The Road to Home

Soran

Ask the Ga- Matoran... Oh wait! Are those yellow eyes? Av- Matoran located! *Insert level up sound effect here*. Anyways, ask the Av-Matoran if this is the Northern Continent, and if it is, ask her if she knows a "Nole".

*facepalm*

The natural eye-colour of all Ga-Matoran is yellow.

He also said all the Av-Matoran had yellow eyes.

You're missing the point, all of the Ga-Matoran have yellow eyes, too.

• Upvote 1

Ask the Ga Matoran to take you to a De Matoran Village. Proceed to have a large rock concert that is so LOUD the De-Matoran will kick you out. While being chased by an angry mob of De Matoran look for any that have yellow eyes, and after the mob disperses follow the yellow eyed one home.

• Upvote 3

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Ask the Ga Matoran to take you to a De Matoran Village. Proceed to have a large rock concert that is so LOUD the De-Matoran will kick you out. While being chased by an angry mob of De Matoran look for any that have yellow eyes, and after the mob disperses follow the yellow eyed one home.

This probably would have been a better idea if Soran didn't already burn the boat.... :P

Tell the Ga-Matoran we all "got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us." :P

Or if not, simply ask if there's a village nearby and where it is.

• Upvote 2

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

Do an interpretive dance to see if they know english.

EwcGt41.gif

Soran: "Behold, the dance of my people! Can you understand me?"

Ga-Matoran: "We speak the same language, yes. Whether I understand you… That's another matter."

Ask the person who they are. And why they are on the beach.

1L0LTwz.png

Soran: "Who are you and what are you doing?"

Tilera: "I feel like I should be asking you that. My name is Tilera and I'm a lurer. I lure and catch aquatic rahi, what about you?"

immediately make out with them

Introduce yourself as the former Kazekage of the Hidden Sand, who has lost everything to a powerful force that cast you here and destroyed your village...

...the ocean.

8wqgaX7.png

Soran thinks: "I don't know what making out or a kazekage is, what does that mean?"

Soran: "My name is Soran and I'm…uh, a traveler….?"

Tilera: "Nice to meet you Soran."

Punch them.

Punch them.

Yes. Do this.

And then bury them in the sand and construct a makeshift grave before taking their face and using it to transform into a fish-creature.

Wait, wrong game.

Punch them.

Do this, but then explain that punching people is how Matoran greet each other back home.

Punch them.

Do this, but then explain that punching people is how Matoran greet each other back home.

I second this.

Punch them.

I second this.

Thirded.

~Unit#phntk#1

kAPyhZm.png

Tilera: "Ow! Why did you punch me?"

Soran: "No, No, I was just greeting you. That's how matoran greet each other where I'm from."

Tilera: "Uhuh, and where would that be?"

Soran: "I…don't know."

Ask where the nearest pizza place is. That bowl of probably poison won't be as delicious as a good pizza! ...Assuming there is such thing as pizza around here.

46JyfIk.png

Soran: "Hey Tilera, do you know any place around here I can get a 'pizza'?

Tilera: "Piece of what?"

Try asking the villager for supplies/shelter/directions, anything that could help.

Also, how do you make your MNOG style backgrounds?

Do the normal thing. Speak to the matoran & ask for help. If he/she proves unhelpful, then just rip her mask off and throw it into the ocean.

Ask for a nearby village.

This probably would have been a better idea if Soran didn't already burn the boat.... :P

Tell the Ga-Matoran we all "got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us." :P

Or if not, simply ask if there's a village nearby and where it is.

KCSs25h.png

Soran: "What can you tell me about where I am?" 

Tilera: "Right now you're on the west coast of the Northern Continent. There is a shop to your right that is open all day and is run by a matoran named Nava. She sells various things that are often useful for travelers and she is also willing to buy things from travelers as well."

Soran: "Would she happen to have a weapon in stock?"

Tilera: "I wouldn't know, you'd have to check on that yourself. I know off the top of my head that she sells rope. There's also a village east of here just over that steep hill and through the forest. There's a lot more east of here but it'd be easier to explain with a map. Do you have a map of the Northern Continent with you?"

Soran: "No, I don't. Where can I get one?"

Tilera: "Nava hands them out for free to any travelers that visit her shop. I believe other shops do this as well. You should probably stop off at any nearby shops you can while you're traveling, it'll most likely be useful."

Soran: "I'll keep that in mind."

IXQMS1L.png

Tilera: "Hey Soran, now I've got a request for you. Your boat is functional right?"

Soran: "Yes it is, it's on fire though."

Tilera: "Are you able to put it out?"

Soran: "Yeah, I can do that. The boat will be fine as well, I remember the boat was very well crafted. Why do you ask?"

Tilera: "Then by any chance can you take me out fishing on the water? I haven't gone deep-sea fishing in a long time since my partner hasn't come back yet. Can you take me? If not now we can always go later, I'm always itching to go fishing."

What will you do?

• Go fishing with Tilera (Start Quest: "Treacherous Waters")
  • Investigate the shop

Vote Here!

(Note: Only votes in the poll are counted. Also I encourage any guests that read the comics to vote as well.)

Author's Notes
Howdy,

Soran here. This is once again another vote. This time you're going to be voting for whether you want to go fishing and start one of the many quests in the series with this one titled, "Treacherous Waters" or investigate the shop and the island. Let me point out a few things that could be brought up while you're forming your vote.

• You still don't have a weapon yet, but perhaps the shop has one?
  • Quests normally give out crucial or handy rewards.
  • You have lots to explore on the island.
  • You don't have any widgets (money) to buy anything at the shop.
  • Quests are often more formulaic than normal exploration comics and limit what you can do.
  • Quests normally have interesting games in them.

I've given 3 pros/cons for each option. It's best to choose which one you prefer to go with. Keep in mind that choosing one option doesn't negate the other, you'll still have plenty of time to start the quest later or explore the island later. It's all up to you guys.

Also as like before, any posts that were not featured in this comic will be used later. I've actually got a plan for most of them already, we just haven't reached those points in the story yet. I look forward to seeing what you guys decide on and as always, continue to give commands for Soran to do. But keep in mind that it's best to give a command that's understandable from a matoran in the BIONICLE universe's perspective. Otherwise the result will often be confusion.

Replies:

@Ghidora: Normally I would've simply had Soran ask, "What's english?" but I was just too tempted to make an animated panel. I don't get many opportunities to make animations.

@Kyle Whyte: Speed itself: Now you're definitely thinking ahead. Monitoring your sleep is actually an important factor in this series. I'll be using your command when it's closer to the end of the day (either after the quest or some time while exploring).

@Darth Daronus: Yeah, pizza wouldn't exist since I don't believe that there's tomatoes, milk, or bread that are in the matoran universe. Your suggestion did give me the opportunity to make a Sandlot reference.

@Kyle Whyte: Speed Itself: Absolutely.

@Fota: How do I make my MNOG Backgrounds? Simple, I draw them. I'll go through the process right here.  It entirely depends on the type of background I need. Some backgrounds are made by redrawing an existing photo in the MNOG style like in this example. Comic Panel | Photo

Others are simply made from scratch without any references such as this panel. The decision to draw based off of a reference and without one is entirely based off of my own knowledge of how whatever I'm drawing works. So for example, in the photo reference I gave above, this reference was mainly used because I have incomplete knowledge of how perspective works. I can easily work on perspective on land but when the shore was involved it took some thinking and some examples to work through. 

What I do is I look over different MNOG Backgrounds and I just examine them. I try to figure out the style and replicate it. It's not a perfect replica, like for example the way how I draw water is entirely different to their way of drawing water. I tried to do their style of water in one of my panels but it made it look odd in my opinion. 

It's important to look over the different factors of what makes a style unique. So for example, a big one in the MNOG art style is the color usage. You can see this clearly when you look at the foliage in the comics as transitioning from a chartreuse color to a grey. In reality colors wouldn't work that way, but in their style it does. Another key factor is the white gradient that is used in each of the land backgrounds. This shows off distance by giving almost a fog look to it and is one of the key features of the MNOG art style. Also recognizing how objects are handled in the backgrounds such as cliffs and rocks is also important. In MNOG the cliffs are often very vertical and follow a slant. The foliage above follows this slant as well. It's just paying attention to the little details in art and replicating it. That's simply how I make them.

@Dio Brando: This is what I get for allowing people to control my character. It's such an out of character thing for Soran to do but the expression Soran has as he punches Tilera is just entertaining to me.

@fishers64: Great command.

@Arzaki: I understood that reference.

@Lucina: I'll admit, I was originally not going to have Soran punch Tilera until you came up with this gem. Such a great set up for a joke.

@VahkiDane: Since there isn't any love in the BIONICLE Universe I figure the concept of making out isn't something known to them. Also it'd be weird to be like, "ey bby take off yo mask, let make out".

@Axilus: Entertaining command but sadly Soran wouldn't get the reference so I couldn't use it. I like the idea though.

@Makuta Luroka: Will do at a more appropriate time. 

@Dj Khaled: It'd be a shame if something were to happen to this mask of yours...

@Toa Smoke Monster: One of the many supporters of punching poor innocent matoran in the masks. I like it.

@ouberry: Good command and I'll use it probably in the next comic with either Tilera or Nava. And I hate to break it to you but Tilera isn't an Av-Matoran, she's simply a rare Ga-Matoran on the Northern Continent. When an Av-Matoran is found I'll place up a little sign in the panel similar to the "Quest Started" sign in the first comic. 

@Unit#phntk#1: Delightful.

@Kyle Whyte: Speed Itself: You would be correct. 

@ouberry: You're correct that All Av-Matoran in the series have yellow eyes. But not everyone who has yellow eyes are Av-Matoran.

@Kohnoh Toa of the Green: Nope, just a rare Ga-Matoran. Most of the rare locales make up little tribes around their element (water: lakes/oceans/rivers/marshes, plasma: volcanoes, The Green: Forests, etc.)

@RaidMaster Productions: Although it wasn't asked, the information was supplied.

@Kyle Whyte: Speed Itself: You're correct. All Ga-Matoran in the series will have yellow eyes, all Ko-Matoran will have ice blue, all Onu-Matoran will have green and all Av-Matoran will have yellow. I believe that the other elements are simply able to go with whatever.

@Xboxtravis: Stone or earth? In all seriousness, De-Koro will come up in the comics. You'll be able to reach it by traveling east toward the Tren Krom Peninsula. It also is pretty much impossible to get into except by one method which you guys will have to figure out. I was planning on having most of the De-Matoran have yellow eyes in the series so this wouldn't exactly work. Also there is no guarantee that the Av-Matoran is near their own village, some could be out in the world. Just like Soran is a traveler(?) one or several of the disguised Av-Matoran could be as well. Who knows?

@phinto: Already am.

@Ghidora131: This award seems oddly familiar...

@Kyle Whyte: Speed Itself: At this time of season? Hopefully it's with reason.

@Brickobotface: Actually the boat in the series is impervious to being destroyed. Even if it's burned, struck by lightning or ravaged by savages, it'll be perfectly fine. Otherwise Soran wouldn't be able to go home which would defeat the purpose of the series. I also don't understand the reference so I went with the second option.

@Display Name Goes Here: You can get a fishing rod by other means soon so I left the command out of this comic. I may feature it in a later comic.

@Kyle Whyte: Speed Itself: Can someone clue me into the reference?

Glad you guys enjoyed the comic,

~Soran

Edited by Soran
  • Upvote 6
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Go to the shop and get the map. Then see if you can trade the map for anything, then go to the the next shop and get another map. Repeat. Then when you have all the things you can get (though I doubt it's much), go deep sea fishing with Tilera.

Unity, Duty, Destiny

-Toa Ouberry

no i literially 

*Sniiip*

If you want a cameo, you should personally message him, and give him more details about your character.

i want to be in the background and i vote myself to be background character number 3

gorillaz1.jpg

The Mavrick thanks to Starwars ep. 7 for the avatar pic

Voting has ended! Thank you for participating!

put out the fire and take her in the boat.

sMn6DO9.png

Soran: "Sure, I can take you fishing. When do we head out?"

Tilera: "In just a minute, let me get some extra gear for you. In the meantime you should try to put out your boat and get it in the water."

Soran: "All right, sounds good."

let us see what you think? 

show us what exactly inside your mind? (inside out pixar)

Stare intensely at the sand until it becomes glass. Use this glass to make a magnifying glass to turn more sand into glass. Make a cup out of said glass. Pick up the salt water in glass. Pour salt water in eyes. Become Cthulhu. Destroy the world.

Build a flamethrower. that'll impress the natives.  :P

You should wear some heelies to escape your feelies. 

El6Jz7P.png

Soran: "All right, hmm… How should I put out the fire? Any ideas coming to mind?

Intrusive thought #55: "Stare intensely at the sand until it becomes glass. Use this glass to make a magnifying glass to turn more sand into glass. Make a cup out of said glass. Pick up the salt water in glass.--"

Intrusive thought #98: "Oh, and use the cup to pour the water onto the fire to put it out, right?"

Intrusive thought #55: "No. Pour the salt water in your eyes. Become Cthulhu. Destroy the world."

Soran: "I can't even do the first step, let alone all the others after it. Any other ideas?"

Intrusive thought #60: "Build a flamethrower and throw the flames somewhere else."

Soran: "I don't think that's how flamethrowers work…"

Intrusive thought #52: You should wear some heelies to escape your feelies. 

Soran: "I don't… what?"

W6o6fvw.png

Soran: "Come on guys; let's think seriously for a moment. There's got to be a way to put out the flames quickly, but how?"

Woosh! Crash!

Soran: "What was that?"

Soran: "Oh, I guess a huge wave came and washed the boat into the water and put out the flames. How convenient. I guess all I need to do now is wait for Tilera."

XDyBZrM.png

Soran: "You got everything?"

Tilera: "Yep, I've got an extra fishing rod for you and some extra bait. We're all ready to depart."

Soran: "All right, let's go!"

Later out in the ocean…

qvYdbQV.png

Soran: I've never gone out fishing before, at least not any time I can remember."

Tilera: "Oh, fishing is fun! You can catch all sorts of things, from random fish to miscellaneous valuables."

Soran: "'Miscellaneous valuables'? What do you mean by that?

Tilera: "Just things besides fish like weapons, masks, etc. Once I actually caught a Great Kanohi Hau. That fetched quite a deal at Nava's shop. I will say though that although fishing out a random item is fun and all, the real thrill comes from the fish themselves."

Ask Tilera what her favorite type of fish is.

Ask the Ga- Matoran... Oh wait! Are those yellow eyes? Av- Matoran located! *Insert level up sound effect here*. Anyways, ask the Av-Matoran if this is the Northern Continent, and if it is, ask her if she knows a "Nole".

dfy9GkH.png

Soran: "Really, what's your favorite type of fish?"

Tilera: "My favorite fish is the Ranau, a fish native to the Northern Continent. The Ranau lights up upon coming in contact with air. It's beautiful to find, especially at night."

Soran: "That sounds interesting, hopefully we'll catch one on our trip."

Tilera: "I doubt it, they're very difficult to catch during the day. They try to avoid swimming to the surface so they avoid the daylight. At night it's harder for them to tell where the surface is so they swim higher and are thus easier to catch."

Soran: "That makes sense. You really know a lot about the Northern Continent. Say, do you by any chance know of a matoran named, 'Nole'?"

Tilera: "Yeah, I've met him before. He's a Ta-Matoran living on the southern coast of the Northern Continent. I think he's a shipment deliverer but I'm not positive on that. Why?"

Soran: "It's nothing, I just need to ask him some questions."

To be Continued...

Soran Analysis

Author's Notes
Howdy,

Soran here. This is particularly interesting to me. I figured that you guys would vote for the quest option so that isn't so much of a surprise to me. What I did find surprising though was working on the Analysis and seeing that Soran has now switched from being mostly sane to being mostly insane. Interesting how most of the suggestions now are particularly "insane" ones. I'm curious how that'll proceed as the comic goes on. There's still no plans to have it really do anything.

So some things I figured I would point out in the comic, I'll arrange them by panels.

1. In the first panel you see the Matoran "Q" over Tilera's head. This is of course the Quest Symbol in the comic. What this means in the future is that if there's a matoran in the background with a "Q" (Quest Symbol) above their head then they are someone that Soran can talk with and start a quest.
  2. In the second panel you see 4 avatars. These are mainly just the people who asked questions that were used. Perhaps in the future I make go with the different elements representing different emotions suggestion you guys talked about. I'd have to organize it though in a way that works. Perhaps you guys can help me with that if you're interested.
  3. In the third panel I was simply too lazy to make a giant wave so you'll have to settle with the aftermath. 
  4. It was mentioned before that stealing is the most convenient way of getting the fishing rod. I thought that that was entertaining considering what happens in the quest which is that Tilera gives you the fishing rod for free.
  5. In the 5th panel you see a range of different things. One is that you have a new item, a fishing rod. The fishing rod is one of the more useful items in the comic. You can fish in any body of water and I have assigned different bodies of water specific items. It could be widgets, it could be trash, or it could be a powerful weapon of some kind, who knows what you'll find. The point is that if you wish to then when Soran passes by a body of water then you can suggest he fish in it and see if he catches anything of use. There also is a red box around the fishing rod. This mainly is just to display that it is in use currently. 
  6. The 6th panel reveals the solution for those who couldn't figure out the initialism on the tablet. When it said, "Northern Continent SC," what it meant was, "Northern Continent: Southern Coast". You can now infer where the other locations are just by this little clue. This comic of course also ends with a "To be continued…" Despite this, feel free to suggest things for Soran to do, whether it be now or in the future. 

Responses:

@Kyle Whyte: Speed Itself: Got'cha. 

@Ghidora131: I'll try my best not to.

@Display Name Goes Here: What's cheaper than free?

@ouberry: Creative idea although I'm getting flashbacks from Ocarina of Time. This also is a fairly similar concept to a quest I have written down already.

@Toa Smoke Monster: I like these suggestions, they allow me to either explore the BIONICLE Universe or create something new or interesting. In this case, the "Ranau" is a fish I made up.

@Dj Khaled: Good to know.

@Axilus Prime: One of the better suggestions as to what's to come in this quest. 

@phinto: I liked this idea.

@xboxtravis: I wonder what emotions the others represent. Air = fun, ice = cool(?), Water = peace, etc.

@Dio Brando: The obvious choice.

@bohrokman: Pretty spot on with what happened.

@ouberry: I imagine becoming a toa of light would be difficult for a Fe-Matoran. 

@Ghidora: I like this idea and I may or may not have figured out a way to include it into the quest in some manner.

@the mavrick: It would be best to send any information regarding the use of a person's character through PM. Even if it's just a cameo, there are likely things that would need to be discussed regarding the placement of a character. Also, I can't place your character as a cameo for two reasons.

1. Your character is a male Ga-Matoran. Since this story follows the actual BIONICLE Universe, this wouldn't be possible.
  2. The colors are off. I can easily fit the body's colors in Ga-Metru but the eye color is light blue where all the other Ga-Matoran have yellow eyes.

@Kohnoh Toa of the Green: You are absolutely correct.

@the mavrick: at the moment I can't cameo your character in the universe. The closest I can to doing so is by showing Soran's thoughts and having your character's appearance be in his thoughts, as this would explain the color differences. To do this I would need obviously a suggestion to show what Soran is thinking and for you to have a relevant suggestion for it.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the comic,

~Soran

Edited by Soran
  • Upvote 5
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png