mean, he was a powerful being that controlled their universe that they were obligated to serve.

That makes him either an overlord or a deity. Since he was pleasantly hands off and apparently benevolent, deity is the natural conclusion.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Anyway all this speculation over the Vahi making a return in G2 makes me want the finalized Mask of Time to look a bit like the Vahi, same way that the Mask of Fire looks like a Hau.

Oh yeah, I can absolutely agree with this. If there were no shared design cues between the G1 and G2 Masks of Time, it would be a huge missed opportunity. And the use of the Mask of Time as an "easter egg" in the webisodes shows that the creators of the Bionicle reboot know that it is remembered and appreciated by the previous generation of fans.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that Bionicle has ever followed the law of conservation of detail. At any rate, something else could connect the planets and the island that is merely activated at the Temple of Time, and has nothing to do with mysticism.

I'm not saying that there's necessarily any mystical connection. But the point is that there is most likely SOME nugget of truth to that legend, just like there was in G1 in the legend of Mata Nui. There would be absolutely no point in saying "the Temple of Time is rumored to be ancient and is connected to other worlds" if it turned out to just be an ordinary building. :P

In other words, that information about the Temple of Time may not be totally inaccurate, but disregarding it in its entirety just because "it's just a legend" runs totally counter to the general purpose of myths and legends in the Bionicle story in general.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

I think that the Vahi in the comic was a final design. Why in Mata Nui's name would LEGO hide the Vahi in the webisodes if it wasn't final?
-P146

Edited by Powermaster146
__________                                                   __                \______   \______  _  __ ___________  _____ _____    _______/  |_  ___________  |     ___/  _ \ \/ \/ // __ \_  __ \/     \\__  \  /  ___/\   __\/ __ \_  __ \ |    |  (  <_> )     /\  ___/|  | \/  Y Y  \/ __ \_\___ \  |  | \  ___/|  | \/ |____|   \____/ \/\_/  \___  >__|  |__|_|  (____  /____  > |__|  \___  >__|                               \/            \/     \/     \/            \/       

.•°•.The Eviscerator.•°•.

I think that the Vahi in the comic was a final design. Why in Mata Nui's name would LEGO hide the Vahi in the webisodes if it wasn't final?

-P146

Easter Egg for us old people from G1?

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

-P146

Easter Egg for us old people from G1?

Or in other words, exactly what it has been heavily implied to be on the Bionicle Facebook page. <_<

Besides, the main reason not to use a finalized mask is that the design was not finalized in time for production. And assuming that applied to the graphic novel, it'd obviously apply just as much if not more to the web animations, which wrapped production much, much earlier than the graphic novel itself.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

This seems like a mistake to me. Or perhaps at least a placeholder? It's worth noting that so far G2 has had a LOT of mistakes and inconsistencies. Mostly small things though and nothing even remotely story breaking, which is always good. I'm just gonna wait til they release the actual design officially and in set form. I mean, just look at Makuta's mask. Though similar, the final product is pretty different. They probably have the full mask designed but for all we know people are panicking and running around the LEGO offices trying to figure out a design for next year. :P