Looking for Flintsmith's Trans-Purple Kaukau

InkAlchemist1994

• 4 weeks later...

Bricklink

i think the whole point of posting about it here, is because no one has posted it on bricklink

Looking for rare Bionicle Promo Materials!

• Press Kits/Press Packs
  • Promo CD/DVDs
  • Style Guides
  • Promo posters/leaflets etc
  • Anything Unique or one of a kind!

Please message if you have anything of interest

Bricklink

i think the whole point of posting about it here, is because no one has posted it on bricklink
He did ask where to find it.

That is the best place to look.

Personally I go to eBay and look up mask to see what people are sell in huge lots.

You can find some rare ones if you look closely.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

The issue with this mask is that it is 100% custom; it's not a painted or modified Lego piece. BrickLink doesn't have it listed, and I check lots of masks on EBay daily.

From my understanding, Flintsmith didn't make too many of these, so I'm willing to bet that only BZPower members are likely to have one.

• Upvote 1
gallery_114868_370_4342.png

It actually IS a modified piece. It's a trans-white KauKau dyed purple. The problem is, that there are far too few of them. Honestly, I think you'll have a better chance of getting a trans-white KauKau and dyeing it purple yourself, than finding one of Flintsmith's. But I wish you luck finding it anyway!

P.S. Did you manage to hunt down that pearl-gold Kraahkan?

~ Flick

Yea, the purple masks were never officially made by Lego. But made my 'Flintsmith' hence the name. No one knows the dying apart from Flintsmith otherwise there would b hundreds of these things being made XD

Looking for rare Bionicle Promo Materials!

• Press Kits/Press Packs
  • Promo CD/DVDs
  • Style Guides
  • Promo posters/leaflets etc
  • Anything Unique or one of a kind!

Please message if you have anything of interest

The dyeing process is actually pretty straight-forward. There are numerous guides out there about dyeing Lego bricks.

What you do, is heat water in a pot until it is just below boiling-point. Then you add the dye. Once the mixture is properly prepared, you dip the brick/Kanohi inside, suspended on a metal wire. The longer you keep it submerged, the stronger color hue on the parts. After the dyeing process is complete, you leave the bricks suspended on open air. The paint will fully bond with the plastic. Once the process is finished, you have part that retains all the intricate details, unlike a painted one.

Things you have to keep on a lookout for:

1) Near-boiling water isn't exactly great for ABS plastic. If the water is too hot or the part is submerged for too long, the plastic might deform.

2) Color variations. Depending on how much dye is added into the mixture and the amount of time, during which the part is submerged, the color intensity will vary. Unless you mesure everything extremely precisely, each batch will somewhat differ.

3) You must take the original colour of the part into consideration. Dyes aren't paints. They don't cover the part, they merely transfer a "hue" to the plastic. It's recommended to dye colorless parts, otherwise the original colour will influence the final result. Now, this isn't always bad. Take other Flintsmith's Kanohi, for example. His metallic-purple Akaku is merely a metallic-silver Akaku, that recieved it's purple hue from the same dyeing process as the KauKau did. Or his "tangerine" translucent Miru. He took a trans-neon green Miru a dyed it orange (I presume) which resulted in an interesting colour.

The trick is to get the process right. Flintsmith himself said that he destroyed a few masks before successfully dyeing the Kanohi.

But other than that, the whole procedure is relatively simple. The question is, why aren't there more custom dyed Kanohi out there? Sure, the process is somewhat toxic, but still.

My friend and I, we decided to try dyeing Kanohi ourselves. We'll post the result on BZPower.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good luck!

Does the Trans-Purple KauKau have to be Flintsmith's? Either way, I'd like to see your collection. Do you have pictures of it? (Brickshelf, Flickr, etc.)

Well, we're not yet sure. We'll definately experiment with the trans-white KauKau. So far, I was thinking trans-purple and trans-brown. I also wanted a light-blue Fikou (as seen in Tales of the Tohunga) so I'll try dyeing the Onua claw light-blue. And of course, a pink Akaku. :-D

Well, I was looking for Flintsmith's Trans-Purple Kaukau, but that was before I knew they were relatively easy to make! I'd rather have one of my own than Flintsmith's!

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of my collection; they need proper displays before I show them off to the world! I have every variant of Mata and Nuva, every Metru, Hordika, Inika, Mahri, and Adaptive Armor mask, along with the Titans. I also have every Kraahkan variant (including the 5-Hole Chin misprint), and I have all of the Turaga variants including the McToran and the standard color misprints!

I need a Trans-Purple Kaukau, and the Trans-Dark Blue Kaukau (2015)! I also have some customs on order from a friend of mine in England (who I won't name because he doesn't normally do customs).

gallery_114868_370_4342.png

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

hi there, how are you? I know it's 5 years since this topic was published, but I have just decided on selling all of my Bionicle collection, and put a search in for this to find out some interest. I have a trans purple KauKau that I am willing to sell and was thinking of putting it up for auction on BZPower. Are you still interested in this mask?

On 3/26/2016 at 7:08 PM, InkAlchemist1994 said:

Well, I was looking for Flintsmith's Trans-Purple Kaukau, but that was before I knew they were relatively easy to make! I'd rather have one of my own than Flintsmith's!

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of my collection; they need proper displays before I show them off to the world! I have every variant of Mata and Nuva, every Metru, Hordika, Inika, Mahri, and Adaptive Armor mask, along with the Titans. I also have every Kraahkan variant (including the 5-Hole Chin misprint), and I have all of the Turaga variants including the McToran and the standard color misprints!

I need a Trans-Purple Kaukau, and the Trans-Dark Blue Kaukau (2015)! I also have some customs on order from a friend of mine in England (who I won't name because he doesn't normally do customs).

If you are still looking for an Inside Tour Kaukau I have one of those as well.

• Like 1
I discovered the Transblue G2 KauKau!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 4:02 PM, tritoa said:

hi there, how are you? I know it's 5 years since this topic was published, but I have just decided on selling all of my Bionicle collection, and put a search in for this to find out some interest. I have a trans purple KauKau that I am willing to sell and was thinking of putting it up for auction on BZPower. Are you still interested in this mask?

Im interested in