LEGO Ninjago Movie Details Beginning to Emerge

This Monday, the listing for the upcoming LEGO Ninjago motion picture on MovieInsider.com was updated with a number of new details. First, according to the updated info, pre-production has wrapped up and the movie is officially in production. Second, a poster has been added, which now bills it as The LEGO Ninjago Movie rather than just as LEGO Ninjago. Third, a synopsis has been added, seemingly confirming the movie as a very different take on the Ninjago story than what we're used to from the TV show. Read on to see what we mean!

View the full article

Well if that's the case then I think that's the worst way they could have handled this. A high school comedy, are they serious? Because as we all know people will want to go see a ninjago movie for a high school comedy. I mean whilst I don't really care for ninjago there is plenty of material to make a film. It may not have been the most original film but it would have been better then a high school comedy. 

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Gagmadon?! High School, there are in there 20s, not high school.... PLEASE DONT LEAVE TO BE THIS NINJAGO... STAY A TV SHOW!!!

The older synopsis appears to describe the show, not the movie. It's taken straight from this article, and "Gagmadon" is probably just a typo made by a hasty journalist. The new synopsis which I quoted in the story is probably a better reflection of what the actual movie will be like.

Also, I see so many people assuming the ninja from the show are in their 20s, but I don't think their ages have ever actually been confirmed...

Don't worry, people. If it turns out to be bad, we could just pretend this movie never existed or that it's just a strange alternate universe of sorts.

I mean, judging from the synopsis, it's probably going to be an alternate universe from the events of the TV show whether it's good or not. And I see no reason to think it won't be good. In spite of all the unbridled outrage I'm seeing about this news, there's nothing inherently wrong with movies or shows about high schoolers. Nor is there anything inherently wrong with alternate universe versions of beloved characters.

As long as the portrayal of the ninja remains faithful to the show in terms of characterization, I think it stands a good chance of being enjoyable. And since the Hageman brothers, the same writers who have been in charge of the LEGO Ninjago TV series since the very beginning, are writing the screenplay of the movie, I don't think there's any reason to fear that they won't "get" what people love about the TV show's world and characters.

I can't pretend to know WHY the creators of the movie decided on this premise. But I don't think it really merits the kind of knee-jerk reaction I've been seeing. Let's not forget that before the Ninjago theme first came out, a lot of people in the LEGO community thought it sounded utterly cliche, stupid, and likely to fail miserably. Same with when we got our first news about The LEGO Movie. We've seen how wrong all those early naysayers were. Do we really want to put ourselves in that same boat?

• Upvote 8

I always thought that Ninjago had sort of a Power Rangers vibe. I'm surprised that the movie looks like it will manage to have even more of one.

While I am not against a Lego Movie styled film, I kind of would have liked one that was a very polished version of the TV series.

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I actually really like this idea. :P

I mean, it actually makes more sense, given the already somewhat modern setting of Ninjago. We hardly got to see much of their daily lives in the TV show, but now we get to see them in high school! (Even though it makes it all the more obvious that it's basically LEGO's Power Rangers...) XD

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

Well, this is surprising. The ninja going to high school? What's that? An alternate universe that is like The Amazing Spider-Man movie series; a superhero story that takes place in a high school? Why can't the movie follow the story in the TV series? I don't know why there is this idea of high school. Maybe the Ninja would either become students (doubt it, because they are in their 20's) or they serve as teachers (hopefully that means following the TV series)?

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

This series has had skeleton-themed hotrods, snake helicopters, and a pirate genie, all in the same mishmash universe, and all of you are acting like making the ninja highschoolers is the most ridiculous thing this movie could have done.

Granted, I don't follow Ninjago, and don't currently plan to, so perhaps it's just that I'm less emotionally invested in this movie. It just seems silly to me to already say you're going to hate this movie just because they took indeterminately-aged characters and put them in a high school setting.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand why so many people are freaking out about this. Granted: The new setting implies that the movie will be taking place in another universe and the characters won't be the Ninja we have seen develop and come to love from the TV series, meaning that we will be less emotionally invested.

That may be a donwside, but it doesn't make the movie awful (yet). We don't know the plot and we haven't seen a single trailer so far! Calling out for boycotting the movie at this point is ridiculous and highly irrational. For all we know, it's still our beloved Ninja, but at High School.

Now, if they were to change the actual personalities of Ninja, THAT would be a major aspect to be upset about, and I sincerely hope they are not planning on doing that.

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Hhmmmm, it sounds almost as if they plan on redoing the first two or three years of the Ninjago storyline in one go. I'm actually quite interested in what will wind up happening now....

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

I'm not watching this.

It wouldn't be hard to make a stand-alone film that could still be in the same "world" as the TV series.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was a theatrical spin-off film of an animated series that a viewer didn't need prior knowledge of. C'mon, it's not that hard!

One key difference there is that the Batman mythos was already familiar to several generations of moviegoers, and the details of that mythos in Batman: The Animated Series didn't vary too much from the usual formula. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was also originally written as a direct-to-video movie and despite critical acclaim it was a box office failure, so it's maybe not the best example to pick.

Ninjago is a much different case than Batman. It's a property that has only existed for five or six years. Despite its size and importance as a LEGO property, it's not nearly as much of a fixture in the global pop culture landscape. As such, a lot of filmgoers couldn't tell you the first thing about Ninjago. Dumping them in the middle of a story they've never heard that's had all kinds of insane plot twists and expecting them to quickly find their bearings might be a bit too optimistic. It'd have to be written as a largely stand-alone story, which in and of itself would be a departure from the TV series since Ninjago, compared to some other TV series like Pokémon and My Little Pony, tends to be incredibly continuity-driven.

I agree with you that writing a Ninjago theatrical film that exists in the same universe as the TV series would not be impossible. But it would be extremely difficult and fairly risky. Frankly, I don't think the LEGO Group's choice not to take that route is reason enough to decide against seeing the movie when all we have to judge it by are a few flimsy details. If more details continue to emerge that you don't like, then you'll have a stronger justification for choosing not to see the movie.

• Upvote 4

Do we know why the summer sets have Master Chin and Skeleton dudes in them? With two realms gone who's to say that all of reality won't unravel and reset.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Do we know why the summer sets have Master Chin and Skeleton dudes in them? With two realms gone who's to say that all of reality won't unravel and reset.

The summer sets actually seem to be split between two story arcs—a continuation of the Skybound theme (with the same pirate flag in the corner), and a new season focused on Cole and an assemblage of past villains led by Sensei Yang.

I doubt there'll be any major reboot of the Ninjago storyline, though. Mainly because I doubt the movie continuity is the same as the TV continuity, and I doubt that the movie continuity would supplant the TV series continuity when all is said and done.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Gagmadon?! High School, there are in there 20s, not high school.... PLEASE DONT LEAVE TO BE THIS NINJAGO... STAY A TV SHOW!!!

Actually we don't know how old they are but the writers have that they're teenagers, and Kirby Morrow (Cole's voice actor) said Cole was 14 in an interview in 2012 (he's probably older now because of the time skip between Season 2 and Rebooted).