Twitch Tuesday

Black Six

I wasn't expecting you guys to start nearly an hour early, so I missed the first few minutes (thanks goodness you provide YouTube videos of each stream), and I was quite surprised you were willing to go for almost three hours (possibly the longest Twitch Tuesday stream ever) and managed to complete four levels (not sure how much progress that actually is, as this is after all a game that literally just came out). Aside from the technical issue you already mentioned, things seemed to go just fine. I have to say, it was a very nice surprise to see you and another BZPower member playing one of these Lego games in two-player mode, but due to how confused I seemed to get at times, perhaps it's for the best that this is done only occasionally.

As for the game itself, the concepts sure look very interesting. I wasn't sure how requiring a customized character at the very start would play out for the rest of the game, but I must say I find it quite interesting. It seems that no matter what character you decide to create, there will always be two aspects that will remain consistent; the character is included in the story mode (including being seen in the cutscenes) as someone who never speaks (kind of like in the older Lego games), and the character has the ability to absorb new powers which allows you to unlock new abilities as you progress through the story. Although I've never had any interest in creating custom characters, I would be interested in eventually playing this game myself at some point (I've even already got some ideas on what kind of custom character I would prefer to create).

Anyways, yes, my preference for next week is to finish that last level of Incredibles. After that, my vote for the next game will be for DC Super Villains, but I honestly don't mind whether you start from the beginning or continue solo from where you left off, I'll leave that entirely up to you. (By the way, was it you or Ben who created the custom character we saw? I'm not sure if you would rather start from the beginning just so you could make a different custom character.)

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

The Incredibles is done! The poll has been reset! Make of this as you will, but the addition of DC Super Villains means the poll is at the maximum number of choices. So either I'll have to start removing or condensing options soon or go back and just start finishing games so they can be removed from the list.

I wonder which title is the easiest to finish...

It was interesting to see how the final level of Incredibles differed from the movie (particularly funny was how Syndrome got messed up by Jack Jack). Anyway, like I said previously, my vote for the next game to play is DC Super Villains (and I'll leave it entirely up to you on whether to resume the previous game on your own or start a new one).

I'm honestly a little surprised that these polls actually have a maximum number of choices. Well, if you want to go for 100% completion on some of them, I can offer a few suggestions. First of all, do you still have those guides I PMed you a while ago about how to complete the Lego Movie Videogame? If you do, then that's one game you could complete somewhat easily. Another of the Lego games I've played so far that I found relatively quick and easy to complete is Pirates of the Caribbean, but unfortunately that's among the few remaining games you haven't even started yet. My final suggestion would be the first Lego Batman game, which although I have not yet completed (though I will in fact start playing it tomorrow), I've noticed on the guide that literally the only freeplay content is just from going through all thirty levels again, with almost nothing to obtain in the hub areas, so that could also be relatively quick and easy to finish.

After five levels of DC Super Villains, the story that's playing out is looking very interesting. With the heroes replaced by counterparts from an alternate dimension who are secretly up to no good, it's now up to the villains to stop them (if only so they can have the chance to take over the world instead of the fake heroes). I'm definitely looking forward to see how this story progresses.

Anyway, if you want to try changing the first custom character you created at the start of the game, you'll find him at the very beginning of the character selection screen on the top left corner. I guess he's not down at the bottom with the other custom characters because he's the one who appears in the cutscenes and has the power to gain new abilities throughout the story.

By the way, a little follow-up to my previous comment regarding the poll being maxed out. If you have to simply eliminate some options (at least until after some other games have been completed) even though they're not yet complete, perhaps you could consider removing some of the games that you're unlikely to ever complete at all. I personally think that Star Wars Complete Saga would easily be one such game, because in addition to freeplay in all 36 levels, all those levels also have a third mode called challenge (where you need to find and collect ten blue canisters in under 20 minutes), then there's also the bonus levels that require collecting a million studs in under five minutes (I recall you made one attempt and failed), but arguably the worst part is the "super story" mode, where for each of the six movies, you must complete all six story levels in under an hour while also collecting over 100,000 studs (this last one in particular I found so ridiculously challenging I had to follow a YouTube video minute by minute and still completed them with only a small margin). If I found all of this hard to complete, I can only imagine how someone like you would probably not even bother, so if you ever need to purge some titles from this poll, I think Star Wars Complete Saga should be one of the first ones to go.

• 2 weeks later...

While it's true that you can switch to any unlocked character while in the hub areas, I would strongly advise against it while you're between story levels, because with such a huge number of characters to choose from, it can be quite difficult to remember exactly which characters you need to actually advance to the next level, rather than just end up being distracted by some freeplay content nearby.

One more level done, so that's six so far in story mode. I recently took a quick look at the (currently still incomplete) guide and it looks like there will be a total of twenty levels, though the way things have been organized there makes me think that the last five would probably be bonus levels, so my assumption is that there will be 15 levels to complete for story mode to be finished for this game.

While it's true that you can switch to any unlocked character while in the hub areas, I would strongly advise against it while you're between story levels, because with such a huge number of characters to choose from, it can be quite difficult to remember exactly which characters you need to actually advance to the next level, rather than just end up being distracted by some freeplay content nearby.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of who I pick in the hub area, it resets who shows up in the campaign, at least for the first playthrough. Free-Play mode is another story, but I'm not there yet.

Yes, once you start a level in story mode, you can only use the characters automatically provided. But when you're in the hub area on your way to the next level, you might not know which obstacles could be in the way, so that's why I advised not swapping out characters until after story mode is completed.

Well, certain moments aside, good progress this week with two more levels done (and probably just passed the halfway point of the story mode).

By the way, I've recently noticed that some of the villains shown in this game had previously appeared way back in the first Lego Batman game (which I've been playing recently). Since that game was one of the old ones with no dialogue, DC Super Villains is actually the first time we get to hear them speak. (The ones I can immediately think of are Clayface, Poison Ivy, and the Penguin. (I don't count Riddler, Two-Face, Bane, or Harley Quinn because their most recent appearance was in Lego Dimensions.))

The story portrayed in this game sure just took an interesting twist, with Lex Luthor attempting to betray practically everyone in an effort to have Earth all to himself. Just five (I think) levels left to go, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what will happen next.

Just so you're aware, that whole bell-ringing area didn't just give you a bunch of studs, but also unlocked a red brick ability, and I guess you were too busy listing voice actors to even notice what ability it was you had unlocked for purchase when it was noted at the end of the level. Believe me, it's quite rare in any Lego game to be able to unlock a red brick ability in a level in story mode, so I feel that was a huge missed opportunity for you to say anything about it.

Anyway, this story just keeps getting even more interesting. The heroes are back, and just like in Lego Batman 3, the heroes and villains have to work together to stop an even greater threat, only this time they apparently have to do it under the perception of being villains. The next few levels should be very interesting (and if I've counted everything right, there should now be only three levels left to go before the story is completed).

Edited by Chronicler06

It's amazing how much the custom character is involved in the story of this game. Looks like I may have been right that the main story consists of 15 levels (which means there's now only one left to go), with five bonus levels. For next week, it's possible you'll have enough time after completing the final level to try either one of the bonus levels or that DLC level you mentioned. (As for that red brick ability you unlocked... perhaps it's best to leave it off, as I found it to be significantly louder than everything else, which made it get somewhat annoying after a while.)

I don't know if you intend to try the bonus levels or just move on to a different game after completing the story, but just in case, I'd like to mention that the next game I would like to see on Twitch Tuesday is Pirates of the Caribbean, not just because it's among my favorites, but also because I'm convinced that it's relatively one of the easiest Lego games to reach 100% completion, so might as well at least complete the story mode so that, if you get to a point where you've played every game on the list, you'll be coming back to it rather than just sticking with it for the entire duration of it.

(By the way, I've been playing Lego Batman 2 recently, and I actually really like it so far. If you ever get a chance, I would highly recommend that you try getting that game.)

(By the way, I've been playing Lego Batman 2 recently, and I actually really like it so far. If you ever get a chance, I would highly recommend that you try getting that game.)

The reason LEGO Batman 2 is not on the list is because it was released for the Xbox 360 and never made backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Because I stream through the One, I have no way of playing it for everyone. That is something I would like to fix at some point, to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned on the stream tonight, I'll be taking a break for at least next week in light of the holidays. Beyond that things are going to change a bit. I have a few ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for a while on how to improve things, but it'll take a little time for me to test them out. So I plan to still do that, focusing on Tuesday nights, but they won't be 'official' streams. Some Tuesdays there might not be a stream as I rewire and test new connections. Other times I may pop on and do a random level in free-play to see how things work. It'll be some fun testing to hopefully end up with a better stream.

If you have any thoughts or ideas on what we can improve - please share them here!

The reason LEGO Batman 2 is not on the list is because it was released for the Xbox 360 and never made backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Because I stream through the One, I have no way of playing it for everyone. That is something I would like to fix at some point, to be sure.

I'm guessing you also don't have Lego Lord of the Rings for the same reason. The older Lego games i don't see on the list are Indiana Jones 2 (you said you got when it was once available for free) both of the Harry Potter games (they only recently became available for backwards compatibility, if I remember correctly) and of course Batman 2 and Lord of the Rings. I'm holding onto hope that some day, you'll eventually get a chance to try them all.

As I mentioned on the stream tonight, I'll be taking a break for at least next week in light of the holidays. Beyond that things are going to change a bit. I have a few ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for a while on how to improve things, but it'll take a little time for me to test them out. So I plan to still do that, focusing on Tuesday nights, but they won't be 'official' streams. Some Tuesdays there might not be a stream as I rewire and test new connections. Other times I may pop on and do a random level in free-play to see how things work. It'll be some fun testing to hopefully end up with a better stream.

If you have any thoughts or ideas on what we can improve - please share them here!

I'm honestly not sure what my thoughts are on your ideas or what kind of suggestions I could make (though I can't really deny the fact that I'm pretty much the only one who ever bothers to comment here). Pretty much the only change I can think of worth doing is actually one on my part, as I've recently considered making an account on Twitch, if only so I could use the chat to point out to you when you're missing something obvious rather than just uselessly shouting at my computer screen (I honestly can't remember the last time when I have not done that even once during one of your streams :guilty: ). If you want any further ideas from other people, I guess you'll just have to ask elsewhere.

Anyway, as for this week's stream, you might recall my uncertainty on whether there were 15 or 20 levels in this game. I guess now we know for sure that there are 15 levels in the main story, and the five additional levels are actually about what the heroes were doing in the early part of the story after they got taken away. In other words, you've still got four more levels left to go (plus that Aquaman DLC you mentioned getting). Also, that final choice on whether to be a hero or villain really seems to only determine which final cutscene you get to see upon finishing story mode (which I suppose makes sense, since it's your custom character that's been portrayed throughout the story, so your character's choice should be yours).

• 3 weeks later...

So, uh... when's the net time you'll be streaming? I had kind of assumed you would be doing so this week. Believe me, I'm still interested in watching these Lego games (even though I'm now familiar with almost all of them).

So, uh... when's the net time you'll be streaming? I had kind of assumed you would be doing so this week. Believe me, I'm still interested in watching these Lego games (even though I'm now familiar with almost all of them).

I did do a stream this week. It was very short since most of my time was spent dealing with technology that didn't want to cooperate. We didn't really do much but you can watch it here.

I guess I was expecting it at the usual 7:30, so when I saw nothing after more than ten minutes, I had figured there wouldn't be any stream at all. I guess I'll watch that video later. But still, will next week be at the usual schedule?

I guess I was expecting it at the usual 7:30, so when I saw nothing after more than ten minutes, I had figured there wouldn't be any stream at all. I guess I'll watch that video later. But still, will next week be at the usual schedule?

Probably not. I'm leaving for BrickFair Alabama very early next Wednesday, so last minute packing and sleep are going to take priority. I may do a very quick test but no guarantees.

Okay, I just watched the video (I noticed at the beginning the Xbox system showed a time of a few minutes passed 8:30, so at least now I know for sure that I would not have been able to watch it when it was live). You mentioned testing something with the audio, so I can tell you that while I could hear you fine through headphones (which I use on my desktop, which is where I normally watch these streams), I had a little more difficulty understanding you through speakers (like on my laptop), so whatever you decide to do next, at least I was able to give you an honest assessment of your test.

As for your ten minute run through Lego Star Wars Complete Saga, I'd like to mention a few observations I made that you might want to keep in mind if you play this game again. Playing levels in freeplay mode on the older Lego games (namely, the ones without any character dialogue), your options of characters to choose from are limited to whatever the game automatically gives you (but at least the given range of options covers as many character abilities as possible, so if you've unlocked anyone who can do a certain task, you'll always have someone who can do those tasks). While you were right that Jar Jar can super high jump, I've learned from personal experience with this game that he has that ability only in the prequel trilogy levels, but not in the original trilogy levels, for some weird reason.

Whether it'll be next week or the week after, I'll always look forward to more.

EDIT: One observation I forgot to mention; When it comes to switching to the other active characters in Lego Star Wars Complete Saga, you practically have to be standing right in front of them face-to-face (this is the only Lego game that has this restriction, one of many reasons why I suggested not coming back to this game anytime soon).

Edited by Chronicler06

Like I said last month, one way to improve Twitch Tuesdays was for me to finally create a Twitch account so I could provide you with immediate advice and feedback. No more worthless shouting at my computer screen.  :lol:  From now on, if you ever get stuck on something rather obvious, I will definitely tell you right away. :P

I had created my Twitch account over a week ago, but I wanted to surprise you during a stream, so I'm glad I got that opportunity last night. Good thing too, because I was able to give you immediate advice, like how I couldn't hear the game's audio very well, and you were able to correct it to some extent in the middle of the stream. Too bad the chat content can't be saved, as far as I know.

Well, however long it'll take for you to get things set up, I'll be looking forward to when you get back to actually playing these game, if only to see if my presence in the chat will make any significant difference.

Edited by Chronicler06

I guess my decision to finally make a Twitch account couldn't have come a moment too soon, because it seems like you really needed live input on these tests, which I've been willing to provide. Although one drawback I've recently realized is that, due to my tendency to look at the keyboard while I'm typing, I could potentially miss something while I'm in the middle of typing a message, so keep that possibility in mind from now on.

As for the gameplay, while I would've been happy to offer guidance on where and how to collect all the minikits and other things in each level, I'm afraid I have not yet played Marvel Superheroes (though I do plan on getting around to it sometime this year), so I currently don't know any more about the game than you do. Of course, I have already completed all the older Lego games to 100% completion, so if you're interested, I could help you on one of those games (the one I have in mind in particular is Lego Star Wars III the Clone Wars, now that I know how to access all the additional levels there are after completing the story levels).

While there was obviously tons of lag that seemed like the video kept frequently skipping a few seconds, at least the audio seemed to stay in sync with the video for the most part (though that meant the audio also cut out with the video from all the lag). At the very least, it's nice to see that you figured out a way to display the chat content onto the video so that, thanks to your YouTube uploads, that content can actually be recorded. (Now if only there was a way to change my username's color to anything but pink...)

As I mentioned in the chat, the Lego game I've been playing these days is Lord of the Rings, and it seems in some moments I've learned that the Hobbit is actually quite a bit different in some aspects. Probably a good thing for me, as that happens to be the next Lego game I plan on playing, probably as soon as next week. Though like I said last week, having not yet played that game myself, I couldn't tell you where to find every bonus item. Perhaps you might consider the Lego Movie Videogame for your next test? (Would be fitting, seeing as the Lego Movie 2 is coming out this weekend, and the tie-in video game is due to come out later this month.)

Edited by Chronicler06

Here's this week's test for reference.

In case someone reading this has any suggestions, I've gone from streaming to Twitch directly via the Xbox One to using an El Gato GameCapture card, running to Lightstream, and using Stream Labs for some of their cool overlay tools. I found out about Stream Labs because of Lightstream, and I think that's the main source of the lag. I would like to try to use Stream Labs directly with the El Gato software, but I haven't looked into whether or not this is possible yet.

There's about a 50/50 chance that I'll either end up streaming tonight or go see The LEGO Movie 2 a second time, so don't count on me showing up. If I do stream, I'm going to do something different and try to stream on YouTube instead of Twitch. No big announcements or anything, just do it and see how it goes. We've built up a larger audience there than we ever have on Twitch, so I'm curious to see how they react to us playing videogames.

In other news, I found out how to use StreamLabs with my current streaming software instead of having to use Lightstream as a go-between, but it requires me to update to the latest version of their software. The reason I'm not using that is because it's not compatible with the OS I'm currently running, so I would have to upgrade that too. And since Toy Fair is right around the corner I'm not about to upgrade and then send my laptop out of commission preventing me from editing photos and the like.

So once Toy Fair and my trip after that are wrapped up, I will go down that path and bring us closer to resuming streaming games we haven't played before on a regular basis.

I hope what you said in the first paragraph doesn't mean you're considering abandoning Twitch, as I'd hate to think that I finally worked up the courage to make an account there only for it to be rendered pointless after only a few months. I don't have a YouTube account, so I'd be a little frustrated if I have to go through all of this effort all over again.

By the way, I just discovered some potentially bad news (possibly worth mentioning on the front page). Apparently, back at the beginning of January this year, the Lego games of Lord of the Rings and Hobbit were removed from the digital stores of Steam, Xbox, and PlayStation. People who had already purchased these games are still able to install and play them just fine (as I can confirm from personal experience), but for those who have not purchased either of these games (as I'm assuming is the case for you with Lego Lord of the Rings), probably the only option now is to find an old physical copy of them from someone else. The best guess people have for why this happened is that maybe the licensing for the Middle-Earth franchise expired at the end of 2018. Here's an article I was able to find about this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-03-lego-lord-of-the-rings-games-removed-from-steam-xbox-and-ps4-stores

Edited by Chronicler06

No stream this week either? I really am starting to wonder just how many more of these "tests" you intend to do before finally going back to playing these games to make progress on them.

A little reminder, the Lego Movie 2 Videogame will be out next week, which I'm really looking forward to (even though I probably won't get around to actually playing it myself until after I've completed literally all the other Lego games). I already saw the movie this past weekend (loved it just as much as the first one), so now I'm curious to see how it will be adapted into a video game.

I was on a boat this Tuesday, so it was a little hard to stream. :P

In answer to your question, I think we'll go back to our normal streaming once I get my copy of The LEGO Movie 2 game, which I have preordered. Once that game is done, we may do some more testing as hopefully by then I'll have had time to update the required software to get some new features working.

I have to say, I am now definitely excited for the Lego Movie 2 Videogame. Already, I can see that this game is so unlike any other previous Lego game (I dare say there hasn't been one so significantly different from earlier games since Lego Batman 2 back in 2012, which was the first to have things like character dialogue and a massive hub world to explore).

In previous Lego games, the option of two-player mode had to be always available, which meant single-player mode would always leave you with at least one other playable character simply following you around, but in this game it seems that's no longer the case (though I've yet to see if there are even any certain abilities unique to certain characters). Much like Lego City Undercover, breaking objects gives you both studs (for purchasing items) and bricks (for building things), but while that earlier game had you just collect any random bricks, this time you have to collect bricks of certain colors to be used on certain builds. But the one thing that especially sets this game apart from any previous Lego game is the complete absence of traditional levels, and apparently there is no longer any need to collect a certain amount of studs in certain places. Much like the Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame, it seems all the story content will occur in the various areas to explore, with new sections becoming available as you progress through the story.

In fact, I'm so excited to see more of this game that I'm going to search YouTube for gamers who have already progressed further. (I'll still watch the Twitch Tuesday streams, so this just means I'll already know about the remaining content by the time I watch them. At least now that I have a Twitch account, I can actually tell you when you're missing something obvious, even if I occasionally have to repeat myself a few times. :lol: (That reminds me, what happened to that feature that showed my chat comments on the video screen?))

Just realized I never replied to this - my bad!

I have to say, I am now definitely excited for the Lego Movie 2 Videogame. Already, I can see that this game is so unlike any other previous Lego game.

Yeah, I'm definitely interested to see how this continues to differ from the other games in the series. So far it's been pretty refreshing.

(That reminds me, what happened to that feature that showed my chat comments on the video screen?))

That feature was enabled when we were testing the Streamlabs tool, which ended up causing lag and other issues. There is a way for me to enable it with the normal streaming software I use, but I have to upgrade my computer's OS so I can update to the latest version of the software. Once I do that I'll look into re-enabling some of the different features again.

I was really tempted to tell you about the presence of Classic Space and Blacktron in this game, but I figured you would better appreciate them as a surprise, hence my promise to not tell you any spoilers. Even so, I did tell you to use those scanner binoculars to reveal the invisible bridge, as the other video series I've watched had the guy struggle for quite a while to figure that one out, so I figured it would be better to not let the same thing happen to you. Though in hindsight, I probably should've known that you simply had the wrong super-build selected, rather than tell you to collect all those area-specific bricks for something you didn't need after all.

As for the game itself, I think some of the new aspects have become quite clear by now. First of all, with no traditional levels at all, there's no stud count goal to reach, which might also be due to each area having a shop to spend those studs, so perhaps there was simply no point in a stud count goal anymore. For the characters, unlike all previous Lego games, there doesn't seem to be any special abilities specific to any character, and in fact you could literally play as any character you want at any time, with the only exceptions being that some quest givers will talk only if you've switched to one particular character. Instead, all the different abilities seem to be provided by the various items you can equip your character with (which I don't think has been seen since Lego Lord of the Rings or Lego Hobbit, which also happens to be a feature of the older Lego games that I really liked). Finally, there seems to be virtually no distinction at all between a "story mode" or a "free play mode", but rather just a series of story quests to follow (the only game I can think of that ever came close to this was Lego Dimensions, which allowed you to bring in any character at any time, even if you were playing a level for the first time).

I haven't quite seen the end of this game yet, but what I've seen ahead so far looks interesting, so I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing more of your progress through this game.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw the other video series of this game, I had assumed that there were no story elements at all in the Old West world, and was going to suggest that you just go straight to the portal, but it looks like collecting that camera was the one thing you had to do there before moving on. Either way, unlocking the "Rexplorer System" really shows just how little distinction there is between the story events and freeplay. Just remember to return to the middle "Systar System" to continued the story quests. (And I assume the bottom of the three systems are going to be for the upcoming DLC.)

Another thing I had noticed from the other video series is that the items relics give you not only new items you can carry around, but also occasionally unlocks different sticker designs that the sticker gun can fire (purely aesthetic, but worth taking a look, as I'm assuming that's why the star indicator was still showing).

Three story worlds completed, four more to go, and as always, I look forward to seeing how you'll do through the rest of the story quests (and occasionally provide help, if necessary  ^_^ ).

Another thing I had noticed from the other video series is that the items relics give you not only new items you can carry around, but also occasionally unlocks different sticker designs that the sticker gun can fire (purely aesthetic, but worth taking a look, as I'm assuming that's why the star indicator was still showing).

Ah, the sticker gun! How nefarious!

When I had watched that other video series of this game, that guy didn't seem to have much trouble with the camera angles, so I wonder if settings or controller sensitivity have anything to do with it.

Anyway, Unikitty is now unlocked, along with the paint wand for activating silver objects. I think I noticed Unikitty had some kind of holding piece on her side (presumably to allow her to use the items like any other character), so I wonder what playing as her actually looks like (I guess there's always next week to find out).

By the way, did you happen to preorder this game? I remember there was something about preordered copies would include free bonus content featuring characters from the first Lego Movie, and this content is apparently going to be the first bit of DLC that will soon be available for this game (which means those of us who buy this game later will still have a chance at that extra content). I'm asking this because I noticed some of the characters you had unlocked and even played as included characters that seem like they'd be part of this bonus pack (such as Vitruvius).

By the way, did you happen to preorder this game? I remember there was something about preordered copies would include free bonus content featuring characters from the first Lego Movie, and this content is apparently going to be the first bit of DLC that will soon be available for this game (which means those of us who buy this game later will still have a chance at that extra content). I'm asking this because I noticed some of the characters you had unlocked and even played as included characters that seem like they'd be part of this bonus pack (such as Vitruvius).

I did preorder it, and now I've already forgotten if I got a special code to unlock characters from The LEGO Movie. I'll have to check my receipt if there was a code.