Psat / Sat / Act

Fighty

I don't recall my exact PSAT score, since I only took it once, but I recall it being pretty good.As for the SAT and ACT, my parents had me take it each year from about 7th grade onwards, so in the end I got a 35 on the ACT my sophomore year and a 2390 on the SAT my junior year. Couldn't ask for much better.Of course, this little anecdote does only provide further evidence to the idea that the tests measure how good you are at taking tests and not whether or not you actually know anything.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Nice, I'm officially done with these tests, seeing as I'm graduating this year. :biggrin:For the PSAT's math section, I scored in the top .3% in the United States, but didn't do so hot in the writing portions. :P

Legit, dude. I'm like the exact opposite - I did great in critical reading and writing, but I sucked in math.

calvin_and_hobbes_under_tree.jpg

I got a mostly average ranking on the PSAT a while back, but I have been unable to acquire the funds for taking either SAT or ACT. Thing is, I'm a Senior. So basically I have to wait a whole year before I can apply again...

"Boss! Da needle is pointin' in da red! Dat ain't good!"
"Course it's good ya squealin' runt! Red goes fastah!"

Orks... Such wonderfully simple creatures.

Never bothered taking the ACT, and I don't remember my PSAT score (but I was in the 97th percentile).SAT score was 1950; good enough for most colleges, though I always told myself I'd retake it (and bother to prep beforehand; it was pretty spontaneous), but never really did. It's a good score, but I definitely could have done better (all of my friends DID retake it, and then scored higher than I did, so that just kinda rubs it in my face =P).

These tests are relative failures at measurement of aptitude, since an overwhelming majority of scores are artificially inflated by the countless preparation options. In my opinion, they don't sucessfully measure much at all, and colleges should barely concern themselves with them.Edit: Note that this is primarily directed at the (P)SAT tests. The ACT is a more legitimate test in my opinion. ~B~

Edited by Ballom

I found the PSAT, SAT, and ACT to be much easier than the classes I was taking at the time. In the final summation, I scored a 2100 (1420 sans Writing) on the SAT, and either a 32 or 33 on the ACT. Keep a cool head, and the tests will go fine.Also, I agree with Ballom about the relative legitimacy of the ACT and SAT. To me, the ACT seems much better, though since I'm a Marine Science major, I just might be a bit biased.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I took a practice SAT in freshman year because I was in a sophomore English class that was preparing for the SAT, and I got an 1190. I wasn't all that great with the math, so that might have had something to do with it. :PSophomore year I took the PSAT, got a... 208, I think, and a Commended Student thingy for the National Merit Scholarship.Junior year I took the SAT once without studying, and got a 1390; 740 on the reading, 650 on the math. I don't remember what I got for the writing, or what the essay was on, only that I wrote something about Portal that only kind of made sense, but I did okay there as far as I can remember. I didn't bother taking it again; I got a high enough score to get into the colleges that I want to, and I didn't really want to take it again. :P

19704_s.gif

I haven't taken the ACT, and I don't think I will, since colleges take either test. My first time was in the spring of my junior year, and without studying I got a 1790, with my highest score being in math (630). I studied the online practice problems for my second test (fall of my senior year), and I got an 1890, with math as my highest score again (670). That's probably gonna be the last time that I take this test, since I've been accepted to all the colleges that interest me.

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

I took the PSAT and SAT but never bothered with the ACT. I didn't really do exceedingly well on any of them that I recall (between my two tries, somewhere between 1600-1800). But, honestly, SAT scores aren't really important (though that isn't to say you shouldn't try to do great). You can get into a great school while still doing pretty average.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I took the PSAT and SAT but never bothered with the ACT. I didn't really do exceedingly well on any of them that I recall (between my two tries, somewhere between 1600-1800). But, honestly, SAT scores aren't really important (though that isn't to say you shouldn't try to do great). You can get into a great school while still doing pretty average.

Yes, but just getting into that 2200 league makes a world of difference in terms of opportunity. Personally I don't think that the SAT should be so important for college as it is, but since it is I must do my best if I wish to become what I want to be.Also, Fire & Ice, why do you not wish to go to college?

-[bZRPG Profiles]-

- [Vejmeq] - [isiak] - [Qathek] -

What.Why would you want pointless almost-pop-culture trivia to be on the SAT? What good would that possibly do you in a future career?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yes, but just getting into that 2200 league makes a world of difference in terms of opportunity. Personally I don't think that the SAT should be so important for college as it is, but since it is I must do my best if I wish to become what I want to be.
I've never actually talked with an admissions officer on such things so I don't know what they would consider important, but if I were to bet I'd say that SAT scores aren't at the top of their list of things to consider. According to all statistics, my scores were too low to get into the school I'm at now, so there's obviously other things taken into consideration. Yes getting into the 2200 could only benefit, but it doesn't necessarily mean all opportunities are closed if you don't. I'm not saying the SAT shouldn't be taken seriously by those seeking to get into college, it definitely should, but it isn't everything.Of course it does depend on the school you're applying to. If I may ask, what path are you going for? Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Yeah, it's a bit of a factor, but focus much more on your GPA than your SAT, as a general rule.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom