Bionicle: Legend Of Mata Nui Discussion Topic

OlJuz4N.png

A topic to discuss the unreleased and as yet unleaked Bionicle game that was set to define the canon of Bionicle. First of all let me reiterate that this is not a begging thread and is only to be used for concise communication that will hopefully lead to the eventuality of this game being made playable in some form. While there have been many topics like this before, I wish to cut through the fluff that previous threads have had and make this a launching point for action. JrModelMasterBuilder and co. spoke of some leads in early to mid 2014. The first port of call would be discussing these leads.

• Upvote 2

There are no 'live' leads right now. Pretty much every one we've had has been killed by tons of people contacting them to the point they got overwhelmed/annoyed and dropped contact.

It'd be nice to talk to DeepBrick again - there's a bunch of stuff comparable to the cancelled game that has slipped onto the internet. Some of it LEGO is even aware of, and they just don't care. The idea that LEGO's legal team would swoop down on him if he shared his copy is patently absurd - nobody cares about that game except for us. They just can't explicitly grant permission for him to upload it because they have to protect their IPs.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Pereki that is an awful shame. It seems Deepbrick is our last hope, I messaged MarkofMoD on his Youtube channel and he was being quite unresponsive. Hopefully we can somehow create new leads? 

I sent a letter to LEGO, obviously it will fall on deaf ears but we have to try something. You'd think with them Rebooting the series they would take more interest in what the fans want. Even if it was just an "HD remake" put on the android app store. It is still money that has been spent by LEGO that you think they'd want to salvage  <_<

I remember seeing the trailer for this game in my living room when I was about three or so (about the time when I first got into BIONICLE to begin with) and saying something like "I want that, I want that game I think, but I don't know whats it for." Basically me saying I want it, but I don't know what system/PC it runs on. My mother, who was watching it with me than said "don't worry, we'll get it". Of course that didn't happen, even though this game was advertised, it never came to be. I would really like to know why, I know that there is a game breaking bug in Onua's stage that disallows you from progressing, but to me it just seems like an overlooked feature, i.e how deep you can go before you die, sort of over looked thing. But other than that, I really don't know why this game was never released, one of the many mysteries of BIONICLE and BIONICLE Games that may never truly be solved. If someone could somehow get this game, and upload it to a rom of some sort, so that fans and people who know what they are doing can allow this game to be played, and hopefully fix it's issues, that would be great.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

even though this game was advertised, it never came to be. I would really like to know why, I know that there is a game breaking bug in Onua's stage that disallows you from progressing, but to me it just seems like an overlooked feature, i.e how deep you can go before you die, sort of over looked thing. But other than that, I really don't know why this game was never released, one of the many mysteries of BIONICLE and BIONICLE Games that may never truly be solved.

The official reasons were timing and chip compatibility. Simply put Saffire (the devs) weren't able to deliver the game on-time - had it come out, it would have been in 2002 when the BIONICLE story and products had already moved on. As far as 'chip compatability' goes, the rumor is that the game only worked on very specific devices - how they managed to bungle that up is beyond me, but its not the strangest thing to happen. It would have been repairable I'm sure, but again, time was money. So rather than throw more money into manufacturing and distributing the game, LEGO decided to eat their losses - ultimately less costly than producing a game that wouldn't be bringing in too much revenue via other available products.

MNOG was probably a factor - it had been an unexpected success and was able to fulfill the story end of the problem by showing how the PC game would have concluded (more or less). LEGO loved it so much that they even commissioned Templar to develop a retail version of the game (even though that, too, was basically shelved - only to surface when the game was rehosted on the BIONICLE site in 2006).

The Onua bug isn't what caused the cancellation, but it is symptomatic of the problems that did.

Edited by Pereki

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

So Pereki, ALL leads are dead? JrModelMasterBuilder seemed pretty certain he was well within reach of the game.

9/11, Violence, Onua bug are all just stupid hearsay reasons why it was cancelled. It was clearly Saffire and LEGO miscommunicating. Did you know, when the game Lego Island was completed, the studio fired the entirety of the staff. For no reason, this seems to be a up on Lego Media's part. Just like Lego Island.

The clip of Onua putting himself together in the trailer was on a promo CD that I had as a kid. Never realized it was from the game until a few months ago.

Frankly I am not to concerned that this game never was released, since MNOG covered the important parts. I'd argue MNOG is one of the best undiscovered online games ever.

• Upvote 4

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I recently contacted a number if people involved in the game (about a week ago), and was told the official date and reason for cancellation by someone. And no, I'm not giving names, because if I have one more of my leads destroyed by people who have no clue about this game, I'm going to shoot myself. I couldn't start a topic because I was told not to start them anymore, also I didn't want anybody spamming my leads, so thank you for bringing this back to light topic starter.

Edited by Jaek_3
  • Upvote 2

So Pereki, ALL leads are dead? JrModelMasterBuilder seemed pretty certain he was well within reach of the game.

9/11, Violence, Onua bug are all just stupid hearsay reasons why it was cancelled. It was clearly Saffire and LEGO miscommunicating. Did you know, when the game Lego Island was completed, the studio fired the entirety of the staff. For no reason, this seems to be a ###### up on Lego Media's part. Just like Lego Island.

Where did JMMB say that?

Wasn't someone in contact with a lady who still had one of the Beta discs and waswilling to distribute it, who then ceased contact upon being spammed by a bunch of people? Pretty frustrating to think how close we were to getting the game...

I contacted her, and she no longer has it.

OlJuz4N.png

A topic to discuss the unreleased and as yet unleaked Bionicle game that was set to define the canon of Bionicle. First of all let me reiterate that this is not a begging thread and is only to be used for concise communication that will hopefully lead to the eventuality of this game being made playable in some form. While there have been many topics like this before, I wish to cut through the fluff that previous threads have had and make this a launching point for action. JrModelMasterBuilder and co. spoke of some leads in early to mid 2014. The first port of call would be discussing these leads.

Putting together an organized group of people tasked with finding this game will not work. Believe me, I've tried. These revival topics all start with the intention of finding the game *cough cough cough* but it always falls back into discussing how much people want the game. This only works in small groups of people who can be trusted. If we mount a large scale 'search force' for the game, I guarantee you that every single lead will be destroyed by the end of the day.

I dub this person Black Mamba: I have nothing from the Lego stuff we did, sorry.  The project was cancelled on September 17, 2001.  One of our Lego contacts told us that they were moving all of their development back to Europe so they wouldn’t have to be traveling to the U.S. to manage projects.  We were down about $1 million on a back-ended contract when they cancelled.  It was a real bummer.

• Upvote 7

The time was ripe for another LoMN thread!

These pop up every few months or so... they don't change a thing about the game's status. No one should get their hopes up.

An official topic would be nice.

Wasn't someone in contact with a lady who still had one of the Beta discs and waswilling to distribute it, who then ceased contact upon being spammed by a bunch of people? Pretty frustrating to think how close we were to getting the game...

That may have been the person XONAR was talking to. She no longer has a copy because it was an incomplete 15 year old computer game.

Where did JMMB say that?

He didn't. He did figure out the format used in one of the Onua 3D models though... maybe this is what that guy is referring to.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Though I doubt it, I would like to know if 9/11 played a factor with the game and it's cancellation, along with the amount of money that already went into it, and the delays which eventually brought it to it's death, I was suspicious of the Onua glitch if that may have been a factor, but from what we have been able to conduct, it seems unlikely a reason for it's cancellation, it may have played a factor, but it certainly wasn't the main reason, or maybe might not even been a major reason for it's cancellation.

STILL, it would be nice to play it in some capacity of some sort, either from fan effort, or some independent dev or even from a rom hacker of some sort.

pure_muscle.png

Though I doubt it, I would like to know if 9/11 played a factor with the game and it's cancellation

It did to some extent. In one of the old topics, a developer was quoted as saying something like "9/11 didn't help." Though, I doubt it had THAT much impact, if it was only officially cancelled six days later.

I think that they said the main reason it was cancelled was money. They said the bugs could have been fixed within a week, but they didn't have a budget anymore.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Though I doubt it, I would like to know if 9/11 played a factor with the game and it's cancellation, along with the amount of money that already went into it, and the delays which eventually brought it to it's death, I was suspicious of the Onua glitch if that may have been a factor, but from what we have been able to conduct, it seems unlikely a reason for it's cancellation, it may have played a factor, but it certainly wasn't the main reason, or maybe might not even been a major reason for it's cancellation.

STILL, it would be nice to play it in some capacity of some sort, either from fan effort, or some independent dev or even from a rom hacker of some sort.

I don't understand why people are saying it's unobtainable now. Beta disks (at least 100) must be scattered, like the Kanohi haha! Could you pm me with more information Jaek_3 , I plan on making a documentary like video explaining everything and would love to have all the info.

I don't understand why people are saying it's unobtainable now. Beta disks (at least 100) must be scattered, like the Kanohi haha! Could you pm me with more information Jaek_3 , I plan on making a documentary like video explaining everything and would love to have all the info.

No need. Jaek and I are working on a document that compiles all the information that's been released - officially and unofficially - about the game.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

I have already disclosed everything that I please :P

There were no beta disks, not even the 8 that were supposedly distributed in Toa canisters. I have contacted dozens of people, including the developers, and not one has it. The only person who is known to have it is DeepBrick, however, he is under the assumption that releasing the game will be like to opening Pandoras Box, ignoring the fact that leaking a canceled Bionicle game has in fact already happened.

Every single time LOMN has been discussed in the past, the question of legality comes up. Now I ask: Who in the entire world would care about a 15+ year old cancelled game besides us 20 or so? Lego? Saffire? Well, Lego has already shown their support of this type of fan effort. At any rate, if it was such a big potentially law suit inducing problem, wouldn't MNCOL have stirred up something? Lego itself pulled the plug on the whole project, it's not exactly like they would care about the game now.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

If we managed to get a rom of the game, and the fans were to fix it, and release it for free (with LEGO's consent) would that even be possible to do?

pure_muscle.png

Um can anyone explain how this person got a hold of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAa_YDCxJpY ???

I remember many topics about this in the past including someone was trying to make the game out of all the possible information for it they could find, but how did that person on Youtube have the gameplay of it?

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Um can anyone explain how this person got a hold of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAa_YDCxJpY ???

I remember many topics about this in the past including someone was trying to make the game out of all the possible information for it they could find, but how did that person on Youtube have the gameplay of it?

The game is owned by a dude who goes by DeepBrick. He declined to share how he got the game, and in fact was so paranoid about LEGO 'finding' him that he only spoke through an emissary, Mark/Red Quark. Eventually people convinced DeepBrick to share some recordings of the game and Mark uploaded them to YouTube here.

• Upvote 1

The game is owned by a dude who goes by DeepBrick. He declined to share how he got the game, and in fact was so paranoid about LEGO 'finding' him that he only spoke through an emissary, Mark/Red Quark. Eventually people convinced DeepBrick to share some recordings of the game and Mark uploaded them to YouTube here.

Wow I did not know someone actually owned the game, was DeepBrick someone who may have worked at LEGO for a brief period of time and took the files when he left or something?

Or was it just a case of him being lucky enough to find files for it?

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

One of the guys at the Mask of Destiny website (Mark) was given gameplay footage, screenshots, and even an audio clip by Deep Brick; Mark uploaded them and that's where that video comes from.

This site still exists. Maybe we can find him there?

Don't try to contact Mark. Everyone has tried to contact Mark. If he were interested in reaching out to the community again, he would post something on BZP or another fan site.

You wouldn't be able to reach him on Mask of Destiny anyway, he isn't there anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the guys at the Mask of Destiny website (Mark) was given gameplay footage, screenshots, and even an audio clip by Deep Brick; Mark uploaded them and that's where that video comes from.

This site still exists. Maybe we can find him there?

Don't try to contact Mark. Everyone has tried to contact Mark. If he were interested in reaching out to the community again, he would post something on BZP or another fan site.

You wouldn't be able to reach him on Mask of Destiny anyway, he isn't there anymore.

So what is the curent status of this great quest? Do we have any leads, or is there currently no progress? I agree that swarming possible leads with mails is a bad thing, so if there are any current leads, don't reveal their contact info. Simply knowing that there are active leads is enough knowledge for the fan base to raise some optimism  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not as disappointed with not seeing a release of the game itself as I am with not knowing the full plot of it all. Even with the comics, novels, and TCG combined, they never showed how the Toa collected most of their Great and Noble Kanohi and Makoki Stones, which the game was supposed to explain. Areas of the island like the Kumu Islets, the 6 Kinis, Lake Pala, Lake Kanae, Place of Shadow, Hura-Mafa River, and The Three Brothers' Bridge all were never shown in any media beyond the generic Mata Nui Aerial Map, and there was a screenshot from Legend of Mata Nui showing Gali approaching what looks like Ga-Kini, but there's no way of knowing for sure. The game COULD be recreated, if we had those basic facts about it. I wish the Dev CD will be allowed to become public someday, and if that day comes, I'll do what I can to help complete it. But that's not going to happen anytime soon, so I just hope that someone might release the script of the game.

• Upvote 2

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

Actually, the Place of Shadow was a key location in BIONICLE Chronicles: Tales of the Masks. The Toa Nuva and Vakama fought the Rahi Nui there, got a couple masks, and talked to Teridax, which is how they found out he wasn't actually gone. The Kumu Islets were also briefly mentioned in the Encyclopedias as a place Matoran tried to colonize, but the Rahi there were too dangerous.

Anyway, I'm trying to write an article on this game for the Lost Media Wiki, and I'd like to confirm something I can't recall at the moment: is there sufficient evidence to suggest that, besides the Onua glitch, the game is complete?

Anyway, I'm trying to write an article on this game for the Lost Media Wiki, and I'd like to confirm something I can't recall at the moment: is there sufficient evidence to suggest that, besides the Onua glitch, the game is complete?

A big part of why it was cancelled was that it was behind schedule. If that bug was literally the only problem with the game, it would've been really silly of them to cancel it. It isn't apparent in DeepBrick's videos (because they've been edited) but he was actually working around a lot of other bugs just playing through the level. One thing I specifically recall was that backing into a door you just came through would crash the game. There also seems like there's a lot of trouble with the ledge-grabbing mechanic (though it could be that DeepBrick was just really bad at that).

I was more asking how complete the other levels were, but I wasn't aware of any other known glitches. I thought I read somewhere that they could have fixed the bugs within a week, but they were told to abandon the project before they could start fixing them.

I was more asking how complete the other levels were, but I wasn't aware of any other known glitches. I thought I read somewhere that they could have fixed the bugs within a week, but they were told to abandon the project before they could start fixing them.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Saffire had quite a bit of work ahead of them at the time of cancellation.

I found the quote, it's from the topic "New news about LOMN from the creators"

I am now in direct contact with many of the original developers of LOMN. For the sake of anonimity (can't have everybody spamming them) lets call the first one Pohatu.

Pohatu told me that the game was canceled mainly for budget reasons. NOT the glitches. They could have fixed those glitches in a week max. "911 didn't help the economy either" so those people who claimed that 911 had some role to play in this were right. He reffered me to some other people who might the a copy of the game but thats a "work in progress"...

Please post questions and I will answer them.