Barraki name surprise

Huh, I never knew that! Pretty interesting, although, glancing at the Wikipedia page, I wonder if Lego named him after the band's namesake, the Karelian word 'Kalmah'?

And if that's the case, I wonder if the other Barraki are named from other languages as well...

*Flies off to internet

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

I just found out that the red Barraki named Kalmah is named after a heavy metal rock band that has the exact same name

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmah

Does Lego know about this or did they ever realize it when it was too late?

Well, Lego has based their names off of existing things before and very often at that. Makuta is a plural measurement of currency, Botar is the name of a radio station, and Lehrak is a last name.

Preeeetty sure Kalmah's name comes from Calimari, AKA squid.

Because he is a squid.

Unless Lego suddenly hired Hirohiko Araki, I don't think they're very big on music references.

Yeah, this is the most appealing answer.

Makes sense, too.

-P146

__________                                                   __                \______   \______  _  __ ___________  _____ _____    _______/  |_  ___________  |     ___/  _ \ \/ \/ // __ \_  __ \/     \\__  \  /  ___/\   __\/ __ \_  __ \ |    |  (  <_> )     /\  ___/|  | \/  Y Y  \/ __ \_\___ \  |  | \  ___/|  | \/ |____|   \____/ \/\_/  \___  >__|  |__|_|  (____  /____  > |__|  \___  >__|                               \/            \/     \/     \/            \/       

.•°•.The Eviscerator.•°•.

all the barraki names are wordplay off sea creatures, most likely a really really odd coincidence. o:

(the only ones that elude me are Takadox and Pridak in that regard, [Pridak from Pr(i)-e-dator maybe? but like idk, that's kinda a stretch, bleh. ])

I wish BS01 went into name origins the way other such wikis do, Bionicle has a lot of em and i kinda like those sections for their fun trivia. o:

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I just found out that the red Barraki named Kalmah is named after a heavy metal rock band that has the exact same name

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmah

Does Lego know about this or did they ever realize it when it was too late?

Well, Lego has based their names off of existing things before and very often at that. Makuta is a plural measurement of currency, Botar is the name of a radio station, and Lehrak is a last name.

Those are all also complete coincidences (especially since you spelled "Lerahk" wrong — I don't think anybody has the correct spelling as a last name).

I wish BS01 went into name origins the way other such wikis do, Bionicle has a lot of em and i kinda like those sections for their fun trivia. o:

I do too. However, this topic and some of the comments here help demonstrate exactly why they don't. Unless Greg or another member of the story team provides an official explanation for where a character name came from (which they rarely did), then it's very difficult to establish a policy for separating plausible name origins from random coincidences like this. What seems like common sense to some people might seem dubious to others, and that would just end up leading to edit wars.

• Upvote 2

Huh, I never knew that! Pretty interesting, although, glancing at the Wikipedia page, I wonder if Lego named him after the band's namesake, the Karelian word 'Kalmah'?

And if that's the case, I wonder if the other Barraki are named from other languages as well...

*Flies off to internet

Well, according to the internet, Hafu is Chinese for "One who has" so I wouldn't be surprised if the Barraki had names which meant things as well.

I do too. However, this topic and some of the comments here help demonstrate exactly why they don't. Unless Greg or another member of the story team provides an official explanation for where a character name came from (which they rarely did), then it's very difficult to establish a policy for separating plausible name origins from random coincidences like this. What seems like common sense to some people might seem dubious to others, and that would just end up leading to edit wars.

I suppose, but still, some things are as crystal clear as pokemon names oft are (Chirox/Kirop, Carapar, VAMPRAH) while others might take some research to figure out x:

it's also of note i guess that this trend only started 2007-onward. as 2001-3 used Maori names, and 2004-6 used mostly made up names. o:

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Kalmah - calamari

Mantax - manta

Ehlek - eel or electric

Carapar - carapace (crab shell)

Takadox - several genus of mantis have names like this, including Toxodera, Toxoderopsis, and Toxomantis

Pridak - I found absolutely nothing. No scientific shark names, no foreign words, nothing. The only think I found was a Swedish company called Pridak AB.

Edited by Give me some sweets please
  • Upvote 4

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

it's also of note i guess that this trend only started 2007-onward. as 2001-3 used Maori names, and 2004-6 used mostly made up names. o:

2001–2003 names weren't just Maori. 2001 names came from a bunch of different Polynesian languages, and 2003 Matoran names from the Mata Nui Online Game II came from all over the world (the name "Nixie" even came from English).

2006 also had some names that seemed to have fairly obvious derivation (like "Axonn" and "Brutaka"), but you're right that most 2004–2005 names seemed to be cut from whole cloth.

• Upvote 1

2001–2003 names weren't just Maori. 2001 names came from a bunch of different Polynesian languages, and 2003 Matoran names from the Mata Nui Online Game II came from all over the world (the name "Nixie" even came from English).

You forgot "Brander" which isn't just a name, it's a normal, average English word.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Gunhaver and I had an extremely long message chain a while ago documenting every foreign word Matoran name (and other things, like masks) we could think of. I've been meaning to compile it and post it at some point, but I felt like it didn't need its own topic. Spoilered because it's really long. Lots of Finnish and Maori:

Orkan is the German word for hurricane. Orkahm is a Le-Matoran.
Boreas was a Greek god of the wind. Boreas is a Le-Matoran.
Agni is a Hindu god of fire. Agni is a Ta-Matoran.
Tiribomba is Spanish for bonfire. Tiribomba is a Ta-Matoran.
Pakastaa is the Finnish word for freeze. Pakastaa is a Ko-Matoran.
Talvi is the Finnish word for Winter. Talvi is a Ko-Matoran.
Pelagia is a Greek girls name, meaning "of the sea". Pelagia is a Ga-Matoran.
Nixie is a German name and word for a water spirit. Nixie is a Ga-Matoran.
Kapura, from Hungarian to English, translates to great. As in like a part of a title. That's something.
Matoro in Maori, means "revisit"
Onepu in Maori means "sand"
Akamu form Igbo, means "jelly"
Kantai in Dutch means Butcher
Kivi in Estonian means Stone. Kivi is a Po-Matoran.
Tuuli in Finnish means Wind. Tuuli is a Le-Matoran.
Arktinen in Finnish means arctic. Arktinen is a Ko-Matoran.
Jaatikko in Finnish means glacier. Jaatikko is a Ko-Matoran.
Kylma in Finnish means cold. Kylma is a Ko-Matoran.
Piatra in Estonian means stone. Piatra is a Po-Matoran.
Kaukau is Maori for swim.
Pakari is Maori for strong.
Kakama is interesting, because in Maori, it means a number of things such as active, alert, capable, and aware.
Ruru is Maori for owl.
Mahiki is Maori for certainty.
Huna in Maori means hidden.
Hau ALSO means external force or essence.
Rau means to gather or to put into place. Like a puzzle, I suppose.
Miru mean alveolus, a part of the lung.
Tahu means ignite in Maori.
Kopaka means ice or frost.
Huki means... epilepsy?* It also means tide (Lego you cheeky..)
Maku means wet, damp, or moist.
Kongu means cloudy or overcast.
Tamaru also means to shady or cloudy.**
Kopeke means to be cold.
Taipu means sand hill.
Wahi means location or place.
Rama means lamp or torch, like a bug would swarm around.
Mata means face or surface in Maori, Nui means big or great. We should have seen it sooner! Mata Nui's big face was under the surface of the island of Mata Nui!
Olisi in Finnish means would. As in what could or would come.

*Possibly a reference to the Po-Koro plague
**As opposed to "sunny", implying on the treetops. Tamaru was afraid of heights.

And that's all we could think of.

• Upvote 3

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

I always thought Pridak's name referred to his "pride." Now, I'm not too well read on the '07 storyline, so I don't know if he really had excessive pride, but when you're the leader of a league that controls most of the known universe, I think you'd think highly of yourself.

I know a group of sharks is not called a "pride," but hey, it could also work.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Gunhaver and I had an extremely long message chain a while ago documenting every foreign word Matoran name (and other things, like masks) we could think of. I've been meaning to compile it and post it at some point, but I felt like it didn't need its own topic. Spoilered because it's really long. Lots of Finnish and Maori:

show

Kapura, from Hungarian to English, translates to great. As in like a part of a title. That's something.

Kakama is interesting, because in Maori, it means a number of things such as active, alert, capable, and aware.

Ruru is Maori for owl.

Kopeke means to be cold.

Taipu means sand hill.

Mata means face or surface in Maori, Nui means big or great. We should have seen it sooner! Mata Nui's big face was under the surface of the island of Mata Nui!

**As opposed to "sunny", implying on the treetops. Tamaru was afraid of heights.

Nice list! I have my own here, though it only covers 2001–2003 since those are the main years LEGO is known to have plucked words directly from other languages rather than changing their spelling and the like.

Some notes on name origins that might be more likely than the ones you have listed:

show
Kapura is a Maori word for "fire"

Akamu is a Hawaiian word for "earth"

Kantai is a Japanese word for "frigid zone"

Kakama in Maori can mean not only to be alert but also to be quick or nimble.

Huki is a Maori word for "to strike"

And some name origins your list didn't include:

show
Brander is dutch for "burner"

Aodhan is Celtic for "fire"

Kalama is Hawaiian for "torch"

Keahi is Hawaiian for "fire" or "flames"

Maglya is Hungarian for "pyre"

Vohon is Ukrainian for "fire"

Nuri (original spelling of Nuhrii) is Hebrew for "fire"

Jala is Rotuman for "to burn" or "to flare up"

Amaya is Japanese for "night rain"

Kai is Hawaiian for "sea"

Kailani is Hawaiian for "the sea and the sky" or "heavenly sea"

Marka is apparently an African name meaning "steady rain", but African is not a specific language so I'd like to research that one further.

Nireta is Greek for "from the sea"

Okoth, again, supposedly an African name, but I don't know what language. Means "born when it was raining".

Shasa seems to be an African name (I wish I remembered where I'd found these ones) meaning "precious water".

Kumo is Greek for "cloud"

Makani is Hawaiian for "wind"

Sanso is Korean for "oxygen"

Shu is an Egyptian god who was a personification of air.

Taiki is Japanese for "atmosphere"

Ally is Celtic for "stone"

Bour apparently means "rock" in an African language, but again, I don't know which one.

Epena is Hawaiian for "stone"

Gadjati is Croatian for "stone"

Kamen is old Slovak for "block", "brick", "rock", or "stone"

Pekka is Finnish for "rock"

Hafu is Maori for "rock", "stone", "brick", "iron", or "jewel"

Aiyetoro means "peace on earth" in a Nigerian language (that's a lot more helpful than "African") but I don't know which one.

Azibo is Malawi for "earth"

Damek is Slavic for "earth"

Dosne is Celtic for "from the sand hill"

Kaj is Danish for "earth"

Mamoru is Japanese for "earth"

Tehuti is an alternate transliteration of the Egyptian god Thoth, who was a god of... a lot of things, really.

Zemya is Bulgarian for "earth"

Jaa is Finnish or Estonian for "ice"

Lumi is Finnish, Estonian, Ludian, or Vod for "snow"

Toudo is Japanese for "frozen soil"

Vakama is Fijian for "burn"

Onewa is Maori for "basalt"

Gali is Gamilaraay for "water" or "rain"

Lewa is Hawaiian for "sky" or "atmosphere"

Pohatu is Maori for "stone"

Whenua is Maori for "land" or "homeland"

Toa is Maori for "hero" or "champion"

Turaga is Fijian for "chief"

Tohunga is Maori for "artisan", "expert", or "priest"

Bula is Fijian for "life" or "good health" (Bula berries in the original Bionicle GBA game restored health)

Harakeke is Maori for "flax"

Fikou is Rotuman for "hermit crab"

Fusa is Swahili for "attack" or "beat"

I couldn't find a definition for "hoi", but "hoi a" in Rotuman can apparently mean "turtle".

Hoto is Maori for "to be startled; convulse"

I couldn't find a definition for Jaga (as in Nui-Jaga or Kofo-Jaga), but "reumajaga" is Rotuman for "scorpion" and Kofo is Rotuman for "to smoke; emit fire".

Kahu is Maori for swamp harrier

Kuma (as in Kuma-Nui) is Tongan for "mouse" or "rat". Nui, of course, means "great".

Rahi is Maori for "big"

Taku is Rotuman for "duck" or "goose"

Vatuka is a compound of the Fijian words Vatu meaning "stone" and Ka meaning "thing"

Ignalu's a fun one because it's a compound of the Latin Ignis meaning "fire" and the Hawaiian Nalu meaning "surf".

Ngalawa means "canoe" in various African languages.

Koli is Hawaiian for "meteor". Almost like the name of a certain brand of Koli balls... ;)

And I found meanings for a LOT of location names. Just read the spreadsheet for those.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

show

Ruru is Maori for owl.

Kopeke means to be cold.

Taipu means sand hill.

Nice list! I have my own here, though it only covers 2001–2003 since those are the main years LEGO is known to have plucked words directly from other languages rather than changing their spelling and the like.

Some notes on name origins that might be more likely than the ones you have listed:

show
Kapura is a Maori word for "fire"

Akamu is a Hawaiian word for "earth"

Kantai is a Japanese word for "frigid zone"

Kakama in Maori can mean not only to be alert but also to be quick or nimble.

Huki is a Maori word for "to strike"

And some name origins your list didn't include:

show
Brander is dutch for "burner"

Aodhan is Celtic for "fire"

Kalama is Hawaiian for "torch"

Keahi is Hawaiian for "fire" or "flames"

Maglya is Hungarian for "pyre"

Vohon is Ukrainian for "fire"

Nuri (original spelling of Nuhrii) is Hebrew for "fire"

Jala is Rotuman for "to burn" or "to flare up"

Amaya is Japanese for "night rain"

Kai is Hawaiian for "sea"

Kailani is Hawaiian for "the sea and the sky" or "heavenly sea"

Marka is apparently an African name meaning "steady rain", but African is not a specific language so I'd like to research that one further.

Nireta is Greek for "from the sea"

Okoth, again, supposedly an African name, but I don't know what language. Means "born when it was raining".

Shasa seems to be an African name (I wish I remembered where I'd found these ones) meaning "precious water".

Kumo is Greek for "cloud"

Makani is Hawaiian for "wind"

Sanso is Korean for "oxygen"

Shu is an Egyptian god who was a personification of air.

Taiki is Japanese for "atmosphere"

Ally is Celtic for "stone"

Bour apparently means "rock" in an African language, but again, I don't know which one.

Epena is Hawaiian for "stone"

Gadjati is Croatian for "stone"

Kamen is old Slovak for "block", "brick", "rock", or "stone"

Pekka is Finnish for "rock"

Hafu is Maori for "rock", "stone", "brick", "iron", or "jewel"

Aiyetoro means "peace on earth" in a Nigerian language (that's a lot more helpful than "African") but I don't know which one.

Azibo is Malawi for "earth"

Damek is Slavic for "earth"

Dosne is Celtic for "from the sand hill"

Kaj is Danish for "earth"

Mamoru is Japanese for "earth"

Tehuti is an alternate transliteration of the Egyptian god Thoth, who was a god of... a lot of things, really.

Zemya is Bulgarian for "earth"

Jaa is Finnish or Estonian for "ice"

Lumi is Finnish, Estonian, Ludian, or Vod for "snow"

Toudo is Japanese for "frozen soil"

Vakama is Fijian for "burn"

Onewa is Maori for "basalt"

Gali is Gamilaraay for "water" or "rain"

Lewa is Hawaiian for "sky" or "atmosphere"

Pohatu is Maori for "stone"

Whenua is Maori for "land" or "homeland"

Toa is Maori for "hero" or "champion"

Turaga is Fijian for "chief"

Tohunga is Maori for "artisan", "expert", or "priest"

Bula is Fijian for "life" or "good health" (Bula berries in the original Bionicle GBA game restored health)

Harakeke is Maori for "flax"

Fusa is Swahili for "attack" or "beat"

I couldn't find a definition for "hoi", but "hoi a" in Rotuman can apparently mean "turtle".

Hoto is Maori for "to be startled; convulse"

I couldn't find a definition for Jaga (as in Nui-Jaga or Kofo-Jaga), but "reumajaga" is Rotuman for "scorpion" and Kofo is Rotuman for "to smoke; emit fire".

Kahu is Maori for swamp harrier

Kuma (as in Kuma-Nui) is Tongan for "mouse" or "rat". Nui, of course, means "great".

Rahi is Maori for "big"

Taku is Rotuman for "duck" or "goose"

Vatuka is a compound of the Fijian words Vatu meaning "stone" and Ka meaning "thing"

Ignalu's a fun one because it's a compound of the Latin Ignis meaning "fire" and the Hawaiian Nalu meaning "surf".

Ngalawa means "canoe" in various African languages.

Koli is Hawaiian for "meteor". Almost like the name of a certain brand of Koli balls... ;)

And I found meanings for a LOT of location names. Just read the spreadsheet for those.

Interesting! Thanks for the spreadsheet. I never realized there were so many different languages used.

*looks at the mask on the back of the fikou*

they... weren't... spiders at all? it makes so much more sense this way when i think about it but... i'm having a hard time believing it.

Hey, it's not the weirdest surprise about old-school Rahi/creatures. Hapaka was an elephant, in spite of their story description clearly describing them like dogs.

Heh, I was sorta into Kalmah when I was a teenager and the coincidence definitely didn't go by unnoticed... I always thought they were the kinda music the Barraki might actually like. Sorta dark and sludgy compared to most...folk metal? Is that what Kalmah are? Folk metal? :P