BB-8 Rolls Past Goal

A new project at LEGO Ideas has reached its goal of ten thousand votes of support. The Rolling BB-8 was created by mjsmiley and artbot138 and expertly captures one of the coolest characters from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. While at first glance it just looks like a good model of the now-famous droid, when put on a special base or the floor, the model can roll with the head staying in place on the top of the body! It's certainly a cool function and one that I'm sure many AFOLs will like to see in practice. Do you think it will manage to get past the review phase and turn into an actual set? Let us know in the Talkback!

View the full article

I'm surprised Lego hasn't made a set like this for BB-8 yet. Knowing how popular it is, I think it would sell really well. 

Anyways, this projects great and I'm not surprised it got to the review stage. I wish it good luck in that stage.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Are those magnet elements still in use? Brickset's inventory system suggests the magnet elements haven't been used in almost a decade, which suggests to me they might be retired. Considering their importance to this project, that seems like a barrier to approval.

It's very clever, and I'd be happy to see it get approved, but I'm not optimistic.

Are those magnet elements still in use? Brickset's inventory system suggests the magnet elements haven't been used in almost a decade, which suggests to me they might be retired. Considering their importance to this project, that seems like a barrier to approval.

It's very clever, and I'd be happy to see it get approved, but I'm not optimistic.

It's a brilliant project, but yes, the magnet problem seems likely to doom any "rolling BB-8" project unless somebody can find a solution. Not only are those old-school magnets discontinued, but LEGO literally cannot introduce new magnet elements that small because magnets small enough to swallow violate EU safety laws. Even in North America magnets like that would require filling like half the front of the box with warning labels.

The only LEGO magnet elements I know of that are still in production are the pre-assembled train buffers with magnetic couplings, which are too bulky for this project and probably not strong enough for the larger and more rugged Technic BB-8 project. Though I DID support that project, since it feels to me like it has better chances of a solution presenting itself before it reaches review than with this one.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this will ever pass because this BB-8 model will compete with Disney's other BB-8 toys already on shelves. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I don't think this will ever pass because this BB-8 model will compete with Disney's other BB-8 toys already on shelves. 

There's never been a problem with Lego X-Wings competing with other X-Wing toys. Or with Lego Millennium Falcons competing with other Millennium Falcon toys. Of all the likely roadblocks this project will encounter, I think competing with non-Lego Star Wars products is probably one of the least of its concerns.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother