LEGO.com Turns 20 Years Old

On March 22, 1996 — exactly 20 years ago today — the first official LEGO website was launched. Featuring a grey field of studs as a backdrop and a scattering of animated GIFs, the website was decidedly low-tech by today's standards, but over the years it developed into the site we know and love today. You can view an archived copy of the site from November 1996 via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Follow this link or read on for the LEGO Group's own press release from a week after the site's launch!

View the full article

• Upvote 2

The Lego website and its content was at its best in the mid-2000s.

Personally the early 2000s had a lot of the games I have the fondest memories of. Mata Nui Online Game, Junkbot/Junkbot Undercover, and Supersonic RC FTW!

With that said, there have been some pretty great LEGO online games since then. The Hero Factory Breakout online game was phenomenal, with beautiful level designs, fairly intuitive controls, and great character customization. It was kind of buggy sometimes, but having grown up on Nintendo 64 platformers that was pretty bearable, especially for a free online game.

Personally the early 2000s had a lot of the games I have the fondest memories of. Mata Nui Online Game, Junkbot/Junkbot Undercover, and Supersonic RC FTW!

With that said, there have been some pretty great LEGO online games since then. The Hero Factory Breakout online game was phenomenal, with beautiful level designs, fairly intuitive controls, and great character customization. It was kind of buggy sometimes, but having grown up on Nintendo 64 platformers that was pretty bearable, especially for a free online game.

Yes, Supersonic RC was awesome! :D

Well, I never really liked the Hero Factory Breakout online game, the graphics being rather awful (although I realize the game was designed to be able to run on mobile devices) and the gameplay being ludicrous. What is the point of a shooter with auto-targetting? That aspect alone sucked all the joy out of that game, but maybe, that's just me.

In my opinion, the last really good BIONICLE/HF-related online game was Creep Crushers, having beautiful design and being generally comical and fun. Yes, there have been some good LEGO games since the mid-2000s, but I dare say the number of good games has actually decreased, even taking nostalgia into consideration. I particularly miss games with story-telling, Robot Chronicles (which I really enjoyed, by the way) being the last game I recall to have actually told some kind of story. I am actually very surprised that the focus of LEGO games has seemingly completely moved away from story-telling, as I consider the latter to be essential to boost a child's imagination. We, at least, would often draw our inspiration from the LEGO games, expanding the universe from the stories of those games and creating new stories around those to play with actual LEGO.

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

This is the single most true post you will ever find on the internet.

What I wouldn't give to go back to the good old days. Before social media, before smartphones. Back when kids played with toys instead of tablets, and when people actually talked to each other instead of texting.

Where did everything go so wrong?

• Upvote 2

why is this happening

What I wouldn't give to go back to the good old days. Before social media, before smartphones. Back when kids played with toys instead of tablets, and when people actually talked to each other instead of texting.

Me, personally, I miss the good ol' days before your good ol' days, when time for leisure was short, because we were busy hunting and gathering our food. Kids these days are so lazy. None of 'em even knows how to properly drive a mammoth off a cliff with fire, I tell you what.

• Upvote 10

I'd say the fact that LEGO's sales numbers have been constantly increasing for several years proves that there is still a very great interest in old-fashioned toys. And anyway, "back in my days" kids played on a Gameboy or online (or not online) games on a PC. I don't see too much of a difference to playing with tablets but if there is I'd love to hear it.

And I'm pretty sure that the fact that people can now text in addition to talking doesn't mean there is less communication, it means there is more.

• Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I've never seen what the Lego website looked like back in 1996. Probably because I was only 5 years old at the time. :P Its really cool to see what it was in the past and compare it to what it is now. 

If you find a way to go back to those days, please take me with you. I miss them as well.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png