REVAMP: Kulta, the Skull Grinder + BONUS

KULTA, THE SKULL GRINDER

24417847886_c4358e89b8_c.jpg

Skull Grinder is the dark creator and lord of the Skull Army. Commanding the minions’ every move, Skull Grinder wields unimaginable power. His heavy, jagged blades will smash anyone who is foolish enough to stand in his way. It is likely that even the heroic Toa will need some kind of help to stand a chance against the grim and vicious Skull Grinder.

This is a more titan-sized revamp of last year's main Bionicle villain, Kulta. He uses my TW2 gearbox, alongside a standard 2015 gearbox. The stud shooter in his weapon is fired by spinning the largest bladed head, which can also be separated from the smaller end to form the two weapons he had in his official set appearance.

24335865812_a7d282f1fb_c.jpg

Pose, full weapon

24417847886_c4358e89b8_c.jpg

Pose, weapon seperated

24148507560_5f4deaf27f_c.jpg

Front

24417881116_69f831f9d5_c.jpg

Back

24335858722_31d299ed7c_c.jpg

Pose, looming

23815935054_b32cd5e9dd_c.jpg

Weapons

24076360149_0786500eea_c.jpg

Pose, admiring his bounty

24444114525_7e25abaaf9_c.jpg

Pose, looming in the Mask of Creation

24444070845_ddb12df754_c.jpg

Torso build, front

24417871766_31fb96f986_c.jpg

Torso build, back

23817367633_6222ed25b1_c.jpg

Leg build

BONUS

Bonus

FIRE GIRL

24300699961_a1102d2eae_c.jpg

She wants to be her village's guard when she grows up.

24087586600_8a7347bd12_c.jpg

Front

24300703551_1e319c3d32_c.jpg

Back

Edit: FYI there is now a "more" tag to hide things separate from the spoiler tag, so I've converted your spoiler to that!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 8

This is amazing! All of the gears, the combination of old and new- it all flows together so perfectly! I can also see how you built him from the pictures alone, and he's got a surprisingly simple basic build. I've kept all of my 2015 sets nearly totally unaltered, with the exception of my 3 Protectors of Stone, but I will probably find this guy adorning my shelf soon. Is that OK with you?

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Oh, I quite like this.  I was pretty disappointed in the Skull Grinder set, so it's great to see such a faithful revamp do so much to improve it.

It took me a minute to understand those shoulders.  That's an astonishingly elegant solution to a very gappy, difficult to use armor piece!  It maintains the ragged look while filling in the huge hollow, making Kulta look menacing and powerful rather than puny in his own armor.

The legs are a smart way of adapting that skeletal limb element to a larger build.

I'm not sure why you chose bevel gears over cogs for the gear function? Looks to me like either would fit, and I generally find cogs to be much more reliable.  Very nifty torso design, though. It looks smart structurally and, like the rest of the MOC, keeps the skeletal look through smart use of Technic without making Kulta look flimsy.

And of course the weapons is neat.

The fire girl looks elegant.

Edited by Obsessionist
  • Upvote 1

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

This is amazing! All of the gears, the combination of old and new- it all flows together so perfectly! I can also see how you built him from the pictures alone, and he's got a surprisingly simple basic build. I've kept all of my 2015 sets nearly totally unaltered, with the exception of my 3 Protectors of Stone, but I will probably find this guy adorning my shelf soon. Is that OK with you?

Thanks! And please, feel free to build your own, all due credit provided :)

Oh, I quite like this.  I was pretty disappointed in the Skull Grinder set, so it's great to see such a faithful revamp do so much to improve it.

It took me a minute to understand those shoulders.  That's an astonishingly elegant solution to a very gappy, difficult to use armor piece!  It maintains the ragged look while filling in the huge hollow, making Kulta look menacing and powerful rather than puny in his own armor.

The legs are a smart way of adapting that skeletal limb element to a larger build.

I'm not sure why you chose bevel gears over cogs for the gear function? Looks to me like either would fit, and I generally find cogs to be much more reliable.  Very nifty torso design, though. It looks smart structurally and, like the rest of the MOC, keeps the skeletal look through smart use of Technic without making Kulta look flimsy.

And of course the weapons is neat.

The fire girl looks elegant.

Thanks for your comments! I went for bevel gears more for novelty than anything, as I got the larger one of the two in a joblot from eBay and wanted to try it out. There's no real difference in performance I've noticed, but I'd argue that this gearbox looks a little more compact than gearboxes using cogs.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Nice work dude-you've kept the aesthetic of the original set while making it bigger; I'd say it even tops Toa Mata Nui in that regard. The Fire Girl is a nice model-simple, but there's a certain elegance in that.

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge