Has this happened to anyone before?

Ok so story is, I have been pulling out all my G1 sets from their canisters to put back on display recently, all sets built only a few pulled apart when I was younger and didn't know that the pieces would break on me (one of those just had to be Phantoka Lewa ughhh the regret, every single lime green joint has at least one crack in it), I have rebuilt all the ones I pulled apart to their original form as I got older.

Ok so once I got to getting all the BIONICLE Stars sets in 2010 I learnt not to ever pull apart my sets once I had built them the first time around because I didn't want more pieces breaking on me.

Fast forward 6 years later and here I am pulling them out of their canisters, and I go to open the Piraka Nektann Stars set out, and low and behold one of the leg pieces cracked and broke off the body WHILST IN THE CANISTER! I have never ever heard of a piece breaking whilst in the canister, the piece never had any cracks in it before so I don't know how it happened, I have never pulled apart the set after building it the first time, here is the pics of it: https://twitter.com/R_Reviewer_B/status/697376095000199168?lang=en

None of the other pieces have any cracks at all in them. I will have to superglue the piece back together or buy a new one off of Bricklink.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Edited by randomreviewerbros
  • Upvote 3

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I remember losing one of glatorian gresh's dark green fists (not stars gresh). He was hardly played or posed with, but 3 years later in 2012 when i was going to use his fists for a moc, i was gently popping them off when one of them gave a sound like crunching popcorn with your teeth and the one of the ends on the ballcup on the fists had broken.  :(

• Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

The Stars... Never bought any. My last G1 sets were in 2007, and suffered small cracks but not anything that ruined it permenanetly. Then I started buying Bionicle again and 2015 and learned how... BEEFY the new pieces are.

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Yup. Pulled out Mata Nui and Ackar not too long ago, and both of them had lost their right hands, while one of Ackar's legs was damaged. It was just the sucky design  style for those parts between 2008 and 2010 that does that. Anything before is still fine.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Haha thanks for all your responses!

Very varied between each person, its good to see Im not the only one its happened to.

Yup. Pulled out Mata Nui and Ackar not too long ago, and both of them had lost their right hands, while one of Ackar's legs was damaged. It was just the sucky design  style for those parts between 2008 and 2010 that does that. Anything before is still fine.

This is definitely why I much rather build MOCs with pieces from the first 6 years more than the last 3 years of G1.

Nah, it's never happened to me before. It doesn't surprise me, however. It's one of those pieces, after all.

Definitely True.

This has happend to me with Bionicle Stars Gresh and i have not disasembled him ONCE and same thing with the first version of HF FURNO of 2010.

LEGO musn't have been on their game with manufacturing parts that year.

I remember losing one of glatorian gresh's dark green fists (not stars gresh). He was hardly played or posed with, but 3 years later in 2012 when i was going to use his fists for a moc, i was gently popping them off when one of them gave a sound like crunching popcorn with your teeth and the one of the ends on the ballcup on the fists had broken.  :(

That would have been really really frustrating, Glatorian Gresh is my favorite Glatorian, I would be very disappointed if that happened to me.

Pieces from the Stars sets breaking in the canister? Never heard of that one. Pieces from the Stars sets breaking the first time they are put together? Oh yeah, that's the Stars for ya'.

Quality-control? What's that?

Haha lol very true, there must not have been any in 2010!

The Stars... Never bought any. My last G1 sets were in 2007, and suffered small cracks but not anything that ruined it permenanetly. Then I started buying Bionicle again and 2015 and learned how... BEEFY the new pieces are.

Well you definitely would have been disappointed with the quality control as 'RahiSpeak' said from 2008-2010, there was hardly any with those years, the Phantoka, oh gosh there are cracks on every single joint on each one in my collection, I wish LEGO did a better job with the parts from those few years.

• Upvote 2

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!

might've actually been the opposite effect here, where you left him static a bit too long and so the incredibly fragile joint broke when it shifted even the slightest (blame gravity or fricxtion or whatever.) o:

This is what I thought at first, but I have actually pulled him out of his canister multiple times over the past few years, but maybe because its been nearly 6 months since I have thats the reason for it. 

While this has never happened to my sets as of this post, I haven't exactly taken them out of their canisters lately. That meaning that they've been in their canisters for at least the last five years. :P So I guess it could happen to them if I pulled them out of them. I guess I'll find out one day in the future...

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

While this has never happened to my sets as of this post, I haven't exactly taken them out of their canisters lately. That meaning that they've been in their canisters for at least the last five years. :P So I guess it could happen to them if I pulled them out of them. I guess I'll find out one day in the future...

Haha lol well hopefully your sets haven't encountered the same problem after being in the canisters for so long!

Oddly enough none of my Stars pieces have broken, despite me taking apart and rebuilding my sets on a regular basis. However, pretty much all my limb/hand pieces from 2008 onwards have varying levels of cracks, down to the unfortunate redesigning of parts from then onwards, though rarely has a piece broken enough for it to lose all friction and I've never had to replace a part thus far. As for breaking in the box, either you had a badly manufactured piece or perhaps it was put into the canister in an awkward position which weakened the joint, leading to it's ultimate demise when knocked around or while being taken out, that's what I would guess happened anyway.

• Upvote 1

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

Things like these happened to pretty much all of us here. The plastic used is not up to the task of surviving the wrath of time. The only solution for this problem is to rebuild your sets with a more durable material. I rebuilt my sets with steel parts bought at our local iron store. They don't look exactly like the originals, but they do follow the general aesthetics of Bionicle and they can survive a whole milenium  :)

5atrDPg.jpg

I2qQSSO.jpg

• Upvote 4

IhDIrLK.jpg

Things like these happened to pretty much all of us here. The plastic used is not up to the task of surviving the wrath of time. The only solution for this problem is to rebuild your sets with a more durable material. I rebuilt my sets with steel parts bought at our local iron store. They don't look exactly like the originals, but they do follow the general aesthetics of Bionicle and they can survive a whole milenium  :)

5atrDPg.jpg

I2qQSSO.jpg

These are pretty cool!

Oddly enough none of my Stars pieces have broken, despite me taking apart and rebuilding my sets on a regular basis. However, pretty much all my limb/hand pieces from 2008 onwards have varying levels of cracks, down to the unfortunate redesigning of parts from then onwards, though rarely has a piece broken enough for it to lose all friction and I've never had to replace a part thus far. As for breaking in the box, either you had a badly manufactured piece or perhaps it was put into the canister in an awkward position which weakened the joint, leading to it's ultimate demise when knocked around or while being taken out, that's what I would guess happened anyway.

Well I had put him in just standing up in the canister and I really am unsure if that caused it or what.

Whilst many of my pieces from older sets have since cracked I can never say they've cracked in the canister. Either something was wrong with that individual piece when it was manufactured or the piece quality was worse then anyone could have imagined. 

This is most likely the case I would think

• Upvote 1

Wow, maybe the plastic got old and sensitive? Maybe it could be them bouncing inside of the canisters when being moved, or even both. That's really weird and upsetting, but I guess the pieces just weren't made too well. It might've happened to me but I'm usually a little more angry about when I would put on a piece or take it off and have it immediately break apart like the fricking formation of the Grand Canyon. Just purely disgraceful.

• Upvote 1

Wow, maybe the plastic got old and sensitive? Maybe it could be them bouncing inside of the canisters when being moved, or even both. That's really weird and upsetting, but I guess the pieces just weren't made too well. It might've happened to me but I'm usually a little more angry about when I would put on a piece or take it off and have it immediately break apart like the fricking formation of the Grand Canyon. Just purely disgraceful.

lol yea it is bizarre that pieces made by LEGO break so easily, I was hoping the pieces would be stronger than that of breaking by themselves in the canister