Twitch Tuesday

Black Six

By the way, even though you left the music on, is the video staying up just fine? If not, is there any particular part that needs to be cut without having to mute the entire video? Personally, I'd like to keep to music on as I find it makes these games more lively, but it's still up to you since you're the one who's playing it.

Yes, it just means we can't monetize the video. But since YouTube recently increased the requirements for channels to be able to do that, it's not a problem for us anymore.
  • Upvote 1

That's great to hear that you can now leave the game music on without having to worry about YouTube taking it down. Too bad we still missed out on it for some of the earlier games played here, but I'm sure I'll get around to playing them myself soon enough so that at least I can eventually get the full experience on those games.

For this week's stream, with six levels for each branch, it looks like you are now halfway done with the one for General Grievous (three completed, three left to go). Definitely interesting to see how the vehicle levels in this game are different from what we saw in Star Wars Complete Saga. (And if my assumption is correct, it looks like this may have been the last Lego game to have dedicated vehicle levels.) Also, based on what I had skimmed through on the guide for this game, it looks like there could be quite an extensive hub area to explore, with certain areas that require a certain amount of gold bricks to access.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

If the arrangement of the character icons as they're unlocked are anything to go by, then it seems to me that the first branch you've been doing (four out of six levels now done) was meant to be the third in the story, and the one you just started (only one level out of six, so far) was meant to be the second in the story, leaving the one you have not yet started as what was meant to be first in the story. Just my speculation, so don't let that tell you how to play this game.

Interestingly, the two Lego games I've completed so far (Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter Years 1-4) came out immediately around the time of this game (first one after and first one before, respectively), and I've begun to notice some similarities among these games. (From Harry Potter, there's the mechanic of levitating parts around until they literally click into place on those purple connection surfaces, including building stairways out of blocks of various shapes. From Pirates of the Caribbean, all the characters available to purchase can be found walking around the hub area, and you'll have to walk up to them to be able to purchase them, in some cases needing to look around to find any particular character you want.)

Yeah, that technical issue was quite unexpected. I'm just glad you were able to resolve it somewhat quickly so we didn't miss out on much.

So it looks like completing all six levels of a branch leads to the game credits, much like how other Lego games at the time would do that at the end of each "movie" of a series, such as Harry Potter or Pirates of the Caribbean. (And apparently just like those games, this one shows some artwork related to the game as the credits roll.) And since you already completed one level of another branch, that means 8 out of the total of 20 levels are now complete.

That last level sure seemed quite difficult to figure out at times. Believe me, both times when you got really confused, the suggestions I would've made also turned out to be wrong, once I actually bothered to check the guide. I suppose it might be a good idea to have the guide on some quick access, if only so we don't have to watch you wandering around aimlessly for more than ten minutes.

Edited by Chronicler06

Well that sure turned out to be needlessly complicated at the end of the first level of this week's stream. While you were busy trying to force-shove that battle droid across the canyon into that hole, I checked the guide and it turns out you only had to do so for the ones that appeared right in front of that hole. The ones in the middle, you were supposed to crush them by blowing up the silver rocks above with that rocket launcher (which is why you saw something glowing up there), and that last one on the left, you were supposed to simply destroy it the standard way (and I believe it takes a double-jump attack with a lightsaber to take out the shield). Still impressive that you were persistent enough to eventually shove them all into that hole to the right, but unfortunately it turns out it didn't have to be that difficult.

Anyway, with levels 2 and 3 of that second branch done, the whole story mode of that game is now halfway complete. As always, I'll look forward to seeing where we go next.

Looks like things went a bit smoother this week. I find it interesting that, unlike in Star Wars Complete Saga, the vehicle levels in this game are done by not just riding around in those vehicles, but also some landing and walking around at certain parts too.

If I've been keeping track correctly, there's only one level left to go on that second branch, then it's the six levels of that final branch, followed by the epilogue level. At the current rate, this game could be done in four weeks, so I still believe that the next game to play after this one should be the Marvel Avengers due to that new movie coming out soon.

Edited by Chronicler06

If I've been keeping track correctly, there's only one level left to go on that second branch, then it's the six levels of that final branch, followed by the epilogue level. At the current rate, this game could be done in four weeks, so I still believe that the next game to play after this one should be the Marvel Avengers due to that new movie coming out soon.

Apparently there's some DLC coming out for LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 to tie in with Infinity War, so if it's a full level and not just characters I'm thinking we might hop back into that to check it out.

An RTS type of level? That was quite unexpected. Though I'm sure that to get True Jedi rank on that level, you'd have to not build many things, and once you've captured all bases, destroy everything you built to reclaim the studs you spent. Should be an interesting experience once I eventually get around to playing this game.

Well, not only is there the six levels from that third and final branch, but there's also that one epilogue level, so it looks like four weeks of livestreams left to go on this game. I'll leave it up to you to decide which games you'll play when, but here's my personal idea; finish up with Star Wars III, then move on to that Infinity War DLC for Marvel Superheroes 2, and then after that get started on Marvel Avengers.

Edited by Chronicler06

Two more RTS levels, that was quite surprising. Of course, these levels didn't require any building and seemed to be all about destroying the enemy bases, which might explain why these levels went by quicker than what we saw last week. Also, I think the reason you kept getting kicked out of those vehicles in the second level was simply because they're stolen vehicles, so they could only be used for a limited amount of time.

Just five levels (four to finish the last branch, plus the epilogue) left to go. Won't be much longer before this game is finished.

A vehicle level and another RTS level. I think it's pretty obvious by now that of the three story branches, this one is the one focused on the RTS style. Just two more levels left to go, followed by the epilogue level, and then this game is done.

Assuming the next two levels can be done in one stream next week, I was thinking that, for the week after, you could first finish Star Wars III with the epilogue level, then perhaps immediately switch over to Marvel Superheroes 2 for that Infinity War DLC you mentioned (if it's anything like the other DLC levels, it'll likely be just a quick one-area level), and then be able to start a new game the following week. Of course, that's making a lot of assumptions, so we'll see how things go after next week.

By the way, as I had recently mentioned on another topic, I recently started playing Lego Indiana Jones Original Adventures, another game listed on this poll. Even though I won't be voting for that game here for a while (my preference is Marvel Avengers first, followed by Pirates of the Caribbean), at least it'll be yet another game listed here that I'll become familiar with.

Edited by Chronicler06

That level sure took a while to complete for a number of reasons. Not only was there some additional stuff to do after the RTS portion, but also it sure did take you quite a while to figure out how to take control of those troops. (Hopefully, now that you know how to do that, the next level shouldn't take too long to finish.) I will say I remember seeing a teaser clip of this game way back when it first came out, and it looks like it was actually the opening cutscene of this level, so I guess it was neat that I was able to recognize much of the content of that cutscene after about seven years.

Anyway, just two levels left to go for this game. After that, my vote for the next game will still be for Marvel Avengers, but I'll leave it up to you on whether or not to try that Infinity War DLC for Marvel Superheroes 2.

Edited by Chronicler06

As demonstrated by the final part of that first level, it seems another one of the notable differences between older Lego games and newer ones is that, in certain areas where you must outrun something, the older games require you to actually keep running or your character will die and you'll lose studs, while the newer games have you running automatically and all you really have to do is move around to avoid hitting objects or falling off of ledges. Also, as you mentioned during the final part of the final level, those RTS levels apparently require you to occupy a certain number of bases in order to be able to purchase certain additional features, so that fact will certainly come in handy once I eventually play this game myself.

As I've frequently mentioned, the next game I'm voting for will be Marvel Avengers. Of the three games listed here not yet played, I'm already familiar with the other two from playing them myself, but it'll be quite a while before I get to Marvel Avengers, so I might as well take the opportunity to watch it on Twitch Tuesday. Not to mention, with Infinity War still showing in theaters, this seems like a good time to get started on the Lego game based on the previous two Avengers movies. (As for that Infinity War DLC for Marvel Superheroes 2, if it's anything like the other two DLC levels, then it'll probably consist of just one area and thus be rather quick, so perhaps you might consider waiting until one of those days when you'll have less than an hour available to try it.)

Well, if there were going to be technical issues, it was going to happen while trying the start the game for the first time. Glad that you were able to eventually get it to work.

Interesting that the story starts off with the start of the second movie, then jumps back to the start of the first movie and will presumably continue from there. Based on the total number of "True Avenger" ranks to earn, it looks like there will be a total of 15 levels in this game, and much like with the first Marvel Superheroes game, you'll know you're starting a new level when that SHIELD agent talks a little about the location featured in that level.

Also, it seems that the Marvel games truly are the only recent Lego games that don't have that character selection wheel, and I think I now understand why that is. It's simply because the way you bring it up (holding down the switch character button) is instead used to transform certain characters, like Hulk. Also, another detail I noticed is that characters are apparently unlocked by collecting tokens (much like Lego City Undercover and both of the Lego Harry Potter games), though this game seems to have addressed one of my biggest complaints about that feature by having the characters you play in story mode be automatically unlocked, while only the characters that you have to purchase must first be unlocked by collecting their tokens (not a big deal in story mode, but for those going for 100% completion with freeplay mode, I believe it makes things so much easier).

By the way, you forgot to turn on the subtitles, so you might want to remember to do that as soon as you start the next stream.

Glad you were able to at least eventually remember to turn on the subtitles. Anyway, interesting to see which parts of the movie got additional content to become playable levels. But you're right, it's rather obvious that much of the dialogue is taken directly from the movies. Visuals, on the other hand, definitely have Lego's quirky humor in some places, such as Nick Fury's ant and boot remark by literally having a boot kick Loki.

Four levels are now completed. Since the events of two separate movies are going to be covered over 15 levels, I'm interested in seeing where the first movie will end and the second movie begins.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer to at least wait until after finishing Avengers. After all, the second movie just came out, so some people might not want spoilers so soon.

Also, with today's news that there's a great deal on Indiana Jones 2 for Xbox, I would recommend you try getting that game too. I'm currently playing through that game and, I have to say, the way that game is structured in unlike any other Lego game I know of, even to this day (I almost wish there were a few other Lego games designed like it). At the very least, I think you might find it very interesting how that game is so different from all the other Lego games, so definitely consider getting that one as another option for Twitch Tuesday.

Anyway, on this week's stream, I'm honestly surprised how you often seem to forget certain character abilities (like Captain America can put out fires). I also found it interesting how the part where you must run from Hulk requires you to actually run rather than just move around on the run, perhaps because there are apparently stop points where you could find things like a minikit (which kind of reminds me of a certain level in the Lego game Harry Potter Years 5-7). Well, five levels done, ten more left to go.

I'd prefer to at least wait until after finishing Avengers. After all, the second movie just came out, so some people might not want spoilers so soon.

Also, with today's news that there's a great deal on Indiana Jones 2 for Xbox, I would recommend you try getting that game too. I'm currently playing through that game and, I have to say, the way that game is structured in unlike any other Lego game I know of, even to this day (I almost wish there were a few other Lego games designed like it). At the very least, I think you might find it very interesting how that game is so different from all the other Lego games, so definitely consider getting that one as another option for Twitch Tuesday.

Anyway, on this week's stream, I'm honestly surprised how you often seem to forget certain character abilities (like Captain America can put out fires). I also found it interesting how the part where you must run from Hulk requires you to actually run rather than just move around on the run, perhaps because there are apparently stop points where you could find things like a minikit (which kind of reminds me of a certain level in the Lego game Harry Potter Years 5-7). Well, five levels done, ten more left to go.

Oh don't worry, I pick up those free games regardless of if I plan on playing them. I had already grabbed Indy before I posted the news story. I'm unsure about playing both it and the original adventures though, since they both cover the first three movies, albeit differently.

With as many characters as there are, sometimes the abilities are confusing. Like which characters can blow up silver versus gold things. To make it worse, some can do both. I guess I just focus on absorbing other things in my head, lol.

Seven levels done out of fifteen, so it definitely makes sense that this would be the point that goes from the first movie to the second movie. And apparently, finishing the first movie seems to have unlocked four bonus levels or something like that, so that was an interesting surprise.

As for the two Indiana Jones games, I'd say from experience that both of them are worth playing. The first game is a rather typical type of Lego game you'd expect. The second game is structured in such a unique way that I'd recommend at least trying it out regardless of the game content. Also, the second game starts you off at the beginning of the fourth movie, but the start of the original trilogy becomes unlocked once you finish the first level. Either way, there's still plenty of other Lego games to see on Twitch Tuesday, so at least put the second Indiana Jones game on the poll list for later.

So apparently, the menu option of "return to space" takes you to a selection area of levels and hub regions, much like what I recall seeing in Lego Batman 3. Since it's obviously a little difficult to determine which order all those levels are in (at least, not without the help of a guide), I suppose it's probably best to not go there again until after you've finished the entire story (unless if you encounter another glitch, of course). In fact, that's probably where you have to go to access those bonus levels that you unlocked last week, so perhaps after you finish story mode on this game, you could change it's label on this poll to "bonus levels" like what you did for Batman 3.

Eight levels done, seven more to go. Hopefully, the remaining levels won't be quite as long as the latest one was.

Even though I've seen much of the second Avengers movie, there are still bits and pieces in various places that I never saw. For example, I had no idea that the part involving the Hulkbuster armor was in South Africa (even though I remember seeing the battle itself). The events that the next level will cover (the streets of South Korea, by the look of it) is a part I've seen, so I'll be interested to see how it will go in the Lego game version.

Nine levels done, six more to go. Though considering what part of the second movie we're currently at, I'm staring to wonder if that total of fifteen levels might include the bonus levels from after the first movie.

There was a weird technical issue with this week's stream where the audio and the video were way out of sync, with the audio around five to ten seconds behind the video. I don't think there was an issue with the game itself, since your commentary was aligned with the game's audio and you spoke as if the video was just fine, so something must've gone wrong with the streaming. I just checked the recording posted on YouTube and it looks like it has the same issue as well. Might want to find out what could have caused it, because the audio and video being that far out of sync made it a little difficult to fully understand what was happening.

Anyway, eleven levels done now, and considering how close we seem to be to the end of the events of the second movie, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was only one level left to go before this game's story mode is complete.

This might be a good time to mention what game I'd like to see after this one is finished. You mentioned getting LEGO The Incredibles when it came out recently, so that's the one I'll be voting for next. All the others left on this list are ones that I've already recently played through (including Indiana Jones 2, which I just finished last week).

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

I completely forgot to reply earlier this week, so I might as well do it now.

Well, unfortunately, the out-of-sync audio issue is still there (as I mentioned last week, the audio is around five to ten seconds behind the video). I don't know what could be causing it, but I believe it may be possible to correct it when you upload it to YouTube (though I could be mistaken as I have no knowledge of video editing techniques), so that might be a partial solution worth considering if you can't determine and solve the real issue.

Anyway, looks like story mode for Marvel Avengers is now complete, which now leaves the bonus levels. Come to think of it, I find this game to be structured in very much the same way as Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens (which would make sense, since they were released only a few months apart). What I mean by that is that the main story is no more than just a dozen levels, with some bonus levels to go along with it (though at least the bonus levels of Marvel Avengers don't require a certain amount of gold bricks to unlock, unlike Star Wars Force Awakens).

Seeing as the poll has not been reset, I'm assuming you're going to try the rest of the bonus levels before moving on to a different game. (My vote for the next game will still be the Incredibles, since it is now the only newer Lego game that I have not yet seen any content of.)

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately, that audio issue from the previous streams seems to have been resolved, so everything from a technical standpoint seemed just fine this week.

Anyway, I decided to double check the guide and, you're right, there actually is just one more of those bonus levels left to go (the one based on Iron Man 3). In fact, after counting it all up, including those three bonus levels really does leave a combined total of 15 levels in this game, which had been my original assumption due to the number of "True Avenger" rankings to achieve.

And of course, once the poll is reset after next week's stream, my vote for the next Lego game will be for the Incredibles.

• 2 weeks later...

The last of the bonus levels done, and even had time to complete one of the DLC levels. I can see that you've noted on the list that Marvel Avengers has DLC levels, like you did for Batman 3 (and don't forget, there's still that Infinity War DLC level for Marvel Superheroes 2).

As for the next game, like I've been saying before, I'm going with the Incredibles. I've already played through the only other games left to go on this list (Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones (both the first and the second)), so I'd like to be able to watch game content I have not yet seen, which obviously means going with the most recent release. I'll definitely be looking forward to this.

Lego the Incredibles is already looking like a very interesting game. Especially of note is how the content and graphics appear to be a mix of Lego City Undercover and the Ninjago Movie Videogame (both of which are games that I'm very much looking forward to eventually playing myself). In fact, I think I might even consider this another one of the Lego games I would very much like to play myself eventually.

Anyway, now that I've seen my first glimpse of this game, I decided to take a quick look at the guide (thanks to the link I had provided near the beginning of this topic) and it looks like there will be a total of 12 story levels; the first six will cover the second movie and the last six will cover the first movie (I know, that does seem backwards), with the entire story mode finished off with a bonus level (very similar to the one in the Ninjago Movie Videogame). And a rather interesting feature I found among the freeplay content is that out in the hub world, completing certain family builds (which are apparently like the super builds of Lego City Undercover) will allow you to unlock certain bonus characters from almost every other Pixar movie (probably not something we'll get to see if you're only focused on completing the story content, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you forgot to turn on the subtitles, so you might want to remember that next time.

Edited by Chronicler06

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you forgot to turn on the subtitles, so you might want to remember that next time.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll blame the rush I was in since the game was taking longer than anticipated to install.

I would definitely like to check out the other Pixar characters. Maybe one of these days I'll catch up on the story modes and we'll be able to go back to some of these titles and unlock some of the cool things.

I haven't had a chance to see the second Incredibles movie, so I'm not sure how accurate this game's story is to the movie. If (as you mentioned) that other superhero was not really part of the movie, then I'm guessing he was added to this game to allow two-player mode at all times (like every other Lego game does). If there are any other parts of the movie that are supposed to have just one character, then chances are this game will take creative liberties to make sure there will always be a second available character. I did find it rather amusing that you got to play as Jack-Jack to beat up a racoon.

Anyway, two more levels done, and based on how many levels in total there are, it looks like this means the events of the second movie are now halfway over.

Like I said before, I haven't yet seen the second Incredibles movie, so watching this game is giving me at least a rough idea of what happens in that movie. Of course, this means I have no idea how accurate the game's story events are to the movie (such as apparently certain characters being added in for the sake of having two available characters at all times), but I'm still enjoying it all the same. (I really liked the level that took place at the Parr family house.)

Two more levels done, and based on the number of total levels, it looks like we're almost about to finish the events of the second movie, and then it'll be on to the events of the first movie.

Up until around 2010, I watched almost every Pixar movie, so even though I haven't yet seen the second Incredibles movie, I've definitely seen the first one many times, so I was able to relatively easily identify where there were differences between that movie and this game. There's definitely a lot more dialogue that you don't see in the movie, though one thing from the movie that was not in the game is that Mr. Incredible had smashed through that window because he was saving a suicidal jumper (though to be fair, I completely understand why they didn't want that in a Lego game). And thank goodness those subtitles translated everything Bomb Voyage said, otherwise I would never have understood any of it since I don't speak French. :lol: 

So with this week's progress, the second movie is finished and the first movie has just started. Just five levels left to go until this game's story mode is completed.

So with this week's progress, the second movie is finished and the first movie has just started. Just five levels left to go until this game's story mode is completed.

This game is feeling like it's shorter than some of the others I've played recently. With five more levels we could be done in seven episodes, which makes it a good bit shorter than the latest Marvel games and Jurassic World, although Ninjago Movie was pretty short too.

Both levels in this week's stream were quite interesting. For the first one, I remember the scene where Frozone couldn't use his ice powers inside the burning building because he was dehydrated, so it was neat to see it being used as a game mechanic for this particular level (not to mention, Lego decided decided to add some additional humor to the original scene in question at the end of the level by having the water bottle needing to be replaced). For the second level, that part of the movie had Mr. Incredible working entirely alone, but since these Lego games must always have at least two active characters, they added in Frozone (though I did like how he mentioned that another super who could talk to birds had once said that seagulls were always saying "Mine, mine, mine," which is a reference to another Pixar movie, Finding Nemo.)

By the way, since you mentioned you may not be streaming sometime in early October, that could allow something rather interesting. The next new Lego game, DC Super Villains, will officially release on October 16, so if it takes two more weeks to finish the remaining three levels of Incredibles and you take one week off, then that means that if you decide to get DC super Villains on the day of release, then that could be the very next game to play on Twitch Tuesday, starting right on release day (and if that game is late to arrive that week, well you've still got that Infinity War DLC level on Marvel Superheroes 2 that you could play instead).

Remember not long ago when I mentioned on some streams of Marvel Avengers that somehow the audio was lagging about five seconds behind the video? Well, unfortunately, it happened again this week. I'm not sure what the problem could be, but at this point, it's probably worth taking a look at.

Anyway, for the game content seen this week, by far the biggest divergence the game makes from the first Incredibles movie is the presence of GazerBeam. In the movie, he's a skeleton that Mr. Incredible finds in the cave, and hides behind him to avoid being found. And after Mr. Incredible is captured, Syndrome's gushing and complaining is completely reworded from the movie, so I think it's obvious by now that, unlike many other Lego games, this game doesn't take any dialogue directly from the movies and instead had all of the dialogue recorded specifically for this game. And of course, among the various bits of Lego's quirky humor, I especially liked that joke about that "Easter" Island statue.

Just two levels left to go, along with the bonus level, and then this game will be finished. As for what to play next, well that really depends on timing I suppose. With DC Super Villains coming out on Oct 16 (three weeks from now), it's possible you could start playing it as soon as you get it on release day. If you end up with one week to spare ahead of acquiring that new game, then you could take the opportunity to play the Infinity War DLC of Marvel Superheroes 2. And if things turn out more open-ended after that instead, then my vote for the next Lego game to play would have to be for Pirates of the Caribbean. It all really depends on things that are obviously beyond my control, so we'll just have to wait and see how things will turn out.

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

Late start aside, this week's stream went just fine. Not much else for me to say, though I was a little surprised by which parts of the movie were made into playable content and which parts were made just cutscenes.

Just one more level (plus a quick bonus level) left to go to finish the Incredibles. And if you decide to get DC Super Villains when it comes out next week, then that'll be the next game I'll vote for.