Star Wars: Interregnum

sunflower

IC: From her position in the Skyhopper, It was almost impossible to see outside the cockpit window. Fortunately for R9, the ship's computer was able to compensate. Flying the stolen skyhopper was easy enough. It wasn't exactly a long flight to reach the docking bay either, barely took more than a few minutes. 

The astromech's sensors were detecting the appearance of a ray shield. Blaster fire wouldn't be able to get in or out, although a few clever tricks would be able to take care of the problem. One thing about ray shields: they were usually powered by a source on the inside. That meant all R9 needed to do do escape was to locate the source of the shield and fire on it. Fortunately, for her, targets were limited. It wouldn't be possible to reliably aim for the troopers with the skyhopper's pneumatic canons; that would also involve the risk of hitting Kyra. However, she probably had sufficient firepower to divert and possibly disorient some of the troopers. Step one was assisting Kyra, then taking out the shield.

R9 carefully aimed for a small container only a few metres away from Odiina, and fired.

OOC: As an astromech droid with rebel connections, I would consider it fair to assume that R9 knows a few things about ray shields.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC Odiina, Dock authority NPCs:

Odiina, to her credit, flinched, but didn't loosen her grasp, or her application of stun. Whether it was having any effect, she couldn't say, however. Small bits of shrapnel flicked off of her armor.

The other troopers were immediately drawn by the cannon fire, and the port authority workers were quick to apply a tractor beam to the offending vehicle, and a turret tracked it's movements.

IC (Vanndred, Jenth's Workshop):

"I only mind if you can't put it together again." The chistori retracted the vibroblade and handed the wrist console over.

"I had an outlaw tech wire in remote controls for some droid brains in my ship and my bike. Both of those are long gone, so don't worry about them."

IC: Jenth

The diminutive mechanic accepted the armored gauntlet with two hands, and almost immediately slid it over her own arm to hold it up as she examined the screen. It was, unsurprisingly, a rather loose fit for her.

"I wouldn't worry about that, I put stuff together better than I take it apart. Uh, most of the time," Jenth paused for a moment, before glancing up at the bounty hunter with a nearly mortified expression. "That was a joke, don't worry."

She nonetheless subconsciously took a step towards the safety of her workbench.

"Oh yeah, feel free to stick around and hover, I know some of you free lance types get kinda protective about your gear. Or swing by in a few hours, should be up and running by then."

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC (Vanndred):

Nodding, Vanndred ran it over in his head. A few hours could cover a trip to the nearest Imperial Office of Criminal Investigations to renew his IPKC, maybe even pick up a capture permit, if he could afford it. He focused back on the (comparatively) diminutive mechanic.

"I trust you won't break it any more than it already is. I need to run some errands anyway."

The times, they are a-changing...

IC (Nokon Raine, Roka Zale): Roka stiffened as he felt a dark chill was over him. Something was wrong. He had felt things like this before, almost always before something bad happened, but this was bigger, something very very bad was going down. He glanced around the bar, grateful for his obscured position in the shadowy corner. His gaze was drawn to the hulking dark figure at the bar, Zale guessed whatever his senses were twlling him, it had something to do with that man. Zale got out of his chair slowly, aiming to slip out of the bat before he attracted any attention...

Raine meanwhile, was distracted. As he had pulled his senses back, he'd caught just a hint of something, some kind of reaction... At least three different ones. Even for him, that didn't usually happen during a passive scan. At least three people in this bar had felt his presence, and reacted to it. He didn't know who, and didn't dare reach out again. Best to let them think he hadn't sensed anything; at least until someone more talented could check. Someone like...

Nokon looked down at his near-empty drink, considering his options. He wasn't very good at this, but it was worth a shot... He tipped back the glass and downed the last of his drink, deliberately inhaling part of it and sending himself into a loud coughing fit. He stood up from the bar and rested a hand on Liare's shoulder; "Sorry!" He coughed out, shaking his head. "Be right back!" With that, Nokon turned and headed for the door, hoping the physical distraction would be enough to disguise his attempt at sending a message to Liare via Force Suggestion: Check for Force-Sensitives.

Zale froze as he saw the big guy moving, that wasn't in the plan! He panicked and sat down at the nearest free seat, disturbing his new drinking buddy. "Sorry, sorry!" He whispered, eyes still on the big guy as he walked out the door. "Must've lost my balance and--Wait, Isariah?!" He said as he recognized the person whos drinking he disturbed. An old smuggling contact, the two had traded cargo half a dozen times in the past and been on relay runs a dozen more. "What the frack are you doing on Taris?!" He asked, his troubles momentarily forgotten.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

IC (Tallik Vao, Lower City)

As Layna was hauled out of sight, Tallik slowly returned his blaster pistol to its holster. He had been holding it at his hip since the bounty hunter drew hers, his finger instinctively testing the familiar pressure of the trigger, ready to squeeze at a moment's notice.

"'Worked up'?" he replied. "Anger I can understand, but I didn't think murderous rage was one of the standard stages of grief."

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC: (Nadia Rinlo, Taris Lower City)

"There was a lot of secrecy surrounding her death," Nadia explained. "The official reports said that she was shot and killed by a fugitive, only there is..." 

The Twi'lek paused, figuring it best not to state her exact source of information yet.

"There are rumors that Mia was actually killed by the Inquisitors. Nobody's got any answers and Layna's trying to make sense of everything. Only earlier today she was talking about her desire to kill the person responsible."

The Twi'lek paused. It wasn't exactly an easy subject for her to be discussing either. "Well, to put it mildly, it hasn't exactly been a great day on Taris for anyone."

IC: (R9, Space Port)

R9's scanners were picking up that the space port had a few precautions she hadn't considered. A tractor beam had apparently caught the skyhopper, and she was also detecting a turret in motion. Both were things she had to deal with before she could do anything for Kyra. That's not to say she couldn't do anything about a tractor beam, only that it would take a few minutes to deal with both defenses.

Fortunately, for R9, the turret was visible on the ship's computer. A few quick equations allowed her to turn the vehicle towards it and fire two blasts from the pneumatic canons.

Kyra struggled to stay calm, or at least as calm as one could when someone was rushing a surge of energy through her body.The awkward position they landed in, with Kyra on top and the stormtrooper's arms wrapped around her back, didn't do much good.It didn't exactly leave her in the greatest position for close quarters combat, either. It wouldn't be impossible, though not exactly ideal. There was really only one area she could reach from here.

Pulling her arms out from under the stormtrooper, Kyra reached toward her helmet. Her hands were trembling, and she wasn't entirely sure how much longer she could remain conscious. With two hands, she quickly placed them under the helmet. She could feel the electricity continuing to surge. It was becomming harder to move. 

If there was one thing she'd learned in the rebel alliance, it was a few things about stormtrooper armor. All she needed to do was to find the release switch. Her position didn't offer the greatest view of under the helmet, so all she could do was feel for something that seemed like a switch. Her finger did appear to be touching something under the stormtrooper's helmet; a notch or something. All she could do was try to move it.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC (Isariah):

Isariah was disturbed from browsing a list of the options available for food when someone rather hurriedly set themselves down in the seat next to her, whispering a quick apology. She was about to wave it off as nothing when some familiarity in the stranger's voice made her look up, taking in a neatly-trimmed beard, a pair of short antennae, and a very surprised expression as she and an old friend recognized each other at the same time, and started babbling excitedly.

"Roka!? I could ask you the same thing, wow! You still wearing those fancy shoes? Haha yeah, there they are, and you never did tell me who made them for you! Anyway," she slowed down a little as the reason she was on Taris and not literally anywhere else cut through the excitement, "I'm here because... ah, you know, it's just a bit of... ah, Sith, Roka, some louse-ridden pirate broke Khorshid. Hyperdrive, back-up hyperdrive, even blew the compression coil in the main engines."

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: Dak remained quiet. She stared at the tray in front of her, with Mynock steak that had been quickly grilled by Viseria. She wasn't exactly the greatest cook, though frozen food prepared at a gang hideout wasn't exactly expected to be high-quality.

The Miraluka sat across the table. She seemed to be more interested in eating then her friend, though both remained quiet. Viseria was quickly shoving a piece of the steak into her mouth when she heard shouting. She stood, approaching the door to the kitchen. A distraught Layna was being dragged through the corridor, her arm being grabbed firm by the Togruta next to her. She was clearly struggling, and not thinking clearly.

"What happened?" Viseria asked.

"She pulled a gun on someone," Tashka said. "She thinks he killed her sister."

"It's alright," Viseria said. "We'll take over."

Tashka reluctantly let go of Layna, who was still fuming.

"You okay?" Viseria asked, as calmly as she could.

"I found him," Layna said. "I found the who killed Mia, and your friend here wouldn't let me kill him!"

"Why don't you come in," Viseria said. "Have you eaten today?"

Layna shook her head. Viseria led her inside and placed another frozen steak into the oven. Layna reluctantly took a seat at the table.

"You said you found him?" Dak asked.

"Yeah. The fugitive they've been hunting..."

"That's impossible," Dak said. "Look at me, remember what I told you. He was gone when we arrived. There was no way he could have shot her."

Layna paused. Her anger quickly turned into remorse, and she started crying uncontrollably.

"You've been through a lot," Viseria said, as calmly as she could, placing a hand on Layna's shoulder. "I know you want answers, but you should probably eat something and get some sleep."

Layna nodded. She wasn't exactly thinking straight at this point. Sleep would probably do her good, or at least as much good as it could do someone who just found out the sister she hadn't seen in years had been murdered.

OOC: Tashka is open to interaction.

IC:

Failing to suspect that there was at least one Force Sensitive in the room, after how Sen had reacted just after Raine's probing of the Force, would take a true skill at ignorance. Despite what he liked to pretend, Liare was not at all ignorant of the Force. He wasn't dense enough not to notice Raine's efforts to implant a suggestion in his mind, either. Which was unfortunate. He had been hoping not to encounter this situation on Taris. 

But now that he had, there were only a few paths forward. And all of them, unfortunately, required confirming his suspicions; for RRaine's benefit, rather than his own. So he took a slow breath, and reached out. Reached out to feel the Force around him, and the connections to it. His control was more refined than Raine's, but it wasn't perfect. Such peaceful applications weren't the ones the Inquisitorius concerned itself with very much. It was a matter of his own practice. He could feel the eddies in the stream, so to speak, the places where connections to the Force were stronger. Not distinctly, but as impressions. Places where it 'flowed' differently from normal. Himself and Raine, of course, but others. One that confirmed his suspicions, and two more besides.

He didn't take the time to identify them, and retreated back into himself rather quickly. He preferred not to venture out, certainly not around the Inquisitorius. He... Felt different. The Light and the Dark were distinct, and on an Inquisitorius vessel, it was too easy to tell that perhaps there wasn't enough of the latter in him. Even here he didn't want to run the risk of making Raine at all suspicious of his intentions. The boss he trusted, and Raine was a decent drinking buddy, but... The boss was who he trusted, and that's about as far as that faith went. Still, he had to address the situation somehow. Under no circumstances would he take part in the Inquisitorius' "recruitment practices".

"Take care, Raine!" He called out after the departing Inquisitor, a look of concern on his face. "I'll keep a handle on things here. You keep asking about our fugitive friend, I'll hold down the bar."

If he goes to the others, I swear...

"Oh, and Raine!" At this, he actually swiveled in his seat to make sure his words followed the bigger man out the door. "About those resources, don't bother. We've still got a job to do, and we wouldn't have anywhere to put them."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: (Tashka, Lower City Streets)

As the Togruta exited the bar, she approached Nadia, who was busy explaining to the two men what happened to Layna. The Twi'lek turned as Tashka approached.

"How's she doing?"

"She was still angry. Viseria said she'd take care of her."

Nadia smiled. "I guess she's feeling better."

"Yeah," Tashka replied. "I'm thinking I should go over to the Stray Tach, see if I can catch a duel on the viewscreen, unless there's any underground matches I could go to."

The Togruta turned to face Talik. In all the commotion with Layna she had evidently forgotten that she had a renowned duelist. "So are you still dueling? I remember I used to see you all the time on the cantina viewscreens. Of course, I never managed to enter myself. The nerfherders in the upper city cantinas didn't want to show a Togruta who could easily take on their human combatants. At the underground matches they said I was too young." 

Edited by Atton Rand

IC (Varis): The shuttle ride to the planet's surface was quiet, partly because the other Inquisitor the shuttle had picked up - a man Varis had never spoken to, and whom she had seen bandaged-up more often than not - did not seem interested in striking up a conversation, and partly because Varis herself was far more interested in admiring the view as they descended.

Before you broke atmo, even a world like Taris could hold some beauty, as a haze that covered much of the upper atmosphere at the moment broke and scattered sunlight, giving the sunlit side of Taris a beautiful, multicolored sheen that would only be visible from space. At the same time, in the sliver of night visible beyond the terminator, lights from the upper reaches of the city - many of them bright red lights placed as navigational aids for aircraft - gave the impression of a world on fire as the sea of lights twinkled and shimmered through the haze.

Varis sat there a while, smiling as she watched the play of light across the atmosphere of Taris, finally tearing her gaze away just before the shuttle began to enter the atmosphere, closing her eyes to preserve the image of Taris as she had seen it, instead of the sad, broken thing that would await her when the shuttle doors opened.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: (Vulkar Base)

Layna had slowly started to calm down. While the food wasn't exactly anything amazing, it seemed to calm her to actually eat something. She was also feeling tired, something she hadn't felt all day.

"You should get some sleep," Viseria said. 

Layna nodded. The last time she'd slept was... on the transport for Taris. 

Layna stood, moving away from the table and stepping out of the kitchen.

Dak sat at the table, staring at her now-empty plate. There was a part of her that envied Layna, if only because she could actually leave the base when she wanted.

Viseria turned toward Dak and sat back down with her. "I guess it's the two of us for now."

"Yeah," Dak muttered.

"We should find something fun to do," Viseria said. "We're all dealing with a lot and a distraction probably wouldn't hurt. I could take you out someplace if you want."

"That would be great," Dak muttered. There were some risks, though it's not like any effort had been for the public to watch out for her. No rewards had been offered. Most likely nobody knew what she looked like under the armor besides the few people she'd served with, and wouldn't recognize her now. 

"Alright," Viseria replied with a smile. "Why don't we go see if there are any swoop races going on?"

IC Odiina, NPC's:

TK-2449 jerked her head to the side, as she heard the soft click and hiss of air pressure equalising.

Her worries would quickly disappear as the sergeant discharged his blaster at Kyra. Set to stun, of course.

As for the turret, despite taking some minor damage, was still perfectly operable, and fired on the sky hopper with an ion blast.

IC: (Kyra, R9, Upper City)

It had worked, at least as best as could be expected. The stormtrooper's attention had momentarily been drawn away. Unfortunately, that was when she was hit by a stun shot from the sergeant. 

R9 quickly fixed herself to the floor as soon as she felt the impact. The blast from the ion canon appeared to have knocked the skyhopper out of the tractor beam. Unfortunately, it had also disabled the craft's systems. The astromech quickly retracted her scomp link, an expressed a few panicked whistles as she felt the craft falling. It seemed to flip over as it fell. She could feel the craft turning in every possible direction, and couldn't see exactly where she was going. From the few glimpses she could get through the cockpit window, the skyhopper appeared to be falling toward one of the platforms in the upper city, probably not far from the space port. The droid couldn't do much to brace herself beyond trying to remain calm.

Then, before she knew it, the skyhopper had crashed. R9 could feel it sliding across the surface, flipping one more time, and finally hitting the ground. 

As the skyhopper grew silent, the astromech droid began to swivel her dome. She couldn't see anything through the front window, it was probably buried under something, or at least covered in dust. The vehicle's power was gone. Her only way out was the back doors, which would have to be opened manually. 

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

At least information was starting to filter in. She was getting the feeling Raia just wanted a romantic cruise for two through the couple's paradise that was the Lower City.

"I know it's been a little while since I had some, baby, but I want something more than a little tip," ordered the Chief Inquisitor playfully. "Give me what you got.

"Based on the astronavigational data we pulled from the droid, the agent never went planetside on any of those worlds, though he spent a considerable amount of time in-system for each," If the officer was phased by Costa's choice of words he didn't show it; though the fact that he was even considered for a position on the bridge of an Inquisitorious warship meant that he knew when to voice an opinion. "Additionally, the Astromech itself was outfitted for work in a vacuum, the kind used for deep-space salvage operations. More curious were the remains of a vacuum-hardened suit in the crashed B-Wing, which Inquisitor Kryik believes points to whatever the agent was searching for in each of those systems was not planetside, but in orbit around the star itself."

"Naturally, on top of what he described as his the will of the Force intuition."

"He also inferred that this indicates that whatever the agent has been following, it is not complete, though the trail must pick up from Taris. Thus the time spent waiting in Suurja, and the subsequent communications from this planet to him."

Costa chewed that over for a second and then opened up a comm channel to the rest of her merry band of miscreants and psychos.

"Good evening, Inquisitors, it's your captain on the line. Hope everyone is enjoying the magic sensations of rust and smog slithering up your nose as much as I am. It makes me feel young again. Here's the deal. Insight has fished a few leads from the wreckage of the target's droid and ship. We have reason to believe that said studly insurrectionist has himself a contact somewhere on this planet. Whether he's another Republic snake in the grass or some smuggler buddy in a Lower City dive, I really don't care. I just want to know if he can get us to our fighter jock or not.

"Now, I hope you're not too attached to your buddy, because we're switching up assignments again. Veyura is going to be leading the majority of you to the general part of town where Rav's transmissions bounced to. I have the data from Insight and the doc is getting it now. Those of you who have found an appreciation for the pub crawls of Taris, you might like this job. Kaz, Raine, you can punch anyone who doesn't give you straight answers, so you'll definitely like this job. I would prefer our troopers stay placed where they are in case the ambush pans out, but backing you up is what they're here for. Use 'em if you need 'em."

The Chief Inquisitor rolled her eyes and steeled herself for the hardest part of the orders.

"As much as a bored little thing like me would love to get some legwork done, I have a feeling about this place. That our target hasn't gone too far. I'm gonna keep exploring this level and looking about. I want..." she trailed off, then rolled her eyes before adding forcefully, "Sarir, I want you with me. Canvassing. If you make a scene or harass me I swear by Sidious' grave I'm going to have you atomized and stream it above my bed. Pay your tabs and meet up within the hour, Inquisitors. Remember - we have all the cards. Costa out."

The Chief Inquisitor cleared her throat and cleanly dove off the back of the speeder bike; Veyura kept on going, keenly aware of her orders.

Never let it be said I don't take care of my people.

She stepped on all the detonators for these maniacs.

-Tyler

Edited by Key and

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC:

"If you need something to stream above your bed, boss, I'd be happy to-"

The remainder of whatever Liare was going to say, perhaps for the better, was lost in the impact and roll when the Zeltron jumped off the speeder. Given the stifled grin, even though she couldn't see him, that was probably intentional. He raised a hand to get the bartender's attention, then set a few more credits on the counter and pointed to Sen on his left. Enough to pay for the man's drinks, and leave a little tip for the Wookie. Why not, he was having a good day. And putting up with Raine's scan was bound to be worth a little compensation.

"See you around, Sen. Try to stay away from my boss, alright? Don't need to babysit two nerds." He clapped the other Force sensitive on the back, then turned and headed for the door.

"Where you at, boss, I'll meet you there."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC (Varis):

The Zabrak Inquisitor had just started to acquaint herself with the... unique scents of Taris when the transmission from the Chief Inquisitor came through. Giving up the attempt to discern why the planet seemed to smell of old socks, she gave the commander her full attention as she divulged new information - and, better, new orders. Admittedly, the shudder that ran through Varis at the mention of a "pub crawl" wasn't exactly one of pleasure, but it was a chance to do something, and one step closer to experiencing Taris in the only way that seemed to allow any real enjoyment; from a distance.

Clicking her com twice to signal that she had heard, Varis spoke softly.

"Inquisitor Kalaf, en route to rendezvous point. There appears to be a disturbance of some sort at the spaceport, but it seems unlikely to be related to our mission. Just a bit of local color, perhaps even a cultural thing. Such a charming world. If this escalates into what must pass for a festival here, it may be best to instruct the pilots to land away from the fiery wreckage."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC:

"That," said Costa Vespula caustically, "is such a breathtaking new scope of sexual harassment that I'm having trouble even calling you a sexist nerf herder. I'm...I'm...wait, never mind. You are the worst, most insolent, sexist nerf herder I've ever known. I'll be at that coffee shop we met at this evening. No sauce in your caf this time, understand me? You're...you're lewd enough as it is."

-Tyler

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC: (R9, Taris Upper City)

The astromech remained calm as she examined her options. She could hear someone trying to handle the doors. Probably someone who was trying to force them open. It sounded like they were doing in manually, and whoever it was probably knew what they were doing. 

Finally, she heard the door slowly starting to open. The blinding sun began to penetrate the craft. It took her sensor a moment to see the face of her rescuer. 

"R9?"

It didn't take much to recognize the Twi'lek who had identified herself as Nall. R9 expressed a grateful whistle.

"No problem," Nall said. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

R9 gave her a sad beep in response.

"People are already starting to notice the wreckage. We should get out of here before any scavengers come."

R9 extended her third leg, and quickly rolled toward the door. She momentarily stumbled as she rolled base the edge and onto the ground. Getting her balance didn't take too long.

"We'll go back to my shop and you can tell me everything, okay?"

R9 reluctantly agreed. Explaining herself at this point wouldn't have been a great idea. 

"Come on." Nall started to lead R9 toward her droid shop.

IC Odiina:

She felt the suspect go limp, and allowed herself to relax for a moment, before pushing the unconscious woman off of her, and standing. She re secured her helmet as another trooper secured binders on the woman's wrists.

"Next time, private, just shoot." The sergeant reprimanded.

"Yes, sir."

"And you fried your rifle. Get back to base and get a new one, double time!"

Odiina looked down at her e-11, the finish charred slightly by the electricity. She frowned inside her helmet.

"Now, private!"

"Yes sir!"

The doors unlocked, and Odiina started back to the outpost.

IC: (R9, Droid Shop)

The droid shop was mostly empty. Not surprising; given how the people on this level seemed to treat aliens. It was a wonder Nall even stayed open. Still, it made for a good hiding place. Already, witnesses were starting to gather around the crashed skyhopper outside. A few individuals were attempting to scavenge it for parts. Others were confused and trying to make sense of what was happening. 

R9 quickly expressed a series of panicked beeps as Nall took a seat next to her. She was loud, and upset. She was very fast, quickly trying to explain everything.

"Whoa," Nall said. "Slow down. I need you to tell me exactly what happened."

R9 paused, swiveld her dome to look at the door. No sign of anyone entering. R9 began relating her experiences. 

"I know," Nall said after a few beeps. "They were asking me for information."

R9 continued. Nall listened as she explained everything.

The Twi'lek paused to think. "She was taken by Imperials? There aren't very many places on Taris for keeping prisoners."

From a moral perspective, it was an easy decision. The woman had saved her life, she owed her this much. Besides, it was the Empire. As a Twi'lek living in the racist environment of the Upper City, she knew oppression. She had more than enough incentive to rescue Kyra. It was more a question of how to do it.

"Okay," Nall muttered. "How many stormtroopers were there?"

R9 beeped in response.

"Four? They can't have been well-staffed. Probably from that outpost in the lower city. My guess is that the Empire's occupied with something else, and that was all they could spare for law enforcement. We can use that to our advantage. In the meantime, we're going to need some people on our side. I know one or two places we can try."

The Twi'lek stood, stroking the droid's dome. She made her way to the back of the shop, opening a door and motioning for R9 to follow.

The speeder itself wasn't exactly anything of high value. It was old, rusty, and worn. It had also been modified to allow a compartment for an astromech droid; something useful in her profession. Still, it seemed to be in working order, and it would serve their purposes.

The Twi'lek climbed into the driver's seat, and started the engines. R9 quickly made her way into the droid compartment, and the speeder took off.

IC:

"Yes, ma'am." He almost added 'the sauce by itself, then' but reevaluated quickly. No need to push his luck. He was closer to the caf shop than she was, anyway, so he slipped out the door and proceeded towards the shop. This late in the evening they weren't getting much traffic. It was too late for the daytime caf drinkers, and too early for the rush of late-shifters and night owls to be crowding in. 

If Liare had to guess, he had about ten minutes before the Chief arrived. If that. Couple of minutes to change levels, a few more to reach the coffee shop, no more than ten for travel time. Enough for what he needed. Ordering caf was a nice quick process, complete with a little idle chatter (Liare wasn't one for not talking, and if he didn't get everyone else talking he'd failed), after which the Inquisitor ordered a few baked goods too. It was going to be a long night, best to stay well-fed. It was still a pretty quick transaction, however, so he found himself back outside on the street before the boss arrived.

Which was why there was a drink tray in his left hand (one black, one with cream and sugar), baked goods precariously pinched between bicep and torso, and his free hand adjusting his earpiece.

"You comin', boss? I've got pastriiiiiies."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC (Vanndred):

It took a moment for Vanndred to get his bearings leaving Jenth's shop, but he managed to find his way to the local Imperial Office of Criminal Investigations branch. Big holograms were out front over its doors, declaring the office's name and district number, with some flashier ones cycling through various service announcements, Taris's most wanted being prominent. A dutiful stormtrooper stood watch out front by the weapon scanners. The automatic doors opened to let someone out, a twitchy Barabel, and Vanndred let out a slight groan. Through the sliding doors he spotted a crowd of aliens. This might take longer than he anticipated.

By the time the guard held out his hand to stop, the veteran hunter had already pulled out his ID and blaster license. The stormtrooper, with one motion, snatched them out of Vanndred's fingers and examined them. "Your IPKC's expired."

"I know, that's why I'm here."

The stormtrooper nodded and handed back the holocards, his hands returning to his rifle. "I'll need to inspect your blaster."

Wordlessly, Vanndred unfastened the thumb break and pulled his blaster out of its holster be the back, putting it on a table beside the scanner, followed by the G20 glop grenade he kept. One step carried him through the weapon detector, which was silent. He saw the trooper still looking at the grenade. Vanndred tried to smile as he reholstered his Hunter Elite and tucked away the grenade. Somebody else, a human, came up and the stormtrooper shifted his attention to him. Vanndred shrugged and stooped inside.

The inside of the office was a noisy, boisterous crowd. Somebody had tried to arrange them into several lines. There were three Imperial officials behind blastproof glass at the front of those lines, and one officer at a central desk directing stragglers into back into the quagmire. Consoles lined the walls, most of them in use. Vanndred approached the receptionist. Without taking his eyes off the screen in front of him, he pointed, "Third line to get an Imperial Peacekeeper's Certificate. Have your ID ready."

Vanndred shifted his weight and cocked his head. "I'm here to renew my IPKC. And also check the available acquisitions."

The officer looked up, blinking in surprise, as if his system hitting a snag was almost a personal offense. "... Very well." he said. "Identification?"

The Chistori splayed out his ID card and expired certificate on the table. He also pulled out a credit chit, silently praying he hadn't miscalculated his remaining funds for the 500 credit certificate renewal and planetary permit, or that the rates had not gone up. As the officer tapped in his information, Vanndred leaned on the desk. "Why is there a crowd here?"

Again without looking up, the officer quickly indicated with a quick tilt of his head why. Vanndred directed his attention to the Holonet transmission he hadn't looked at on his way in. What he saw surprised him; a military ID hologram. Better picture than most Empire's Most Wanted. No, but what surprised Vanndred was that he had seen the subject before, that day. His instincts had been correct, in a way.

Rebekah Fell.

That would explain the crowd. All you needed was an IPKC to collect on somebody on the Empire's Most Wanted list. The six-digit bounty, which might have made less experienced hunters light up, didn't faze him. It meant that she was dangerous. If any of these came close, Vanndred bet that they would be cut down by the acquisition. Besides, she was a military criminal; Vanndred had sworn off going after those after that close escape from Dantooine half a decade ago. Still, he had more of a lead than the rest of these whelps...

"I said I need your credit chit, Chistori."

Vanndred yanked his gaze away from the transmission and back to the officer. He handed over the credit chit. The officer took it with an unimpressed look. "I take it you're after Fell."

"No. At least not yet. I need to ease myself back into the profession." The officer was silent a moment, then handed everything back, including his newly updated Imperial Peacekeeper's Certificate.

"Well, you can find the listing at one of the consoles. Have a safe day." The officer waved him away to greet a Rodian pushing a cuffed human along; Vanndred stepped away, and pushed his way to one of the wall consoles.

The Chistori registered himself to the bounty posting list, which helpfully brought up a list of potential acquisitions. Top of the list, of course, was Fell. There wasn't a capture permit for her, so no money had to be put up-front. Vanndred selected her info; it was free, why not? He continued scrolling through the list. One came upon his eye; a bothan he had seen before, frequenting the Stray Tach. Wasn't a very good picture, but Vanndred didn't easily forget a face. Especially not one with an eyepatch. He put in his credit chit one last time, and paid for the capture permit. A holodisc popped out of the console. Fortunate, since normally he would just upload the information to his wrist computer. Vanndred snatched the disc and strode for the door. Enough time would have passed by the time he got back to Jenth's workshop. He felt his blood warm in the sunlight of the upper city as he exited the building, and he felt something that had long been dead. No, asleep.

Vanndred was back in the hunt.

Edited by Keeper of Kraata

The times, they are a-changing...

IC (Raia Veyura, Lower City streets)

Veyura flicked her superior a casual salute as the latter picked herself up from jumping off the speeder bike, then turned back to the vehicle's controls and pulled up the holomap. She heard a beep from the personal datapad nestled in one of the pockets of her coat, confirming that the data had been received from Insight.

Steering the bike through the largely-empty street with one hand, the Umbaran deftly extracted the datapad from her pocket with the other and pulled up the coordinates for the search area, which she then keyed into the holomap. She slipped the datapad back into her coat and, as her destination appeared as a small yellow circle on the blue spiderweb of streets and tower blocks, kicked down on the accelerator.

The Chief had put her in charge of half the current operation. That was good. But that also meant babysitting Kazuma and Raine, who might make her preferred approach—one of subtlety—difficult to maintain. Force and intimidation might be necessary once the contact was located, but an overly heavy-handed search would likely spook them into disappearing, and the best lead on the target would disappear with them. Kalaf should be a useful balancing influence in that regard.

The beginnings of a plan began to form in Veyura's mind. There might just be a way to use both approaches to their advantage...

"Evening, Inquisitors," she addressed them through the comm. "Veyura here. Our search zone is centred on coordinates sigma five-three-three in the Lower City. That's in the south of Jorza District, if you're familiar with local geography. Head in that general direction and I'll find us a rendezvous point once I'm closer."

IC (Tallik Vao, Lower City)

Inquisitors? Here?

Tallik's eyes darted to meet Cylund's. With a few twitches of his Lekku, he communicated his thoughts to his partner: I've a feeling this job just got complicated.

He looked back to his fellow Twi'lek (and realised she'd probably caught his non-verbal communication, but it was too late to worry about that now) and gave her an apologetic smile that hopefully didn't look too insincere.

"Hey, look," he said. "This has been...fun...but we need to go."

With that, he placed a hand on Rav's shoulder and gave him a firm push in the direction of the Stray Tach, while saying in a low voice near his ear:

"We need to get you to your friend. And we may have to take back that 'no questions asked'."

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC: (Nadia)

Talik's discreet gesture hadn't exactly been missed by Nadia. Even if she didn't use her own lekku often she still knew the language, mainly because unlike Viseria she had actually been around plenty of her own kind. Obviously, there was something else to their presence, something they wanted to keep secret. Still, they probably weren't in the habit of sharing their goals with a stranger, even one who had been on the track with them before.

"Okay," Nadia finally said, with a smile. "If you need anything, you should be able to find me on the swoop track."

IC: (R9)

The airspeeder came to a quick landing on the street in the lower city. Nall was the first to step outside. "There's a cantina over there," she noted. R9 turned her sensor towards it. The sign read Stray Tach. "It's a good place for finding people looking for work. If we can get anyone interested in rescuing Kyra, they'll be there."

R9 quickly ejected herself from the droid compartment. It was hard to contain the emotions in her loud beeps and whistles as she quickly extended her third leg and rolled toward the Stray Tach.

"Wait, R9!"

Before the Twi'lek could do anything, R9 had already charged into the Stray Tach. She making a lot of noise, a hint of panic audible in her beeps and whistles.

OOC: R9 is open to interaction.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC: (Cylund, Taris Lower City)

Cylund nodded very, very slowly. He still couldn't, for the love of the Force, say who this twi'lek was, and her fixation on meeting them on the swoop track seemed perverse at best.

Inquisitors being around, however, now that wasn't just strange, that was really bad and they needed to get out of here.

"Let's move, fam," he muttered to his partner and proceeded down towards the Stray Tach.

IC: Not exactly what Nadia hoped meeting a fellow swoop champion would go. Still, it shouldn't have been too surprising. After all, she would have been what? 19 or 20 the last time she raced against Cylund Calrissian. They did mention being off-world, and if her brief observation of Talik's lekku was anything to go on, they may not have had time to keep up with the Tarisian Swoop Racing scene, let alone find out who had won over the crowds in Calrissian's absence.

Tashka remained quiet as the two men began to walk away. "Not exactly what I expected," she muttered.

"No," Nadia replied. "There's something off. I noticed Talik trying to use his lekku. They're involved with something."

"You got any idea what?"

"Not really," Nadia said, as she turned back toward the Vulkar base. "Whatever it is, we probably don't want to get involved."

Tashka paused. She wasn't entirely sure if she should ignore them. Still, she turned and followed Nadia.

IC (Nokon Raine-Outside the Stray Tach): Nokon paused at the odd comment from Liare. He'd felt the other man reach out with the Force briefly, so he knew the message had gotten through. But to tell him not to worry about it? Of course, they were here for different reasons, they had a mission. But it might pay to at least know who and where the Force-Sensitives were. Raine nearly called it in there when a stray thought struck him. The war against the Imperial intruders back home. Of course the Troopers weren't to blame, only following orders like they were conditioned to. They killed for their job, just like Raine's boys had killed for their home. No, it was the recruiter who Raine thought about now. The dark-robed man who had reduced one of the kids to a smoking husk in mere seconds, just to demonstrate his power. A power that Raine found he craved, not to hurt people with but to secure the people he cared about, to make them safe. If he called in those people in the bar, the same kind of scare tactics might be used. People could die, who had nothing to do with it. Just to make a point about power.

Fortunately for Nokon, the moment of thought saved him from the decision, as he received new orders through his comm. Orders that made him groan in frustration, being second fiddle yet again. And to Veyura no less. This would be lovely... He nearly turned and went back into the bar; considering this was a pub crawl that should be a fine start, before Veyura's voice chimed in over the comm. Raine sighed and rubbed his temples for a moment, preparing himself for what was sure to be a mind-numbing evening before starting out for the coordinates.

IC (Roka Zale, Stray Tach): Roka listened intently, his face falling as he heard about his friends troubles.  "They left you stranded like that?" He asked incredulously. "They may as well have just shot you! Lucky you were able to limp here then, huh? Less lucky that it's Taris, and not somewhere more towards the Core..." An idea began to form in Zale's mind, and he spoke slowly as it took shape, trying to choose his words carefully. "Look, I... Just picked up a job, you know? One I'm not very thrilled about taking, if you catch my meaning. If you let me take a look at your girl, maybe I can help get her patched up? You know I had to retrofit Steadfast's hyperdrive, her backup could probably be made to work with a little modification. Then you can tail along behind me, back me up, and we'll split the payout. Get somewhere with cheaper goods, better jobs, and more access to parts. Everyone profits right?"

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

OOC: I guess Roka didn't notice the very loud astromech droid that's running around the Stray Tach? I kinda thought that would draw some attention.

IC: "R9,"

Nall ran into the cantina towards the panicking droid. R9 had certainly managed to draw attention to herself. Some of the patrons had turned toward her. Most of them probably didn't understand what she was saying, anyway. A lot of them were probably also shocked to see a droid in a cantina, or at least one who didn't appear to be serving drinks.

The Twi'lek stopped in front of R9, and crouched so that she was able to make eye contact with the droid's sensor. "I know you're worried," she said. "It's okay. We'll find Kyra."

R9 responded with a short beep.

"There's plenty of people around here. The lower city is a good place to find people willing to work difficult jobs like this."

An affirmative beep came from the astromech droid.

"The barkeep probably knows something. We can start by asking them."

IC (Varis): 

Mercifully clear of the spaceport and the chaos that had unfolded there, Varis double-clicked her com again after the new orders came in from Inquisitor Veyura, and adjusted her heading somewhat to make best speed for the new coordinates. With the available maps, finding the best course was something of a tricky proposition, but she had to trust that a hard-to-reach location would not have been chosen for the rendezvous.

IC (Isariah):

The cargo hauler drummed her fingers on the table and shrugged, "I think shooting me was the idea, and they got closer than I'd like to getting things done. As for the job... Why not, eh? Not like a better option's about to walk through that door. Sub-lights should be able to break atmo, long as I don't turn her quickly or try to outrun anything. Get something like a hyperdrive on her, and yeah, Khorshid and I can lend a hand."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC (Roka Zale The Stray Tach): Roka grinned and nodded, his antennae perking up in delight. "Fantastic!" He said, deliberately ignoring the loud astromech droid that had entered the bar squealing. He had more pressing matters at hand after all. "I'll flash you Steadfast's docking number and head over to her, pull my backup hyperdrive and whatever I might need to fit it to Khorshid. You said the compression coil blew too, right? I'm not sure I'll be able to fix that one, but maybe rig something up to limp her to our next stop at least... Do you have parts, or should I bring some stuff for that too?" He asked, already pulling up Steadfast's docking information and beaming it to Isariah's comm.

IC:

"I am your boss, Sarir. Not a cadet you can lure back to your ship with a wink and a sweesonberry roll."

A few minutes later, an irritated pulse in the dark side of the Force, like a vein throbbing in a migraine sufferer's forehead, heralded Costa's arrival. She sidled up to the human Inquisitor, glaring a pair of weary daggers at his face, and slipped an arm around his torso. One would be within their rights to think that she was making a grab for the sweets, especially as she finished the thought she'd left hanging over the comm line...

"But...since you have some sweesonberry rolls..."

...until her arm tightened protectively around her flunky's ribs, and the faintest hint of a wry grin twitched on Costa Vespula's full lips. The look felt almost foreign after a day full of pouts.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

OOC: Short question: is the scrapyard still under lockdown? It's nothing important, I just want to make sure I'm on the same page, and it looks like everyone's left.

IC: Layna took a moment to remove her trenchcoat as she lay down on one of the small cots that served as beds for members of the Vulkar Gang. It wasn't exactly perfect, though she'd seen worse. The bed was somewhat stiff, and it had already been a fairly rough day. This wasn't how things were supposed to go. When she arrived at the Outpost she had hoped to be reunited with a sister she hadn't seen in a long time. Instead, she found herself mixed up in Imperial Politics that appeared to be in some way related to her sister's death. One way or another, she had to get to the bottom of this. She was confused, unsurprisingly. It all seemed unreal.

Still, she had finally eaten something. What she needed at the moment was sleep. At the very least, it would clear her mind. She carefully untied the braid in her hair, letting it fall freely. She slid one hand under her pillow and shut her eyes.

IC: As Nadia and Tashka stepped into the Vulkar Base, they were surprised to run into Dak and Viseria. 

"You're up already?" Tashka asked. 

"Yeah," Viseria said. "You should really eat something."

Nadia smiled. "I should, probably."

"Dak was hoping to get out. I thought we could go  to the swoop track."

Nadia paused. Amidst all the chaos that had happened recently, it was easy to lose track of everyday occurrences. The Twi'lek hadn't exactly had much time to think.

"I'll go with you," Nadia said. She looked toward the Togruta standing next to her. "You want to come?"

Tashka smiled. "You know swoop racing isn't my thing," she said. "I think I may head over to the Stray Tach, see if I can catch a duel on the viewscreen. You girls have fun at the track?"

Nadia smiled.

Tashka turned back towards the exit and stepped outside. The Stray Tach would only be a short walk. There was part of her that hoped the wookie bartender wouldn't recognize her from earlier as the Togruta who placed an order and suddenly left the cantina. That probably wouldn't happen. Still, some time to herself would be nice as long as the Beks didn't do anything.

OOC: Tashka is open for interaction.

IC:

"I know, boss. You've got that whole sweesonberrry roll weakness." Liare commented playfully, wrapping an arm around the Zeltron and squeezing tightly. He was tempted to ruffle her hair, but he unfortunately found that his other hand was occupied with the food. Contenting himself with a grin, he squeezed her shoulder and maneuvered the coffee tray in his left hand where she could grab it. "One closest to you is yours. Black. One closest to me is mine. No sauce, as ordered."

"Help yourself to the bag. I'll pick at what's left."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Tashka wandered through the busy streets. There were lots of people here. So far, no Beks had seen her, which was good. She was hardly in the mood for an unnecessary fight, much as she usually loved an opportunity to show off her skill. Of course, she wasn't exactly as well known as some of her fellow gang members, and the lower city streets had a variety of species already. There were humans, of course. Unlike in the upper city, however, there were also plenty of other races: Wookies, Ithorians, Twi'leks, Rodians, Mon Calamari; all struggling to take care of themselves. One Togruta in the streets wasn't exactly going to draw attention.

Finally, she noticed the Stray Tach. She slowly walked up to the door and stepped inside. The place was crowded. Lots of people of different races were present. At one table, she saw what looked like a Balosar making some kind of deal. At the counter was a strange thing to see: an astromech droid, who appeared to be accompanied by a Twi'lek. That wasn't something normally allowed in places like this, not that it mattered to her.  The droid drew her attention for a moment before the Togruta moved toward a small table at the back of the cantina, near one of the viewscreens.

She took a seat, turning her attention toward the screen. There did seem to be a duel on, although the lout chatter from the other patrons made it difficult to hear what the announcer was saying. She thought she may get a drink later, for now she tried to focus on the duel.

OOC: I feel like Sue is starting to become the RPG's Rick Blaine, seeing as everyone seems to come to Stray Tach.

While I'm on the topic, I was thinking I should check to see who's in the Stray Tach at the moment. As far as I'm aware, we have at least four PCs currently present: Sue, R9, Tashka, and Roka. Is there anyone else I'm forgetting?

Oh, and Tashka is open to interaction.

Edited by Atton Rand

[Sue, The Stray Tach, Lower Reaches]

Sue leaned over the counter and growled at the Twi’lek in response.  Her voice was soft, but there was a bit of an edge to it, especially as she turned her dark eyes on the astromech droid.

“It depends on what kind of question it is,” TK said.   “I usually do the best with ones resembling ‘Sullistan Gin on the rocks.’”

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC: (Stray Tach)

R9 expressed a nervous whistle as Nall gently stroked her dome. "It's okay," she said, trying to comfort the worried droid.

The Twi'lek looked at the wookie in front of her. "Actually, I was hoping for some information. This droid lost her master, who was arrested by Stormtroopers. We were hoping to find someone who knew how to get her out."

The duel came to a short end. It was fairly predictable, as could be expected from the upper city dueling ring. It didn't offer much interest for Tashka. 

Unsurprisingly, the duelists were almost always human males, and having to watch them in a noisy environment like the Stray Tach made it harder to learn their names. That made sense, seeing as aliens weren't allowed in the upper city, and for a Togruta attempting to move there only resulted in a wave of hate speech and discrimination. There was the odd Twi'lek who was allowed to work in the cantinas, and sometimes Hutts were allowed if they could bring money in. Other than that, many businesses had included a "humans only" rule, and were legally entitled to deny service to aliens.

That had, unfortunately, included the Dueling Ring, as Tashka knew well. No self-respecting Upper City resident would want to see an alien who could easily take on their mediocre crop of fighters. Even the Hutts running the business were happy to enforce the "no aliens" rule if it meant they could continue making money off of the upper city audiences. She was probably old enough now to try out underground dueling, which would more likely be a real challenge, though she first had to find someone who could get her in, which was easier said than done.

The Togruta took her attention away from the screen and sat back. She looked around the cantina. It was a busy place, with a variety of different people of different species. A few tables away, she could see a Balosar who liked like he was making a deal with a smuggler. On the far side of the cantina, it looked like a Trandoshan had too much to drink, and had passed out over one of the tables. Over at the bar, the Twi'lek was talking to the wookie, and her droid looked nervous. Over at the bar there was a tall man with a satchel of some kind, possibly a scavenger or something. Then of course there were several people engaged in games of Sabaac. 

A drink wouldn't be a bad idea, though she didn't feel much like approaching the Wookie at the moment.

OOC: Tashka is open to interaction.

Edited by Atton Rand

[Sue, The Stray Tach, Lower Reaches]

Sue's voice was almost as flat as that of her translator droid.

“I’m a bartender.  What makes you think I would know anything about breaking someone out of prison?  I run a legal establishment here.  If you want to get yourself killed, I suggest finding someone else to do it with you.”

Edited by Mel

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.