Comics Contest #3: Crossover

Zatth

crossoverforumbanner.png

The story so far:
In the beginning there were both sprite and hand-drawn comics. This made a lot of people angry and there were arguments about which was better. Luckily, it appears the dust has settled enough that y’all recognize both styles are pretty cool, so we want to see what you can do with both styles!

Yes, that is indubitably what we are asking you to do! (If that was the question you were asking yourself, if not sorry, I have no response for whatever question it was.) We want you to create a comic featuring both sprite and hand-drawn elements to make one amazing Kaita comic! Pow! Wham! Kablam
————————————————————————
You have from Feb. 1st at 12:00 am to Feb. 22th at 11:59 PM (Eastern) to submit your entry!

Rules (& Knuckles):

• Please try and have a balance of sprite and hand-drawn styles. If you have any questions we’ll look your entry over, but we believe it will be an easy medium to hit
  • Your comic can be mostly a Photo/MOC comic, so long as it includes some hand drawn and sprite elements in the comic.
  • One entry per member
  • Don’t flame, don’t cheat.
  • Follow all BZP Rules & Guidelines
  • When entering, please post

Member name:

Entry Image (linked or embedded):
Entry topic (if applicable):

Voting period:
You will vote from Feb 21st to Feb 23rd at 11:59 PM (Eastern) for semifinals, and from Feb 24th to Feb 26th at 11:59 PM (Eastern) for finals.

Prizes: TBD

Now go and create! So long and thanks for all the entries! (And if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.)

Zatth
Sumiki

Edited by Zatth
  • Upvote 4

tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o2_500.jpg
tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o1_500.jpg

This should be interesting. I think I've already got an idea in mind. Perhaps if I find the time I'll participate. Good luck to all those who do. 

Quick question though, is the comic simply combining both elements (sprite and hand drawn) or is there some other basis? 

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Jeez, I hope I don't get not voted on for having wimpier drawing software...

Actually you indirectly bring up a really good point. I've seen in the last couple months a lot more people who are doing photo comics as well. I almost feel like photo comics should've been considered a part of the contest as well. Whether it be judged by the effects that are made in the photos or the MOCs. Whether photo comics are considered or not in the contest, that's up to them, but I figured I would at least bring it up while the comic is still newly opened. 

Edit: Now that I think about it, there could be a decision to leaving out Photo Comics from the mix. You could argue that by mixing Photo Comics with Hand Drawn comics, that it would be easier to combine the two since you could simply draw over the photos. It would be even easier with sprites as well. At the same time though, adding Photo Comics would complete the main 3 comic types that encompass the comics Forum, those being Sprite, Hand Drawn and Photo. It definitely is something to think about.

Edit 2: I've also realized that with Photo comics, a lot of MOCs that were already made could be used for it, thus making the work load easier… At the same time one could argue that sprite comics make this even easier. 

Edit 3: What classifies a Sprite Comic vs Hand Drawn? Does the entire sprite comic have to be pixelated, or can it have hand drawn elements? Is hand drawn classified by Hand Drawn characters or simply Hand Drawn elements?

Here's an example of a comic that features both, what would this be classified under? Simply sprite or both?

~Soran

Edited by Soran
  • Upvote 1
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

We want you to create a comic featuring both sprite and hand-drawn elements to make one amazing Kaita comic! Pow! Wham! Kablam

Technically, the Kaita were comprised of three beings, not two.

Speaking of which, thanks for recognizing that Photo/MOC comics do actually exist. :P I know we're not the biggest front in the Comic Making business, but I think we deserve some credit. Would an entry featuring all THREE styles be acceptable? Soran seems to share my wonderings.

Edited by The 1st Shadow
  • Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Speaking of which, thanks for recognizing that Photo/MOC comics do actually exist. :P I know we're not the biggest front in the Comic Making business, but I think we deserve some credit. Would an entry featuring all THREE styles be acceptable? Soran seems to share my wonderings.

Very true! Apologies, we didn't consider this but we have now! The new rule will say that there is no rule against Photo/MOC comics (meaning your comic can be most this), so long as you include some hand drawn and sprite elements. Since the main point of the contest is fusing those two styles, we still would like to see those in your comic!

Question: Would I be allowed to work together with someone to make an entry?

We're gonna say no to this one.

Edited by Zatth

tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o2_500.jpg
tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o1_500.jpg

Very true! Apologies, we didn't consider this but we have now! The new rule will say that there is no rule against Photo/MOC comics (meaning your comic can be most this), so long as you include some hand drawn and sprite elements. Since the main point of the contest is fusing those two styles, we still would like to see those in your comic!

Excellent! :D I already have some ideas, in that case!

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

All of my previous attempts at making a comic on this site have failed, but maybe I can get in on this. I would like to echo evil_jaga_genius's question; what qualifies as a sprite comic? If I were to throw something together on a Paint program but do my best to make it look block-y, would that be okay?

2xu8Ptu.png

So, it has to be a BIONICLE comic, crossover, with something else... I can do sprites, AND hand drawn comics, though, it may be hard given the fact that most of my hand drawn stuff I do on mobile, so I'll see what I can do.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Question: is there a cap on length? i tend to get...

...carried away, when making comics x:

I wouldn't think so, they might have put that as one of their rules. (Which will probably lead to me making a comic the length of a movie :P)

I actually was thinking about adding some hand-drawn elements to my comics, I guess they beat me to it :P

72197956-EB80-4CAF-BB5C-D0D318A40095.jpeg.06500b6004773171b423d2a9714c6833.jpeg

In loving memory of our hero

Would this style work?  Like, done in MS Paint so it's all pixel-y but still drawn out.  (I'm kinda thinking about using a 256-color palette for mine, too.)

http://sulfurbunny.deviantart.com/art/PMD-VF-001-Shadows-and-visions-288225318

There is a really weird ambiguity of style in that example, but for the purposes of this contest, pixel art doesn't necessarily equal sprite art. Your example is pixel art, which leans more towards hand-drawn.

Again, there's a good deal of ambiguity here; if you have any more examples, feel free to ask!

All of my previous attempts at making a comic on this site have failed, but maybe I can get in on this. I would like to echo evil_jaga_genius's question; what qualifies as a sprite comic? If I were to throw something together on a Paint program but do my best to make it look block-y, would that be okay?

If you want to create a small set of sprites to use in your own comic, that's fine; if they look like sprites in the end, that's what we're going for. The sprite style is a subset of pixel art and we're going for the former more than the latter.

As long as your comic can still load fairly quickly. (There's nothing against splitting into multiple pages if a single image would be of excessive length.)

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

As long as your comic can still load fairly quickly. (There's nothing against splitting into multiple pages if a single image would be of excessive length.)
Good, I'm definitely making an epic as well C:< I just hope I can get it done in time.. Edited by Skrade

This sounds cool. I hope my drawing's good enough, and that I have some pixel software-thing.

Edit: Actually, a quick question: Do I have to include characters made from the pixels or can it just be some certain details and background?

Edited by Kanohi Ko-llector

This sounds cool. I hope my drawing's good enough, and that I have some pixel software-thing.

Edit: Actually, a quick question: Do I have to include characters made from the pixels or can it just be some certain details and background?

If the details and background are very clearly based in the world of sprite comics, then yes.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Hi, i'm cutting this unnecessarily  close, pleasure to meet you x:

Great minds think alike =P

Member name: evil_jaga_genius

Entry Topic: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/21759-sonic-the-bohrok-comics-contest-3/?do=findComment&comment=1049043

Entry Images: Page 1 and Page 2

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I agree with the hundred thirty first on this, either people are cutting this unnecessarily close, or all the contestants entered thusfar will win by default.

I'm fine with the second, but there's really no honour in winning by default. (not that I would win through any other course of action)

Unfortunately I did leave it too late so I will not be entering in this competition. Also, I don't have any good software that would do the sprite part of my comic.

'BIONICLE: Masters of Spinjitzu' will have to wait for another day.

Thumbs up to all those who did make it on time.

• Upvote 1

Howdy,

Um...

I'm just giving this as a reminder that there's only a few more days left to get your entries in. It seems like three contestants is too small a number to have a contest in.

I agree with the hundred thirty first on this, either people are cutting this unnecessarily close, or all the contestants entered thusfar will win by default.

I'm fine with the second, but there's really no honour in winning by default. (not that I would win through any other course of action)

I'll be honest that there was a good chance I wouldn't have been able to participate in the contest either. For me the prospect is simple; this is a busy time of the month.

I wish this contest was held during the summer like last contest (Onomatopoetic Justice), as comics take much more time to make than say, a Moc (debatable) or a drawing or a story. Being held in February wasn't exactly the best time to hold a contest since there are few breaks during the month and for those who have work or school (or even both), it's a difficult time to get things done. 

There's also the fact that the topic of the contest is something that either turns a person on or off to it. Like someone had said earlier, they wish they could've participated but they don't have a program to actually work with sprites on. Some people simply don't know how to work with sprites while others simply don't want to. In a way it alienated several different art styles for comics by employing that you use two specific kinds. Of course, it never truly affected me (I do both drawing and sprites all the time) but I can see why this could be a contributing cause to the lack of entrees.

There's also the fact that the prize is simply TBD (which I assume means, "To be determined") which contrasts with last contest where it was clear what the prize was, it was a limited edition mini figure that many people could want. Even those who weren't traditionally artists tried to get an entry in in hopes that they could win the prize. Without a clear prize, there's less incentive. It'd be like going to Chuck E. Cheese and having someone tell you that if you get 1,000 tickets they'll give you a prize. What's the prize? Who knows, but is it worth getting those 1,000 tickets for something random or a mystery? For some people it is but for others it is simple not worth the time.

I'm still satisfied that I got to participate in the contest but I can see why others might've missed out on it,

~Soran

• Upvote 2

Sorry for my lateness. New work schedules changed up my weekend plans and set me back a bit more than expected. But here's my entry! Oh, and since I didn't see a list of kits allowed in the rules, I decided to put my Okotomation sprites to good use. :sly:

Entry name: Lazy Dreaming

Entry link: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/3rdPerson872/BZPComics/Specials/sp15.png

Link to Topic

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~