Interview With the Team Behind Journey to One!

SPIRIT

EPISODE NOW AVAILABLE

Hey everybody, SPIRIT here.

So through my work with the BS01 podcast, it looks like I have secured an interview with the production team behind LEGO Bionicle: The Journey to One.  We're still hammering out the details with the Volta PR team, but I am told it will be with top men.

Who?

180ghwuhr30ujjpg.jpg

Top.  Men.

UPDATE:

The interview will be with Producer Geneviève Savard and Director/Fx Supervisor Nicolas D. Robitaille.

But, this is where you come in.

What questions do you have for the folks at Volta who worked on The Journey to One?  Let me know, and I'll include the best questions in the interview.

Edited by SPIRIT
  • Upvote 7

Wow, neat that you're getting the chance to do this, and so soon after it came out. Pretty cool.

What I'd like to know is:

When did Lego order The Journey to One/when did it start being made/how did it come to be on Netflix...which is I guess three different questions, but like. Where did it come from? How far back did they start working on it? Was it before the 2015 animations were completed, or...?

AXKP5KC.png

I'd like to hear in general what sort of information LEGO provided them regarding the IP going into the project. An idea of how much time they had to make it would be neat, too. And of course, it has to be asked even if they won't be able to answer: can we expect more in 2017?

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Where's the love and heart that we saw in the original trilogy? Will the show get better?

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Where's the love and heart that we saw in the original trilogy? Will the show get better?

Isn't that a bit harsh? I mean sure it's not that good but I don't see how they weren't trying. The animation was really good and there were times when the toa's personalities were really shown off. And besides the originals aren't that great in hindsight. Don't get me wrong they were alright but they had a lot of problems. And besides they had to split two seperate 20 minute episodes into a story that tells of how six characters go through a challenge to get a mask (whilst having to give time to Umarak and setting up the plot) and go through a maze that also leads to another gold mask. That's not an easy task to do.

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Isn't that a bit harsh? I mean sure it's not that good but I don't see how they weren't trying. The animation was really good and there were times when the toa's personalities were really shown off. And besides the originals aren't that great in hindsight. Don't get me wrong they were alright but they had a lot of problems. And besides they had to split two seperate 20 minute episodes into a story that tells of how six characters go through a challenge to get a mask (whilst having to give time to Umarak and setting up the plot) and go through a maze that also leads to another gold mask. That's not an easy task to do.

I only asked, because that seems to be many peoples consensus over here on BZPower. Thats it's quite dissapponting. However, my actual question, from me (not that the first part wasn't from me), was the second question I wrote which was "Will the show get better?" I admit, I came off as a bit harsh, but, frankly, others came off even harsher than me. At least for me JtO wasn't a total cringefest as it was for many others.

But, my questions still stands. Will it get better?

pure_muscle.png

I only asked, because that seems to be many peoples consensus over here on BZPower. Thats it's quite dissapponting. However, my actual question, from me (not that the first part wasn't from me), was the second question I wrote which was "Will the show get better?" I admit, I came off as a bit harsh, but, frankly, others came off even harsher than me. At least for me JtO wasn't a total cringefest as it was for many others.

Fair enough. Although I doubt you're gonna get an answer to that as writers don't tend to directly answer to criticism.

It's time to move on.

Firstly, I think it's just downright disrespectful to ask a question like that considering the amount of effort these guys put into the show - imagine you went through the entire process of working hard to make something like this come to fruition, then agree to be interviewed by some curious fans, only to be slapped in the face by a question that implies that all your effort so far wasn't good enough.

It paints the fans as toxic and apathetic - these guys are human beings as well, so cut them some slack. The question sounds tactless and plain rude (alongside a few other fairly non-constructive critical questions posted in this thread).

Granted, I think this question can still be answered, with some rephrasing. For example: "Are we going to see more character-driven subplots?" or "Without spoiling too much, what can we expect from the final two episodes of the series?"

My questions would probably be:

1. How did you guys come to the decision to blend both 2D and 3D art in the creation of this series?
  2. What was the thought process behind the changes in adapting the real-life set designs of the characters to the modified designs of the TV series?
  3. Is it possible for you guys to upload storyboards/concept art for the series? I'd love to see the work in progress process and behind-the-scenes work.
Edited by Iku
  • Upvote 5

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

I should not be surprised the Bionicle community always has a strong connection with anyone working on Bionicle.

Will they be available in Blue Ray?

or better

Will there be a NEW Bionicle movie with the same animation?

Edited by Tahu3.0

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

Firstly, I think it's just downright disrespectful to ask a question like that considering the amount of effort these guys put into the show - imagine you went through the entire process of working hard to make something like this come to fruition, then agree to be interviewed by some curious fans, only to be slapped in the face by a question that implies that all your effort so far wasn't good enough.

It paints the fans as toxic and apathetic - these guys are human beings as well, so cut them some slack. The question sounds tactless and plain rude (alongside a few other fairly non-constructive critical questions posted in this thread).

Granted, I think this question can still be answered, with some rephrasing. For example: "Are we going to see more character-driven subplots?" or "Without spoiling too much, what can we expect from the final two episodes of the series?"

My questions would probably be:

1. How did you guys come to the decision to blend both 2D and 3D art in the creation of this series?
  2. What was the thought process behind the changes in adapting the real-life set designs of the characters to the modified designs of the TV series?
  3. Is it possible for you guys to upload storyboards/concept art for the series? I'd love to see the work in progress process and behind-the-scenes work.

Why do I even bother asking anymore?

pure_muscle.png

Did you or anyone on the team working on Journey to One have any knowledge of or interest in the Bionicle line before starting work on the series?

How long has this series been in the production pipeline? When did Lego enlist your company/team to start this project?

Also, while not a question for the interview, I must ask: When is the interview so people know how long they have to submit questions for it?

Edited by FordianL at the BCC
  • Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Did you or anyone on the team working on Journey to One have any knowledge of or interest in the Bionicle line before starting work on the series?

How long has this series been in the production pipeline? When did Lego enlist your company/team to start this project?

Also, while not a question for the interview, I must ask: When is the interview so people know how long they have to submit questions for it?

Those questions are really GOOD!!!

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I love the show and I'm very pleased with how it's turned out.

What are some things you've learned in the process of making JTO and are there anything you would have done differently if you could?

Are there any key elements/themes you wanted to stress in the JTO episodes?

Overall, what was the process of development like and what kind of problems did you face during the production of JTO? Going along with that what was the hardest part about making JTO?

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

Thanks again SPIRIT!

The background in video game animation definitely read in the series' visual style - the most obvious example for me was actually the 'shadow spawn' - they stand in what I could only describe as an idle animation.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend