About Cosmic Bodies and Weather

Soran

Howdy,

Soran here, quick question. I'm curious about what cosmic bodies are displayed within The Great Spirit Robot. There's obviously the spirit stars, but is there a moon? I assume there's a sun but does it set? What about the Red Star? Is it visible from any islands or simply those outside the robot? 

How does weather work inside the robot? There's obviously some places that are colder than other places like Ko-Metru that are inside the robot, is there any explained reason for this or how it works? 

Is there storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc? I assume there are since there is the Energy "Storm" which most likely wouldn't be called that had they no clue what weather was. They can obviously combine elements to form weather patterns as well. Is it safe to assume the weather is more or less normal to how it is on Earth?

Back to stars, as far as I recall the stars inside The Great Spirit Robot were simply lightstones (or something similar?). If this were the case then would it be possible for one of the stars to break off and fall to the world below? This being similar to a shooting star in this instance.

Thanks in advance,

~Soran

• Upvote 2
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

There's no moon to my knowledge, but there were twin "suns" above Metru Nui, which are actually Mata Nui's eyes. I'm not sure whether the red star was visible from within the robot, but definitely on exterior islands like Mata Nui and Voya Nui.

My head cannon for why Ko-Metru is colder is that for whatever reason, the robot's heating system is faulty on that part of his head. Whether it's because that part of his "brain" works better at cooler temperatures or the heating system broke, Ko-Matoran naturally preffered to live there.

As for weather, I can't think of any instances of dramatically different weather. This makes sense inside the robot, but on exterior islands like Mata Nui (pretty much always sunny there, right?), this doesn't make sense. Perhaps there isn't enough atmosphere or variety of geographical features to create significant changes in weather on Aqua Magna.

What doesn't make sense weather-wise is the absense of massive tides on Aqua Magna. Surely by being near to the massively gravitational Barra Magna, it would experience very large tides, flooding Ga-Metru every so often? Aqua Magna not rotating would explain this, but does anyone have any ideas? (as this is related to Soran's question on extreme weather).

I thought the "Stars" of Metru-Nui was light from the thought processors of Mata-Nui. Hence the reason Ko-Matoran could predict the future with them; they broadcasted Mata-Nui's plans.

It also explains why Star gazing was less important on the island of Mata-Nui since %99.9 of the Stars were real. However the Red Star projected artificial Stars which showed support functions of Mata-Nui in function; as in the Toa Stars, and the prophecy Stars seen in MNOG. I think the astronomers in Metru-Nui had more fake Stars to study, but the few fake Stars above Mata-Nui had very important messages.

Now why the Great Beings would use artificial Stars a communication system is beyond me. (Connecting to my wild fantheory the Great Beings are the Forerunners from Halo, they both have the same taste in esoteric and large machines. Don't take me seriously on this. )

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I thought the stars above Mata-Nui were real, not holograms. Adds to the theme of 'fate' and 'destiny' that Bionicle has/had.

And with the stuff inside the Great Spirit Colossus: the weather was artificially generated; the days were sunless, instead generated by a series of holograms and lights (still day-to-night transition, just no giant ball of light in the sky), that is except for Metru-Nui, which had two suns instead of no suns. All of it just adds to the weird, alien atmosphere that is the Matoran Universe, and in-turn Bionicle. Sure, the inhabitants are right at home, but we'd be weirded out if we were there.

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

It's been a long time since I've delved into Bionicle lore, but I'll try to answer these as best as I can.

Please, forgive me if I give any incorrect or debunked info.

When the Phantoka came about, it was stated that light came through to Karda-Nui by way of giant holes in the sky.

It never mentioned the sun in particular, but I believe it may have been actuals rays from a sun.

I never remember anything in Bionicle ever stating that the Matoran could see any moons.

The weather is artificially generated, if I understand correctly.

I believe weather acts like normal everyday weather. 

I'm pretty sure I remember one of the books or comics saying that Voya-Nui was hit with lots of rain.

I could be remembering things wrong though.

From what I understand, the stars they saw at night were in fact real stars.

Evidence being that Matoran were able to see the Red Star at night.

The sky holes I mentioned before would allow this.

Of course, this might not be true.

67685335.jpg             

To my knowledge, weather as we know it doesn't naturally exist in the MU. Any storm or fog has been caused by other forces, such as Toa or Rahkshi of Weather Control. Each region seems to be at a fixed state with little natural change. The only place with changing weather that I can recall is Karzahni, and that place is hardly the norm. It sound odd, but each region of the MU has a specific purpose and would be unlikely to change.

As others have stated, Metru Nui has two suns which are really Mata Nui's eyes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but other domes' light sources come from lightstones in the ceiling. Don't know about Karda Nui, but I always assumed it was permanently day, being the home of the Av-Matoran and all.

I am curious as to why there's a day and night cycle. Does Mata Nui need to sleep too? Is it some kind of cool down function? We may never know.

Again, sorry if got any of this wrong. Some MU mechanics were only hinted at, most likely to avoid spoiling Mata Nui's big reveal. A lot of the specifics are buried under hundreds of Ask Greg questions, which I can't be bothered to dig through. :P

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

I always sort of assumed that different domes within the GSR had different skies (the twin suns of Metru Nui being tied to its location in the head made me think this), so I assume that there could possibly ones with moon-like objects in the sky, but there was not one in the Metru Nui dome judging on the times we saw the night sky.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46