Spherus Magna: The Game

ChaosMarin

Ah, good times... figuring out which three lines of code are making the game run at 12 FPS... gaaaaaah.  Hope it goes as painlessly as possible.  I'm interested to see how the combat turns out though.

Well, I just figured out the main issue and hopefully I won't run into further problems. 

I was planning to explain the combat upon release of the demo, but I don't mind explaining it right now. It's gonna be... different.

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

OPEN WORLD 3D GAME SET ON SPHERUS MAGNA AFTER THE END OF G1

You wanted screenshots - you got them. Pics of the main enemies you'll fight in the demo. 

GNqEo3J.png

Ice Bat

WGZrvkc.png

Ice Bandit (original enemy)

d9ywvLM.png

Iron Wolf

and more...

Tell me what you think. How does it look? Credits to Aho for the Ice Bat and Iron Wolf. I built the Ice Bandit from existing parts.

Oh, and btw, I made a Facebook page for the project so be sure to like cuz the news are a lot easier to follow there.

https://www.facebook.com/Spherus-Magna-The-Game-1009713755778724/?skip_nax_wizard=true

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

Ok guys the demo is finished. Now I just gotta wait until its done building itself which may take quite some time.

If it takes more than a day I'm gonna release another thing before it, the Deathmatch Demo! Basically a record arena game to introduce you to the battle system.

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

Hang on... It's taking a DAY to build? O_O How big is it? My Unity projects take about three minutes to build, and I'm running it on a potato! [ :P]

Correction, it WAS gonna take a day to build, but I got rid of the stuff that was slowing it down so now it finished building very quickly. I'm about to upload it now (without the Deathmatch unless people insist). xD 

It won't be very long. Just a short demo which you could complete pretty fast. Matter of fact, it doesn't even have a save option as it's really short. xD

Spherus Magna: White Quartz Mountains Demo

Alright everyone, at long last here it is! The first demo that gives you a peek at how the game will look like.Taking on the role of a mysterious traveler, you will explore a small area of White Quartz Mountains and face off against its Rahi and a band of mercenaries called the Ice Bandits!

The demo features 3 locations:

- New Atero (Gate, Avenue, Mata-Nui Temple)

- New Atero Outskirts (Waterfall)

- White Quartz Mountains (Snowy planes, Cave, IcePeak)

Part of those atleast.

Featured characters:

- Ackar

- Kiina

- Surel

- various Matoran

- various Agori

Featured enemies:

- Ice Bandits (difficulty: Easy, creep level)

- Iron Wolves (difficulty: Easy-Medium, cool level)

- Ice Bats (difficulty: Annoying, don't fight just ignore and run level)

- Ice Bandit Boss (difficulty: Medium-Hard, Boss level)

wFLEL5C.jpg?1

The demo is short but serves its purpose and will show you the direction the game has taken. Now a few things are worth noting. Main one is the Battle System. It's a unique system that works despite the already mentioned lack of animations on the characters. I'm gonna explain it here as the game will offer no such help.

The combat works in a bit weird but non the less original manner. It revolves about a concept of "Ranges". Basically, every enemy has an "Enemy Range", a distance from which it can deal damage to the player.

Likewise, the player has a "Player Range" from which it can deal damage to the enemy. The key thing in the combat is to position yourself in just the right spot in which you're out of "Enemy Range", but the enemy is within your "Player Range". This way you can attack the enemy without suffering any damage.

The catch is both you and your enemies are on a constant move. Your enemies will be chasing you and you'll have to run from them, retreat, jump and attack just at the right time. The system will allow flexible movements so the player will be able to move in all directions at various speeds and will be able to jump over certain enemies.

All enemies have different movement speeds and ranges so some will be able to attack the player from long distances and the player will need to use ranged weapons, some will have a small range but will be a lot faster than the player, etc. 

When the player and enemy begin to fight a "Combat Initiated" box will appear. The disappearance of the box will mean that the fight has ended either through enemy dying or the player succesfully running away. 

H0xmz0q.jpg?1

The other thing is how to start the game. The game is still in its early phases and as such isn't optimised for every display. For now it would be the best to run the game in 1024x720 resolution with Windowed box checked (you shouldn't play full-screen). The reason for this is that the GUI doesn't work correctly on other resolutions so for the time being just play like that. This is how your settings should look:  

76nVLPB.jpg

A couple of other things:

- you move with (W-A-S-D + shift for running and Space to Jump)

- you attack with Left Click and will deal damage only when enemy is in range

- you talk to characters by coming close to them, no other action is necessarry

- the huge blue/gray/red walls in the scenes are colliders preventing the player from going where he shouldn't go. Blue ones are standard colliders, gray ones indicate that there is an area that isn't in the demo but will be available in the later phases of the game while the red walls are an indication that you have to kill an important enemy in order to pass through them

Link to the Demo: https://mega.nz/#!S4IU3a6T!cR_SC6iHD4vMKN7KbdQV0NzVN8a88vxcY6pGarhYC_k

Download the Rar file and extract it. Start the game by clicking on the "MountainsDemo.exe" (a cube looking icon).

Credits:

- Iron Wolf and Ice Bat models were made by an awesome BZP member Aho. Be sure to thank him for his hard work.

- Ice Bandit, Matoran, Agori and weapon models were ripped from various places already mentioned in the OP

- Songs belong to the Bionicle movies

- SFX is downloaded for free all over the internet xD

Edited by ChaosMarin
  • Upvote 1

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

I'm really liking the demo! Here's some C+C fer ya.

CONS:

Too long walks. The valleys we walk through aren't interesting enough to warrant a minute of walking time IMHO.

The combat system is... interesting. The mouse controls both the camera and the combat, resulting in some interesting battles.

The controls, while intuitive, are not explained in-game.

Besides those, it's great for a demo! Bang-up job!

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

This looks fantastic so far. Any chance for a Mac build? [ :P] It's super easy to switch platforms (and back again) on Unity.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac and have never made anything with Mac in mind so idk how that'd go. My only chance would be to use a Virtual Machine with MacOS on it but idk if my PC could handle it. 

Same question as above :) Unfortunately, all I have is a Mac :)

Well that's a shame. I'll have to check some things out, but idk how that'd turn out. Do you have any way to play it without Mac?

I'm really liking the demo! Here's some C+C fer ya.

CONS:

Too long walks. The valleys we walk through aren't interesting enough to warrant a minute of walking time IMHO.

The combat system is... interesting. The mouse controls both the camera and the combat, resulting in some interesting battles.

The controls, while intuitive, are not explained in-game.

Besides those, it's great for a demo! Bang-up job!

Appreciate the input. The long walks I completely agree with. I did make them that big tho in order to leave some space for the later development as I plan on adding a bunch of hidden things to the scenes so that the player will want to take a peek at every corner. 

To be fair, I was gonna put a combat explanation but since the only ones who know about the game are people here I thought it wasn't necessary as I can explain a lot better here. Glad you liked the demo. 

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

Oh, you don't need to play it to build it. I build applications for PC, Linux, and even Android, all from my Mac. I can't play those builds on the Mac, of course, but they still work perfectly when I send them over to their respective devices. [ ;)]

Well, I'll try. 

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

The application wasn't openable when I decompressed it. I'm not sure if that's a fault my side (My computer's known to be really prissy when it comes to zipped applications), or if it's because you need to put the .app in a folder, and then zip the folder. We'd best wait until Aho can download it before we can assume it's a problem with my comp.

cLT23Pz.png

The application wasn't openable when I decompressed it. I'm not sure if that's a fault my side (My computer's known to be really prissy when it comes to zipped applications), or if it's because you need to put the .app in a folder, and then zip the folder. We'd best wait until Aho can download it before we can assume it's a problem with my comp.

Mind telling me what you do? Do you add any plugins for Mac development or do you just hit build after choosing Mac in the settings?

Try this: https://mega.nz/#!SgIDjLLL!vqL-fACEEzVUOd2RxBbc7tuMdEqHvduXrv-ev_LRfn8

Edited by ChaosMarin
  • Upvote 1

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

Yay, that worked! And wow, the demo is great! [:D] It really brought me back to playing MN3D when I first started game development.

Now, I know a lot of people will give criticism, and I also know that it can be quite draining for a dev to have nothing but negative feedback, however well meaning. So I'm going to ignore the bugs/tweaks, and instead focus on what I enjoyed:

The SFX. They were simple, yet very effective. I really felt like there was a strong wind blowing against me as I walked across the snowdrifts.

The enemies. I actually ran away from Surel and his Iron Wolves, as they were so scary. [:P] I especially liked the glamorgan fight, with the music and all.

The background. The mountains rising up all around really made the world feel huge and expansive, and I love the slight DOF effect that blurs them.

The openness. I enjoyed just walking around and taking in the views. Ican imagine that secrets/collectibles dotted around the scenes would double the fun.

Overall, an excellent demo, especially if this is your first time making a game! [:D] I really look forward to playing the full version! [;)]

• Upvote 1

cLT23Pz.png

Yay, that worked! And wow, the demo is great! [ :D] It really brought me back to playing MN3D when I first started game development.

Now, I know a lot of people will give criticism, and I also know that it can be quite draining for a dev to have nothing but negative feedback, however well meaning. So I'm going to ignore the bugs/tweaks, and instead focus on what I enjoyed:

The SFX. They were simple, yet very effective. I really felt like there was a strong wind blowing against me as I walked across the snowdrifts.

The enemies. I actually ran away from Surel and his Iron Wolves, as they were so scary. [:P] I especially liked the glamorgan fight, with the music and all.

The background. The mountains rising up all around really made the world feel huge and expansive, and I love the slight DOF effect that blurs them.

The openness. I enjoyed just walking around and taking in the views. Ican imagine that secrets/collectibles dotted around the scenes would double the fun.

Overall, an excellent demo, especially if this is your first time making a game! [:D] I really look forward to playing the full version! [;)]

Phew! Am glad it works. Guess Mac version is official now. 

And don't worry. I accept any input so long as its actually meaningful and not of malicious intent. I know the bugs and short comings better than anyone but even so I may have missed some things that other people may see clearly from their perspective which is why I openly encourage all comments.

Also, lol at you running from Surel. xD He's not aggresive. Glad you enjoyed the demo.

• Upvote 1

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

What program do I open it on?

You need to extract the Spherus Magna folder (MacDemo if ur on Mac). You do this with WinRar, WinZip or any other program of the sort.

After u extract it just open the game folder and click the exe file.

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

What program do I open it on?

You need to extract the Spherus Magna folder (MacDemo if ur on Mac). You do this with WinRar, WinZip or any other program of the sort.

After u extract it just open the game folder and click the exe file.

That helped, thanks.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 3 weeks later...

An isolated villaige in the dark outskirts. Second demo is in development and will take place in the wastelands of Spherus Magna. 

1mY1WJm.jpg

Confirmed enemies:

- Vorox

- Skrall

- Bone Hunters

The demo will also introduce a primitive inventory system as well as long range weapons. :)

Edited by ChaosMarin

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: 2 areas of the demo are already complete with 3-5 more left. 

Additional confirmed characters are:

- Ahkmou

- Pohatu Nuva

- Strakk

- Malum

Another feature that I plan to introduce in the demo: 

- Block mechanic

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

i8XUIY0.png

Some Malum fun. :3

That's a really cool looking model  B-). Sounds like lots of fun, can't wait to see what comes next.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 3 weeks later...

How have I not seen this before? This looks epic.

I'm beginning to think people don't like the idea. :v

VOROX DEATHMATCH

- the version -

dXx07r7.jpg?1

Welp, it's been a while and, no, I'm still not done with the Wastelands demo BUT I found an old build I forgot I had and thought I'd share it with you. It's just a dumb deathmatch which pits you against a lot of Vorox at once and you have to click yourself out of the nasty situation or... get stuck in an infinite loop because I didn't bother to put any death menus.

Basically, it's just a showcase of Vorox and nothing else. It is challenging though. Rules:

- Vorox take 3/4 hits to kill you, it takes a lot more to kill them

- If you fall from the terrain you lose

- If you get killed you lose (duh)

- You use the same system as in the previous demo

Tips: 

If you fall off terrain or get killed the game will freeze so just ALT+F4 it or close it with X cuz at the time this was built I didn't add any menus. 

Here's the link for download (PC only): link

• Upvote 1

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The concept of this game is amazing and your characters & level design are very creative, although adding attacking and blocking animations would make the combat a little easier for the player. Also if you need any rough sketches, graphic design, level design, character design, etc. I would be more than happy to help! :D

Edited by awesometoa
  • Upvote 1

Glad to hear this project is still happening! I'm still disappointed that the MNOG-3D project fell through about 2 years ago. I was a part of that team, and I really feel as if it had a lot of potential. Hopefully you keep on with this one! Are you planning on incorporating a story into it at some point?

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Is this project still live?

Yup. Just paused for a bit due to exams and other duties. Am also reconsidering some crucial elements of the original conception but yes, it's still alive.

Hmm, yeah, I'm really tempted to volunteer, but I'd hate to be part of something to only watch it crash and burn again like MNOG3D.

In case you're wondering, I was one of the asset modellers for that project and the first one to join up (I believe).

I can do almost anything in 3D, especially now that I'm also doing a bit of sculpting. I can also animate. But I need to know what level of dedication this project has.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE