Bananarific Theory: Mask of Light and Shadow are the Same Mask?

Alright, so, hear me out.

In G1, we had ourselves a sweet set of legendary masks: The Mask of Creation, Mask of Time, and Mask of Life.

Now, in the story where Dekar the matoran from Mahri-Nui remarked how the Mask of Life would have a much more fitting name for the Ignika would be "The Mask of Death", and that's an interesting point, since for the Mask of Life it sure does a good job of taking it away from individuals. Along with the power to curse those unworthy for holding it, it can also cause insta-death (just add water!).

Now this is also supported in the story by the pretty radical matoran named Mazeka and his buddy Teridax, but the good one. What we learn about light and shadow is that they're pretty much opposite sides of the same coin and go hand in hand, and especially that "shadow is simply the absence of light". Light Teridax (now with 3% less fat!) even outright exercises this power despite it being clearly stated that he had banished/removed the evil and darkness from his body (though not really all of it since that's probably impossible for any being or else they would simply be incapable of doing evil and Teridax clearly has no problem truly eliminating several shadow Takanuva's with a freaking beast hammer).

So, if this is the case, couldn't the Mask of Creation be the Mask of Destruction, and it would explain how the Mask of Time can also stop time and probably reverse it.

But more importantly, wouldn't that mean The Mask of Light could be the same mask as the Kraahkan? It would make sense from the previous examples stated that a mask/power means control of an element, also meaning it can remove/absorb it, meaning it can have the power of it's opposite, which in this case would be shadow instead of light.

It could also explain why the Avohkii and Kraahkan (gosh they really did not make these masks easy to spell) are not considered legendary masks as they are both the same mask, and there can't be more than one of a legendary mask.

There's even a resemblance in their physical structures/shapes, with them having vents in similar places and the same eye hole shapes. It also makes sense because in canon we've seen masks take different shapes/styles depending on who's wearing it and what element/form they have taken on.

And I don't think it's an argument that they can't be the same mask because matoran have different names for the two masks, because it makes sense they would get different names in their language as they are viewed very differently and are opposites, but still one and the same; again, like opposite sides of a coin.

And the Mask of Light and shadow still makes sense because it's two different beings with two different ideologies. It's basically two of the same mask merged together but split apart by the users, not its actual element.

So do you agree that this could be a plausible/possible theory? I honestly buy into my own bananarific brilliance and think this will at least be part of my head canon. I think this is especially possible because it's just a theory that changes how you look at things rather than actually changing what it is or how things work. Tell me what you think!

TLDR version: Basically my theory is totally correct and the Masks of Light and Shadow are the same.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 3

Very interesting.  I think that the Mask of Light and the Mask of Shadows could be exactly the same mask.  The Mask of Light is named for it's "elemental" ability, likewise the Mask of shadows is known for it's.  The Mask of Shadows could of been the Mask of Light but because of Makuta's misuse of it, it could have mutated.  Now with the Mask of Time these masks could be one in the same.  The Mask of Shadows could have been retrieved after the Makuta who wore it was defeated and then using the Mask of Time sent back in time.  As the mask travels back however, it returns to it's original state to later be found by...We all know the rest.

So I think your theory is very plausible. :vahi:

Edited by Rakrondewl

Nope. The masks cannot absorb the element they are. A Mask of Shadow cannot absorb light, merely produce shadow. So if you were in a dark cave with a Mask of Shadow, it wouldn't be able to produce light to help you see. 

Conversely, a Mask of Light would not be able to save you from a radiation death in Karda Nui by creating a shadow blanket. 

It could be argued that the Shadow Takanuva really don't have much change in powers, but while they can absorb shadow to create light, they cannot control the element of light, meaning they can't do holograms and lasers. Conversely, goody-two-shoes-Terry cannot control the element of shadow, which seems less of a hindrance, but there you go. 

• Upvote 3

Also, we've seen them as physically different masks, which were merged and separated. So no, they're not the same mask.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Nope. The masks cannot absorb the element they are. A Mask of Shadow cannot absorb light, merely produce shadow. So if you were in a dark cave with a Mask of Shadow, it wouldn't be able to produce light to help you see. 

Conversely, a Mask of Light would not be able to save you from a radiation death in Karda Nui by creating a shadow blanket. 

It could be argued that the Shadow Takanuva really don't have much change in powers, but while they can absorb shadow to create light, they cannot control the element of light, meaning they can't do holograms and lasers. Conversely, goody-two-shoes-Terry cannot control the element of shadow, which seems less of a hindrance, but there you go. 

But to counter that the mask would only be able to tap into the element based on the individual. So if you were evil like Teridax or a shadow toa you would use the mask to conjure shadow but if you were Takanuva you would only be able to conjure light.

Though a being might not be able to outright conjure shadow if they have power over light, it's shown they do have a level of control over it and since they are direct opposites I feel like it would be the characters moral standing that dictates which one they have control over, and thus which version of the mask it becomes.

And unlike other elemental masks, these two are complete opposites so if characters with completely opposite moralities used the same mask it would become the opposite too in this case, which happens to connect the Avohkii and Kraahkan as the same type of mask in my mind.

On the elemental chart, light and shadow are complete opposites and it would tie the whole chart together if they circled back and connected.

Also, we've seen them as physically different masks, which were merged and separated. So no, they're not the same mask.

I think you misunderstand me, my argument is that they could be the same type of mask, not necessarily the exact same mask. Notice the argument I made about how they are not considered legendary masks despite them being some of the most important elements, and how a character and their moral upstanding could be what changes the mask and its elemental power. In the case of Takutanuva, again, it's a being consisting of two other beings with different morality and ideals so they'd be tapping into both versions of the mask, creating that split.

Another point: would a shadow Takanuva be able to use the power of light if they're wearing an Avohkii? I wouldn't think so and logically (at least to me) the mask would become the shadow counterpart.

I hope I explained most of my reasoning well enough in the original post. It's a pretty logical argument/theory to me and I think it's a really cool idea that connects the boundaries of light and shadow very nicely. Sometimes we find ourselves walking so far down one path that we realize we've become the opposite of who we thought we were.

Edited by Banana Gunz

It is sort of a Yin-Yang comparison; one mask has the opposite power of the other. And when the two masks combined in MoL their powers would have worked well off each other.

As for classification of those to masks, I think they are the highest tier of Great Masks; not quite "Legendary"; but they are hard enough to make that Ta-Matoran don't carve spare Avohkii masks in Ta-Metru. Arguably though a talented Matoran could make more; but I imagine making Kanoka of Light or Shadow is a hard task that hinders these masks from being as common as a Hau or a Huna.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

It is sort of a Yin-Yang comparison; one mask has the opposite power of the other. And when the two masks combined in MoL their powers would have worked well off each other.

As for classification of those to masks, I think they are the highest tier of Great Masks; not quite "Legendary"; but they are hard enough to make that Ta-Matoran don't carve spare Avohkii masks in Ta-Metru. Arguably though a talented Matoran could make more; but I imagine making Kanoka of Light or Shadow is a hard task that hinders these masks from being as common as a Hau or a Huna.

True, but if anything everything you just said supports my theory. If it's a ying-yang sort of situation, aren't ying and yang part of the same symbol? They're placed right together and have parts of each other in them, meaning all you have to do is turn it to get the opposite.

And that's right, they would be extraordinarily hard to make, but the Avohkii was made on the Island of Artahka as a safe guard against the Makuta. Sure it would be hard, but it was done once and since it's not a legendary mask another one could be made (especially by Artahka, the very individual who wears the Mask of Creation so he would already have to plans to know how to make another one), perhaps even as a safeguard against an evil toa of light, and then each of the masks roles could be switched depending on who wears them to flip the odds.

I still feel like this theory is only more plausible and that the facts brought against it are easily refutable. I dunno this theory just really makes sense to me.

that is almost as if saying the mask of fire and water are the same. light and shadow cannot be melded they are opposites neither can exist in the same area while they are the same one has to be stronger.

The fire-water comparison isn't the same as light-shadow. Shadow is the absence of light, and (as far as BIONICLE is concerned) light is the absence of shadow. Fire and water don't work like that.

My first though on this topic was that the Avohkii also allows the user to spread friendship and understanding, and the Kraahkan allows the user to spread fear and anger. I don't know if that would make them decidedly different masks.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!