Bzpower Pet Peeves

Dralcax

Grammar. I really dislike it when someone posts something like this:hehe col i like it wen the rakshi wlks to the bar andorder's a drink.Also, as Sumiki said, flame wars. It really annoys me when it is easily solved by a quote from BS01, but then the flame-ers disregard it.

Yeah, i don't like bad grammar, either. I just try to remember myself using that though. I used to do that all the time. So I can't really criticize others for doing it.

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

In one short line: Haters.Yes, this is my big gripe.One of the reasons why there can't be controversial discussions here (Although they keep happening despite) is the general immaturity and argumentativeness of much of the memberbase here. I personally am glad that debating on more serious subjects is nixed here: it keeps the peace more.Of course, I have other gripes, such as the skin and a few disadvantages that the new forum has over the old software, but they aren't major.

Okay, new pet peeve: I started a Ninjago wiki on Wikia. I worked it up, and have most of the essential information on it. I even turn off all the blogs and chats (And almost get lynched for it) so that I could advertise here. I link to it in the Ninjago discussion thread, and it gets looked over, so I decide to wait a bit, and then bring it up again. During that time, another user created a Ninjago wiki which currently has far less information on it, and posts it. I thought nothing of it, but decided to wait a bit longer to post my wiki again to keep it from looking like I was competing. The second wiki is posted again, so I continue to bide my time. Then, I check out the frontpage, and the second wiki is being advertised there, with no mention of the one I created and worked so hard on. I was kinda offended. I don't know who I would PM about it though, to try and get some equal representation?

Edited by King Joe

Okay, new pet peeve: I started a Ninjago wiki on Wikia. I worked it up, and have most of the essential information on it. I even turn off all the blogs and chats (And almost get lynched for it) so that I could advertise here. I link to it in the Ninjago discussion thread, and it gets looked over, so I decide to wait a bit, and then bring it up again. During that time, another user created a Ninjago wiki which currently has far less information on it, and posts it. I thought nothing of it, but decided to wait a bit longer to post my wiki again to keep it from looking like I was competing. The second wiki is posted again, so I continue to bide my time. Then, I check out the frontpage, and the second wiki is being advertised there, with no mention of the one I created and worked so hard on. I was kinda offended. I don't know who I would PM about it though, to try and get some equal representation?

I understand your frustration, but I suppose the wiki of KanohiJournal was featured because they reported it to the news and not because it has a privilege. I suggest you ask 55555, who posted the news story, about it to be sure. Also, keep in mind News Reporters can´t see something for sure if you don´t report it to them. ;)~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I''ll go ahead and make the obligatory "Bionicles" comment.Aside from that, I'd say terribly formatted, all-text sigs.

I can sympathize with that? People saying "Bionicles" bugs me. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/annoyed2.gif

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

The members that ship ponies that really shouldn't be shipped. I mean, it's not because of their genders or their race or anything... It's just... Their personalities so do not go together! -insert pony rant here- By Celestia's beard, I do not understand such strange pairings...Also: everyone that does not ship Hahli and Jaller/ Hewkii and Macku. Seriously, this site needs to get on that. D=Not to mention people who are totally intolerant of different ideas. Like, someone who says "everyone should have a pony avatar" or "nobody should have a pony avatar" I mean, what's up with that? XDThen there's the fact that we all have a signature, yet people still sign their usernames... above their signature.Okay, it's not something I totally hate looking at, but it does bug me every now and then. Then there's when people don't understand sarcasm and it causes a misunderstanding (or when someone is being serious, but they're so over-the-top that it looks like they're using sarcasm). Not so much the people that use sarcasm (guilty), more-so the misunderstandings.

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

The name change. I wish it was 60 days. I have been wanting to change it to Chaos Dralcax, which is a lot less wordy, but it's still 30 days shy, and my dad won't let me pay for Premeir. I mean, three months? I understand the reasoning, but it can get annoying.

aouROFb.png

The name change. I wish it was 60 days. I have been wanting to change it to Chaos Dralcax, which is a lot less wordy, but it's still 30 days shy, and my dad won't let me pay for Premeir. I mean, three months? I understand the reasoning, but it can get annoying.

That bugs me too. I didn't know about the 90 day limit. the "_TheLegend" part is way too haughty for me. I just want a simple"Eragon3443"

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

Hmm, lets see...People posting arcs in the BZPRPG that only include their characters, but in no way letting other people join in. Another thing, toa, matoran, turaga, etc having tech, in the RPG even when it says in the rules that its Vortixx and Skakdi only. Bad Grammer, too.And why do people want some filters to be removed? To be able use the words? Its a Kid Friendly Site. Besides, the cool dude filter is a win.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Hmm, lets see...People posting arcs in the BZPRPG that only include their characters, but in no way letting other people join in. Another thing, toa, matoran, turaga, etc having tech, in the RPG even when it says in the rules that its Vortixx and Skakdi only. Bad Grammer, too.And why do people want some filters to be removed? To be able use the words? Its a Kid Friendly Site. Besides, the cool dude filter is a win.

And you wonder why other forums with less strict filters are more popular than us...

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

And why do people want some filters to be removed? To be able use the words? Its a Kid Friendly Site. Besides, the cool dude filter is a win.

And you wonder why other forums with less strict filters are more popular than us...
The alternative is a board full of flaming members. The majority of the word filter contains filters for words that I don't think anyone disagrees with filtering. Only a minority of filters are controversial, and another small handful are simply outmoded.Filter restrictions are not the only factor in determining the popularity of a forum. You have to consider other reasons why BZPower isn't active like some other sites are - and that depends mostly on the fact that BZPower is still mostly about BIONICLE, which is an all-but-dead line, not on whether or not a member can insult another member using a now-filtered word.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

BZPower is still more active than every other BIONICLE forum, not to mention most other, if not all other, LEGO message boards.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

One of the 'pet peeves' I'm having is how the new forum software handles quotes. The old forum software used to format quotes like

; now it takes

.Annoying. Also' date=' the quotes, when formatted correctly (and they are harder to format),[i']unless a member's specific post is quoted, [/i]the tagline reads "BS01 said:" or "Greg said:" instead of "Quote (BS01)" or Quote (GregF). It kind of looks weird when formatting outside posts of BS01 and/or books.And you cannot do twenty-nine quotes in a post without the forum software declaring that the amount of opening and closing quote tags do not match. :)

• 2 weeks later...

What bugs me, and this is really a "pet peeve" is that if there's a negative (or occasionally neutral) topic on here, someone always says that it's too negative and that there needs to be more positivity on the board; but if there's a positive topic, everyone's all over it. In my opinion, I see no reason for positivity and negativity to be anything but equal around here.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

What bugs me, and this is really a "pet peeve" is that if there's a negative (or occasionally neutral) topic on here, someone always says that it's too negative and that there needs to be more positivity on the board; but if there's a positive topic, everyone's all over it. In my opinion, I see no reason for positivity and negativity to be anything but equal around here.

Generally speaking, positivity breeds more positivity. The more positive people are on the board, the "happier" the atmosphere of the board.Conversely, the more negative posts on the board, the "less-happy" the atmosphere of the board.Obviously, if there's an issue that can only be addresed in a negative manner, it has to be done. But outside of those reasons, there's never a real reason to be overly negative when posting.
jlovfkk.jpg

Generally speaking, positivity breeds more positivity. The more positive people are on the board, the "happier" the atmosphere of the board.Conversely, the more negative posts on the board, the "less-happy" the atmosphere of the board.Obviously, if there's an issue that can only be addresed in a negative manner, it has to be done. But outside of those reasons, there's never a real reason to be overly negative when posting.
I'm not saying people need to go out of their way to be negative or anything like that, I'm saying that people shouldn't keep other people from being reasonably negative and be all for an extreme level of positivity. Topics get closed down for being too negative all the time, but no matter how overly optimistic someone acts, everybody's all for it.

The fact that the word filter is so strict, I can't even quote some lines from Bionicle (I.E. any line that contains "cool dude"). When your word filter is more strict than the series it's based off, I feel like there's a problem.Yes, the euphemism "cool dude" can be funny sometimes, but on the whole it's annoying. And why is "fricking" uncensored when it's arguably more offensive?That's really my only complaint about the site besides ponies, but people are entitled to like whatever they want.-Canama

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

I'm not saying people need to go out of their way to be negative or anything like that, I'm saying that people shouldn't keep other people from being reasonably negative and be all for an extreme level of positivity. Topics get closed down for being too negative all the time, but no matter how overly optimistic someone acts, everybody's all for it.
Excuse me, I'm trying to understand what you're getting at. It seems like you have a problem that nobody voices complaints against posts that are "overtly optimistic." (Is there even such a thing as being too obviously optimistic?) I don't think there's any rule against being too positive, nor should there be. I've seen plenty of topics and posts that were "reasonably negative" and they weren't closed, censored, or given any sort of warning for it. What the administration does look down on, however, is hate topics. If you go into a topic (or create a topic) for the sole reason of expressing your strong disapproval with nothing else to say, all you're doing is creating a negative atmosphere and a base for a full-scale flame war. There are plenty of ways to say you disagree with someone or something without fear of administrative action for being too negative. It's called being polite and respectful. It's what separates the discussions here from the flaming #####-fests of other forums.While the discussions may sometimes be forced (or nudged) towards the optimistic, it keeps the conversation civil and intelligent. Besides, The Lego Group has supported BZPower many times in the past, even once linking to it from the Bionicle site. (Am I mistaken? It seems like that's how the site came to my attention.) It goes without saying that we were, and are, a Lego fansite and we have members who have come directly from the Lego forums. We would be doing a disservice to TLG if we allowed members to start hateful discussions, flame without regard, and generally ##### on each other for disagreeing. The administration may lean towards stricter policy, but we have to draw the line somewhere and it's best to err on the side of overt caution.

And why do people want some filters to be removed? To be able use the words? Its a Kid Friendly Site. Besides, the cool dude filter is a win.

This. It gets a bit annoying when writing, but there are other words that convey the same meaning and on the whole it's just another amusing quirk of BZPower culture. It's best to keep it, even if just to mess with new members. :P

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Why would TLG care what we say to each other?Here's an example: somebody starts a "worst set of the year" topic or something like that. People get mad about the negativity, and it probably gets closed down. Somebody starts a "best set of the year" topic. Nobody complains.What I'm saying is, if there's going to be positivity, than, to achieve neutrality, negativity should be okay around here.Also... why would you seriously keep something around that solely messes with new members? All it obviously does is get in the way unnecessarily, so you guys should get rid of it. And Canama is right. This is a Bionicle forum, so anything that goes there should go here.

TLG doesn't, not that I'm aware. I believe that we are being courteous to them since they have supported us. It gives Lego a bad name when they supply us with prototype parts for contests, advertising from their site, and direct contact with their employees, only for us to turn into a degrading nest of nasties with no regard to the sort of crowd we put ourselves out to draw in.I honestly don't see why we have to achieve neutrality. As I said before, we're able to have intelligent conversations and disagreements as is, and I don't see why we should change that to keep us from being too well-mannered and cheerful. Negativity is allowed as long as it's not prevalent or hateful. As I said, there are ways to disagree without being accused of negativity.Besides, not only is "worst set of the year" an opinion-based subject and therefore susceptible to flame, (Fun fact: when people say that they hate your favorite set you're more likely to get upset than if they list their favorite set and it doesn't match yours.) there are better ways to start a topic like that without being so negative: Perhaps "what was your least favorite set this year, and why didn't you like it" is better that "worst set of the year."I didn't say whether we are or aren't keeping that asspect of the word filter. That's not my call. I'm just saying it funny, and if it were up to me (which it's not) I would keep it. I remember having to discover many things about the word filter the hard way and it's amusing to see other members call each other cool dudes and then realize it doesn't work. Besides, we've lived with that word being filtered for as long as I can remember and I'm pretty sure we've all found ways to live without calling each other that. Nowadays it's just a joke that hinders no one. Like a cliche that's been repeated so often that it's lost the original meaning, it's funny because it's useless.

Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Actually, at this point since we know what "cool dude" really means on the forums, and it is not like we commonly use that in colloquial conversation anymore, it is starting to lose its effectiveness. For example, we are all a bunch of cool dudes for arguing about whether a cool dudish word filter should be in place. I'm sure you know what I really meant in that sentence. The same thing applied to stories. My audiance knows what "cool dude" really means in my stories. Thus I am not bothered.

Why would TLG care what we say to each other?Here's an example: somebody starts a "worst set of the year" topic or something like that. People get mad about the negativity, and it probably gets closed down. Somebody starts a "best set of the year" topic. Nobody complains.What I'm saying is, if there's going to be positivity, than, to achieve neutrality, negativity should be okay around here.Also... why would you seriously keep something around that solely messes with new members? All it obviously does is get in the way unnecessarily, so you guys should get rid of it. And Canama is right. This is a Bionicle forum, so anything that goes there should go here.

Look, we get it. You just want to be Mr Negative Nancy all the time. That's a terrible way to live your life, but if that's what you want to do, go for it. I'm not going to stop you. But having a positive attitude is psychologically proven to be better for you, and to help you live a longer life. So seriously, chill. We voice plenty of negative opinions on BZPower, and no one is forcing you into some hypocritical positive mindset. We're all for constructive negativity. Not for flaming or bashing (which is what "what's the worst set ever or of this year" topic would be).Chill.Also, we're not here to espouse some esoteric "neutrality". This is a fansite. Fans, in general, like what they're fans of. They have criticisms of it, sure. But the overwhelming opinion is still going to be "but I like this".

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

My biggest gripe? People who proclaim about the staff being tyrants.I'll admit, I don't see eye to eye with the staff. I remember several times I heavily disagreed with a few specific ones. And in some ways I agree the staff seem a bit on the tyrant side. But ultimately all the staff answer to the admins, and if they seriously abuse their power, they answer to Tufi or B6, both of whom I've never seen abuse their own power. So they're a fairly effective safety net.But to all of you who say the staff are proto deducting tyrants... if they did deduct your proto for speaking out, wouldn't that only further your point? So every time you post a 'negative' post about the evils of the staff and your proto bar stays the same, you actually further disprove your own point. Tyrants and dictators don't allow hate speech about themselves, they don't debate it, they just remove it.The staff are far, far, from perfect, but they aren't tyrants.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The random flame wars and seemingly never ending overuse of every emoticon in a single post.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Not being able to post a video site without it getting censored,like #######.EDIT:see?Newbies and haters.Signatures that are all-text,and no image.People that got into BIONICLE at the very end,so they don't know what they're talking about.-CDP

Edited by cooldynamyteproductions

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

Signatures that are all-text,and no image.

Oh my gosh, this is horrible. It causes prostate cancer and terrorist attacks!BTW, your signature is pretty much all text except for that scintilla of a banner.

People that got into BIONICLE at the very end,so they don't know what they're talking about.

You're generalizing, and a rather unfounded generalization at that. It's called learning, and BS01.Cause you know, historians know exactly what they're talking about even if they weren't there. Edited by Waffles

My biggest gripe? People who proclaim about the staff being tyrants.I'll admit, I don't see eye to eye with the staff. I remember several times I heavily disagreed with a few specific ones. And in some ways I agree the staff seem a bit on the tyrant side. But ultimately all the staff answer to the admins, and if they seriously abuse their power, they answer to Tufi or B6, both of whom I've never seen abuse their own power. So they're a fairly effective safety net.But to all of you who say the staff are proto deducting tyrants... if they did deduct your proto for speaking out, wouldn't that only further your point? So every time you post a 'negative' post about the evils of the staff and your proto bar stays the same, you actually further disprove your own point. Tyrants and dictators don't allow hate speech about themselves, they don't debate it, they just remove it.The staff are far, far, from perfect, but they aren't tyrants.

I know online tyranny, and I see none of it here. I'd love to name and shame, but BZPower frowns upon chatroom discussion.Intriguing how you said the bit I bolded, because that describes the admins of the chatroom I'm thinking quite well!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 2 weeks later...

Let's define "tyrant":1. An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions.2. A ruler who exercises power in a harsh, cruel manner.3. An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person.So, can anybody please give me an example of when the staff acted like this?

I don't really like it when people use bad grammar on the forums. However, as this is a problem which stretches all across the world - not just BZPower, or even the internet as a whole - this is not really anything that can be stopped by "the pushing of a few buttons". I also find it somewhat irritating when, in the Artwork and Creations forums, people give the exact opposite to constructive criticism, or fail to respond (appropriately) to given constructive criticism.I don't really have any other problems with the forums. I don't dabble around in them nearly as much as I used to, although if I was doing so, I'm sure that I would have more topics to bring to the table, as it were.johnuva_signoff.png

Let's define "tyrant":1. An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions.2. A ruler who exercises power in a harsh, cruel manner.3. An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person.So, can anybody please give me an example of when the staff acted like this?
Oooh! Oooh! Me! I do it! I break rules everyone else has to follow like it's nothing! That's gotta be tyrant-like right?

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Oooh! Oooh! Me! I do it! I break rules everyone else has to follow like it's nothing! That's gotta be tyrant-like right?
Well, ummmm... in BZPStuck you said a word that I wouldn't be allowed to say even now at age 15-almost-16 ("dicking", which is stated to be vulgar by the powers that be (I.E. Google)), violating BZP's family-friendly policy so..... I am going to have to say that you are a bad person and you should feel bad.You tyrannical monster.D:<-Canama

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

New members who, when posting MOCs, open the pics on their computer with their browser, then go to the address bar and copy-paste that, rather than properly hosting it. If one guy did it once, and was then educated on how to host and post images, it would be fine. But this has popped up many times already. Why can't we at least make it clearer, since it's the same misunderstanding.

aouROFb.png

What I hate most about BZP is that I can't follow a topic without stumbling upon a group of people arguing about the dumbest thing. Once it was whether or not Raw-Jaw was more like a gorilla or an elephant. Who cares??

The Gorilla Lobbyists. But yeah, it seems like EVERY BZPower topic turns into some kind of argument.

What I hate most about BZP is that I can't follow a topic without stumbling upon a group of people arguing about the dumbest thing. Once it was whether or not Raw-Jaw was more like a gorilla or an elephant. Who cares??

The Gorilla Lobbyists. But yeah, it seems like EVERY BZPower topic turns into some kind of argument.
I prefer the word "discussion". :)

I prefer the word "discussion". :)
Heated discussion? :P