Have LEGO ruined the Bionicle Timeline?

Fang RRB

In your own opinion, do you think that LEGO have ruined the Bionicle Timeline, with these new sets that are coming out, should they have just stuck with the timeline that we are used to?

NOTE: DO NOT JUDGE ANYONES OPINION!

1st post since 2014, YAY... 

Edited by Fang RRB

Check out our Youtube Channel

- www.youtube.com/user/randomreviewerbros -

For Bionicle Reviews:

Lego Reviews, Lego News, Gaming and lots of other stuff!!!

Not to be a pain, but since it's a reboot, it has nothing to do with the G1 timeline, technically.

But to humor you, now, I don't think they ruined it. I never really understood it when old fans (for the record, I've been a fan of Bionicle since 2001) of anything claim that a reboot which they don't like ruined the original.

It's a reboot. It didn't touch the original. The previous media/story/lore didn't cease to exist. If you preferred G1, it's not like it has been wiped from the space time continuum.

I'll be open here and say outright that I prefer G1, however it's not like there's a whole lot of G2 yet. That does not mean I dislike G2 at all - in fact, quite the opposite.

:kakama:

• Upvote 7

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I wished for more movies, in my opinion The Legend Reborn was a great movie and it really ended with a cliffhanger where I was left wanting for more and it never came along because of the sudden cancellation of BIONICLE G1 which sucked a lot for all us fans from the first generation.

The old timeline exists separately from the new one so no, G2 didn't ruin G1.

It was the online serials that did.

I agree 100% with this.

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Part of me thinks that the original timeline itself is the one to blame for its decadence. At some point in there, things began to become confused and complex...not to mention the whole 100000 years lifespan. I, for one, think that, with the right twists, Bionicle could (and maybe should) have ended in 2008. Storywise 2009-2010 introduced more than what was supposed to reveal, and setwise it was quite unoriginal.

But Bionicle is (and was) a toyline and a bad ending could never see the light of day. Oh well.

G2 is nice and did nothing wrong. That's it, I think the story could be handled better (maybe the Netflix series will deal with that) and that this year sets are...weird, but it's still Bionicle nonetheless.

• Upvote 2

We've been given hints that both G1 and G2 are connected. If this is a reincarnation sort of story, no, they haven't ruined it.

Imo, this was pretty well crafted. They've made a soul-sequel without having to go back to the original G1 story. It keeps it simple for the newer fans while also being a highly wanted sequel for the old fans.

At this point, I can't say for sure though. Until G2 is over, I won't be able to give my final opinion, they could completely screw it up for all I know.

Also, let's be reminded here, LEGO isn't out to screw us all over. Unlike the gaming industry, LEGO has to keep a younger audience entertained. How are they gonna do that? Make sure they give out good quality. Bionicle was LEGO's saving grace at one point, and I doubt they'll make a story just to say G2 has a story. LEGO gives quality, and they won't do something with bad intentions. At least I highly doubt they'll do that. They are a company after all, but one of the better ones imo.

Edited by Owlexander

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

They can't ruin the timeline if they don't even touch it.

G1 and G2 are independent of one another, with neither one affecting the other. This means that the G2 story can start fresh without all the baggage of G1's ten-year run, but it ALSO means that the G1 story is being preserved in its original state rather than being added to or retconned. A continuation of the original story would have a much greater chance of "ruining" the original timeline, either by changing things to adapt the story to a new audience or simply by eliminating the finality of the original story's resolution.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

G2 as far as we know so far (as everyone else has already said) is independent. It's a common theory that they could be connected, and if that were the case it would be interesting to see where and how that's the case. But since at least for now they are totally separate I don't think it's complicated. It's not difficult for me to see them and like them the way they are, though I know for some that seeing such a large and rich universe be left alone and a whole separate and smaller one started up could be a negative thing, just not for me though.

As for the serials and such, I personally hold the belief that they were for the most part interesting and cool but made some very questionable decisions. Though the universe still makes sense, it's gotten much more complicated with alternate dimensions and all that, resulting in some really convoluted things, like Tuyet being alive. Sure, it technically makes sense, but in terms of story telling it wasn't some of the better decisions made by Greg even if at the time it added a brief surprise factor.

• Upvote 1

I followed G1 really closely between 2001 and 2008 (didn't really care about the Bara Magna story, something that has recently changed), but I never did read the serials until now. I've read through most of it, finishing off the Spherus Magna ones now, and I actually really like them. I guess I'm a sucker for alternate dimensions, and since I raided BS01 beforehand and know most plot points, it's interesting to see how everything comes together. Personally, I find the needlessly over-complicated aspect of it to be charming. Honestly, I just wish there was a lot more of these things, especially ones set within the Matoran Universe during time periods not explored by written content yet. Too bad that won't happen anymore.

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

As is The Law Of The Internet, by virtue of being Something New (Bionicle G2) it has ruined and/or destroyed That Which Came Before (BIonicle G1).

You can tell that to the Amazing Spider-Man movies for ruining the original trilogy's story in 2002-2007.:P

Anyway, joking aside, Bionicle G2 never ruined the G1 storyline. It's just that the online serials were going to continue, but they stopped updating sadly. Greg Farshtey is answering people's questions about the unresolved things about it. Maybe, if Lego would somehow do something big for Bionicle during its 15th anniversary this year, they might wanna continue the G1 story as a desired birthday gift. It's like how Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltes had a treatment with a TV movie in its 25th anniversary in 2009 and Sonic the Hegdehog with Sonic Generations video game in its 20th anniversary in 2011. That would cheer you up, Fang RRB. Anyone approve of that idea?:) Just making an idea.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

As is The Law Of The Internet, by virtue of being Something New (Bionicle G2) it has ruined and/or destroyed That Which Came Before (BIonicle G1).

Honestly for the most part this does not feel true for the majority of the community and I think that people get this idea from the common conception that there's a large mass of people that hate anything new and feel this way when in reality it's only a small group of people either yelling about it or those who disagree with that group that like to be cynical and imagine the other end as being bigger and more ignorant than they really are.

In my mind it sometimes feels like the Bionicle community here has descended into an off version of politics between imaginary Bionicle conservatives and liberals when in reality for the most part it's somewhat sensible to be skeptical about what's new and it doesn't make one wrong to either like what came before for the mean time. It's like fan communities are trying to emulate politics but failing miserably to sound like they're making a point. This isn't anything against you or what you're saying but I don't think it's entirely fair to assume the majority or even significant number of people feel everything new is bad, as for the most part it seems like people are on board and accepting while recognizing points of contention, which is actually called having a qualified opinion which requires far more thought to put together than just leaning to one side or the other of "everything new will never live up to the old because false perceptions of life" or "everything new is way cooler because it's new".

And I'm not even gonna try to get into elitism in the Bionicle community and how that these creates false perceptions of mass opinion. All in all, don't underestimate the communities intelligence all the time, even though it often feels (and sometimes may well be) valid.

EDIT: It's almost really late here so I don't even know what came out of my mouth so apologies if I made a fool out of myself as usual lol sorry I need some sleep.

Edited by Banana Gunz

Its a reboot, so no. Even if you dont like it, you can easily separate the two Gens by saying its an alt dimension

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Ive always thought that Gen 2 is in the SUPER DUPER FUTURE in witch there no toa and Makuta and Ekimu are great decendant's of Makuta Teridax and Ekimu is embarrassed of Teridax but his brother appreciates his connection to Teridax and the new toa are the same G1 toa but they forgot everything after being Dead for a long time

That is my connection does it work maybe?

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

No, they're not related. And, if it bothers you, do what I do; don't consider it canon

I mean, it's technically NOT canon... to G1. Just like the G1 story isn't canon to G2. There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from ignoring either or both canons if they see fit.

I have to say when I first found out that G2 was going to be a reboot I was disappointed, then again I realise now that Lego wouldn't continue a storyline from five years ago, which started fifteen years ago, and then expect new fans to understand it. As for G2 ruining the G1 timeline, I can see it's been made perfectly clear that they aren't related in any way, so I won't dwell on that. What I will say, however, is that the G2 storyline is a little disappointing thus far. I know it's only the second year and we do have a Netflix series on the way, but last year's animations were too short to really explain anything. Of course there were the books and graphic novels, but I have yet to read those. In some ways I think the mix of media last year was a test to see what worked and what didn't, which I guess is also the case for the Netflix series, so hopefully it'll improve from now onwards.

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

I love how people think G1 and G2 aren't connected. They clearly are.

They might be, in the future. Presently, no firm connection has been made. Many people have different opinions on whether it'll stay that way. Some people would say they're clearly working towards a connection, others will say they clearly AREN'T working towards a connection. Some people will say nothing is clear at all. It all depends on your perspective.

I honestly think both extremes could stand to be a little less condescending and understand that not everybody sees things the same way. But no matter what you believe, the present state of things is that it's impossible to say for sure that they're a part of the same timeline, so it's not fair to say the Bionicle timeline has been "ruined". Even if they did decide link the two stories, it could be as alternate universes, or something else where they're not a part of the same timeline.

Edited by Aanchir

I love how people think G1 and G2 aren't connected. They clearly are.

Please explain? All I see are nudge-wink references.

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

LEGO didn't ruin anything about the timeline, G1 and G2 timelines are seperate, any connections aside, it doesn't ruin anything. The story is safe from that. And even if there is ever a connect, I hope that one wouldn't ruin or create conflict with the other.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Bringing back the same characters? The mask of time? Seems all too fishy to me, don't you agree? The nuva symbols? It's clear it's some kind of continuation as Lego kept trying to bring up the fact that "they're back!"

Or perhaps bringing back elements of the classic story can be explained by the fact that it's a reboot, and that's what reboots do. When the movie The Dark Knight introduced the Joker, it wasn't because there was some secret hidden connection between the new Joker and the one played by Jack Nicholson. It meant that it was a new version of the same character, in a new canon—nothing more, nothing less. There's no reason to think that the returning elements and symbols of the classic story in the new Bionicle aren't exactly the same sort of situation as that.

Not to mention the exact words used when first announcing they were bringing back the theme: "First of all, it's a reboot, so all the talks [sic], all the speculations, you can put them aside." That sure doesn't sound like they meant "It's some kind of continuation."

• Upvote 7

Nope i dont think so G2 is fine even if the pepper the new series with easter egg like G1 nuva style symbols. The only thing i consider ruined, is that a lot of unfinished plots in the G1 online serials were never finished.

If only Lego would consider someone to "officially" write and finish them, even if it doesn't have to be GregF but at least someone who might understand how GregF would think when planning the next step forward.

qs3135.jpg

Nope i dont think so G2 is fine even if the pepper the new series with easter egg like G1 nuva style symbols. The only thing i consider ruined, is that a lot of unfinished plots in the G1 online serials were never finished.

If only Lego would consider someone to "officially" write and finish them, even if it doesn't have to be GregF but at least someone who might understand how GregF would think when planning the next step forward.

As far as i can tell, Greg wrote those stories to be perpetual, so those unfinished serials would, upon conclusion, merely raise more questions than they answered, as if prepping for, oh, i dunno, more serials?

speaking of what ruined bionicle...

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

As far as i can tell, Greg wrote those stories to be perpetual, so those unfinished serials would, upon conclusion, merely raise more questions than they answered, as if prepping for, oh, i dunno, more serials?

speaking of what ruined bionicle...

Which can be avoided if all serials had all possible plotholes and possible questions taken into account and properly finished

qs3135.jpg

Which can be avoided if all serials had all possible plotholes and possible questions taken into account and properly finished

Actually, I think nothing would ruin the Bionicle story more. Not everything in the plot needs a complete solution; it's nice to leave the door always open for future adventures, if only for the imagination of the reader's sake.

Actually, I think nothing would ruin the Bionicle story more. Not everything in the plot needs a complete solution; it's nice to leave the door always open for future adventures, if only for the imagination of the reader's sake.

We're talking about getting closure on the existing serials, not finishing it. As Pratchett said, there is no end to a story, only the point where the teller stops speaking. Cleaning the serials up wouldn't prevent fan fiction and future stories, just resolution for "Lewa in Space" and the Red Star.

• Upvote 1

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

We're talking about getting closure on the existing serials, not finishing it. As Pratchett said, there is no end to a story, only the point where the teller stops speaking. Cleaning the serials up wouldn't prevent fan fiction and future stories, just resolution for "Lewa in Space" and the Red Star.

and solving the apprehending of velika (murderous great being in matoran body), getting Pohatu and Kopaka and possibly anyone else who is alive on board the Red Star back to Spherus Magna.

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

and solving the apprehending of velika (murderous great being in matoran body), getting Pohatu and Kopaka and possibly anyone else who is alive on board the Red Star back to Spherus Magna.

To be honest, that's one small part of why I am not fond of the idea of a continuation. I hated pretty much all of those plot lines, which were unnecessary at best and totally derailed old characters at worst. And I doubt any "closure" we could get for those would make them any less terrible.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

To be honest, that's one small part of why I am not fond of the idea of a continuation. I hated pretty much all of those plot lines, which were unnecessary at best and totally derailed old characters at worst. And I doubt any "closure" we could get for those would make them any less terrible.

That's the main problem. Connecting G2 up just begs the answers for these serials, when the original author still has no clue how he was going to resolve them. G2's clean break was probably the best approach they could take to bionicle after what we were left with. Either that, or declare the last few serials non-canon, but possible, and move on. Leave the world with Teridax defeated, the Matoran and Agori living together, and Velika with a hint of being the new mastermind. It'd be almost coming full circle from '01, with the hostile world, elemental tribes and scheming matoran-sized villain with power beyond our comprehension.

Couldn't agree more with this.