Bionicle Toa mata Collector packs.

Chemomancer

Hi. In the interest of putting up a display of the Toa Mata in a display case, I recently went about combing through every single one of my childhood legos (yes, one by one... took weeks), to try to gather all of the pieces necessary to rebuild them. Sadly, being the toy-abusive child I was, many of the key components (I.E. things other than axles that are unique to the sets) are missing. Pic. related.

20160311_105022_zpswggfnyqa.jpg

If you guys are observant you will also notice damage to Lewa's torso at the shoulder, and more significantly, a complete break in Onua's arm (held together by an axle connector piece temporarily).

This has prompted me to go about replacing them, and to go about reconstructing the Toa Nuva in this manner instead, being that I had two of each of them, and thus their pieces are more common in my old bins.

Today I went about purchasing a collector pack containing Toa Mata Lewa, Gali, and Kopaka, as well as their respective Turaga, specifically set 65025, which to my understanding was a 2001 Costco exclusive.

s-l300.jpg

It is scheduled to arrive on the 16th, however searches regarding a similar collector pack for the other 3 original Toa have yielded nothing. To summarize my way too long-winded post... Does a Collector pack for Tahu, Pohatu, and Onua, including their respective Turaga counterparts, even exist? I find it weird that they would make a combo pack for the Kaita Wairuha Toa, and not Akamai's...

Edit: Fixed a few minor grammar issues.

Edited by Chemomancer

Huh.  I'd never known of this particular set before, and there don't seem to be many online records related to this set.  It's not even listed on Brickipedia, which seems to have a rather exhaustive list of various Bionicle set collections.  Once you receive the set, perhaps its packaging or an included insert could reveal further details regarding whether a Tahu-Onua-Pohatu box set ever existed.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

I remember the existence of the Wairuha combo pack, but I too cannot find a single shred of information regarding an Akamai pack. If it turns out that there is one out there, there is no proof of it on this fine internet that I've found. I'm still going to try to find evidence of this set's existence, but I don't know if I'll ever find anything.  I wish you luck in finding one, but if you can't, getting the other three Toa separately probably wouldn't be a bad choice either.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

After contacting the seller, I can confirm that the collector packs are exceedingly rare, as they have been selling Bionicle and other Lego sets for well over a decade, and this is the only one that they have ever come across. If an Akamai set is out there, I am guessing it is just as rare. It seems I've stumbled on a gem  :) .

Idk what procedures would be necessary to prove the legitimacy of the set in order to have it uploaded to Brickipedia, but to be sure I have made plans to go about that before I worry about anything else, such as my display. Assuming this set is truly that uncommon, I feel that I need to make sure it is known at least to exist.

Man... if the pack is that rare, I'd feel a little conflicted about opening it. Used or opened Bionicle sets can be obtained for relatively cheap, which might be a better way to get the parts you need without breaking open a piece of Bionicle history like that. Of course, it's your choice. :notsure:

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Man... if the pack is that rare, I'd feel a little conflicted about opening it. Used or opened Bionicle sets can be obtained for relatively cheap, which might be a better way to get the parts you need without breaking open a piece of Bionicle history like that. Of course, it's your choice. :notsure:

I came here to say this.

I mean, wouldn't having something sealed like that alongside the open Mata be awesome?

• Upvote 1

I would feel conflicted about opening it as well, but hey man, i know that magical feeling of opening a new vintage bionicle set and knowing that it is yours and that you alone have touched it. Sealed classic bionicle is only getting rarer as time goes on, so if it were me I would keep it sealed. But then again, you can unlock the mystical feeling of opening the original sets just like you could back then. So really there is no single right answer, just use your own judgement! Over and out.

Of COURSE I feel conflicted about opening it, I don't think any collector in their right mind wouldn't, but as I said above, my own thoughts regarding putting them on display I've put aside for the moment. First and foremost, I want to prove the set's legitimacy, so that it can be added to Brickipedia, however I need to do that. If I need to open it on video or something in order to, then that solves the moral dilemma for me. If not, and there is a way to go about it that does not involve opening it to view the contents, then I will have to think long and hard about it.

Personally... I was never too fond of the idea of 'collector's value' 'if it is in the box it is worth more' anyway. I don't see a point to owning a rare item that... you will never actually get the opportunity to even so much as see, and while certain things like barbie dolls come with windows in the packaging to at least give some credence to the thought... Bionicle does not. This is only my general thought on the matter, however. The rarity of the item in question definitely is making me think a lot more on the matter.

As an update, I have myself made a Brickipedia page regarding this pack, and added all the information I've been able to find about the pack to it http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/65025_Bionicle_Collector_Pack .

So far the only key information missing is its original price. What is more unhelpful is that there are four regions, though, being an exclusive, it may have only even been available in one region for all I know.

Edit: Double post merged.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

Based on the short snippet of video that you included on the Brickipedia page (around 3:30, if anyone's wondering), it seems likely that there's nothing of interest inside the box aside from the six included sets.  Obviously, it's totally up to you whether you want to open it or leave it sealed, but I don't think opening it would provide any clues towards the existence of an Akamai box set.  It would be nice, though, to be able to see all six sides of the box's exterior; perhaps some of the fine print could be a lead.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

WOW this is awesome, may I ask where you are buying this from? And also how much for?

EDIT: Lol I found the listing you bought it from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Bionicle-65025-Mata-Nui-Collector-Pack-NEW-8535-Lewa-8536-Kopaka-8533-Gali-/381479106728?nma=true&si=lPfnrDKs%252FzDlFFS3hEIgrS4eyfo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

To echo what's been said, those packs are extremely rare and I wouldn't open it if I were you. I believe there was another one for the other six sets, but I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

Lego's done this with a few set lines. There were packs like this for the Bohrok, Toa Nuva, Vahki, Toa Metru and Piraka, and possibly others I'm not aware of. They're all considered very rare collectibles.

-L

• 2 weeks later...

I never knew about this specific Collector Pack. Man, now I'm obliged to hunt it down for my collection. *exhales in exasperation*

Personally, I wouldn't open it if I were you. This set is just too valuable. Plus, the box is absolutely fabulous! I'd rather display the box, than the actual sets. But then again, I get your stance aswell. Recently, I bought a MISB Manas set. Opening it and building the new bricks was to die for, even though I felt a bit guilty along the way. Oh well, it's purely up to you to decide.

~ Flick