Bionicle.com Updated for 2016

This morning, the LEGO Bionicle website has been treated to a substantial update. The layout has received a visual overhaul, the "Okoto" section has been replaced with an "Explore" section introducing the 2016 story, the "Characters" page has been updated with bios of Umarak and the Elemental Creatures, and a gallery has been added for LEGO.com users to post their original Bionicle creations. Follow the links above to check out the updates!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

The bios for the creatures are incredible, and remind me not unfavorably of the principles and skills of the six villages in MNOLG2. Umarak's bio is also interesting, though it does raise the question of how he has been hunting the creatures for so long but has only emerged as a threat now. Perhaps the Mask of Control is what tilts the balance in his favor...

• Upvote 7

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Did the Toa lose some personality quirks in the new bios? I thought it said somewhere that Gali liked to make up puns, or that Pohatu had a slight fear of the dark?

Yeah, they've been stripped down a bit. Kind of like the transition between the teaser and the full 2015 site.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Wooo, exciting! I'll have to look at this later when I have time.

The Gallery section is a great idea, but it doesn't look like they'll be uploading the new art for Okoto. :(

EDIT: Actually they'll probably add art to the Gallery. :D

Edited by Nescent

IetTsFQ.png

Oh those creature Bios! It feels like G2 is about to dive into new levels of Mythology. Okoto just now seems less like a pale imitation of Mata Nui; but now feels like its own place of mystery.

AGREED. I'm glad we're going to (hopefully) get a little more in-depth with the lore and come to understand the origins of Okoto, the Mask Makers, and the Toa :D

• Upvote 2

I see that the Creatures grant greater Elemental Powers and all around stat boosts, but it looks like some of them might grant other abilities as well?  Ketar’s bio mentions camouflage, Uxar’s mentions regeneration, and Akida’s talks about lost knowledge of the past and foreseeing the future.  I hope these powers get passed on to the Toa they unite with, it’d be kind of boring if these abilities only existed for maybe three months worth of the storyline.

And it’s nice to see that Umarak is legendary as well, and not just some guy who showed up under Makuta’s control.  Variety!

Edited by Pahrak #0579
  • Upvote 1

So much exposition! This is incredible! I'm really feeling the Bionicle feel now. It kinda makes sense as to why 2015 wouldn't have much story- the islanders were desperate, and when the Toa arrived they didn't need to know all of the story to save the day, they just went and did it. Now as they are working towards another goal, they are beginning to learn more about the island and its history. Its very nice to have all the little bits fleshed out in such detail, and I'm certainly very interested and engaged in the upcoming story. Also, I think that now I get camouflage or something when I unite with my creature.

• Upvote 3

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

This image keeps bugging me because it's pretty obviously the MM vs SG packaging art with the head sliced off crudely (you can still seem a sizable chunk of it) and a front view of the Mask of Creation slapped on.

I don't ask for much of LEGO's web developers, but I do wish they had done something less glaringly sloppy.

Edited by Dina Saruyama
  • Upvote 2

At least the site isn't as glitchy as it was last year. :P

In all seriousness, I really like this update to the site. The bios on the Creatures really help flesh them out a bit, and possibly tease at powers that the Toa could get when they combine with them. Umarak's bio is great too. I never noticed this before, but you can actually see the Toa in the background of his artwork. I thought that was a neat detail to add to it.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This image keeps bugging me because it's pretty obviously the MM vs SG packaging art with the head sliced off crudely (you can still seem a sizable chunk of it) and a front view of the Mask of Creation slapped on.

I don't ask for much of LEGO's web developers, but I do wish they had done something less glaringly sloppy.

Argh, I didn't notice the original mask still being partially visible until you mentioned it, and now I can't unsee it!  :P

But anyway, this is a nice update to the website. Definitely an improvement from last year in terms of the sizing of navigation elements. (The characters section is a lot easier to quickly browse through.)

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

A nice update all around.  I really like the expanded art of Umarak, with the united Toa in the labyrinth in the background, and the creature bios are interesting, too.  It's a bit odd to me that the Build section is gone, though.  The instructions still don't seem to be uploaded yet for every set in the customer support section (Umarak's are missing), but I don't think that's the reason why the Build section is gone.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

It's a bit odd to me that the Build section is gone, though.  The instructions still don't seem to be uploaded yet for every set in the customer support section (Umarak's are missing), but I don't think that's the reason why the Build section is gone.

Hopefully the Build section is added again, but right now there are links to the instructions on the Product page.

There are a few things that I hope are added to the site, all I really care about right now is an updated Okoto section. Gotta get that new art.  :notify:

IetTsFQ.png

huh, the bios from last year's characters are still up despite the site overhaul,

could it be LEGO actually decided to keep all story ifno where it can be easily seen? O:

EDIT: HOLY SMOKES!

Akida- provides a boost in Wisdom, has a silver mask/face. 

Melum- Provieds a boost in Valor, has a gold face/mask/whatever.

you know what this (probably coincidentally) means?

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde
  • Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The updated website looks WONDERFUL!  B-)

I wish the Toa's Bios give a bit of "status update" info on the our heroes' current state, but that is a minor concern given the Elemental Creatures' interesting Bios. The Creatures' Bios look promising in terms of lore and mythology... I've become really curious now!  :D And it seems like the Creatures are the G2-equivalent of G1 Toa Mata's Power-up (into Toa Nuva), which probably explains the Nuva Symbols on the Uniters' Masks.

P.S. The abilities granted by the Creatures overlap. Ikir (Fire) and Melum (Ice) both provide a courage boost, Ketar (Stone) and Terak (Earth) both boost durability/stamina/resilience/endurance (which makes sense since "Ketar" and "Terak" are anagrams of each other  ;) ). Is it just me, or I hope that a clearer distinction is made here so that each Creature provides unique abilities?

P.S.S. I also wonder if Uxar (Jungle) actually enables regeneration?

Edited by Tahtorak ate my house!

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

Interesting how ice is being referred to as the "primordial element" or "White Element" and how it's considered the most pure and noble. That seems quite unlikely anything that has been done in G1. Intrigued to see where this will take us but it looks like Kopaka may have a bigger role this year.

• Upvote 2

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

KETAR, CREATURE OF STONE

Ketar draws power from the Element of Stone. It is therefore naturally associated with toughness and camouflage. The strange creature moves through desert dunes with the ease of a fish moving through water. The enemy will not notice it before it is too late. When united with a Toa, Ketar grants rocky resilience as well as the speed of a striking scorpion.

Kakama confirmed.

TERAK, CREATURE OF EARTH

Terak embodies the very substance that Okoto was made from. It represents, in a sense, the island’s beating heart and therefore it is the most resistant of all the Elemental Creatures. When united with a Toa, it provides unparalleled stamina, untiring energy and the drive to push on no matter the odds.

MNOG 2 Reference.

------------------------------------------------------

Also, Umerak has this cool-looking underground room, and something about him threatening Okoto's foundation. Looks like we are going into the secret underground again, folks. 

It's a bit odd to me that the Build section is gone, though.  The instructions still don't seem to be uploaded yet for every set in the customer support section (Umarak's are missing), but I don't think that's the reason why the Build section is gone.

Hopefully the Build section is added again, but right now there are links to the instructions on the Product page.

There are a few things that I hope are added to the site, all I really care about right now is an updated Okoto section. Gotta get that new art.  :notify:

Yeah, I haven't downloaded the combiner instructions for Skorpio + Skull Grinder combiner yet, so I was hoping to snatch those. 

Edited by fishers64

Interesting how ice is being referred to as the "primordial element" or "White Element" and how it's considered the most pure and noble. That seems quite unlikely anything that has been done in G1. Intrigued to see where this will take us but it looks like Kopaka may have a bigger role this year.

Fire might be the famous poster boy, but Ice is the introvert working like crazy behind the scenes. I like that dynamic.

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Fire might be the famous poster boy, but Ice is the introvert working like crazy behind the scenes. I like that dynamic.

Call me cynical, but why do I suspect that this means that the web animations will solely follow Kopaka and skip past the other Toa finding their Elemental Creatures?

• Upvote 2

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

Call me cynical, but why do I suspect that this means that the web animations will solely follow Kopaka and skip past the other Toa finding their Elemental Creatures?

Because that's what happened last time with Tahu?

No worries, they are doing a Netflix show now, so they have more runtime to avoid that mistake this wave.

Edited by fishers64

Hmm... Or, since we have the Netflix show coming since there will be no more web aminations (are there not?), I would get a feeling that Kopaka would take the spotlight this wave, rather than Tahu or the whole team (unless the team would be get it, too). This could possibly be the reason why Kopaka and Melum come in one set this wave.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

The Toa Kaita would make a lot of sense in a year themed around unity...

• Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

*cue Toa Kaita building instructions for the winter wave, as the Toa gear up to go fight Makuta himself*

Well, when it comes to unity, let's hope that G2's Toa Kaita could happen. I feel like what you said is like a prophecy that we hope would happen.

Anyway, what I find interesting that Tahu is said to be the leader of the Toa. Finally this happened. I always wondered why would lead the Toa. I like the fact that "Umarak" means "Shadow Hunter" because the "Um" means "Shadow". Nice. How the Creatures are described is interesting because they remind of MNOG2's principles. This is also like the Toa-Av-Matoran thing in 2008 again. An, I love so much nostalgia.:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I'm loving the bios for the Creatures. They seem interesting and mystic, and I get a big MNOGII vibe with the principles and all. Umarak seems very interesting and menacing and glad he is his own character instead of a typical skull lackey.

Visuals are great. Love the "Unity" story segment with some great high quality renders of Tahu and Ikir and the Mask of Control banner. Other than that, though? The website overall fails to impress. The div boxes are very basic and there are still some very amateur mistakes that throw the design off, such as the lack of transparency for the product logos (why they chose white as a background, if it was intentional, is beyond me, it is very ugly). It's like an intern designed it or something.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Yeah, I haven't downloaded the combiner instructions for Skorpio + Skull Grinder combiner yet, so I was hoping to snatch those. 

Someone found the combiner instructions:

Basher+Slicer+Warrior instructions

Scorpio/Grinder instructions

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png