Comics & Kits Rules And Guidelines

-Windrider-

Welcome to the Comics Forum!

Whatever media they may be, this is the place for all LEGO-related comics and the kits that make them. That's right, this forum is now home to all kits topics as well!

-- This topic's tag will always reflect the date of the latest update. Information on what was updated will always be found in the "Recent Updates" section at the bottom of the post. --

The Comics (& Kits) Forum Rules and Guidelines:

General Rules:

All BZPower rules do apply. If you have questions about any of BZPower's rules and guidelines, feel free to PM me!

Use the report button! If you see any post violating the above or any rules in this topic, please use the report button, located at the bottom of a post, to make the moderators aware of it.

Regarding revival: Like in the Library forums, there is no revival limit in this forum. This applies to both artists and reviewers, as well as to both comics and kits topics. Enjoy!

Rules for Artists:

Post your own work only. This means you cannot post something you happened to find on Brickshelf! Project planning is allowed for both comics and kits as long as you have some work to show.

Double posting is allowed for topic starters; reviewers should not post double comments.

Regarding guest stars for comics: You get to decide how you want to receive GS requests. Please make it clear in your first post whether you want to receive requests through posts in the topic or through PMs!

Rules for Posters/Reviewers:

Please try to offer constructive posts. This is just a courtesy to the author and not necessarily a rule. However, I will be looking at all reviews posted and moderating on a post-by-post basis. Things I will be looking out for are exceptionally short posts (e.g., "Wow!") or a fixed comment posted in multiple topics.

Please do not hijack topics. This is common courtesy. Do not use a topic dedicated to another member's work to advertise your own.

Regarding guest starring in comics: Please follow the author's directions when applying to GS. They should have it listed in the first post whether to post your application or to PM it. If nothing is listed, assume that either method is fine.

--

Comics Contest History:

Comics Contest #1: Get a Clue! || Results!
Comics Contest #2: Onomatopoetic Justice || Results!
Comics Contest #3: Crossover! || Results!

--

This topic will be left open so that you may ask any questions you have regarding these policies. This topic may also be used for any suggestions you have. Otherwise, you are always free to PM me about anything in this topic or about this forum in general.

On behalf of all of the BZPower staff, we hope you enjoy this forum!

Sincerely,

-Windrider-

Comics Forum Leader

--

Recent Updates:

03/10/2016: Condensed and streamlined rules further.
10/13/2015: Added a contest history to this post.
07/24/2014: Updated allowed embedded image file size (750 kB).

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For the most part, yes, but it could be closed if necessary, like if there was excessive spam or flaming. As long as there aren't any consistent problems, though, it can stay open forever.However, it is appreciated if comic makers have their unneeded topics closed to keep them from being dragged back to the top of the forum and pushing more active topics down. That's up to the individual comic makers, though.Edit- elaborated a bit

Edited by Ziko

It can be closed if necessary, like if there was excessive spam or flaming, but otherwise it can stay open forever.It is appreciated if comic makers have their unneeded topics closed, though, to keep them from being dragged back to the top of the forum.

I understand completely!

Nope. None at all. The only way you would have your series closed is if you broke the rules.

WOW! That's cool! I'll be careful.

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 months later...

Just a reminder and an offer: spoiler tags should be used for storyline-related spoilers only, be it information about upcoming developments in LEGO storylines (Hero Factory, Ninjago) or your own series' canon. This is a global guideline on BZPower.Therefore, you cannot use the spoiler tags for organizational purposes: for hiding long lists, images, etc. in your posts (usually your starting post in your topic). Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to help when it comes to the organization of topics that have already been started. However, if you are planning a new series, and think that you will need additional space beyond the first post in your topic, PM me before you post, as I can help you set up an additional post (or more) so that you don't have to wait for the auto-merge timer.Also, I want you all to know that I am always open to any suggestions you may have for the Comics forum. If you have one, please PM me.

• 5 months later...

I have a question.Is the word blood allowed to be mentioned or not?Because I'm working on a Halloween special comic and it might involve that old folk tale Bloody Mary.

2020 STATUS UPDATE:

If you've come across any of my topics such, as my comic series which are now lost, I just want to say is I have since DISOWNED them as of 2020. Looking back at them I'm no longer proud of what I've made here on BZPower.

Considering it is absolutely allowed to have brief amounts of blood in your comics themselves, using the word blood is completely fine. When it comes to the amount of blood you include within the actual comic panels, then you need to be a bit more considerate. However, using the word "blood" is not considered offensive or gruesome at all.-RezEDIT: Just make sure to follow this rule:

]Do not post inappropriate content. BZPower prides itself on being kid-friendly. You are not to post -anything- inappropriate, including foul language, (excessive violence), and sexual content.
As you can see, as long as there is no excessive violence and no excessive blood and gore, you are totally allowed to add a bit of violence/blood. Edited by Reznas

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm planning a CYOA (choose your own adventure) series, but it's an extreme horror type. It's probably enough to keep someone up at night. I'm going to keep the violence to a minimum, but am I allowed to release the series? Should I include warnings?

mindeth the cobwebs

So, I'm planning a CYOA (choose your own adventure) series, but it's an extreme horror type. It's probably enough to keep someone up at night. I'm going to keep the violence to a minimum, but am I allowed to release the series? Should I include warnings?
To be honest, I don't think it would BZP-appropriate to make an "extreme" horror series, especially if it will genuinely scare people. You may want to consider making it fairly wholesome, as, otherwise, you may not be able to post such a series here.-Rez

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not a modmin, Rahkshi Lalonde, but I can say that, based upon the rules, this is perfectly allowable in a link, and mostly allowable as a picture; just make sure that the total file size of the image is less than the 500KiB maximum.

(I am here because I have my own queries which I'm looking for pre-existing answers for (there are none), but their new expression is more suited to a PM, so I won't put them here.)

Edited by Tapika

tumblr_mrji0oZwlq1sqiy2ho1_400.png

• 4 months later...

So I've been thinking about Comics for the past month or so, especially about these rules. I've already sent a message to the other active staff of this forum, but I want to include you all as well.

We can do this two ways:

1. We can keep discussion in this topic, or
  2. I can create a sort of "PM forum."

The PM would be limited to ten other people, though, which might be a problem. In any case -

Please state if you want to be involved in helping the Comics forum by posting in this topic (or PMing me). We'll go from there. Thanks~

Edit: I'm looking to address the problem of the lack of new authors in this forum as well. These rules might be related to that issue - I'm not sure, but please let me know if you are interested in discussing it as well.

Edited by -Windrider-

• 2 weeks later...

Bam. Major revision complete. Thank you to all who participated!

Things changed:

• Truncated some wordy sections.
  • Condensed the General Rules section.
  • Took out the "complete work" requirement out of the Rules for Authors. Project planning is allowed provided you have some work to show!
  • Reworded some rules from a negative statement to a positive one (e.g. "Do not double post" to "Double posting is allowed if...")
  • Completely changed the way guest star requests work and gave power to the authors to decide how to handle them.
  • Clarified stance on member-run contests.
  • Reworked the guidelines for reviews to state that most "generic comments" aren't so bad after all.

We're now on to discussing how to help this forum's activity. There's still room if anyone else is interested!

Edited by -Windrider-

I wish I had been told about this earlier. This place did end up playing in a big part of my childhood, and I'd love to be a part of something like this, even if I'm not superactive anymore.

(I am half tempted to bring up my CYOA review topic proposal again, but I think that was talked to death quite a while ago)

Edited by Kahi

• 2 weeks later...

As per this announcement, Comics will now be the home to all kit topics. Because of this, there will also be a few changes to the existing kits rules:

1. Kit artists no longer need to seek approval in order for their topics to be exempt from revival. Kits will have no revival limit like all other topics in this forum.
  2. Similarly, kit artists will no longer need approval in order to double post in their kit topics. Double (and triple, quadruple, etc.) posting is allowed provided you have an update to show.
  3. Project planning for kit topics will be allowed. Like with comic planning topics, however, please have some work to show before posting.

I'll update the rules tomorrow, most likely. Here's to hoping this merger will increase synergy between comic authors and kit artists and activity in general!

• 1 year later...

queeeeestion about the rules, and i may sound dumb for this:

iiiif i recall, on old bzp anyway, there was a rule about input-driven comics? (something about them resembling a game too much and that being a separate forum? i have bad memory.)

but, it seems now there are input driven comics, and they're getting along fine, so if that rule ever existed, it's gone now. right? :0

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

queeeeestion about the rules, and i may sound dumb for this:

iiiif i recall, on old bzp anyway, there was a rule about input-driven comics? (something about them resembling a game too much and that being a separate forum? i have bad memory.)

but, it seems now there are input driven comics, and they're getting along fine, so if that rule ever existed, it's gone now. right? :0

I don't even know if it was a rule, but yeah, if it was, it's gone for good.

• 7 months later...

I may be posting in the wrong topic, but is there a topic where you can submit ideas you have and receive feedback and criticisms in a similar way to the BZPRPG forums with their "official BZPRPG planning topic?"

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Generally planning topics aren't allowed, but if you go ahead and send the forum leader (-Windrider-) a PM about it, she might let it slide. :P If not, you can always create, say, one comic to post and get feedback on. All you need is some sort of valid content (comics, kits, etc.) in order to justify a topic.

-Rez

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, planning topics are a tricky sort of thing. They work in the RPG forums because of the level of complexity of the games, and while you can get feedback as you go along, the success of the game rides mostly on the initial structure, which is more rigid than that of, say, a comic series.

So I don't think it's really needed here. But that is only my opinion; I'm open to discussion on the matter.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

So, I used to make comics on here, I did it for about a year and then stopped (don't remember why) but during that time I came up with the name 'Tahukan' I didn't think I'd use it for anything else so I plastered it everywhere over the topic. I'm rapidly growing on YouTube right now however and if someone gets the hankering to stalk me I don't really want that specific page to be found so I'd like to know if the topic could be reopened so that I can remove my name and fix the grammar to be not as broken or if the topic could be deleted as a whole. I don't really care which one I just need to get it down sooner rather than later. Thanks.

Edit: Phrasing

Topic

Edited by Tahukan

:voyanui: