What's up BZPower, here I'm bringing to you a dream. A dream I've had ever since I first got hooked to Bionicle.
Waking up in the world of Bionicle, doesn't matter where, when or how, pulling yourself together and embracing the journey that waits ahead of you. Be it fighting the villains alongside heroes, beating up nasty Rahi, fighting in the arena against the Glatorians or rewing up that sweet Cendox V1 and smashing things up - it all sounded so great. The idea of such a game in wich you immersed yourself into the world of Bionicle, not filling up anyone's shoes but going in as you.
This idea has been going in my head for a long time and then... it hit me - Why not make it myself!?
Thus we get to this.
Bionicle: Spherus Magna is a 3D open-world explorer-adventure game. It lets the player embark on his own journey without any real limitations allowing him to explore the world of the reformed Spherus Magna. Think Skyrim, now take away the budget and add Bionicle to it.
Yes, it will have plot! No, it won't be canon. The whole game takes place some time after the end of Mata Nui saga (RIP G1) on the, now once again glorious, planet of Spherus Magna. The 2 societies - Matoran and Agori - are integrating each other and have gotten used to the different world that surrounds them.
Since Greg completely ditched the serials and all the side stories I have decided to forget them too. So, no Lewa isn't trapped by the Agori, Velika isn't a Great Being, there are no Mega-Vorox on Bota Magna and so on. Basically, Teridax was defeated and Mata-Nui sacrificed himself so everyone could live happilly ever after.
As I said, this will be an adventure/explorer game. The player will have the entirety of the new world of Spherus Magna to explore, including all the locations we know of and some original ones I came up with to make the world even richer. The player will have the full freedom to go wherever he wants to whenever he wants to. See those White-Quartz Mountains over there? Go climb them.
See that volcano on the other side? Go dive in. Whatever you want, whenever you want.
The player will also be able to interact with many characters from the universe. For the full list of characters that will appear check below.
- Turaga (all of them)
- Matoran (all known and more)
- Agori (all known and more)
- Rahi (various types, still didn't get to them)
- Bota Magna beasts
Everything. I mean everything. From Canyons and deserts to swamps and snow. I want this game to be as broad as possible and grasp every important location in the Bionicle universe.
Many places to go, many things to do and many items to find. The journeys you take will lead you all over Spherus Magna. You'll go to places from wich you won't want to leave and those from wich you will want to run away. Some of the locations will include the famous White Quartz Mountains, individual elemental districts of the world and some original locations such as The New Atero!
Once a symbol of divide between the villages, the arena matches are now a sport event in wich finest fighters come to battle and grab a drink or two after the match is over. The player will be able to participate in matches against the famous Glatorian in both ground duels and vehichle matches!
Fighting against Rahi, Vorox, Bone Hunters and the very leader of the Dark Hunders - The Shadowed One himself! The player will need to think twice before waving his sword at some of the characters here.
As the player progresses through the game, he will witness the reformed world and be able to talk to a lot of characters, both well-known and those that are original to the game.
I want to make this game really full of places to go and things to see.
Many things you can find.
- Travel methods
Vehichles. All your favourite vehichles from Axalara T9 to Thornatus, up for a ride.
"Say hi to familiar faces"
"Parts? Food? Weapons? - We got it all!"
"I found Strakk. Strakk didn't find any money on me. Strak is mad..."
"Don't go to the Wastelands unarmed kids..."
"Gali asks how are ya?"
"Temple of Mata-Nui - one of the original locations set in the heart of New Atero. The Matoran built it in honor to the Great Spirit."
Now that you've seen the screen-shots, NO I DID NOT MAKE THE MODELS! I got them from all the corners of the internet. The credit goes to:
- Glatorians: ripped from Glatorian Arena (this is non-commercial use, please don't sue me xD)
- Rahi: ripped from Bionicle: the Game (reffer to the above ^^)
- The Matoran Masks and some aspects of the enviroment go to these guys. They said they'll be glad if someone would use their models so I didn't ask them directly, but if they have any objections please do say, and I will remove them if you wish.
Now that we got the description out of the way, I'll get to something else. Basically, I need help with this. The project, as I imagined it, is going to be a medium sized game. Not too big, but not small. I can indeed finish it on my own, but it would take a loooong time. Time by wich I and probably you, would already get fed up with. So since I'm doing everything on my own, I would need a few people to help me out with some things.
I myself, can handle the characters, and have handled the majority on my own. I would need help with these things:
- level design
- Rahi 3D models
- a tiny little bit of code
These 3 I could definitelly use help with. If any of you are interested in this please message me. u.u
Now, I have mentioned budget (or rather lack of one) at the beginning of the post. This is a fan-made game. Not even clasified as indie as I'm just one guy who doesn't even have much of a background in the field of game-development. That said, this won't be the prettiest game ever. It won't be the most stunning game ever either. I'll list all the cons here:
- visuals (evident from the screenshots above. Not the prettiest game ever)
- animation - animating 3d is hard. Animating 3d in games is insanely hard. To get around this, I completely discarded all animation. Wait! Don't go yet! What I mean by this is that there will still be characters moving around and stuff BUT they will be doing pretty much just that. The model will simply drag around without any body movements. (For instance characters won't move their hands and feet while walking etc.)
- combat - the combat will be left-click attack, right click block with additional items you can use. Nothing original and with a lack of animation, nothing eye-attractive either
So there you have it. Those are the 3 biggest downsides of the game, but, IF pulled out the way I intend to, it will make up for it with a big number of things to do.
So, is anyone interested in anything about this game? Regardless of wether you want to play it or help me work on it, or neither of that, everyone's comments are highly appreciated. I repeat, if anyone is interested in helping with this please let me know.
Spherus Magna: White Quartz Mountains Demo
Alright everyone, at long last here it is! The first demo that gives you a peek at how the game will look like.Taking on the role of a mysterious traveler, you will explore a small area of White Quartz Mountains and face off against its Rahi and a band of mercenaries called the Ice Bandits!
The demo features 3 locations:
- New Atero (Gate, Avenue, Mata-Nui Temple)
- New Atero Outskirts (Waterfall)
- White Quartz Mountains (Snowy planes, Cave, IcePeak)
Part of those atleast.
- various Matoran
- various Agori
- Ice Bandits (difficulty: Easy, creep level)
- Iron Wolves (difficulty: Easy-Medium, cool level)
- Ice Bats (difficulty: Annoying, don't fight just ignore and run level)
- Ice Bandit Boss (difficulty: Medium-Hard, Boss level)
The demo is short but serves its purpose and will show you the direction the game has taken. Now a few things are worth noting. Main one is the Battle System. It's a unique system that works despite the already mentioned lack of animations on the characters. I'm gonna explain it here as the game will offer no such help.
The combat works in a bit weird but non the less original manner. It revolves about a concept of "Ranges". Basically, every enemy has an "Enemy Range", a distance from which it can deal damage to the player.
Likewise, the player has a "Player Range" from which it can deal damage to the enemy. The key thing in the combat is to position yourself in just the right spot in which you're out of "Enemy Range", but the enemy is within your "Player Range". This way you can attack the enemy without suffering any damage.
The catch is both you and your enemies are on a constant move. Your enemies will be chasing you and you'll have to run from them, retreat, jump and attack just at the right time. The system will allow flexible movements so the player will be able to move in all directions at various speeds and will be able to jump over certain enemies.
All enemies have different movement speeds and ranges so some will be able to attack the player from long distances and the player will need to use ranged weapons, some will have a small range but will be a lot faster than the player, etc.
When the player and enemy begin to fight a "Combat Initiated" box will appear. The disappearance of the box will mean that the fight has ended either through enemy dying or the player succesfully running away.
The other thing is how to start the game. The game is still in its early phases and as such isn't optimised for every display. For now it would be the best to run the game in 1024x720 resolution with Windowed box checked (you shouldn't play full-screen). The reason for this is that the GUI doesn't work correctly on other resolutions so for the time being just play like that. This is how your settings should look:
A couple of other things:
- you move with (W-A-S-D + shift for running and Space to Jump)
- you attack with Left Click and will deal damage only when enemy is in range
- you talk to characters by coming close to them, no other action is necessarry
- the huge blue/gray/red walls in the scenes are colliders preventing the player from going where he shouldn't go. Blue ones are standard colliders, gray ones indicate that there is an area that isn't in the demo but will be available in the later phases of the game while the red walls are an indication that you have to kill an important enemy in order to pass through them
Link to the Demo: https://mega.nz/#!S4...8vxcY6pGarhYC_k
Download the Rar file and extract it. Start the game by clicking on the "MountainsDemo.exe" (a cube looking icon).
- Iron Wolf and Ice Bat models were made by an awesome BZP member Aho. Be sure to thank him for his hard work.
- Ice Bandit, Matoran, Agori and weapon models were ripped from various places already mentioned in the OP
- Songs belong to the Bionicle movies
- SFX is downloaded for free all over the internet xD
Edited by ChaosMarin, May 02 2016 - 05:13 AM.