Avenue Loss

fishers64

BZPower used to be an avenue to make changes to the Bionicle "canon", through story contests, art contests, and even MoC contests. Now that has dried up...  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had a dream...

...that turned into an idea...that turned into a poll. 

Because dreams are better with polls. And also because dreams becoming reality is awesome...except when it's not. 

Whatever. Go VOOOOOOOOOOTE!

(also this is not related to my contest why would you think that)

• Upvote 1

I mean, it's nice to get little side stories approved to expand the universe, but really unless your contribution appears in official print, it doesn't mean much.

For example, the Toa Mangai: an out-of-the-blue fan suggestion that made its way into the web serials.  This was an example of a genuine fan addition to the storyline.  Or even the Rahi Beasts and Dark Hunters guides: fan-made content that helped to expand the universe and received official ascension to canon status.

Then we've got other contributions like say, oh I don't know, The Dweller Report.  Hey, nice that it's officially canon, but if it's not referenced in any official part of the story, does it really mean anything?

That being said, it was nice to have such a direct line of communication to the guy behind the storyline and fairly regular updates to the goings on in the Bionicle world.

I answered neutral to question one. Interacting with GregF was indeed a big part of why I joined the site, but I had no intention to "make my mark" on the story, and I think such a goal would frankly be a little selfish. The main point of GregF's interaction with the fandom originally wasn't to canonize fan theories or anything like that, but rather for him to answer questions about the storyline. The occasional canonization was just a side effect of that, and one that sort of spiraled out of control over time.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind a story or MOC contest in the future that could potentially have a winner canonized. But I don't know if BZPower is the place for that anymore, considering the inability to directly correspond with Lego employees. And I have no pretensions that such a thing would "improve" the story. I would much prefer something where the goal was to CONTRIBUTE to the story with little details like wildlife, minor characters, or short side-stories. Too often the majority of G1 canon contributions crossed that line, and I'm not keen on seeing a return to that.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

1. I vote positive, though that only played a really small part for me to join BZP.

2. Writing a better story. Or least a side short story. I highly doubt Lego will host official story contests for Gen 2 Bionicle, and I wouldn't be mad if they didn't do that. But if one was ever held, I probably enter it.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

When I first joined BZPower I was too young to care about anything the site had added to the lore of Bionicle.

At the time, I was just happy to be taking part in conversations relating to Bionicle with like-minded individuals.

As for G2, I haven't been able to get invested into the lore of it. Not that there's much lore to go off of just yet anyway.

I could be tempted to do a whole reworking of the G2 storyline and create my own universe, but I just don't know if I can put in the time or effort right now.

Edited by You just lost the game

67685335.jpg             

I mean, it's nice to get little side stories approved to expand the universe, but really unless your contribution appears in official print, it doesn't mean much.

For example, the Toa Mangai: an out-of-the-blue fan suggestion that made its way into the web serials.  This was an example of a genuine fan addition to the storyline.  Or even the Rahi Beasts and Dark Hunters guides: fan-made content that helped to expand the universe and received official ascension to canon status.

Then we've got other contributions like say, oh I don't know, The Dweller Report.  Hey, nice that it's officially canon, but if it's not referenced in any official part of the story, does it really mean anything?

That being said, it was nice to have such a direct line of communication to the guy behind the storyline and fairly regular updates to the goings on in the Bionicle world.

What he said.

• Upvote 1

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky