Bzpower Pet Peeves

Dralcax

BZP drama never goes well. Just look at this topic and you'll see the result, to be honest. =/ Still, political discussion could be a little less strict, but it just can't be opened to issues that will encourage flame wars and the like. It won't work out like that, sadly, so that's the only reason that it isn't allowed. I'd like to talk politics, but I guess since this is a website for kids, politics is a more restricted topic of discussion, same as religion. Simple as that.

Yep. There are three things we don't discuss on BZpower: Religion, Politics and the Great Pumpkin.. Edited by BenLuke-116

BZP drama never goes well. Just look at this topic and you'll see the result, to be honest. =/ Still, political discussion could be a little less strict, but it just can't be opened to issues that will encourage flame wars and the like. It won't work out like that, sadly, so that's the only reason that it isn't allowed. I'd like to talk politics, but I guess since this is a website for kids, politics is a more restricted topic of discussion, same as religion. Simple as that.

Of course this topic isn't going to be all happy or whatever- this is about what bugs people on BZPower. The topic has a (somewhat) negative subject matter, so naturally there's going to be a little conflict. There's nothing wrong with that, because people are just stating their opinions.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Of course this topic isn't going to be all happy or whatever- this is about what bugs people on BZPower. The topic has a (somewhat) negative subject matter, so naturally there's going to be a little conflict. There's nothing wrong with that, because people are just stating their opinions.
Technically the one problem with this, as it was introduced into the topic of this same exact subject on the old forums: Flaming and trolling. Seems to have died down slightly, but still a major problem. Which is also one of my pet peeves, trolling and flaming and the like. Examples of that have been this whole wet mane pony ordeal (not heading toward that subject, using that as an example), and the Bionicle supporters who think that MLP is a threat to having Bionicle return and start trolling the subject.Still, this topic is a strong example of flaming and the like, and I can probably suggest that topics like this shouldn't be started in the future, as it gets near pretty sensitive subjects like politics, religion, etc.. So yeah, just a word of advice, I guess.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I must say this:I truly do not have any BZP pet peeves.Some people may consider certain things I campaign against to be pet peeves of mine. But a pet peeve is essentially something that doesn't annoy others; it typically annoys only yourself. When I tell of my 'pet peeves' to others who are not up-to-date on my affairs (granted, a very few others, but a few others nonetheless) they have thus far agreed with my complaints.I probably did have pet peeves a while ago...But now, I harbor none.-The Fearless Leader

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

Technically the one problem with this, as it was introduced into the topic of this same exact subject on the old forums: Flaming and trolling. Seems to have died down slightly, but still a major problem. Which is also one of my pet peeves, trolling and flaming and the like. Examples of that have been this whole wet mane pony ordeal (not heading toward that subject, using that as an example), and the Bionicle supporters who think that MLP is a threat to having Bionicle return and start trolling the subject.Still, this topic is a strong example of flaming and the like, and I can probably suggest that topics like this shouldn't be started in the future, as it gets near pretty sensitive subjects like politics, religion, etc.. So yeah, just a word of advice, I guess.
What is "Wet Mane?" Sorry I don't follow the brony stuff.

aouROFb.png

Technically the one problem with this, as it was introduced into the topic of this same exact subject on the old forums: Flaming and trolling. Seems to have died down slightly, but still a major problem. Which is also one of my pet peeves, trolling and flaming and the like. Examples of that have been this whole wet mane pony ordeal (not heading toward that subject, using that as an example), and the Bionicle supporters who think that MLP is a threat to having Bionicle return and start trolling the subject.

It was an image lifted from the second season episode "Sisterhooves Social", where one of the mane ponies, Rarity, got her mane thoroughly doused. (Wet manes had appeared earlier, in season one, but the Sisterhooves Social mane became the debacle.) One of the curators of a large pony site (which must remain anonymous due to its large commenting system and occasionally inappropriate content) posted a vector of Rarity - lifted from the episode - but cropped out to make her look semi-seductive. The vector was altered by the Photoshop wizards of the world, and all ponies ended up getting "wet mane'd". This included some male characters, which instantly creeped out even the most faithful of the bronies.Wet mane images were posted in the BZPower blogs, and the comments got a bit saucy - too much so, in fact, as blog leader DeeVee stepped in and said "tone it down". The images were never removed and were never formally banned, but the posters of the wet manes got offended. Things got a bit heated - the wet mane posters and defenders attacked DeeVee for his "banning" of them, and DeeVee attacked back in defense. After a PM to Black Six, he investigated the situation, allowing any wet mane image as long as the commenters didn't break BZP's rules, "overruling" DeeVee.The more you know. Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

This is gonna get a lot of people angry, but...I think we should lift restrictions on (discussing, at least) leaked images. I mean, we didn't steal them from Lego ourselves, and once it hits the web, I think it should be fair game for anyone. That's how it works on other forums...

Technically the one problem with this, as it was introduced into the topic of this same exact subject on the old forums: Flaming and trolling. Seems to have died down slightly, but still a major problem. Which is also one of my pet peeves, trolling and flaming and the like. Examples of that have been this whole wet mane pony ordeal (not heading toward that subject, using that as an example), and the Bionicle supporters who think that MLP is a threat to having Bionicle return and start trolling the subject.

It was an image lifted from the second season episode "Sisterhooves Social", where one of the mane ponies, Rarity, got her mane thoroughly doused. (Wet manes had appeared earlier, in season one, but the Sisterhooves Social mane became the debacle.) One of the curators of a large pony site (which must remain anonymous due to its large commenting system and occasionally inappropriate content) posted a vector of Rarity - lifted from the episode - but cropped out to make her look semi-seductive. The vector was altered by the Photoshop wizards of the world, and all ponies ended up getting "wet mane'd". This included some male characters, which instantly creeped out even the most faithful of the bronies.Wet mane images were posted in the BZPower blogs, and the comments got a bit saucy - too much so, in fact, as blog leader DeeVee stepped in and said "tone it down". The images were never removed and were never formally banned, but the posters of the wet manes got offended. Things got a bit heated - the wet mane posters and defenders attacked DeeVee for his "banning" of them, and DeeVee attacked back in defense. After a PM to Black Six, he investigated the situation, allowing any wet mane image as long as the commenters didn't break BZP's rules, "overruling" DeeVee.The more you know.
I haven't seen the comments, but I think DeeVee overreacted to the pictures. I've seen racier stuff in the BZPower art forum.Thanks for clearing this up, Black Six.EDIT: Seen the comments now. Really, DeeVee? These are all really just along the lines of "she's hot," etc. Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

This is gonna get a lot of people angry, but...I think we should lift restrictions on leaked images. I mean, we didn't steal them from Lego ourselves, and once it hits the web, I think it should be fair game for anyone. That's how it works on other forums...

The thing is, the fact that once they are uploaded they become widespread doesn´t mean they aren´t still illegally distributed. BZPower obviously doesn´t want to support anything that is illegal, especially when it concerns LEGO who we want to maintain a good relationship with.~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

This is gonna get a lot of people angry, but...I think we should lift restrictions on leaked images. I mean, we didn't steal them from Lego ourselves, and once it hits the web, I think it should be fair game for anyone. That's how it works on other forums...

The thing is, the fact that once they are uploaded they become widespread doesn´t mean they aren´t still illegally distributed. BZPower obviously doesn´t want to support anything that is illegal, especially when it concerns LEGO who we want to maintain a good relationship with.~Gata. ;)
Lego lets people discuss leaked images on its own message boards. No joke. I don't think we'd have too much to worry about.

And those forums are completely moderated to the point that posts have to be approved of. They have total control over what people say so I think it's safe for them to let their own forum do what it wants. Our forum has all of these freedoms that would allow us to actually link to the pictures and keep talking about it. They don't want that because they were illegaly leaked. If we did that we'd lose all of these great priveledges like getting exclusives like special prizes, invites, and even having Greg as a member to answer questions and talk with us. Leaked images and loosened rules would really make our site just like the rest.

Edited by Icicle

Hey look I almost have 1000 posts

And those forums are completely moderated to the point that posts have to be approved of. They have total control over what people say so I think it's safe for them to let their own forum do what it wants. Our forum has all of these freedoms that would allow us to actually link to the pictures and keep talking about it. They don't want that because they were illegaly leaked. If we did that we'd lose all of these great priveledges like getting exclusives like special prizes, invites, and even having Greg as a member to answer questions and talk with us. Leaked images and loosened rules would really make our site just like the rest.

What are you talking about?! The heavy moderation of every post on the Lego message boards is exactly my point! Lego reads every post, so obviously they're okay with discussion of leaked images, so I'm saying we should be able to discuss them on here (I also think we should be able to link to them, but I see why not there, so that's besides the point).Besides, Lego banned Greg from talking to members he doesn't know are over 13 (almost everybody), and he hasn't made contact with anybody since sometime in October.

If we did that we'd lose all of these great priveledges like getting exclusives like special prizes, invites, and even having Greg as a member to answer questions and talk with us. Leaked images and loosened rules would really make our site just like the rest.

Which is bad whyyyy?
I'm always amazed at your need to be argumentative on any subject.As for your question of why, if it's about the LEGO thing well in that case we lose access to events like Toy Fair and exclusive information on future sets and sets to review. If you want to know why it's bad to become like every other site, then we lose part of our identity and what makes us unique. We've carved out a little niche on the web, why suddenly become less unique in an environment inundated with sites filling the same needs?

Yo.

As for your question of why, if it's about the LEGO thing well in that case we lose access to events like Toy Fair and exclusive information on future sets and sets to review. If you want to know why it's bad to become like every other site, then we lose part of our identity and what makes us unique. We've carved out a little niche on the web, why suddenly become less unique in an environment inundated with sites filling the same needs?

But the site would probably live without all that. I'd certainly prefer to be able to discuss leaks over getting these mild 'exclusives', but that's just me.- Tilius
And right now BZPower's survival prospects are less-than-amazing now that Bionicle is over. This site needs to maintain its unique status, or it will disappear.

And right now BZPower's survival prospects are less-than-amazing now that Bionicle is over. This site needs to maintain its unique status, or it will disappear.

So you're saying that BZP is basically nothing without its 'exclusives'?- Tilius
Well, when a site is basically dedicated to talking about a dead toy line and doesn't have much activity, I'd say that the "exclusives" are at least important. I don't think that she's saying BZP is nothing, but clearly the unique "exclusives" set it apart and make it somewhat different from the many other LEGO websites.~ BioGioEDIT: Less chain-quote-y now.EDIT 2: Now with 100% less assuming that people are male! Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

So you're saying that BZP is basically nothing without its 'exclusives'?- Tilius
Well, when a site is basically dedicated to talking about a dead toy line and doesn't have much activity, I'd say that the "exclusives" are at least important. I don't think that he's saying BZP is nothing, but clearly the unique "exclusives" set it apart and make it somewhat different from the many other LEGO websites.~ BioGioEDIT: Less chain-quote-y now.
It was just a blanket statement. BZPower cannot afford to lose much uniqueness at this point in time. While the "exculsives" aren't everything that make us unique, it does have some part in it, so I tend to support them.Also, I'd think that if this site went out of favor with Lego, we would lose any chance of Bionicle or Greg coming back. Period. Slim chance of that happening now, but I would hate to throw that out just becuase of a few images. I don't think it's worth it. Side Note: Me in third person= she. (I'll take that as a badge of honor. No silly girliness here.)

What are you talking about?! The heavy moderation of every post on the Lego message boards is exactly my point! Lego reads every post, so obviously they're okay with discussion of leaked images, so I'm saying we should be able to discuss them on here (I also think we should be able to link to them, but I see why not there, so that's besides the point).Besides, Lego banned Greg from talking to members he doesn't know are over 13 (almost everybody), and he hasn't made contact with anybody since sometime in October.
Greg has been a member for as long as I can remember being here. That was pretty great when we could have discussion with him, an since his current status is getting an online "license," breaking a few rules that Lego would not support may scare him away. And I guess I have to clarify that when I mean they have total control on their forums, they have total control. If anyone tries to link, go too far, or break the rules, they won't show up. We can, though. It may take 5 minutes for the moderators to notice, or 2 hours. Lego has a problem with us discussing it on another uncontrollable website, I think if we want to stay with our good status with Lego, we should follow their rules.

Greg has been a member for as long as I can remember being here. That was pretty great when we could have discussion with him, an since his current status is getting an online "license," breaking a few rules that Lego would not support may scare him away. And I guess I have to clarify that when I mean they have total control on their forums, they have total control. If anyone tries to link, go too far, or break the rules, they won't show up. We can, though. It may take 5 minutes for the moderators to notice, or 2 hours. Lego has a problem with us discussing it on another uncontrollable website, I think if we want to stay with our good status with Lego, we should follow their rules.
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. These aren't Lego's rules, these are the rules the staff put in place, and here's the simplest explanation I could write to explain to you why the rule needs to be lifted: Lego moderates every comment on its message boards. Therefore, Lego knows about and approves of everything on its message boards. There is much, much discussion of leaked prototype set images on the Lego message boards.Therefore, Lego obviously approves of discussion of (although maybe not links to) leaked prototype sets. And finally, there is no reason for a ban on discussion of leaked prototype sets on BZPower because Lego obviously doesn't mind us doing so. Case closed. Edited by Toa Zaz

What are you talking about?! The heavy moderation of every post on the Lego message boards is exactly my point! Lego reads every post,

I made about a dozen of posts there, all of which were kind and well within the rules and guidelines....Only one of them ever passed moderation. :P Edited by Valenti

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

We don't discuss leaked sets on BZPower because TLG has asked us not to. I don't know what is happening on the official LEGO messageboards, but LEGO will (and has, often), send cease-and-desist letters to places hosting leaked images. They have told us they would like us not to discuss leaked images- so we don't.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

We don't discuss leaked sets on BZPower because TLG has asked us not to. I don't know what is happening on the official LEGO messageboards, but LEGO will (and has, often), send cease-and-desist letters to places hosting leaked images. They have told us they would like us not to discuss leaked images- so we don't.

Then we should discuss them anyway and tell Lego to take a look at its own message boards next time they tell us to stop.

I thought my post was clear; I guess I have to reiterate.They have complete control on their message boards. They have no control over us. We can go pretty far with discussion on a lucky day the moderators don't notice. Their conversations would be pretty bad, since on a lucky day for them a post gets approved (if it is approved) within a day. They don't want us to, so we want to respect them and keep an established relationship and keep all of the perks, like having the author of Bionicle, and Lego Magazine Editor (I think?), I don't know, be a member? It's not about hypocrisy, it's about being respectful.

I thought my post was clear; I guess I have to reiterate.They have complete control on their message boards. They have no control over us. We can go pretty far with discussion on a lucky day the moderators don't notice. Their conversations would be pretty bad, since on a lucky day for them a post gets approved (if it is approved) within a day. They don't want us to, so we want to respect them and keep an established relationship and keep all of the perks, like having the author of Bionicle, and Lego Magazine Editor (I think?), I don't know, be a member? It's not about hypocrisy, it's about being respectful.

It's not about being respectful because Lego obviously DOESN'T CARE IF WE TALK ABOUT LEAKED SETS. We can talk about leaked sets because LEGO IS OKAY WITH IT, HENCE THE DISCUSSION ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS. Is it really that hard to understand?

Although I perfectly understand why LEGO doesn´t want us to discuss leaked sets, Toa Zaz makes a very good point. It´s something that should be fixed on LEGO´s side rather than ours, though. If LEGO doesn´t want us to discuss leaked sets, we should respect that. What would be far more interesting to know is why actually LEGO allows discussion of leaked sets in their own Message Boards while not wanting us to. Someone should really go ahead and ask them.~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Although I perfectly understand why LEGO doesn´t want us to discuss leaked sets, Toa Zaz makes a very good point. It´s something that should be fixed on LEGO´s side rather than ours, though. If LEGO doesn´t want us to discuss leaked sets, we should respect that. What would be far more interesting to know is why actually LEGO allows discussion of leaked sets in their own Message Boards while not wanting us to. Someone should really go ahead and ask them.~Gata. ;)

I'll do that.

It's not about being respectful because Lego obviously DOESN'T CARE IF WE TALK ABOUT LEAKED SETS. We can talk about leaked sets because LEGO IS OKAY WITH IT, HENCE THE DISCUSSION ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS. Is it really that hard to understand?
LEGO is not okay with it. Members hosting leaked sets on Flickr received cease-and-desist letters just this week, in fact. Everytime they have been posted here in the past, LEGO has contacted us. I'm going to assume that a different branch of LEGO covers their boards than their legal team, so they probably aren't even aware of it. Giant companies are notorious for not having that kind of communication. They honestly might not be aware. They are aware of when it happens on BZP, Flickr, etc. And the legal team puts a stop to it. There are sites that don't care, and if you want to discuss leaked sets, you are welcome to go there.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

The leaked images policy is annoying, but I fully understand the reasoning behind it. BZPower wants to be partners with Lego and share what a dedicated fanbase has to say, and in return, we don't blab their secrets all over the internet. I'm interested to hear what Lego has to say in response to Zaz's question.

aouROFb.png

There are a few; while political discussion and questionable content is cracked down on, the rules seem more lax when it comes to sigs and personal statements.Also, complainers, and people with generic usernames, like taking a character and adding one letter to the front of their name. :biggrin: -TLhikan

Edited by TLhikan

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

LEGO is not okay with it. Members hosting leaked sets on Flickr received cease-and-desist letters just this week, in fact. Everytime they have been posted here in the past, LEGO has contacted us. I'm going to assume that a different branch of LEGO covers their boards than their legal team, so they probably aren't even aware of it. Giant companies are notorious for not having that kind of communication. They honestly might not be aware. They are aware of when it happens on BZP, Flickr, etc. And the legal team puts a stop to it. There are sites that don't care, and if you want to discuss leaked sets, you are welcome to go there.
I'm not for discussing leaked pictures myself, but if LEGO is unaware of their own message boards having leaked images, they should do something about that before sending cease-and-desist letters out.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'm not for discussing leaked pictures myself, but if LEGO is unaware of their own message boards having leaked images, they should do something about that before sending cease-and-desist letters out.
This.Pet Peeves? Ignored posts in the RPG.

things that bother me...Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6not being able to even say the name of the video site that absolutely everyone who's heard of the internet knows about and has undoubtedly already been to anyway.the new sigs are monstrous. they really don't need to be so huge.Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6and lastly, i'm greatly bothered by the fact that these forums were down for so long that hardly anyone came back. CoT used to be buzzing with activity, now barely anyone says anything there. this place feels kinda dead now as a result.EDIT: oh, also i dislike that we can't post links to sites with forums. wikia sites all have incredibly terrible, archaic forums, yet they're relevant in almost every CoT thread. I can't stand it when I post a link to a yugioh card featured in the yugioh wikia, and it gets removed because theres "forums".

Edited by Black Six
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6

seriously? there is absolutely not a single legitimate reason i can think of as to why Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6 is not allowed to be said. can you please give me one? Edited by Black Six
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

seriously? there is absolutely not a single legitimate reason i can think of as to why ... is not allowed to be said. can you please give me one?
Those are the initials of a once more popular BIONICLE forum and news site. But don´t worry, it will be considered when the word filter is updated.~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

seriously? there is absolutely not a single legitimate reason i can think of as to why ... is not allowed to be said. can you please give me one?
Those are the initials of a once more popular BIONICLE forum and news site. But don´t worry, it will be considered when the word filter is updated.~Gata. ;)
But doesn't that make it kind of dumb to jump on him for bypassing it when it's generally regarded as a pointless and outdated filter anyway? Just sayin'.- Tilius
The thing is, at the point where we start evaluating certain filters and saying 'this one is pointless' and 'this one makes sense', it all quickly becomes too much of a mess like it has become with the exceptions to the advertising rules. While that has an easy fix (post a list), the exceptions to the word filter do not have one besides updating the word filter. Instead of simply taking on a specific filter and calling it null (and then the same with another and yet another), better to simply update the entire filter so we don´t have to put up with confusing exceptions.~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Grammar. I really dislike it when someone posts something like this:hehe col i like it wen the rakshi wlks to the bar andorder's a drink.Also, as Sumiki said, flame wars. It really annoys me when it is easily solved by a quote from BS01, but then the flame-ers disregard it.