Toy Fair 2016: Bionicle

TF16_Bionicle_teaser.jpg

Twelve of the seventeen Bionicle sets for 2016 have already been released, so unfortunately there wasn't as much to see at Toy Fair as we all might have liked. We did our best though to get an in-depth look at each of the upcoming sets. We also learned that the first two Bionicle Netflix episodes will be premiering in March and the next two in July. To check out the upcoming sets to see what Bionicle has in store for us, read on!

View the full article

• Upvote 4

Ekimu: The shoulder armor looks much better here than the way it was arranged last time.  It looks like a pretty good set, and it’s a bit cheaper than I was expecting, so I might pick it up after all!  My biggest complaint is that the shield sticks out a bit far from the forearm, so that looks a little odd.

Lava Beast: Looks…okay.  Okay, but there isn’t really much special, I feel. (And that random Shadow Trap piece on the back of the neck is baffling.) Reminds me of the Fire Villains from Hero Factory.  I’m very interested in how those arm blades might function, though.  On a more general note, I like the new head and jaw pieces, but everyone’s legs look pretty boring.

Storm Beast: I really like the color scheme!  The tail function also sounds really neat, but I worry it looks a tiny bit awkward, might need to see it in person to really say for sure.  But I do like that the tail ends in a Shadow Trap—that seems like it could be very useful!

Quake Beast: I’m not 100% sure on the purple and green, but I think I might like it.  The left arm looks intimidating, though I do wonder about the shoulders—the blades jut out a bit far, and the construction looks like it might have a half-hunchbacked look; the Shadow Trap on the shoulder is also something I’m unsure about, though I can’t quite find the words to explain why.  Still, there’s a certain charm to it…I think I need more information.

Umarak: Oh boy.  Well, I like the color scheme.  I absolutely love the arms!  The legs bothered me at first, but they’re growing on me.  The solid gray ribcage armor on the back is certainly interesting.  But my gosh, that neck.  It looks like his head is on a signpost.  Not to mention the jaw doesn’t work as well with the corrupted Mask of Control as it does with the others.  What’re those random pieces of armor in the middle of his shoulders?  And then there are the horns—I guess they’re supposed to be the Mask of Control’s horns, but the sudden changes in color and sharp angles just don’t sell it.  Behead this and I’d totally buy it, but as is I just don’t know.

Wow, these sets certainly have some unexpected features. I can't say I like this wave anymore than last summers, actually I think the Skull Villains were a lot better, but I can't make a final judgement till they've actually been released. The Beasts do have a very mutated, almost zombie-like appearance, in their lopsidedness (Quake Beast most of all). Ekimu doesn't look that great to me, having two gear functions is awesome, but I much preferred his villager form and prefer him being just another villager, rather than a 'Toa'. The Beasts aren't great, there're some weirdly done features, like Storm Beast's arms and hands, but their uniqueness might encourage me to buy them. Quake Beast's function looks like it'll be really cool; Quake Beast's sideways gearbox is interesting to say the least and Lava Beast's blades also look really great. Umarak... I don't like thinking of him as an evolution of Umarak the Hunter, it doesn't look like this 'mutation' was something Umarak wanted to happen, but the size of this model and the build is very impressive. I think my favourite part of Umarak would have to be the use of the 2015 gearbox just as a structural piece, rather than for an actual gear function, it's one of many techniques used in 2016 that looks like something you would usually only find in a MOC, and it works really well.

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

I'm definitely getting Ekimu and Umarak the Destroyer. I'm not sold on the Beasts yet though. They look cool, but I'm not sold on getting them as of right now. Maybe that will change in the future...

Anyways, thanks for the pictures!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Oh god... well I can see they put a lot of effort into these and I appreciate the complexity but they are VERY messy and gappy. At least they have some awesome parts and are pretty creative. Some awesome color schemes going on with the beasts too though.

Wow, they didn't just bring back set functions in G2... they completely re-defined them. Those Beast functions are way more complex than anything we got in a standard-price G1 set.

I'm impressed.

That said, I'm not all that wild about the 2016 sets in general. The Beasts have some good parts to buy second-hand, but I can't say that any one of them is a must-have. Their designs are just too gappy and chaotic. The image of Quake Beasts' back left me wondering just what the heck I was looking at... Talk about a jumbled appearance. Ekimu is interesting, but I think they went a little overboard with the transparent blue, and overall he seems a little bit plain. I think Umarak the Hunter is the best set this year in terms of overall appearance, so if anything I'll probably buy that.

Thanks for the coverage. These BZPower updates are a big help in deciding which sets to buy each year. :)

Edited by Disciple

Besides Ekimu, most of the models look a bit "bleh" in my opinion. Just like last year, the summer villains aren't as good as the winter heroes. However, I was not aware of their various action features, so some of those might still be worth it. (As well as the plethora of cool pieces, of course.)

It looks like only a couple of the new sets showed off the extra masks they come with (Ekimu and Quake Beast) so little disappointed we can't see the others. (Also disappointed that, yet again, we apparently don't get a full set of alternate Kanohi for the Toa... at most, we'll get 4 of the 6. And based on last year, the odds aren't looking good for the two others to appear elsewhere, like in a promotional polybag or book.)

Thanks again for the pictures, probably the best I've seen of Bionicle yet!

:music:

I knew I wasn't going to like the look of Destroyer's back...

Hard to judge many of these accurately due to the usual spotty Toy Fair posing, but I'm still tentatively interested in Lava Beast.

Storm Beast's function seems interesting, and explains some of the issues I had with it before. If they're for the sake of a function, I'm willing to give them a bit of slack. Still not liking the arms, though.

Quake beast, well... I'm willing to wait and see it not in Toy Fair posing, but while the function seems interesting, I just don't think I like the look of the result.

Ekimu's just kind of... there. Sure, special mask and all, but he's just... humanoid. Ho hum.

One nitpick: the Glatorian necks in Dark Orange were new for this year's Pohatu, so they're not new for Lava Beast.

Opinions (mostly copied and pasted from a post I made on Eurobricks shortly before I saw this news story):

Went ahead and built Storm Beast on LDD to get a better feel for how it's constructed. All in all that's the beast I'm most impressed with. A brilliant new function that, despite its unconventional use of Technic, feels very effective, much like Skull Basher's. The claw design is also quite nice even if it means no real wrists. The exposed ball joints on the forearms are a non-issue, but I do wish that the designer had attached some ball joints and some blade or lightning pieces pieces to the open ball cups on the forearms just so there'd be one less thing for people to complain about that keeps them from appreciating the rest of the set. It's an easy mod, though.

Lava Beast is a bit of a mixed bag. The functions are not extremely exciting but they do seem fairly effective, and the claw construction is alright. The color scheme is also quite nice. However, the back feels rather bare, and the Shadow Trap half on the back of the neck still feels odd to me. Overall it's a pretty solid design, just not as intensely surprising or innovative as Storm Beast.

Quake Beast is the one I just can't bring myself to like. The designers were definitely aiming for an asymmetrical look and function much like Bruizer, but I don't think it feels nearly as effective or coherent as that set, despite being more articulated. The elemental blades feel about as superfluous as Ketar's are on Pohatu's Unity Mode. Pics and videos of this set are going to have to work a little harder to prove its effectiveness. As it stands, it's hard to see the set as much more than a parts pack.

Umarak the Destroyer looks great, as expected. Very beastly proportions. I like that he uses the Titanium Metallic ribcage piece on his back and the Tr. Flu. Green one on the front, as they work together very well. The claw function is great. I do, however, feel like the amount of Technic used to attach his neck is, in the very least, a missed opportunity. It seems to me that an additional function (maybe something like the Bohrok lunging function) could have been worked in there to both fill in the space better and add even more playability. Having seen this video, the jaw construction for the beasts and Umarak works a lot better than I'd thought it would just from photos. There's not a particularly long underbite, for the beasts at least. Harder to tell with Umarak since he appears to be shown with his mouth open wider than Storm Beast or Lava Beast (possibly due to the weight of his horns).

And finally, Ekimu looks much better than expected. The back armor completes him nicely and his shoulders feel nicely filled in. Giving him a 2015 gearbox AND a 2016 waist gear was a good call. Just as the 2015 gearbox made that year's Ekimu stand out from the Protectors, it makes this year's Ekimu stand out from the Toa. My main disappointment with him design-wise are his weapons. They're not badly constructed, and they are true to the character, but they also both have less functionality than they had in the 2015 version. The hammer no longer has a shooter, and the shield no longer has a gear to spin the saw blade. Bit of a downgrade there. His mask looks better in Tr. Light Blue than I'd have thought. Most of all though the feeling the set fills me with is still curiosity. I want to know the story significance of this transformation so I can better gauge its effectiveness.

Great coverage overall! I'm much more excited for these sets than I was before New York Toy Fair.

Edited by Aanchir

I actually think the Mask of Creation looks great in trans light blup but I would have loved it if they printed the runes over with gold and maybe some gold lines to accent it and make it feel cooler.

I'm sure some people could do it themselves but dang that would be cool.

I must say, these sets are more impressive than I thought. Here is my analysis:

1. Ekimu - I love his trans-blue pieces, including the Mask of Creation. It's great to see that Ekimu still has his hammer and shield from last year. It's interesting that Ekimu has both the 2015 gear box and the gear waist thing in his set. I am going to like his new set when he comes out. However, there isn't much gold, and it's disappointing that he doesn't have his stud shooter this summer.:( I don't know why there is a red-and-black version of Umarak's mask, but it does look menacing. But, he looks like a beautiful set because of his trans-blue colors.:)

The Beasts look very cool. Their lower jaws, however, look a little weird because there is a wide spike or two on the lip. The upper part of their faces remind me of Aquagon from Hero Factory. It's interesting that they have trans-yellow heads behind their "monster masks".

2. Lava Beast - I like his blades. The red and black colors blend very nicely. Reminds me of the Fire Villains from Hero Factory. I don't know why there is a Shadow Trap piece on the back of his neck. It would make the neck stiff. His legs look weird, too, because of how they are built.

3. Storm Beast - The blue and the yellow-green colors go beautifully. I love his trans-yellow pieces and claws. Plus, it's very cool that he has a tail with a Shadow Trap for tip. It's interesting that it has some kind of function that I think could make the tail thrust and snatch a Toa's mask.

4. Quake Beast - I love his trans-purple colors, too. They look beautiful on him. I can see that the color has been used for more than a year. The asymmetry on his body looks weird, but I do like his giant right arm. It looks crazy cool, with the spikes covering it. How is it built reminds me of Bruizer from Hero Factory (Man, a lot of comebacks from HF). Anyway, he has a Shadow Trap on his left shoulder, which I do not know why, but I can see that it could store Onua's new corrupted-looking mask. Speaking of the mask, I like the trans-yellow on it.:)

And finally,

5. Umarak the Destroyer! - Man, he is huge! I like his new trans-yellowish-green pieces and giant hands! I like how his fingers can articulate with gears, though it would be more interesting if each hand could have five fingers instead of three. Well, this is what happens with mutations. I can see that the trans-yellow-gold mask looks like a mutated Mask of Creation with Ben 10 tails for horns. I like how a dark gray skeletal rib cage is used to fill his back. His neck, however, looks awkward because it seems to be bent at 90 degrees. Anyway, Umarak looks dang epic in his new form!:D

Overall, the summer sets look great, but things could have done better if Ekimu could have more gold and kept his stud shooter, there are six Beasts with all six Toa masks, each look corrupted, like Onua's, and Umarak keeping his antlers and weapons. It's like last summer all over again, but with one less corrupted Toa mask. Why can't all six Toa have evil Beast counterparts with one corrupted mask each?:( Speaking of Toa masks. There are also Tahu's and Kopaka's masks existing, but they are not in Toy Fair for some reason. It's interesting that the villains all have trans-yellow pieces as a secondary color. Perhaps it means that Umarak had created the Beasts to serve him? Hmm...

Well, anyway, I like the sets look very cool, overall, and I believe this summer is gonna rock with them (well, mostly Umarak and Ekimu the most because they are my favorites in this wave)!:D

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

One nitpick: the Glatorian necks in Dark Orange were new for this year's Pohatu, so they're not new for Lava Beast.

Brickset, you have failed me.

Brickset gets their parts lists from LEGO Customer Service, and the LEGO Customer Service inventories currently don't include a lot of new parts that came out this year. I'm hoping they update them soon.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

"YUCK!"

Seriously, the first wave of sets for this year isn't what I'd call amazing, but these guys took the bar even lower. Lava beast is by far my least favorite, but I feel he confirms my theory that the beasts are actually fused versions of the Elemental Creatures.

Lava Beast = Dark orange bits + winged fire elements + fact that lava is superheated rock = Ikir + Ketar

Following that logic:

Storm beast = Blue bits + light blue bits + fact that storms include rain or hail = Melum and Akida

And: 

Quake Beast = purple + green + earth-related element + fact that Air/Jungle is the only element left = Terak and Uxar

While I don't like Umarak's new horns, I can see why they did it that way. Look at the MoCr--it looks like it has fused with his face. As such, the ornate horns on the mask seem to have grown into Umarak's head. Umarak is by far my favorite, and likely the only set (besides Quake or Storm Beast) that I will be getting.

Ekimu.... Nope. Just, nope. 

I'm out!

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Beasts look great, and its nice to see some dedication to functions. Ekimu I still dislike. All the trans seems like a gimmick

Umarak is awesome but kinda wish he was a $30 set to make a true titan set like the days of old.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I'm still very comfortable skipping this wave altogether. While I have to give the designers cred for the innovative technic designs (woot!) they did it at the expense of basic things like color scheme and actual design appeal. 

Ekimu is the only set I'm borderline on, simply because of the red-black Umerak mask which actually appeals to me for some reason and the novelty of owning the MoCreation in a different color. The set itself is a parts pack at best.  

Ekimu's mask is not on properly(other wise it's okay as a set), Lava beast has the other arm crystal upside down, Storm beast  is posed like he went number 1 on the display and the construction shown from back looks too overdone, Quake beast's function arm is ridiculously over designed, and Umarak feels hollow, like they forgot about him and in the last minute threw something together.

Posing and putting the sets together was as it seems a hard task for these folks...

Though the corrupted Mask of Control does look nice the lower jaw doesn't work for it, for the beasts it sort of works but just barely. This wave feels rushed and wants to be too many things at once.

Posing and putting the sets together was as it seems a hard task for these folks...

The people putting most of these sets on display are PR people, not set designers or master builders. I suppose LEGO doesn't see the need to pull those latter people away from their busy schedules so some AFOLs don't complain about construction mistakes or poor posing.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they were posed better or that I had time to move things around before I took each picture, but that's not a possibility in the limited time we have access to the sets.

I find Ekimu's design kind of funny, as my dad's response to seeing the new booty-gear function was why they couldn't use both that and the gearbox function together.

As for the beasts, I like them. They have a very warped, undead feel to them.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

The people putting most of these sets on display are PR people, not set designers or master builders. I suppose LEGO doesn't see the need to pull those latter people away from their busy schedules so some AFOLs don't complain about construction mistakes or poor posing.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they were posed better or that I had time to move things around before I took each picture, but that's not a possibility in the limited time we have access to the sets.

Being a PR person has nothing to do with putting a set properly together or posing it right, anyone can do that, I'm sure the instructions booklets were given for each display set.

Edited by Mate.397

Umarak is awesome but kinda wish he was a $30 set to make a true titan set like the days of old.

What about him makes him not a "true titan set"? I mean, let's be real here. He's a $25 set with 195 pieces. He's got custom-built lower legs, a custom-built upper body, custom-built lower arms and hands, and stands considerably taller than any other set this year. So I struggle to see how he's any less of a titan than Umbra, Hydraxon, Nocturn, or Icarax.

We'll never get a "true titan set" if people keep moving the goalposts so it gets harder and harder for a set to qualify as one. I know the definition of "titan set" is tough to pin down in an era where "canister sets" no longer exist and Toa sets are bigger and more complex than ever, and it could certainly be argued that the term's usefulness is fading. But Umarak the Destroyer should still qualify as a "titan set" by any reasonable definition.

• Upvote 5

The beasts remind me of that one Hero Factory wave, what were they called? Ogrum, Aquagon, those dudes. Pass.

Ekimu..... ehhhhh. He just looks like someone's MOC. Like someone just took all the gold pieces from their Winter Toa and made that.

Umarak looks pretty neat actually, but I think I'll just stick with the Hunter version.

Here are my thoughts:

Lava Beast: I LOVE the color scheme, but the legs are pretty bad. 7/10

Quake Beast:  Good colors, but... he's a mess. Just... UGGGH! Why? There's too much going on with the back. Neat function though. 4/10

Storm Beast: Pretty good, I like the colors. Neat function too. 8/10

All the color schemes are pretty great on the Beasts. Those dudes have a couple problems though, but they can be fixed. :) Except the apparent lack of jaw movement, that is.  <_<

Ekimu: Okay, I LOVE this thing. I thought I wouldn't, but man, is he GOOD! A little too much trans-blue, but I actually like it. The MoC in trans-blue is beautiful, and I dig the hammer. And he has TWO gear functions! Awesome sauce! :D 9.5/10

Last but not least...

Umarak: I'm loving it. He's shaping up to be a good titan figure, and his mask is sick! I love that the lower half resembles a skull, and that the top half actually resembles the original! Also, Umarak carries no weapons, which is interesting to see with a humanoid. It just shows that he doesn't need weapons. He's got brute strength and some big honkin' claws! :P The chest print is wonderful, but not the redesign of the Hunter chestplate that I hoped it would be, but still very nice. :) 9/10

This wave looks like a bit of a mixed bag. I hate that the Beasts seem to lack jaw movement, and have some pretty questionable design choices, but they're still decent sets. Ekimu and Umarak are solid.  B-)

And that's it with my analysis. :)

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

Ekimu's lack of much solid color makes him seem like he's evolved into pure energy, or something along those lines.  I like the arm-mounted shield, but I wish he still had a stud launcher in his hammer.  The lack of a creature to unite to did free up space to add a gearbox for the arms, which helps to make up for it.  The Lava Beast seems boring, though.  It's not armored well, at all, but the head looks better than the other beasts, and I like the colors.  Storm beast is still under armored, particularly on the legs, but the function on the back makes the model seem more filled-out overall.  Quake beast does the best with the armour, and it makes it very bulky, but the legs are still missing armour.  I like the Storm and Quake beasts' functions, especially the complexity of storm beast's, which leads to it being my favorite of the three.  Lava Beast's function seems mundane compared to the others'.  As a whole, I like the new Umarak, but the head is terrible.  The lower jaw looks more like a beard, and creates a massive hole where the rest of the head should be.  I think it's the jaw which kills the whole head, and it would look much better if it were removed and the mask was designed to include the chin. 

• Upvote 1

I really wish Ekimu had more gold armor on him and less of the trans blue because the gold plastic is some of my favorite gold coloring on a toy. the tree beast are hard to get an opinion on because they seem very busy, but Umarak new form may seem a bit generic compared to his winter form but it is a really cool and scary, also hes a big set which is some thing the 2015 set where missing (outside the combination models) and makes a nice boss for the 2016 sets 

leech2.6.pnghttp://magnet-toa.tumblr.com/leech2.8.png
*Follow Me on Tumbler*leech.png

Maybe I'll get Ekimu, but none of these strike me as things I'd particularly want.  Maybe their reviews will change my opinion, but I kind of hope not because it means more money to spend on the Creatures and Star Wars constraction sets.

Being a PR person has nothing to do with putting a set properly together or posing it right, anyone can do that, I'm sure the instructions booklets were give for each display set.

Well they probably have other things to do as well.  There are a lot of sets to assemble and distribute.  They probably prioritize stuff like getting the giant $100+ sets together and ready over stuff like posing a handful of $10-$20 figures.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Maybe I'll get Ekimu, but none of these strike me as things I'd particularly want.  Maybe their reviews will change my opinion, but I kind of hope not because it means more money to spend on the Creatures and Star Wars constraction sets.

Being a PR person has nothing to do with putting a set properly together or posing it right, anyone can do that, I'm sure the instructions booklets were given for each display set.

Well they probably have other things to do as well.  There are a lot of sets to assemble and distribute.  They probably prioritize stuff like getting the giant $100+ sets together and ready over stuff like posing a handful of $10-$20 figures.

I suppose, but don't they have a final check or something before the display is open?

Oh, um. hmmm...

I don't know what to say. I just began to accept the 2016 sets as a whole as quite awesome but these might change my mind. None of them look particularly good... I might get Ekimu for the novelty and Umarak because he's the only good-looking set this wave, but those "beasts" are looking quite underwhelming.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

I have mixed thoughts on Ekimu. His color scheme looks unbalanced. Too much of any color is usually off-putting, but being too translucent looks especially bad to me.

I also miss the old days, when there was an equal number of villains for the heroes to fight. I feel like Ekimu can face off against Umarak, then three Toa can face off against the three beasts, while the remaining three Toa cheer from the sidelines. I know the smaller wave-size is based on sales (or lack thereof) numbers, but I would gladly trade another Ekimu for a well designed baddie.

MVT Lego Space Galactic Cruiser

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/593592ef-5da6-4a2a-9422-a17e0f8438ea

Please help and support this project! Your contribution is greatly appreciated. 

okay, the sets look sick!  Umarak =  :bigeek:  :nodlaugh:.  Ekimu looks awesome with that trans blue and it appears we are getting the mask of ultimate power with him.  The beasts look promising but not too enticing at the moment.

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI