BIONICLE Teaser in RoboRider Set

Illuminatus

A while ago I stumbled onto a peculiar eBay auction, with a used 8516 "The Boss" RoboRider set, where there appeared to be a booklet advertising the Toa Mata. There was no box included, so I just assumed the seller had mixed their sets up; it happens, right?

Then today I saw another auction with the same set in much better condition, original box included, and the SAME 2001 teaser/ad booklet for BIONICLE 2001. Have a look right here.

I wanted to ask if anybody knew how common this thing was? As far as I can tell, it's only been available in US packages of the set (maybe in later releases?), which is sad, because I recently bought one from the Netherlands in mint condition, hoping I'd maybe find the little booklet in there.

Does anybody also have any idea if it's on BrickLink under any name? I'm having a hard time finding it, and honestly it seems pretty neat.

• Upvote 1

Nono, this booklet in particular doesn't have any comic in it. Its basically like any other medium set pack-in catalog of the period (example), the key difference being that it was thinner and advertised only related themes (Technic, Mindstorms, etc - I don't remember specifically what all it had and I don't have any of mine on-hand either).

Interesting that this was packed with Roboriders, though. Must be unique to however many were produced in 2001 (or even just summer 2001).

Maybe you're thinking of these sorts of things, Nescent? They started up in 2002.

EDIT: Found it!

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 5

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I had this leaflet/mini-catalog. Possibly more than one, actually. It was probably included in most or even all 2001 Technic sets from North America. It was possibly my first glimpse of the Bionicle theme.

Here's the Bricklink listing. They're not very expensive at all.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, guys, you are awesome!

As for that Bohrok comic booklet, Pereki, I have a single copy of it that came with my first Bohrok set, all the others were updated with the green glow around the logo and other minor details. I figure it may be a bit rare?

EDIT: I gotta say though, whoever designed that catalog cover did a horrible job. The BIONICLE logo is way too close to the upper margin, the drop shadow is at a ridiculous distance, and that stretched 2001 is just plain ugly. And why is it white!? :D

Edited by Illuminatus

Maybe you're thinking of these sorts of things, Nescent? They started up in 2002.

Lol, I didn't know that there were two versions of this comic. In those which I've got from Bohrok sets bought in Poland the only spoken words are "Mata Nui" by narrator and "Bohrok!" by Jala (here are scans). And as Illuminatus said, they have much more glowing Bionicle logo. Does the same happened to Rahkshi, Toa Nuva and Bohrok Kal promo comics? Are there two versions?

Lol, I didn't know that there were two versions of this comic. In those which I've got from Bohrok sets bought in Poland the only spoken words are "Mata Nui" by narrator and "Bohrok!" by Jala (here are scans). And as Illuminatus said, they have much more glowing Bionicle logo. Does the same happened to Rahkshi, Toa Nuva and Bohrok Kal promo comics? Are there two versions?

As far as I know they streamlined the process for all the later ones and only made the no-language versions. At least, I never got any with English text in my sets - excluding the Toa Metru one the BS01 has scans of. It was printed in French and English for NA, I dunno how they handled it for Europe (or if the comics were even included there).

• Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I dunno how they handled it for Europe (or if the comics were even included there).

Yeah, we had those here in Europe. I have atleast five of them. They were the alternative to the mini-CDs included in the promo-CD versions of the Toa Metru sets. If I recall correctly, there was text, but only the names of the characters, such as the names of the Toa and the Matoran.

~ Flick

• Upvote 1

I actually had a closer look at those scans now, the variation of the booklet that I have has no text at all, but the cover is still without glow around the logo and the last page also has an ad for The Legend of Mata Nui.

Guess there were more variations than I thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I've definitely seen that catalog before, and I feel like I may even have it somewhere. Which is weird, because I don't think I ever owned any non-BIONICLE Technic sets.

It was included in the larger (I think Nui-Jaga and up) Rahi sets too.

Edited by Pereki