Deadly Virtues

The Mad Great Being

(Here I, the Mad Great Being, present my original entry in the Toa Varian naming contest, recently woven into the body of the epic The Great Being Civil War.)http://www.bzpower.c...eing-civil-war/

"Sleep spares him pain."  the dark  voice  murmered.  "Awake,  he  suffers."
    The  throne  deep  in  the  center  of  the  Dark  Hunter  fortress  of  Odina  was  black  and  aged,  and  the  stone  of  the  carved  arms  was  deeply  grooved  in  places,  usually  right  beneath  the  clawlike  metallic  fingers  of  the  being  who  sat  thereon  for  most  of  his  time.  He  was  armoured  in deep  grey,  although  his  body  was  black,  and  there  were  faint  bands  of  yellow  gleaming  along  his  mighty  legs.  His  biomechanical  body  was  incredibly  aged,  far  more  so  than  it  ought  to  be,  but  still  powerful,  and  shadows  seemed  to  gather  and  flow  around  him,  for  he  was  the  Shadowed  One,  commander  of  the  Hunters.
     His  eyes  turned  once  again  to  the  green  tube  of  gleaming  fluid  in  the  corner  of  the  throne  room,  where  dark  amid  the  sad  glow  a  Toa  hung  in  stasis,  his  seven-foot  slender  form  standing  drooping  and  still  in  the  tube,  as  he  had  been  for  the  last  few  thousand  years.
    "Yes,"  the  Shadowed  One  said  again,  speaking  to  himself, for  he  many  times  failed  to  remember  the  hidden  guardian  that  lurked  in  the  darkness  far  above  him, "he  suffers.  And  yet  if  only  we  could  find  a  way  to  unlock  his  mind...!"
     Above,  the  flexible  guardian  sat  in  silence,  as  if  he  had  been  turned  himself  into  a  statue,  the  dust  lying  thick  upon  his  biomechanical  limbs.  He  watched  the  Shadowed  One,  as  he  ever  did;  the  events  transpiring  around  the  leader,  and  the  things  the  leader  muttered  to  himself,  meaning  little  to  him.  All  he  looked  for  was  a  single  mistake.  A  single  sign  of  weakness,  or  compassion.  Then  Darkness  would  strike,  and  destroy  the  Shadowed  One  himself  for  all  his  power,  and  take  the  throne  for  himself.  What  he  would  do  with  it  never  entered  his  mind  to  consider.
      "He  has  slept  for  so  long,"  the  Shadowed  One  mused,  "and  still  his  mind  has  not  calmed  enough  for  his  memories  to  reveal  what  we  seek  in  them."
     Reaching  into  a  cavity  concealed  by  a  secret  spring, the  Shadowed  One  took  from  his  throne  a  strange  device,  shaped  like  a  pair  of  joined  spheres  with  a  hollow  in  the  center,  and  gazed  at  it  for  a  moment.  In  it  were  stored  the  few  memories  they  had  extracted  from  the  suspended  Toa....Varian,  that  was  his  name,  he  remembered....and  if  held  to  his  brow,  the  device  would  enable  him  to  watch  the  memories  as  if  he  was  living  them.  It  was  useful,  but  there  was  a  side  effect:  there  was  always  the  danger  of  mistaking  the  reality  it  conveyed  for  the  reality  in  which  one  truly  stood,  and  of  losing  one's  very  identity  even  after  the  recording  ended.  But  that  only  happened  to  beings  of  feeble  will,  like  Toa  and  Matoran  and  such  like,  and  he  was  not  as  they.  With  a  sigh  the  Shadowed  One,  for  the  millionth  time  in  the  last  few  thousand  years,  placed  the  device  to  his  head,  hoping  against  hope  to  find  some  tone,  some  shade,  something  he  had  overlooked  that  would  reveal  what  he  sought.

The  throne  room  abruptly  vanished  from  his  sight.  In  it's  place  was  a  tropical  island,  with  arching  palms  and  brilliant  blue  water  and  an  all-pervading  light---this  dome  apparently  not  having  a  sun.  It  was  hot  despite  this.

The  Toa  looked  around  at  the  island.  He  had  had  a  rough  night,  being  evicted  from  his  chosen  place  by  some  ugly  Rahi  with  a  temper  problem  and  having  to  sleep  in  a  more  exposed  place,  and  was  feeling  grumpy.  Bad  enough  he  had  been  stuck  here  for  the  past  few  weeks  without  any  hope  of  escape.
     With  a  sigh  he  took  off  one  piece  of  his  armour  and  summoned  his  elemental  power.  The  metal  altered  its  shape  and  became  flat  and  polished  until it  reflected  his  figure.  Tall  and  slender  with  rusty  orange  and  metallic  grey  armor,  there  was  no  mask  on  his  biomechanical  face  with  the  triangular,  carven  features.  Carefully  he  examined  himself  all  over  for  ticks,  sand  fleas,  and  whatever  other  horrible  insect  life  the  Makuta  had  gone  and  bred  for  these  places.  Personally  he  suspected  they  were  later  creations  of  those  makers  of  animals,  bred  after  the  Makuta  had  opened  themselves  to  Shadow  and  become  utterly  evil.  No  other  reason  would  explain  the  sheer  nastiness  and lack  of  purpose  some  of  the  insects  betrayed.  But  he  was  clean,  and  with  a  grunt  of  relief  the  Toa  restored  his  armour  and  fitted  it  back  on.
       Being  a  Toa  of  Iron  was  very  difficult  in  these  days,  ever  since  the  Makuta  evolved  to  pure  energy  inside  walking  suits  of  armor.  They  had  proceeded  to  destroy  anyone  who  could  manipulate  metal,  on  the  mere  possibility  these  could  damage  their precious  armour  and  let  their  essence  leak  out.  As  a  result  there  might  not  be  any  other  Toa  of  Iron  alive  in  the  entire  Matoran  universe.  And  making  a  living  by  skulking  from  place  to  place  of  the  Southern  Islands,  the  most  remote  and  dangerous  part  of  the  world,  was  not  conductive  to  good  health.
      I  might  as  well  face  it,  Varian  said  to  himself.  The  only  way  off  of  here  may  be  to  levitate  myself  on  my  own  armour.  And  goodness  knows  how  far  it  is  to  a  place  I  can  get  a  boat  made.
     He  ran  his  hands  over  his  maskless face  and  groaned.  Since  losing  it  he  had  been  operating  at  half-strength  and  doubted  he  had  the  required  endurance  to  levitate  anywhere. To  keep  his  body  energy  from  draining  all  biomechanical  beings  must  wear  masks,  save  for  exceptions  like  the  Skakdi  barbarians.  His  had  been  smashed  in  the  shipwreck.
     That  morning  he  climbed  for  the  last  time  to  the  mountain  that  rose  in  the  center.  Like  every  mountain  down  this  way  it  was  unstable,  prone  to  sudden  shiftings  and  even  earthquakes  as  if  trying  to  turn  into  something  else.  He  had  seen  rocks abruptly  shift  and  flow into  trees  farther  down  the  beach,  and  some  trees,  wither  up  into  stones.  The  protodermis  that  made  up  the  substance  of  all  existing  things  did  not  seem  to  be  capable  here  of  retaining  its  form  for  very  long.  Today  he  was  going  to  try  something  else.
     Varian  sent  his  power into  the  earth.  His  elemental  energy  coursed  through  the  island,  searching  for  any  metal  it  could  handle. Varian  knew  he  could  only  do  this  for  exactly  five  minutes  before  collapse,  and  just  before  he  was  ready  to  give  up  he  felt  something,  something  buried,  not  far  off.  He  released  his  power  and  slumped  down  in  a  heap.
     When  his  strength  returned  after  a  while,  Varian  got  up  and staggered  over  to  where  the  object  was  buried.  It  wasn't  too  far,  fortunately,  but  the  ground  was  broken  and  obstructed  with  vines  that  writhed  very  slowly  in  coils.  If  you  paused  too  long  among them  they  would  coil  around  you  and  then  drain  your  matter  into  themselves,  leaving  only  husks  of  whatever  metal  they  could not  absorb.  And  here  under  several  feet  of  earth,  Varian  felt the  object  again.  He  rested  a  moment,  even  as  vines  began  to  move  toward  him,  and  then  called  to  the  object.  It  burst  out  of  the  earth  and  lay  at  his  feet.
     It  was  better  than  he  had  hoped.  It  was  a  Kanohi  Mask,  a  Great  Mask  of  Power  what  was  more,  although  the  shape  was  unfamiliar.  He  put  it  on  and  it  became  a  sort  of  rusty  purple  like  metal  that  has been  in  a  fire.  Frowning  he accessed  its'  power,  and gasped  when  he  realized  what  it  was:  a  Great  Mask  of  Conjuring.
      "Some  poor  fool  came  here  wearing  this,  and  yet  it  was  not  enough  to  save  him."  sighed  Varian,  looking  at  the  horrible  vines.  They  were  beginning  to  lick  at  his feet.  "He  must  have  gone  to  sleep  here  in  the  darkness,  and  when  he  awoke,  he  was  in  the  land  of  the  dead."  He  kicked  away  the  vines  and  thought  for  a  minute.  The  wearer  of  this  mask,  if  he  remembered  right,  could  conjure  any  power  into  the mask,  but  it  had  to  be  pronounced  correctly  and  a  limit  specified,  and  syntax  errors  could  result  in  brain  damage.
       "I conjure  the  power  of  Vision."  he  said  clearly.  Then  remembering  the  second  condition,  he  added  hastily,  "for  the  duration  of  ten  minutes."
       He  felt  the  mask  shift  and  change  upon  his  face,  and  then  without warning  he  was  seized  and  transported  from  the  world  of  sight.
         Green.  Everything  around  him  was  a  vivid,  utter  green.  A  green  so  bright  and  beautiful  as  to  cast  into  insignificance  every  shade  of  forest  leaf  he  had  ever  seen.  Gradually  he  became  aware  of  forms  in  the  green,  of  shapes  moving,  and  then  suddenly  reality  crystallized  around  him  and  he  pushed  aside  the  huge  leaves  of  the  tree  he  was  standing  in.  All  around  him  strange  froglike  Rahi  sprang  from  branch  to  branch,  chittering  eerily  to  each  other.  And  facing  him  was  a  figure  that  seemed  formed  of  the  very  earth  itself.
         “Who  controls  the  Three  Virtues,  Toa?”  said  the  being  of  earth.  His  body  was  black  and  loamy  in  texture,  and  his  voice  was  so  deep  it  was  just  barely  audible.
          “Mata  Nui,  I  suppose.”  said  Varian.
         “Not  completely.”  said  the  being  of  earth.  “You  knew  once,  did  you  not?  Yet  you  have  ceased  to look.”
          “I  knew,  yes.”  Varian  replied.  “That  was  why  my  Turaga,  dying  of  the  injuries  a  Makuta  inflicted on  him  during  my  absence,  gave  to  me  the  symbol 
 of  our  Iron  people.  There  was  a  scroll  of  some barklike  substance  we  had  discovered,  and  the  things  it  said  there….
although  we  destroyed  it,  we  did not  forget.”
           “That  may  be  unfortunate.”  said  the  earthen  creature.  “For  you  still  have  the  symbol,  and  the knowledge  of  the 
 scroll.  Others  are  seeking  that  knowledge.”
        “Others?  The  Makuta,  you  mean?  But  they  have  been  hunting  me  already….they  would  only  want  my  death.”
         “I  refer  to  the  hunters  of  darkness.”  the  being  said. “Now  listen.  The  Virtues  were  created  by them  who  knew  not  what  they  were  in  full,  and  wielded  by  one  who 
 knew  even  less.  The  secret  to their  creation  is  in  your  possession,  though  you  know  it  not.  There  is  one  who  knows, 
 but  to  look  on him  is  death.  Enough.  I  cannot  remain.  Resume  your  quest.”
     The  world  swam  and  blurred  before  Varian’s  eyes,  and  when  he  could  see  again,  he  stood  upon  the  island  where  he  had  found  the  mask.
         “I  must  get  away  from  here.”  he  murmered.  Carefully  he  conjured  up  the  power  of  teleportation  “until  I  am  away  from  this  island”  and  disappeared.
         The  island  he  found  himself  on  was  a  strange  place.  It  was  cool.  It  was  like  none  that  he  had  ever  seen,  save  perhaps  for  the  cold  section  of  Metru  Nui:  the  air  was  dry  and  clear,  but  crisp  and  cool,  and  the  plants  around  him  were  unlike  any  other  plants  he  had  seen.  There  were  towering  trees  with  a  roughly  pyramidal  shape,  but  their  twigs  instead  of  leaves  were  clothed  in  dark  green  needles  and  they  were  majestic  beyond  compare.  There  were  tall  slender  trees  with  rough  grey  bark  and  hand-shaped  leaves,  odd  burls  bulging  from  their  boles  where  long-dead  limbs  had  been.  Other  trees  there  were,  huge  of  girth  but  their  lines  of  trunk  and  branch  graceful  as  flowing  water,  their  dark  grey  bark  scored  with  deep  vertical  grooves,  their  leaves  like  sharp  fingers.  The  names  pine,  maple,  oak  were  unknown  to  him,  and  so  he  merely  looked  the  strange  trees  over  and  headed  inland  to  explore.  Perhaps  this  place  at  last  would  provide  a  haven  for  him.
        The  trees  had  shadows  here,  for  this  dome,  small  though  it  was,  had  a  sun.  One  of  these  shadows  stretched  across  his  path  like  a  gaping  trench,  it  was  so  dark.  Varian  was  in  the  act  of  walking  through  it  when  a  being  rose  up  out  of  the  tree-shadow  as  if  it  was  a  cellar  door.  He  was  difficult  to  see,  for  the  instant  he  emerged  the  nearby  shadows  all  bent  toward  him,  until  he  was  concealed  in  a  mantle  of  flickering  grey  and  black  and  blended  perfectly  with  the  dappled  leaf-shadow.
       “Varian,”  a  voice  came  out  of  the  shadows.  It  was  an  incredibly  ancient  voice,  soft  and  yet  filled  with  darkness. 
The  Toa shuddered  when  he  heard  it.  “We  have  been  looking  for  you.”
          “Of  course  you  have.”  Varian  answered,  wondering  if  he  would  have  time  to  conjure  any  new  powers.  “But  you  may  find  it  hard  to  take  what  you  have  found.”
         The  voice  from  the  shadows  laughed,  softly  but  without  mirth.  “We  do  not  seek  your  life,  Varian.”
         His  voice  sounded  from  another  direction,  and  Varian  whirled  around.  “What  is  the  reason  we  toil  all  day,  at  tasks  meaningless  as  well  as  tasks  meaningful?  What  is  the  power  that  merges  the  unmerged?  What  is  the  cause  of  the  events  that  form  around  us,  and  what  is  the  fate  or  the  purpose  of  any  being?  What  chooses  and  directs  us?  Do  you  know  the  answers?”
         “If  I  did,  why  would  I  tell?”
          The  voice  sounded  now  from  right  behind  him.  “Virtue,  brave  Toa.  Virtue  is  in  us  all;  and  if  virtue  can  be  used,  it  would  mean  death,  and  life,  and  many  things  in  between.  What  then  would  you  give  to  manipulate  Virtue?”
         “Nothing.”
          “Nothing?”  the  voice  said  mockingly.  “Oh,  come,  Varian.  You  have  been  fleeing  for  hundreds  of years.  With  the  knowledge  you  have  you  could  purchase  security.”
         “Who  are  you?”  said  Varian.  “You’re  not  Brotherhood.  Who  do  you  work  for?”
        “And  if  I  choose  not  to  answer?”  the  voice  breathed.
         Varian  put  out  his  elemental  power  in  a  flash.  Before  the  being  could  move  again,  his  metal  parts  were  seized  by  the  Toa’s  power  and  held  immobile.  For  a  moment  Varian  saw  a  bizarre  creature,  white-armoured,  with  two  long  hornlike  projections  rising  high  above  his  head,  and  then  the  shadows  flowed  in  around  him  again  and  he  was  hidden.  The  face  Varian  had  seen  was  ancient  beyond  compare,  wise,  filled  with  a  strange  sorrow.
         “Use  a  single  power  and  I  will  unmake  your  metal  parts,  and  leave  your  organic  tissue  to  flop  about  and  expire  like  a  fish.  You’re  not  a  Makuta.  Who  are  you?”
           “So,  you  would  kill  me,  would  you?  A  clever  bluff,  but  I  call  it.  Toa  do  not  kill.”
        “This  one  does.”  said   Varian  grimly.  “I  have  been  hunted  too  long.  Now  I  would  have  some  answers.  Who  are  you?  Who  sent  you?”
         “I  am  doing  the  talking,  Toa.”  said  the  other.  Varian  found  his  power  suddenly  slipping  aside,  and  the  white  being  had  stepped  into  a  nearby  shadow  and  was  engulfed  as  if  the  shadow  was  a  doorway.  The  voice  sounded  again  from  behind  him.  “I  am  Shadow  Stealer.  I  work  for  them  whom  I  hate.  They  want  you,  as  they  wanted  me.  You  do  not  say  no  to  the  Dark  Hunters.”
         “You  might  not,  but  I  do.”  said  the  Toa.  “I  conjure  the  power  of  teleport!”
       The  shadows  burst  apart.  Shadow  Stealer  lunged,  but  even  as  he  did  so,  he  was  flung  aside  by  a  violent  warp  in  the  very  fabric  of  the  matter  in  front  of  him.  Space  itself  was  distorting  before  Varian.  The  next  second  the  Toa  had  stepped  into  the  distortion  and  was  gone.
       ------------------------------------- 
        Varian  had  not  at  all  expected  this.
        When  he  had  conjured  the  power  he  had  expected  to  control  it.  Instead  of  the  vertigo  of dissolution,  he  had  found  himself  spinning  down  some  kind  of  tunnel,  with  walls  of  curving  bands  of 
elastic  light,  flickering  and  bending.  What  had  he  done?
        He  tried  to  conjure  some  other  power,  but  he  was  revolving  at  such  a  crazy  pace  the  words  were ripped  away  from
  him.  Evidently  he  had  to  arrive  at  his  destination  before  the  mask  would  switch powers.  The  walls  of  space  around  him 
 suddenly  constricted  and  he  stopped  spinning,  and  their  hue changed  from  a  pale  red-blue  to  an  incredible  violet  banded 
 with  white.  Out  he  shot  from  a  hole  that split  suddenly  at  his  side,  and  he  came  to  a  standstill.
       When  the  world  stopped  settling,  he  realized  he  was  standing  on  the  floor  of  a  fern  forest.  Giant trees  rose  overhead,
  but  their  leaves  were  fronds,  and  immense  stump-like  cycads  rose  to  a  height  of  a bio  or  two,  with  huge  ancient  fronds 
 branching  from  the  top.  An  undergrowth  of  more  ordinary  ostrich ferns  glowed  a  bright  yellow-green,  and  the  canopy  around  was  a  deeper  and  more  vivid  green  still. Moss  like  emerald  carpeting  clothed  the  soil.
        “A  lovely  place,  but  it  would  help  if  I  knew  where  it  was.”  he  said  aloud.
        There  was  a  tingle  and  swirl  in  the  air.  Before  Varian  could  register  what  it  meant,  an  armored titan  appeared  out 
 of  thin  air  in  front  of  him.  Tall,  black,  entirely  mechanical  without  an  ounce  of flesh,  red  eyes  glowing  through  a  nasty-looking  mask,  he  knew  it  instantly:  a  member  of  the  incredibly powerful  Makuta  species,  who  had  found  him  at  last.
        Both  beings  acted  at  the  same  instant.  The  Makuta  hurled  his  Disintegration  power  at  Varian,  even as  Varian  hurled 
 himself  to  one  side.  A  fern  tree’s  trunk  behind  him  with  a  whisper  collapsed  into dust,  the  tree  falling  with  a  great  
crash.  Even  as  he  tumbled  he  spoke  under  his  breath  “I  conjure Adaptibility!”  and  the  mask  upon  his  face  changed 
again.  The  Makuta  arrested  his  progress  with Magnetism,  catching  Varian  by  his  metal  parts.  Again  he  hit  the  helpless 
 Toa  with  a  wave  of  power—Fragmentation  power,  Varian  saw  in  the  instant  before  it  hit  him,  as  several  fronds  caught  in  its  path exploded  violently. 
 The  Toa  felt  his  body  shatter.
          And  then,  as  his  body  adapted  to  the  attack,  he  re-formed  again  and  stood  whole.
         “Oh,  this  is  going  to  be  interesting.”  said  the  Makuta  in  his  rough  voice.
        Power  after  power  flew  from  him  into  Varian,  and  power  after  power  was  nullified  as  Varian’s body  adapted  to  it.  
Now  it  was  his  turn  to  act,  Varian  realized  as  lightning  coursed  through  him without  harm,  before  his  enemy  figured  out
  an  attack  that  would  work.  Plasma  was  engulfing  his suddenly  heatproof  body  as  Varian  put  out  his  elemental  power 
 over  metal  against  the  armored  form  of the  Makuta---his  best  weapon,  and  the  reason  why  these  beings  had 
 exterminated  most  Toa  of  Iron  in the  universe.
         The  Makuta  felt  his  mechanical  body,  which  his  energy  substance  controlled, freeze  immobile. Alarm  flashed  in  the  red  eyes.  Quick  as  lightning  he  ceased  the  physical  assaults  and  put  out 
 his mental  power,  sending  pulses  of  Confusion  and  Fear,  Anger,  Silence  and  Slowness  into  his  adversary’s mind.
          But  it  was  already  too  late.  The  protosteel  armor,  despite  the  Makuta  invoking  his  limited Invulnerability  power, 
 had  answered  the  Toa’s  command  and  was  disintegrating,  its  metal  unmaking  as its  atoms  lost  cohesion;  until  in  horror 
 the  Makuta  saw  his  own  arms  and  legs  dissolve  and  the  green-black  energy  that  was  his  essence  leak  out  into  the  air. 
 In  his  dismay  he  let  go  of  Varian’s  mind  and the  Toa,  who  had  fallen  to  his  knees  under  the  mental  assaults,  slowly  got 
 again  to  his  feet.
      “Yes.”  he  said.  “I  am  Fe.  I  am  a  Toa  of  Iron.  You  were  justified  in  deeming  me  a  threat, Makuta.  Now  it  is  over, and 
 I  have  won.”
         He  adjusted  the  mask  upon  his  face.  “I  conjure  the  power  of  Psionics!”
          The  thought  of  the  Makuta  roared  against  his  mind,  pleading,  offering  him  amnesty,  power,  and at  the  last 
 threatening.  But  Varian  had  installed  a  mental  shield  in  his  own  mind  and  although  he could  dimly  hear  the  words,  
he  was  not  harmed.
         “You  are  Makuta.”  Varian  spat.  “Why  should  I  obey  the  Code  and  let  you  live,  when  you  my superiors  in  the  order 
 of  the  Universe  ignore  it  with  such  felicity?  The  Hagah  may  manage  to  suppress their  consciences  and  serve  you,  Toa 
 though  they  are,  but  I  am  Iron,  and  I  am  likely  the  last  Iron left.”
        His  eyes  blazed  behind  his  mask.  “I  conjure  the  elemental  power  of  Plasma!”
        Torrents  of  illusions  and  emotions  beat  against  the  mental  block  of  Varian,  eroding  it.  Keeping  his bearings  
with  a  great  effort,  Varian  unleashed  through  his  hands  a  torrent  of  white-hot  plasma,  the gaseous  form  of  metal. 
 It  engulfed  the  swirling  cloud  of  gaseous  energy  that  was  trying  to  creep,  wisp by  wisp,  off  into  safety.  The  energy 
 of  Makuta  cannot  endure  either  extreme  heats  or  protracted abysmal  cold.  The  plasma  burnt  it  all  away.
        Varian  let  his  mask  relapse  and  sagged  to  the  ground.  Was  it  over?  Would  it  ever  be  over?  If  this Makuta 
 had  sent  any  telepathic  messages  to  Destral,  this  whole  dome  would  be  swarming  with  Makuta.  I wonder,  thought 
 Varian,  if  I  can  conjure  a  power  that  makes  me  invisible  both  to  sight  and  telepathy.
        He  picked  a  fruit  that  he  recognized  as  edible  and  closed  his  hand  around  it,  draining  the  energy it  contained 
 until  only  a  withered  husk  was  left.  Biomechanical  beings  do  not  chew  or  digest  food. Sleep.  That  was  what  he 
 needed  right  now.  Sleep,  and  then  maybe  he  could  figure  out  just  what  that stupid  little  rock  with  the  Iron  symbol 
 engraved  on  it  did, and  whether  it  really  had  any  uses  beyond being  an  ancient  tribal  heirloom.  Maybe  he  could  conjure  some  wacky 
 Knowledge  power.
         The  ferns  began  to  rustle  and  a  wind  roared  through  the  forest,  tossing  the  fronds  and  changing their  hue 
 to  several  different  shades  of  silvery  gold.  When  the  wind  failed  there  was  a  difference  in the  air  before  him;  it 
 was  difficult  to  know  just  what  it  was,  for  its  outline  and  even  substance seemed  to  waver  and  swirl  like  the  air 
 on  a  hot  day.  And  when  Varian  probed  with  his  power,  to  his amazement  he  felt  no  metal.
          “What  are  you?”  he  said.
         A  whispery  voice  answered  him,  seeming  to  repeat  itself  several  times  like  echoes,  and  it  was hard  to 
 tell  from  whence  it  came.  “Why  do  you  ask  what  I  am,  any  more  than  you  ask  the  air  you breathe  of  its’  origins?”
        “I  said,  what  are  you?”  Varian  repeated.  “And  where  am  I?” 
       “I  am

Edited by -Windrider-

Sleep spares him pain! Awake, he suffers!

When biking, I utter this at least twenty times in one week:
"SEND THESE CARS TO KARZAHNI!!"

Read here for the REAL story of Makuta's downfall!
The Concealed Battle: http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?sho...p;#entry6990269

The last missing piece of Bionicle saga! What happened to Tarduk's second journey?
Power of the Maze: http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?sho...=0#entry7264251

• 2 weeks later...