New Bionicle not worth it?

Tuuli

Hey BzP I just want to say Bionicle is back and is better than ever! Or... Is it? I've been collecting the new bionicle sets since the start of last year and now seeing the winter wave sets of this year, I can't help but think this year is no different than 2015. I am starting to believe Bionicle is cheaper than it looks. First of all, you have the sets. The Toa of 2015 were perfect to kick start bionicle and they are amazing sets, but then you look at the protectors and think "wow, why do they all have the same mask?" And its true, why do they? In the bionicle I knew, the matoran always had different masks. It was a defining feature of who they are and gives them personality. All we got are these "turaga-wannabe" matoran who are only different in the fact they are different colors and slightly different builds. But it goes even further than that, the story of 2015 bionicle felt rather cheap and gimmicky. It seems like Lego is just cashing in on the name "Bionicle" so they can produce sets with a cheapened storyline to grab more cash. Now again, I do like the sets and none of the sets themselves are cheap, but the storyline feels too rushed and the lack of world building is awful.

Then we look at this year's storyline and sets, and I can't help but think "is this just another money grab?" Well in actuality it is, and its clear that this year they did not have as much funds for the story as they did last year. It's like they cheapened the story even further. I do not know if I'll collect the newest bionicles at once so soon, but I wonder if anyone else feels like the new bionicle is no more than a gimmick?

http://cache.lego.com/r/www/r/bionicle/-/media/franchises/bionicle%202014/wallpapers/wallpaper-okoto-2524x2524.jpg?l.r2=-394090373

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/bionicle/images/6/68/Mata_Nui_Island.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120310160140

Edited by Tuuli
  • Upvote 1

The matoran always had different masks did they? Well then I'm guessing you forgot about the fact that the 2004 matoran all had recoloured versions of the original turaga masks, and how all the rahaga were pretty much recolours of each other (in fact they were even cheaper as they all used rahkshi parts that existed so give 2015 some credit), and how the 2006 matoran all had the same masks as the toa metru (in fact if you think about it the only years that had smaller sets with unique masks were 2001, 2008, and 2009). And how is the story any more gimmicky then last time? You give us no explanation for this. And I'm guessing you haven't heard of the netflix show coming out next month. 

• Upvote 8

It's time to move on.

What's up with those two images? Why did you put them there?

I wanted to show how cheap Okoto is and how amazing Mata nui was. That alone should explain how cheapened the new bionicle is.

@masterchirox

The matoran had DIFFERENT masks regardless, and were not all the same mask. And don't you tell me the protectors have "different masks" because, they don't. Every matoran in the old story had their own colors and masks and you could tell which character they were. They did not give any character to the protectors and heck, for a large part of last year we didn't even know the protectors had NAMES. So tell me, is it the same as old bionicle now? Yes, parts of the old story were cheap and gimmicky, but no where near as gimmicky as today's bionicle. And deep down you know it. There really is no defending the new bionicle.

I mean... technically isn't every line and set LEGO makes a money grab? They are a business, but they hire designers to put heart and care into the sets but if people buy garbaage than as a company I suppose they would feel obligated to sell it. And it's not like most of their other lines are any crazy more complex really. Constraction in general has been a hard sell for LEGO for some times so perhaps they've been trying to put a tad less money into it and see if people are still attracted to it as a whole? Hard to say.

But I don't think G2 is garbage. Do I wish there was more from it personally? In all honesty yeah. But is it any less than something from 2001? I don't think so. Perhaps not as ultra fleshed out world wise, but still pretty good. Since the books and comics and all have come out we've gotten more on cultures, villagers, and just general world building. Is it perfect and missing some of the personality and theming from G1? Maybe, but it is unique in its own right.

The storyline isn't fantastic for me. It's not anything worse than early G1 but I've gotten older and those years are shrouded in some nostalgia, and are simply more endearing. Maybe what's a little off so far about G2 is how many similarities it has to the original, but I don't know if even THAT'S fair considering how much it deviates with some of its story ideas. I feel like LEGO could really do more with this years story, but it hasn't even had as much of a chance to kick in so we'll have to see. All I'm hoping for is more complexity and character building and ways/scenario's of that being shown to us.

So TECHNICALLY, yes, Bionicle G2 is a cash grab. Most things are, but it's a cash grab that I'm sure LEGO and its designer care about, and if it sold I'm sure they would've catered directly to us with an uber complex story and very complex and perfectly fleshed out sets with no flaws (because the designers are capable of that, they just have a budget and a standard set for what the sets need to be), but for what G2 is so far I think we should be thankful. We can't expect G2 to be perfect, and it isn't, but what it is we should just be happy that it's back and brings as much awesomeness as it does!

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 7

I have to disagree. The Protectors may all have the same mask, but they're the most unique villager sets that we've had since 2006, and the most complex we've ever had. Also, other than the Turaga in 2001, villager sets generally didn't have unique masks prior to 2008 — they just reused masks from other sets. The Protectors may share their masks with each other rather than with other sets, but that doesn't make the cost of new molds any smaller. And while the story definitely takes a "back to basics" approach, I don't think it's fair to call it "cheap". Not when in just one year we got more free animated content (both in terms of number of webisodes and total amount of new footage) than any year previously.

Rather than a cash grab, I think the LEGO Group's approach to the Bionicle reboot shows that they're "playing it safe", on some levels. They have tried not to go overboard with new molds, one of the things that made the later years of G1 so much less profitable than the earlier years. They also sought to return to a web-based storytelling strategy like they had in the theme's early years, and create sets and stories that re-imagine some of the most timeless aspects of Bionicle. Overall, I think that shows a lot of effort to try and make the Bionicle reboot the best theme it can be.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 14

@masterchirox

The matoran had DIFFERENT masks regardless, and were not all the same mask. And don't you tell me the protectors have "different masks" because, they don't. Every matoran in the old story had their own colors and masks and you could tell which character they were. They did not give any character to the protectors and heck, for a large part of last year we didn't even know the protectors had NAMES. So tell me, is it the same as old bionicle now? Yes, parts of the old story were cheap and gimmicky, but no where near as gimmicky as today's bionicle. And deep down you know it. There really is no defending the new bionicle.

I'm not gonna claim it's the same as the old bionicle. In fact I will say that the old version is superior to how lego is currently handling the theme. But I wouldn't go as far as to say the current version is "cheap" or "another money grab". Aside from the MNOG the turaga were really quite interchangeable, they were often depicted as the same wise old person. And whilst I won't deny lego haven't done as well when it comes to story telling they do have content out there that shows off Okoto and even the protectors (it's just that you have to go looking for it to find it). And could you please give me examples of how the new story is any worse then the old in terms of how gimmicky they are. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Funny how everyone who wants to call the new BIONICLE "cheap" or "lazy" or "gimmicky" can only ever give the reason "I liked it better before".

Is LEGO cashing in on the name BIONICLE?  Yes.  Just like they did every year post-2001.  Once the brand took off they "cashed in" on it for 8-9 years.

Is the new BIONICLE a cash grab?  Yes.  If you want to be astoundingly cynical about it, that is.  LEGO's a business, so they do things to make money.

Is the new BIONICLE gimmicky?  Yes.  In fact it's using similar gimmicks as the 2001-2003 sets had, with geared motion and masks that can be knocked off.

Do the Protectors lack personality because they use the same mask mold?  No.  Their varied body types and tools give them far more personality than most G1 impulse sets.  I find it much easier to believe Korgot is stronger than Kivoda than that Taipu is stronger than Macku, because at least Korgot has wider shoulders and more bulk than Kivoda while Taipu and Macku look exactly the same below the neck.  Also, by not reusing six mask molds to give the Protectors a "unique" mask, we got an additional mask mold that we may not have gotten otherwise, and in seven different color combinations.

Did they cheapen the story this year as opposed to last year?  I have no idea.  More importantly, you don't either, because we're one month into the year.  Heck, even this far in we know we're getting a short series on Netflix.

So yeah.  You're older than you were in BIONICLE's initial run and nostalgia is a powerful thing.  The new story may not be as densely packed as the old one, yet, but saying it's bad is extremely short-sighted.  This new story goes back to the roots of what BIONICLE started as, and G1's early years have more in common with it than they have with G1's later years.

• Upvote 18

OpAXNpl.jpg

@masterchirox

You see the old MNOG and movies and then you know they put more thought into it than "we are the mask makers and we made only 1 shape of mask and now here come the heroes" the original bionicle was definitely more mysterious than this new "pokemon-bionicle" like seriously, and then you look at old sets like the Rahi and know how much better it was in terms of quality of sets and story. I know Mata nui very well thanks to their old stories, Okoto feels like a giant elemental pie with skull spiders....

What did 2001's story tell you about Mata Nui that 2015's story didn't tell you about Okoto?

e: Also, I just realized how funny it is that you call the new BIONICLE "pokemon-bionicle" when the founding story of G1 BIONICLE was literally a "gotta catch 'em all" quest.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 14

OpAXNpl.jpg

That it was an island full of personality and characters and a large backstory and history, rather than "okay so we're on an elemental pie and skull spiders are attacking so let's call upon the heroes so they can collect 2 sets of golden masks and awaken the mask maker" Also, we actually know what mata nui looks like as we were able to fully explore it, and it actually had real names and everything Okoto is just "region of fire, region of earth, etc." And then "the ancient city" it's all just a cheap storyline to mimic the old storyline claiming that the series is "rebooted"

Edit: at least you gotta catch all the differently colored masks which help you create characters and mocs or did we forget about that hmmm? Well this bionicle is a "gotta catch em all" of two different sets of golden masks and "elemental creatures" hmmmmmmmmmm....

Edited by Tuuli

@masterchirox

You see the old MNOG and movies and then you know they put more thought into it than "we are the mask makers and we made only 1 shape of mask and now here come the heroes" the original bionicle was definitely more mysterious than this new "pokemon-bionicle" like seriously, and then you look at old sets like the Rahi and know how much better it was in terms of quality of sets and story. I know Mata nui very well thanks to their old stories, Okoto feels like a giant elemental pie with skull spiders....

You act as if I don't know about these things. I still remember the seeing mask of light for the first time in 2003 and watching it now I can tell you it's an incredibly flawed movie. And do you really expect the animators to go to the effort of showing them creating all the masks they did? I mean it was never specified if they created the masks the matoran wear. And how is the new setup any worse then the early years of the last one. "Mata Nui goes into a coma then these toa appear after they find these magic stones". I mean yeah it was eventually explained but that wasn't till many years later (and they never even intended for it to go that far). And the current figures are getting more complex with each wave. You can't expect lego to just change everything in one wave (at least not without drastically lowering the piece count of the sets) as that would be too expensive. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

G2 has some interesting mysteries in my opinion. We have no idea where the mask makers and villagers came from, what the history of the island is, where the toa came from, the story of the mask of time, etc. Maybe presentation is what's keeping some people from finding G2 mysterious?

I think everyone just wants another MNOG tbh lol. I can't say I disagree. It was an almost perfect game for me (of course decorated in nostalgia) and told the story in an awesome and cool way. As much as I love the toa, I've found that Bionicle's story is most interesting when told from the perspectives of the villagers.

I can see why people find the lack of variety of masks a little disappointing, and most people who disagree are just kidding themselves (or just honest people with a different opinion lol) and I agree. Though the new protectors have tons of personality in their builds, masks are important the same way faces are important to us in real life. When you look at the old Bionicle characters, so many had such similar designs but their masks alone distinguished them and got you to tell the difference.

I think Aanchir put it very well. G2 isn't BAD, they're just playing it safe and simple. Could they do more? Sure! But do we already have a lot that is really cool? Definitely. I hear the graphic novels tell some about the protectors and show the story through their eyes. I'd love a little more characterization too. Right now the toa feel like they don't have strong bonds and relationships/interactions after a whole year of story, and I'm hoping that character doesn't take a back seat to plot or conflict. Sure, the story is built around the sets, but it doesn't have to FEEL that way.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the Protector's having the same mask is a major fault set-wise, as the sets themselves are still very well built, but it certainly takes away any personality they could've had. I feel like the real problem with G2 is the lack of world-building and storytelling, not the sets. Compared to 2001, Lego seems to put a lot more emphasis on the sets at the expense of the story.

Like Aanchir said, they're playing it safe - while G1 had a fantastic story, it was quite controversial at the time, and altogether a risk that tested the boundaries of Lego. After ending Bionicle G1, they experimented using the Hero Factory line and probably found out that the quality of the story isn't the main factor that makes kids buy the toys... or perhaps something of that sort. So now they're not really putting much thought into the story, but instead focus on the things that make the toys profitable.

This strategy won't give us a good story to follow, but it must give great profits to Lego... otherwise they wouldn't be doing it this way. The G2 story isn't bad per se, but there's just hardly any of it.

I find it much easier to believe Korgot is stronger than Kivoda than that Taipu is stronger than Macku.

Maybe that's true based on their appearances (supporting the fact that there's more emphasis on the sets and builds this time around), but we haven't seen either Korgot or Kivoda in the story. Like, ever unless you count those few seconds when they appeared in the webisodes. Taipu and Macku were definitely more fleshed-out characters and had a lot of personality from the get-go, thanks to the MNOG. Taipu didn't even have a set, and Macku wasn't special even though she had one, but they still had distinctive characters. None of the 2015 Protectors have that, not even Narmoto.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

That it was an island full of personality and characters and a large backstory and history, rather than "okay so we're on an elemental pie and skull spiders are attacking so let's call upon the heroes so they can collect 2 sets of golden masks and awaken the mask maker" Also, we actually know what mata nui looks like as we were able to fully explore it, and it actually had real names and everything Okoto is just "region of fire, region of earth, etc." And then "the ancient city" it's all just a cheap storyline to mimic the old storyline claiming that the series is "rebooted"

Mata Nui was a rather limited island with a basic backstory of "spirit brought us here, praise spirit".  You could only explore the parts they put into the game, which was very railroaded.

You keep calling Okoto an "elemental pie" as if that a term that couldn't also be applied to Mata Nui.  At least Okoto justifies its land variety with the islanders having elementally shaped the island over time, rather than having a jungle-tundra-desert transition on an island with no explanation.

Edit: at least you gotta catch all the differently colored masks which help you create characters and mocs or did we forget about that hmmm? Well this bionicle is a "gotta catch em all" of two different sets of golden masks and "elemental creatures" hmmmmmmmmmm....

2001: 72 masks to collect, random two per pack.  2002: 96 Krana to collect, random three per pack, 36 Nuva masks to collect, random two per pack.  2003: 252 Kraata to collect, random three per pack.  2004: 36 disks to collect, random two per pack.

2015: 6 masks to "collect", guaranteed one per Toa set.  2016: 6 masks to "collect", guaranteed one per Toa set.

There is zero comparison to be made.  G1 started with a blatant collectible gimmick, because that's what was "in" at that time, which was also exploited by brands like Pokémon.

It's telling that you'll call the new generation "pokemon-bionicle" as a way of putting it down, but will then immediately jump to defending the most Pokémon-like aspect of G1.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 14

OpAXNpl.jpg

"is this just another money grab?"

Yes, in the same way everything LEGO does is a money grab. They're a business. They're trying to make money.

Show me a business that isn't driven by profits and I'll show you a liar.

As for Bionicle G2 being "cheaper", I don't think so. Right now, we're at the point in G2 where G1 churned out a wave of sets that was exactly the same, and you want to complain about some mask reuse? I could understand if it were a complaint separate from G1, but since you're doggedly trying to use it to prove they're cheaping out on us, I gotta say that bringing up piece reuse isn't going to fare well when up against the Bohrok/Bohrok Kal, two entire waves of the same exact set in different colors.

(I mean, the Bohrok were perfect, but still.)

And the story? Right off the bat, we got an excellent video that set up the central conceit of this new story: two brothers, the Mask Makers, and the drive to find their masks before those who would do evil with them do. Sure, the shortness of the animations made it difficult to explore Okoto and some of the characters as much as they would have liked. They were testing the waters. If they had gone for a full Netflix show right off the bat, and the line had flopped, it could have been their most expensive failure since Galidor. They were playing it safe with a line that already fell from grace. Now that it's (hopefully) paid off, we're getting a miniseries that will allow for more time, worldbuilding, and characterization.

As for "pokemon-bionicle", I honestly don't understand the comparison. It's like Pokémon because it... has animals? You've lost me here.

• Upvote 11

I mean, you haven't really made a point yet.  You've just been saying that the new generation is awful because reasons, most of the "reasons" either being things that G1 did as much or more, or attempts to compare one year of G2 with several years of G1.

• Upvote 9

OpAXNpl.jpg

What's up with those two images? Why did you put them there?

I wanted to show how cheap Okoto is and how amazing Mata nui was. That alone should explain how cheapened the new bionicle is.

@masterchirox

Would you be saying the same thing if Okoto came first?

• Upvote 6

bZpOwEr

Wait, so there aren't enough unique mask molds for G2? G1 had 18 molds in the first two years. G2 has 16 so far, and we're only at one and a half years of stuff.

As for "pokemon-bionicle", I honestly don't understand the comparison. It's like Pokémon because it... has animals? You've lost me here.

There is a collection aspect in both, so they're totally completely the same.

• Upvote 6

I disagree.

We always had good and bad sets, and the first Matoran were just same torso and rehash of already seen masks. Same goes for the Voya Nui matoran. Just remember the terribly built Rhoodaka and Sidorak. 

The story shouldn't be judged yet since the original Bionicle was also slow, but went on to progress rapidly as time went by. This isn't the case with g2 so indeed it does seem to be weak for now, but you gotta keep in mind that they're going for a more childish (this is Lego after all) feel so it's obviously not gonna have anything too deep in contrast with g1.

Lego always grabbed money on the sets, that's the point of making them. Did you forget all those bloody kranas and kratas? Disks? Yeah, not fun. Atleast we didn't get that yet, and the sets are looking a lot more buffed now instead of the skinny figures we saw in g1 so that's a plus too. 

Elemental creatures also look way nicer than Rahi so yeah.

I myself, am in love with g1 and g2 is just way past my prime for me to get hooked in it, but I won't write it off yet. It's only the second year and in g1 things weren't really developed either when it hit year 2. Only after Rahkshi did things get really rolling instead of sticking to the bad guy gets beaten new one comes formula. 

It's too early to judge. (Definitelly better than Hero Factory tough)

Edit: It's a reboot so ofcourse it's gonna share elements with the original. .-.

Edited by ChaosMarin
  • Upvote 1

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

OPEN WORLD 3D GAME SET ON SPHERUS MAGNA AFTER THE END OF G1

I find it much easier to believe Korgot is stronger than Kivoda than that Taipu is stronger than Macku.

Maybe that's true based on their appearances (supporting the fact that there's more emphasis on the sets and builds this time around), but we haven't seen either Korgot or Kivoda in the story. Like, ever unless you count those few seconds when they appeared in the webisodes. Taipu and Macku were definitely more fleshed-out characters and had a lot of personality from the get-go, thanks to the MNOG. Taipu didn't even have a set, and Macku wasn't special even though she had one, but they still had distinctive characters. None of the 2015 Protectors have that, not even Narmoto.

We've definitely seen BOTH of them in the story—just not in the animations. Korgot and Kivoda both appeared in both chapter books as well as in the graphic novel. It's debatable whether or not their characterization is as distinct and concrete as that of the MNOG Matoran (characterization being one of that game's strongest suits), but they haven't exactly been lacking for portrayals.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

G2 caught my interest in part of the way set designers played homage to G1. I'm a 21 year old man; definitely not the target audience Lego was going for. But a benefit of that is I have both the Toa Mata in my collection and the new Toa "Masters." And I will boldly declare, the 2015 Toa are light years ahead of their 2001 incarnations. They feel unique, and very fleshed out. I'd even say the Protectors are better than the Turaga in terms of build and playability.

Now as for the story; this is a kids line, meant to sell toys. G1 has a complex story for a few reasons though, 1. Early planning lead to deciding on "a great secret" aka the existence of the Robot under the island. 2. Story handling was handed to Greg who was a big fanboy of other detail rich stories. However, these key desicions didn't come well into the line's run; Greg's early comics while fun were very brief and superficial; not unlike the current web animations, and he didn't get to dive into the story with the novels until mid 2003! The Great Spirit Robot, the driving mystery for G1 was not revealed until 2008, 7 years after the story had started. Other early G1 story devices were also superficial (the movies).

Really the main standout of early G1 was the MNOG. It was obvious the story writers and Templar Studios put a lot of love into that game. And G1 proved that lightning doesn't strike twice with the overly complicated, buggy, and confusing MNOG2.

I feel G2's story has a chance to be better; who knows what mysterious plans are still in store. And even if the story stinks, I will continue to defend that some of the best Bionicle sets have come from G2. I'd rather take the Toa Masters over the "Stars" any day.

Nerd rant over. Carry on. :)

• Upvote 3

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Not sure how those two pictures prove your point. In my opinion, Okoto is much more detailed and visually interesting than Mata Nui ever was.

As for the other stuff, my general view of it is this: G2's sets are much better than G1's, but G1's story was much more fleshed out. It basically comes down to whether your value the toys or the story more, and seeing as how Bionicle is a toyline, I personally prefer G2.

Of course, story is still important to me, and while we haven't gotten as much as I'd hoped for, we've still gotten a decent amount of material out of G2. Heck, I remember back when everybody was wishing upon a star that Bionicle would get a TV show, and now it's getting one! That's amazing!

So, yeah, is G2 a money grab? Yeah, so was G1. Are G2's 'Protector' toys lazy? If by 'lazy' you mean 'a marked improvement over anything we got in G1'. Is G2's story cheap? Not really, it's just short.

Basically, no, I don't feel 'Bionicle G2' is just a cheap gimmick. It has its priorities in different places, but being different doesn't automatically make it bad.

Edited by Kung Fu Burnout

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

If G2 happened first I would still say Mata-nui was better. If y'all haven't noticed, nothing in this new bionicle is mind blowing, and there will not be a mind blowing ending, as the original bionicle had. And if they wanted to relaunch bionicle so badly then they knew they had a big legacy to live up to, and they've failed to deliver. For a 3 year reboot, they are certainly not delivering a vast and expansive story as the original had. The new story is heavily simplified for all the wrong reasons. Bionicle is more for young kids now than adult collectors. Shouldve known.

If G2 happened first I would still say Mata-nui was better. If y'all haven't noticed, nothing in this new bionicle is mind blowing, and there will not be a mind blowing ending, as the original bionicle had. And if they wanted to relaunch bionicle so badly then they knew they had a big legacy to live up to, and they've failed to deliver. For a 3 year reboot, they are certainly not delivering a vast and expansive story as the original had. The new story is heavily simplified for all the wrong reasons. Bionicle is more for young kids now than adult collectors. Shouldve known.

Exactly how is Mata Nui better? I'm not talking story or characters, tell me how the island itself is better. 'Cause they look the same to me.

• Upvote 2

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1024x7682.png

"Face island" (with definitive features)

http://cache.lego.com/r/www/r/bionicle/-/media/franchises/bionicle%202014/wallpapers/wallpaper-okoto-2524x2524.jpg?l.r2=-394090373

"Elemental pie" (elemental pie slices with no exploration whatsoever)

Which was more creative?

Edited by Tuuli

"Elemental pie"

You can keep saying it, but that won't make it a good argument.

Like I said before, at least Okoto has a reason for being a mix of biomes.  Mata Nui's composition was sort of just "here it is, don't question it".

Their was an explanation that came later on: the mystical powers of natural protodermis. It was still an excuse to have unrealistic biomes. But at least it looked more natural despite how unnatural it was, adding to the cool weirdness that Bionicle sported at the time, just like flesh-bearing robots living on a tropical island in a tribal society.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1024x7682.png

"Face island" (with definitive features)

"Elemental pie" (elemental pie slices with no exploration whatsoever)

Which was more creative?

If you want to make the arument...

Have you forgotten about Metru Nui? That Island is essentially the EXACT same shape (give or take, it's pretty close) as Mata Nui, but it's a city instead of a natural island. 

As far as Okoto, they used a different shape to do what they've always done: divide the island into regions. Sure, Voya Nui, Mahri Nui, and Karda Nui didn't have 6 regions divided by elements, but as someone said earlier, G2 is going back to the roots of Bionicle and the roots have an island divided into different regions based upon element. The concept can only be taken so far...

I personally would've rather seen this year venture off to a new location (I'm waiting for a full continent in the Bionicle universe), but I knew it was going to stay on the island. But I see nothing wrong with Okoto as far as "laziness" or "lack of creativity" when compared to Mata Nui.

• Upvote 5

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I sorta agree. TLG was banking mostly on nostalgia to help push G2 forward. But are they wrong for that? Nope. They needed people to get reinvested in the constraction after the bad taste Hero Factory left (I know there's a lot of people that liked the theme heck I liked it initially, but it's still generally disliked).

Plus, they have a budget like all Lego lines do. They even have to share some it with Star Wars digures.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

@Tuuli, are you by any chance a YouTube user named Eurico Silva? You are clearly blinded by nostalgia, and refuse to accept that you aren't in the target audience anymore. Yes BIONICLE(both G1 and G2) is a cashgrab, Lego is a buisness that wants to make money.

• Upvote 4

The surprise was vampires!

Bionicle is more for young kids now than adult collectors. Shouldve known.

Who would've thought that a toy line, made by a company that manufactures toys for children, is aimed at children?

I think part of the reason Bionicle G1 was more complex is Lego was trying to "age" it with their audience. I was 7 years old when the Toa Mata came out. I was 12 by the Inika saga. Lego knew this, hence the story getting darker in 2005, and then the story getting really dark by 2006. The plan backfired, some old fans were off put by the new approach and others ditched it as they felt "older." (I ditched Bionicle in 2007 due to the weirdness, and a desire to focus on the more "grown" up Lego sets like Cafe Corner) Very few old fans have come back for G2, very few fans were retained by G1, and very few fans are debating online which is better G1 or G2. We are very far from being Lego's target audience!

The only way we contribute to Bionicle G2 sales as adults who knew G1 is: 1) We were old fans who are collecting G2 sets now. 2) We are old fans who now have younger siblings/nephews/children who we buy sets FOR them as a brother/uncle/parent because we want them to enjoy the same stuff we did as a kid, which returns to the fact kids are the target audience...

I will admit, I am concerned London Toy Fair reports are quoting Lego officials in saying they tried to simplify the 2016 story. Again, they are doing it for reaching kids; but they might lose some of the kids interest because a lot of kids actually are detail obsessive. But these quotes are evidence the target audience is... Children.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

We've definitely seen BOTH of them in the story—just not in the animations. Korgot and Kivoda both appeared in both chapter books as well as in the graphic novel. It's debatable whether or not their characterization is as distinct and concrete as that of the MNOG Matoran (characterization being one of that game's strongest suits), but they haven't exactly been lacking for portrayals.

Good point, I forgot about those. I have neither so I can't really comment on the portrayal of the Protectors there. Speaking of which, I would still praise G1 over the fact that they provided characterization for the Matoran without needing to buy things like books or graphic novels, while none of the free content of G2 gave them personalities. Doesn't mean that the Protectors don't have characters at all, but it's kind of a hinderance that the occasional fan will never be able to see it.

In my opinion, Okoto is much more detailed and visually interesting than Mata Nui ever was.

Everyone has the right to their opinion of course, but... Mata Nui looks like a natural island with an exotic shape and, while it has six distinct elemental territories, they blend together much better than those of Okoto. Okoto looks like a lazily drawn hexagonal island with a mountain range that divides it neatly into six districts in such an unnatural way... I'm not saying Okoto is bad, but I would definitely call it uninspired, whereas Mata Nui clearly has a much more imaginative and aesthetically pleasing approach.

Exactly how is Mata Nui better? I'm not talking story or characters, tell me how the island itself is better. 'Cause they look the same to me.

Again, how do Mata Nui and Okoto look the same? They're completely different islands. The only similarity is the six districts. Which happen to be almost symmetrically divided in Okoto, but blend much better with Mata Nui.

• Upvote 1

Cheaper? If anything the new bionicle is much more high quality. The plastic was all over the place in gen 1, some pieces were great, others were rubbery, and others felt really hollow and weird (like all the weapons that had a lighter silver color). In gen 2, just about every piece has rock solid plastic quality. I really appreciate that. Also, the builds are much more interesting. Lots of gen 1 waves had the same builds throughout with little variation outside of recolors and different weapons, now you have much more technic parts and varied builds. Yeah the masks are the same for the smaller sets, but just look at all the creatures. Each one has a very different build and a different function, and in my opinion that more than makes up for the lack of unique masks. I do wish we would get a proper 'titan' set soon, seems like we could with Umarak the Destroyer though. 

I do agree the story so far is terrible though and doesn't compare to the originals, but maybe that might change with the netflix series. In terms of the sets though, i think these are the best yet. Even the 2016 Toa, which in my opinion arent as consistent as the 2015 ones (only Onua and Lewa look good to me by themselves), visually look better than most gen 1 waves. Although maybe thats because i just don't like the technic pinhole  induced gappyness and muted "metru" colors that came with all the later sets. 

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 3

Again, how do Mata Nui and Okoto look the same? They're completely different islands. The only similarity is the six districts. Which happen to be almost symmetrically divided in Okoto, but blend much better with Mata Nui.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure Okoto was meant to have some similarities with Mata Nui to show that it's a reboot with elements from the first Generation, mostly specific to 2001 - 2003. If there were no similarities, people would be saying "it's not the same" and "it's too different."

Oh wait, that's already happened plenty of times despite LEGO's best efforts...

• Upvote 3

I will admit, I am concerned London Toy Fair reports are quoting Lego officials in saying they tried to simplify the 2016 story. Again, they are doing it for reaching kids; but they might lose some of the kids interest because a lot of kids actually are detail obsessive. But these quotes are evidence the target audience is... Children.

I would take those reports with a MASSIVE pile of salt. Considering the source on that didn't seem to even care about Bionicle and didn't so much as describe the individual sets, it's not at all unlikely that they misinterpreted a statement referring to the ENTIRE G2 story (in comparison to G1) to be a statement on the 2016 story specifically (in comparison to 2015).

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Except that you could replace some words in your story summary and you would have the same story as 2001 Bionicle: "okay so we're on an elemental pie and skull spiders Rahi are attacking so let's call upon the heroes so they can collect 2 6 sets of normal masks to make golden masks and awaken the mask maker Great Spirit"

The point is, G2 carries on in the same spirit of G1 to me. It's a similar story and the point is to make new fans say "wow, this is cool!" while old fans say "this reminds me of G1. It's a little different, but I like the allusions and similar story". Remember, old fans also said "wow, this is cool!" in the first place.

As for the "cheapened story line", I would argue that Lego just thinks it will work better for kids now. G1 was "ancient mystery, tribal robots and complex lore", while G2 reminds me more of a comic book, for lack of a better term. It's not worse, it's just different.

• Upvote 8

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username.