Where is everyone?

randomreviewerbros

Hi everyone!

As I only recently came back into regularly using this site again, can anyone tell me was there any point during last year where there were huge amounts of people online as G2 was rolling out?

I was very minimally using this site last year so I'm not 100% sure what it was like last year, during 2014 the site was actually very popular in terms of there being no sets available on store shelves and such.

Because atm there is very minimal people online at any given time, and I feel like this site is easily the best place for BIONICLE related things!

I came back this year expecting new peak period to be sometime last year because of G2 and beat the current 595 online that happened at one point during February 2010.

Anyways so that is basically my question :)

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Perhaps I'm just letting my own decreasing level of activity affect my view of the board as a whole, but there don't seem to be quite as many posts and new topics as there were early last year and in 2014, which (if true) is unusual given that the new Bionicle is now in full swing.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Perhaps I'm just letting my own decreasing level of inactivity affect my view of the board as a whole, but there doesn't seem to be quite as many posts and new topics as there were early last year and in 2014, which (if true) is unusual given that the new Bionicle is now in full swing.

I don't know, hype can be a powerful thing, maybe people were overhyped.

• Upvote 2

It's the same old song and dance. New sets = flood of people and news. Eventually that dies off, and you end up with a sluggish board until the summer sets come in. 

That is, unless a big story thing happens, then you might see a small uptick. Still, whatever inactivity we have now is a bullet train compared to what this place was like in 2013. 

• Upvote 4

Ok thanks for the responses!

Perhaps I'm just letting my own decreasing level of activity affect my view of the board as a whole, but there don't seem to be quite as many posts and new topics as there were early last year and in 2014, which (if true) is unusual given that the new Bionicle is now in full swing.

This is exactly what I thought would happen!

It's the same old song and dance. New sets = flood of people and news. Eventually that dies off, and you end up with a sluggish board until the summer sets come in. 

That is, unless a big story thing happens, then you might see a small uptick. Still, whatever inactivity we have now is a bullet train compared to what this place was like in 2013. 

Yea definitely very true, I hope to see a surge in activity that actually stays around for a while and not die off straight away :)

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!

My own decrease in activity really has nothing to do with Bionicle itself and more the fact that I stopped making comics... :v

Thats definitely fair enough, I've had that kind of thing happen to me before!

In the time before time, BZPower flourished like nothing else. Then Makuta cast a big chunk of the membership into a deep slumber. They haven't woken up from that yet, I'd wager.

Haha lol brilliantly written

Edited by randomreviewerbros

I awoke from the darkness. Just have to hope for the others to return.

• Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I wasn't all too active since last September, mostly because of school and whatnot. Working on Kanohi Force-related projects has kept me active for the majority of my time here.

And the occasional S&T debate helps too, although I don't do much of those anymore. 

bZpOwEr

I wasn't all too active since last September, mostly because of school and whatnot. Working on Kanohi Force-related projects has kept me active for the majority of my time here.

And the occasional S&T debate helps too, although I don't do much of those anymore. 

That is definitely fair enough :)

I can't speak for everyone, but might as well talk about why I stopped coming here as often.

I kinda started falling out of Lego when I entered high school since I suddenly had a ton of homework with half the work ethic, regained an interest in Pokemon before losing it again, started watching anime, got back into Yugioh, rediscovered Transformers, recently took an interest in Gundam... I just plain didn't have time for sitting down and building things like I used to, stopped getting new sets, and eventually lost a lot of my old interest. And thus, I stopped coming to BZPower. It's like... I tried to stay involved, but there wasn't really anything that I hadn't gotten tired of already. The MOC forums were okay, but I stopped really caring enough to leave comments since I wasn't regularly building myself. The library just completely stopped entertaining me, the art forums were the same deal as the MOC forums, and all the other forums were just kind of dried up. G2 got some of them going again, but being story-light as it was, I couldn't really get into it, didn't really have the opportunity to pick up the figures, and by then I was already falling out of Lego in general. I tried breaking into RPing a few times, but it never amounted to much more than my characters running around looking for somebody, anybody, to interact with, completely unable to get involved into the big overarching plot. 

I guess what drew me into Bionicle was the world. I loved reading the comics with every new Lego Magazine, gaining a love of reading in elementary school through the novels, buying the brand-new sets and always begging my mom for the red one or the black one, but what I loved most of all was putting my own characters into the story. There was this huge deep world out there to explore, whether through canon characters that I just got or MOCs that I built to fight them. In a way, there were two versions of Bionicle for me. The epic tale told through the books and comics I loved so much that we're all familiar with, in which I grew up with the various Toa as my role models, and the one in my own head, with all my own characters playing around in my own world. The Mutant Rahkshi, Makuta Dralcax, Krahk, Enjin, even when Bionicle ended and I could no longer follow the canon, I kept making my own story. Makuta Dralcax in particular, the complete Gary Stu lead of a fanfic I never finished and shared and later my namesake, he was a bit of an imaginary friend during my chuunibyou years. Of course, I eventually had to grow up.

I'm not quite sure how it all got away from me. When I was a kid hearing about the AFOL community and the "dark ages" many of them experienced during their teen years, I laughed and said "That'll never happen to me, I'll always love Lego!". Now I seem to be stuck in them. Maybe it was the period of depression, maybe it was moving, maybe it was a lack of time. Maybe it was just growing up. MOCing went from an art I dedicated many hours of free time to and just became "Oh, I REALLY don't feel like doing my homework but there are pieces right next to me time to procrastinate". My stories went from Bionicle characters doing silly and cool things to human characters going on adventures and falling in love. I discovered Reddit and found a larger community of mostly adults. I started making a conscious effort to overcome Asperger's and move away from my old cringeworthy self. I seriously reevaluated my identity a couple of times. I ventured out into the world, exploring the different fandoms out there. I've been through a lot of changes, and overall, Lego and Bionicle stopped being fun. The characters I grew up with stopped being relatable and started seeming more kiddy and cliched. Even Teridax, one of the most interesting villains of my childhood whose Plan blew my 10-year-old mind, started to seem kinda meh. I still love this franchise, but now it's more out of nostalgia than anything. As I matured, it just kind of stopped appealing to me. I moved on from making Bionicle fanfics to Pokemon and then Yugioh before outgrowing fanfiction entirely. As such, my old characters just... went away, with nothing but cool-sounding names left behind. I stopped fantasizing about the adventures of Makuta Dralcax curbstomping everybody because I'd rather imagine a heartwarming romance between two people. The major thing is... I made my stories as an escape from reality. Back then, I turned to Bionicle for a world where my characters could fight and win battles as each bit of the canon world became a challenge for my fanfiction to overcome in battle. When real life sucks, just write about an OP Makuta and start kicking butt. Now, though, I'm still writing as a form of escapism, but as I've grown up, it's... not Bionicle. Stories about love, bonds, adventure, inner strength, the meaning of life, the role of humanity, the mysteries of the universe... My creativity just walked away from Bionicle entirely. My characters went from MU beings to humans and my world went from the Bionicle universe to one more suited for humans.

As for Lego in general, well... I've done a few things since then, but it lacks the same spark. I love to design things in my head, but that's way different from translating it to brick. One of these days, I want to learn to draw to put these designs into use, not sit around digging for one piece. I really have been thinking of getting back into MOCing, but I can never find the motivation to download LDD and really have a serious go at creating my vision. And even if I did make something, there are other places where it would get more attention than here. As it is, though, I don't even have the time to build official sets. If I have a bit of free time, I usually end up watching anime or playing Yugioh, and don't really feel like doing Lego. Maybe, in a few years when I'm employed and don't have to spend hours over homework I can pick it back up again, but for now there are so many other things I'd rather be doing that I never get around to Lego.

As I've grown up, I've taken some pretty big steps away from Bionicle. I've always been the creative type, and thus, most of my contributions to this community have been my various attempts at creating things. I've built MOCs, written fanfics, and enjoyed so many of your similar contributions. But now, I'm just not feeling the Bionicle universe anymore and I don't have time to be a fan of Lego on top of my many other interests. As well, I feel this community has grown apart quite a bit. I'm sure a lot of those out there have stories like mine, and even the most dedicated AFOLs that were around have headed off to bigger communities not based around one theme that used to be special. I still have BZPower set as my homepage, and try to drop in on the forums every once in a while, but it's just a quiet site for things I'm no longer passionate about. I'm glad I could spend so many years as a part of this wonderful community, but I just haven't been that interested for a few years now.

• Upvote 4

aouROFb.png

I do lurk a lot, and I know a lot of ex-BZPers who do. No areas really interest me though besides the Bionicle Discussion and Storyline and Theories. I still check the site, just more about a few times a week max instead of every day. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

My own interest in Bionicle is really only tied to my A Rude Awakening project. If it wasn't for that and my usage of Bionicle as a foundation for imagination and world building, I would never have returned back in mid-2014. I just have more interests now and it's had to move out from the spotlight for more important things. Bionicle will always have a place in my heart, i grew up with it and as a child it was basically my co-religion with Christianity.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I registered back in 2014, but I knew of BZPower as early as 2006. I came here because the place where I was for so long before, well.... I was backstabbed, and left for dead. But I was brought in from the cold by Windrider, she was there when I needed her the most, and for that I am greatful for, and she is one of my best friends because of that reason. I joined ARA to not benefit myself, but rather to use my ability, I have taken so much, and given back so little, it's time that I turned that tables and gave instead of received for a change. And when I do make something for myself, I also make it for others, and for the project. (Unless if it's completely unrelated to ARA). I must admit though, I did make some mistakes, some of which I may never forgive myself for, but with the help of my friends, family, and those who I look up to (i.e those in my profile pic. Even if there not physically real, they're real to me) I know that I can do anything, even when my hope is gone, move along, move along. And when the world comes falling apart and I've fallen, I am safe in her arms. (Metaphorically speaking, of course.) You don't have to be a Toa to be a Hero. Be kind, do not kill, unless if need be. Accept all, forgive all. Be Good, Be Strong. Have Courage, have Patience. Believe in yourself, always.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Internet forum boards generally aren't as popular as they once were. BZPower used to be very popular because children used it, but nowadays they prefer to use Youtube, Kik, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Us older members only come back when there's news, because we're generally quite busy.

Anecdotally, a lot of former BZPers have moved onto different social media websites.

• Upvote 3

Majhost sucks

Most of my work is done behind-the-scenes these days. I do post, though it's usually to move or close topics. I could stand to be more public and casual on that front.

I think iPenguin is correct. Look at our 1.3k+ followers on Twitter. Our 730+ likes on Facebook. Our 6k+ followers on YouTube. A lot of my head-scratching these days is about the following: how to funnel our social media presence and integrate it better with the forums.

These kinds of topics show, at least, the awareness on part of our members - but please, by all means, if you have ideas on how to increase activity, feel free to share!

• Upvote 2

A lot of the old guard just lurks, myself included, albeit even my lurking has died down in the last few months.

Bills and responsibility will do that to you, unfortunately. Not only that but I think a lot of people have moved on to other hobbys, especially after the dataclysm. Things were just never the same after that, and if I'm totally honest this will probably be the only post I make for another six to twelve months if my previous record is anything. I think for a lot of us the allure of the community that used to bring us back faded when the community did, increasing the rate of decay so to speak.

And Wind, If you can pay all my bills for me and make it so I have no 'sponsibilities I will come back :P

• Upvote 3

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

And Wind, If you can pay all my bills for me and make it so I have no 'sponsibilities I will come back :P

You all are the ones who are supposed to be buying me lattes, you know. I don't know what you mean about paying your bills. :P

I seem to remember legitimately owing you a latte years ago. Huh.

Well I guess as long as I keep lurking one day I actually will buy you one cause I'll end up at brickcon or something.

But in all seriousness I blame adult responsibilities for the lack of activity, i'm sure most others would agree.

Edited by Lord Kini Hawkeye
  • Upvote 1

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

I find it rather weird that this was once very populated and active, but at the same time, I like it like this because things aren't a mess of arguments everywhere. I'm not saying that because that's what I think happened in the old days, but rather because it's less likely to happen now that there's less people active. Also, with less people and less arguments, the staff have less things to worry about in their adult lives. So that's a plus, I guess. :)   

With that said though, the staff also have to look out for other things. BZPower is older than most big social media platforms, so people have gone with the new stuff, as pointed out by the statistics shown by Windrider. With a lot of the people that have grown up, they find a better balance with these other sites because they can learn and commit to more things that are relevant to them and not just LEGO. Don't forget, this is aimed at the news and discussion of LEGO, not more broader things like "social-lives" and developing global events, therefore this ends up being something smaller.

Most of my work is done behind-the-scenes these days. I do post, though it's usually to move or close topics. I could stand to be more public and casual on that front.

I think iPenguin is correct. Look at our 1.3k+ followers on Twitter. Our 730+ likes on Facebook. Our 6k+ followers on YouTube. A lot of my head-scratching these days is about the following: how to funnel our social media presence and integrate it better with the forums.

These kinds of topics show, at least, the awareness on part of our members - but please, by all means, if you have ideas on how to increase activity, feel free to share!

I may warn you that the 1.3K Twitter followers is a little misleading - most of those are inactive accounts by people who may have long since forgotten them. 

But then again, the biggest number - bigger than all of those numbers - is the 50,000+ inactive forum members. :P

I don't know - I think about this occasionally as well - but we might do better leveraging how we're different from Twitter/Facebook/YouTube. It's seems to me that it's easier to say, host your fanfiction or run an RPG here, for example, then it is out in the Internet Wild West of Social Media. 

I wouldn't get too comfortable with YouTube, especially with the state it's in now. BZPower's channel might get taken down for "copyright infringement." 

What? BZPower doesn't post infringing stuff - it gets permission from members to use the music that it does use in its reviews. You can get miffed over lack of fair use, but the fact remains if it was your stuff getting ripped off, you would want to take action too. 

Further, your channel can't be thrown out immediately for copyright strikes. It takes three of those to lose the channel.

I wouldn't get too comfortable with YouTube, especially with the state it's in now. BZPower's channel might get taken down for "copyright infringement." 

Further, your channel can't be thrown out immediately for copyright strikes. It takes three of those to lose the channel.

Well, TeamFourStar says otherwise; Though they got their channel back somehow, regardless. But yeah, their channel did get completely terminated without warning or a strike.

Anyway, I just meant that in general. You can get a channel like BZPower's that is not corrupt (unlike some others) to be taken down or get a copyright strike regardless if the channel has done anything wrong or not. The system is as broken as Vezon's mind, now.  

Standing out from the crowd could potentially work, but I'd assume the staff knows best.

Well, TeamFourStar says otherwise; Though they got their channel back somehow, regardless. But yeah, their channel did get completely terminated without warning or a strike.

Anyway, I just meant that in general. You can get a channel like BZPower's that is not corrupt (unlike some others) to be taken down or get a copyright strike regardless if the channel has done anything wrong or not. The system is as broken as Vezon's mind, now.  

Standing out from the crowd could potentially work, but I'd assume the staff knows best.

Here's the source for YouTube copyright strikes. Best not to go off of rumors.

• 2 weeks later...

Forums aren't very popular anymore, and the one-two punch of Bonkles and BZPower dying for a while was a huge stumbling block for maintaining the community over the five years between G1 and G2. That's the big reason why I left, and only recently decided to try coming back for the second time.

Here's hoping this all works out, I guess. =)

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Honestly a lot of it is the generational gap. A lot of us who were active when we were younger have moved on into the early stages of adulthood and have various degrees of ability to consistently participate. The younger generation that is now picking up Bioniclearly doesn't participate as heavily in message boards and rather see much of their online presence funneled through social media and other outlets

• Upvote 3

Yo.