So, what happened to the Fans?

Xboxtravis

I have noticed a disturbing trend in the Bionicle community the last few months. Across websites, fans are getting more hostile and more negative, there is a lot of doom and gloom and sour debates. I have seen it a bit here on BZp, but most surprising to me is a large uptick of it on Eurobricks during the last few days.

What is it making fans so upset? I know there are a lot of possibilities the line will end in 2017, but is it really the end of the world as some make it to be? Or on the other side, can our perceptions on 'how the line is selling' based on our own observations and not impericall fact, be a reason for panic?

Furthermore I know a lot of us don't like the story direction right now (I for one disliked JtO) but is that another reason to panic?

I don't know, I have just been seeing a lot of paranoia all across the web with respectable people acting like trolls. It is frustrating, and honestly makes me have less desire to read Bionicle forums. The fan community is starting to drive me nuts with this behavior.

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 6

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I have noticed a disturbing trend in the Bionicle community the last few months. Across websites, fans are getting more hostile and more negative, there is a lot of doom and gloom and sour debates. I have seen it a bit here on BZp, but most surprising to me is a large uptick of it on Eurobricks during the last few days.

What is it making fans so upset? I know there are a lot of possibilities the line will end in 2017, but is it really the end of the world as some make it to be? Or on the other side, can our perceptions on 'how the line is selling' based on our own observations and not impericall fact, be a reason for panic?

Furthermore I know a lot of us don't like the story direction right now (I for one disliked JtO) but is that another reason to panic?

I don't know, I have just been seeing a lot of paranoia all across the web with respectable people acting like trolls. It is frustrating, and honestly makes me have less desire to read Bionicle forums. The fan community is starting to drive me nuts with this behavior.

I'm glad it's not just me that's noticed this. There's been an aura of negativity around Bionicle G2 since it started, but lately it's gotten even more widespread and pessimistic. I would wager it's coming largely from the rumors that Bionicle will be ending next year, possibly even with a limited set release. I don't know if I'd give those rumors any credence, but regardless of their origins, they've been enough to validate the naysayers' opinions of the theme and bring the haters out of the woodwork. Regardless of the state of the theme, I worry that the fandom itself is on the negative trajectory that drove me away from BZPower and Bionicle discussion in general back in 2010. And I worry that unless we get some verifiably good news soon, that kind of attitude will be hard to shake.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I, too, am seeing a lot of paranoia and I am scratching my head at what some people are saying as far as the future of Bionicle and the constructible action figure category on the whole. 

Maybe Bionicle isn't doing well? If this is the case, they'll still be able to give it some form of an ending in 2017. However, as many have said already, we don't have exact sales figures for the line in 2015.

If it's doing well in the market, that's great! Perhaps we will see more after the initial 2017 "end date".

I've seen a few posts on multiple different sites that suggest that if Bionicle ends, the only Constraction line will be Star Wars, and then eventually that may end leaving no more Constraction for the future. This, to me, does not make any sense, especially for the fact that fans of Constraction are the ones claiming such things.

Allow me to provide an example of which I can relate this situation to. A few years ago, the game developer BioWare released statistics for Mass Effect 3, specifically for the six classes that the player could choose from to play the game. One of the classes, the Engineer, had 5.1% of all players who played the game. This was revealed during a press conference with the developers where they stated some thing to the effect (no pun intended) of: "We know that very few people play as the Engineer, and fans always ask us why we keep that class. Our answer is that we keep the Engineer class because there are people out there who like playing as the Engineer. If no one played as the Engineer then maybe we would get rid of it, but seeing as people do, we still see it as an integral part of the game experience."

TLG knows that there are still fans of Constraction themes out there, so it wouldn't make sense to suddenly stop producing sets for that part of their consumer base. If this is the case, there will most likely be another line of Constraction-based sets after Bionicle ends. I'm sure that more than 10% of Lego buyers have a Constraction-based set, so I really don't see Constraction going away any time soon.

• Upvote 8

I'm glad it's not just me that's noticed this. There's been an aura of negativity around Bionicle G2 since it started, but lately it's gotten even more widespread and pessimistic. I would wager it's coming largely from the rumors that Bionicle will be ending next year, possibly even with a limited set release. I don't know if I'd give those rumors any credence, but regardless of their origins, they've been enough to validate the naysayers' opinions of the theme and bring the haters out of the woodwork. Regardless of the state of the theme, I worry that the fandom itself is on the negative trajectory that drove me away from BZPower and Bionicle discussion in general back in 2010. And I worry that unless we get some verifiably good news soon, that kind of attitude will be hard to shake.

Yes, I know as a kid one of the reasons I stopped buying Bionicle sets in 2007 was my first exposure to online nay-sayers including those that were here on BZp at the time. It seems fans get hostile really easily online, and it can unknowingly disuade other fans from participating in a forum. I definitely have been participating on BZp a bit less since the negativity has started, and over on Eurobricks I find myself commenting less on the Bionicle discussion there.

Eurobricks though has also been the place that I noticed this "panic" is a trait of Bionicle fans, by comparing the Bionicle fan reaction vs. the Lego train fans reaction on the Train Tech forum on Eurobricks. There are plenty of fans upset about the limited train releases; yet rather than panic they discuss how to get train ideas on Lego Ideas, they support 3rd party groups such as Big Ben Bricks and ME rails, and they keep on making MOC's. I wish the Bionicle fandom would take a similar approach, rather than mudslinging, trolling, and flaming other Bionicle fans.

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 3

While the kind of negativity some sites have been seeing is a bit upsetting, I don't know if I'd consider it cause for alarm. When the Bionicle theme was announced to be returning there was a lot of hype surrounding it. As that hype diminishes and we enter a "dry spell" between new set and media releases, people are bound to get antsy.

Recently, when I was working on a story for the BZPower front page, I came across an unpublished draft editorial from way back in September 2004 which complained that online excitement for Bionicle was dying, that there weren't enough media and teasers being released on LEGO.com to build hype for the new Bionicle movie, and that this lack of online engagement could end up hurting the LEGO Group and the Bionicle theme. It's kind of surprising to hear that people felt this way back in 2004, when a number of books, movies, and comics were known to be in the pipeline. And yet even this year, there are at least two more graphic novels and one more chapter book coming out over the course of this year, not to mention two more episodes of The Journey to One.

Bionicle G2 might go on for just one more year or it might go one for longer. But uncertainty and a lack of immediate new content to discuss can lead people to expect the worst, and sometimes, to start throwing around blame for why "the worst" is bound to happen.

• Upvote 13

Recently, when I was working on a story for the BZPower front page, I came across an unpublished draft editorial from way back in September 2004 which complained that online excitement for Bionicle was dying, that there weren't enough media and teasers being released on LEGO.com to build hype for the new Bionicle movie, and that this lack of online engagement could end up hurting the LEGO Group and the Bionicle theme. It's kind of surprising to hear that people felt this way back in 2004, when a number of books, movies, and comics were known to be in the pipeline. And yet even this year, there are at least two more graphic novels and one more chapter book coming out over the course of this year, not to mention two more episodes of The Journey to One.

Ha, that's pretty funny. It's not entirely wrong, either - sure, comparatively there was much, much more stuff going on at the time, but Bionicle then and Bionicle now are totally different beasts. For someone coming off of the marketing peak that was summer 2003 and Mask of Light, I can totally get 2004 looking comparatively quiet. And its true that there was something of a dropoff in enthusiasm through 2004 (beginning with the theme's sudden and radical tonal shift) and reaching a peak in the frequently disparaged 2005. The 2006 reboot and concurrent marketing blitz were what it took to boost the community on BZP into the bustling "city" many of us remember.

Personally I'm no fan of negativity for the sake of negativity, but I feel that it is legitimate and fair to criticize the line where criticisms come up, even if it means being a little hard on it sometimes. Not everything is going to be perfect, and I don't think we should pretend it is. I was a huge fan of the direction 2015 took and I've been rather disillusioned by what I feel to be a turn for the worse with 2016's handling. Is it not okay for me to express that opinion?

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 4

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Personally I'm no fan of negativity for the sake of negativity, but I feel that it is legitimate and fair to criticize the line where criticisms come up, even if it means being a little hard on it sometimes. Not everything is going to be perfect, and I don't think we should pretend it is. I was a huge fan of the direction 2015 took and I've been rather disillusioned by what I feel to be a turn for the worse with 2016's handling. Is it not okay for me to express that opinion?

Of course it makes total since to express dissatisfaction with aspects of the line! As I mentioned in my first post I myself disliked Journey to One, and in the discussion about it I mentioned the reasons I disliked it. The type of negativity I am referring to is the uber-excessive type sneaking into a lot of posts recently, the stuff like "2017 IS THE END BECAUSE THIS WAS HORRIBLE!" or the "AGREE WITH MY OPINION OR DIE!" stuff that is showing up all across the fandom right now. It is civil to have different opinions, but it becomes an issue when fans aggressively push their world view down other fans throats. It also can cause a lot of misinformation, with the rumors of 2017 being the end I have seen some fans read statements like that, then go into other discussions 'quoting' what they had heard by saying things like "2017 will be one wave like the Bionicle Stars." That is an issue when opinions become rumors and then are treated like fact by other fans.

But yeah, it is funny to think very little has changed by looking back on 2004. :)

• Upvote 4

Adult fans tend to have, ah, touchier triggers, than child fans, and are also harder to please,

sure a child might dislike a thing and go on a rant about it, but lets be honest, adult fans of especially child-oriented products are as lot more likely to ooze outright hatred than someone from the younger audience. (see, adult reactions to, say, Ninjago.)

tbh, the peopel comparing to the Bionicle STARS are just being either pessimistic because of their viewpoints, or "optimistic" because they hate Bionicle G2, i mean come on guys, the STARS weren't even that bad.

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Yes, I've noticed this trend as well, and I'm glad you pointed it out. This recent activity of rising negativity has made me distance myself from the Bionicle community further than it ever has in the past; A lot of it is thanks to naive fans with high expectations, or should I say, fans that did have high expectations?

"Oh ma gawsh, Boinkle got Russian exclusives, Lego sucks!"

What disgusts me most is that there are so many people out there that claim BZPower to be the "4chan of the Bionicle community", yet, from what I've seen, we're probably the most relaxed out of all major Bionicle fan-sites; There's not many, if any, arguments going on.

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 3

It's an interesting thought, but this kinda reminds me of the philosophical question, "Would you rather live a short life and die a hero having never seen the fruits of your efforts, or would you rather live to see yourself become a villain?" I think in this case what we're looking at is, "Would you rather have Bionicle end on a debatable high(er) note back in 2009, or have it come back and struggle to maintain itself?" In this case we are facing the latter and my guess is that because G1 had so much of Lego's resources and money invested into it, we were spoiled with a better story, marketing, and media. Currently, most of the fans that you'll see on BZP and other online forums are grown up and from that G1 era. Not only that, they are the individuals who have stuck with Bionicle during its 6 year hiatus. These are the fans who were the most invested in Bionicle and dedicated as fan. While Bionicle G2 is fairly decent on its own, it's highly unlikely that G2 will ever be what G1 was because it is no longer Lego's primary focus, nor its most profitable product line. It simply won't have the funding/investment to be able to produce what G1 had and we as grown-adult fans know this; we can connect the dots and we can where this is heading. Constantly, comparisons are being made between the two generations on which are better and there is always that hope that it will eventually become G1 or better. I honestly think that so long as Bionicle Gen 2 is being run the way it is and as poorly funded as it has been, there will always be this general pessimism around the forums.

Now if the rumors of Bionicle Gen 2 ending in 2017 (or summer 2016) turn out to be true, then I think that Bionicle actually has an opportunity story-wise that it never had before. I mentioned this in a forum earlier, but I think that the Bionicle story development team should make the ending chapter of the Gen 2 story take off in the wildest direction never seen in a Lego universe fitting treachery, romance, betrayal, sacrifice, loss, and gain into the mix. Sure it'll take a lot of convincing from the higher ups, but then again, the fact that they may be facing the end might be the only reason why story writers would have this sort of opportunity and since Gen 2 doesn't have much back story development, it gives the authors the room for such creativity. Sure they'll be destroying the "remembering our roots" campaign, but the outcome I think will both please the fans, giving hope for the story, and bring back the positive moral on the forums. Heck it might even save Bionicle Gen 2. It's a nothing to lose everything to gain scenario.

• Upvote 1

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

Yes, I've noticed this trend as well, and I'm glad you pointed it out. This recent activity of rising negativity has made me distance myself from the Bionicle community further than it ever has in the past; A lot of it is thanks to naive fans with high expectations, or should I say, fans that did have high expectations?

"Oh ma gawsh, Boinkle got Russian exclusives, Lego sucks!"

What disgusts me most is that there are so many people out there that claim BZPower to be the "4chan of the Bionicle community", yet, from what I've seen, we're probably the most relaxed out of all major Bionicle fan-sites; There's not many, if any, arguments going on.

What? BZP the 4chan of the Bionicle community? I thought 4chan was the 4chan of the Bionicle community? :P

I mean, if anything it's closer to the Tumblr of the Bionicle community (considering BZP is a good deal more progressive/social justice-minded than most AFOL sites). And even then, the comparison falls apart when you consider BZP's strong ruleset, tight-knit community, and very focused nature of discussions. There's not a whole lot else quite like BZPower, and in general, I'm happy that BZPower is what it is.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Now if the rumors of Bionicle Gen 2 ending in 2017 (or summer 2016) turn out to be true...

Just to clarify one thing: Christian Vonsild confirmed at BrickFair New Jersey last October that he and his team were already working on the 2017 sets. I have no idea how long Bionicle G2 will last, but anybody who thinks it will end without any 2017 sets is both underestimating its potential and probably overestimating how quickly LEGO can change their plans for the coming year.

Let's not forget: the decision to end Bionicle G1 and create Hero Factory was made in 2008. The decision to end Hero Factory and bring back Bionicle was made in 2012. In both cases, the theme continued for two years after that decision was made. So I don't think it's realistic for LEGO to end Bionicle G2 as abruptly as some people expect them to.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Considering the same person complains about BZP having "more 'SJWS'", I am perfectly content to dunk their opinion in the garbage where it belongs. Outside of some past heated discussions, BZPower's progressiveness only really shows itself in its intolerance policies (which any civil forum should have), or the occasional more nuanced look at the story.

(And, as Lyichir pointed out, being more progressive than other Bionicle sites would be the opposite of being the 4chan of the Bionicle community, considering last I checked, 4chan prided itself on being the most disgusting haven of bigotry on the internet.)

• Upvote 5

Now if the rumors of Bionicle Gen 2 ending in 2017 (or summer 2016) turn out to be true...

Just to clarify one thing: Christian Vonsild confirmed at BrickFair New Jersey last October that he and his team were already working on the 2017 sets. I have no idea how long Bionicle G2 will last, but anybody who thinks it will end without any 2017 sets is both underestimating its potential and probably overestimating how quickly LEGO can change their plans for the coming year.

Let's not forget: the decision to end Bionicle G1 and create Hero Factory was made in 2008. The decision to end Hero Factory and bring back Bionicle was made in 2012. In both cases, the theme continued for two years after that decision was made. So I don't think it's realistic for LEGO to end Bionicle G2 as abruptly as some people expect them to.

Lol then forget most of what I just said. I'd still want a crazy dynamic story, but I don't the "forget it, let's go crazy" story would be considered if it wasn't a blaze of glory scenario. However, I was wrong before, so who knows.

Edited by Azon

Fans overall are impossible to totally satisfy. No matter what you do, people are different, and some get more dramatic than others. I myself have expressed really negative reactions and opinions on Bionicle G2 simply because I don't like it and that it's a serious let down. I brought all the first wave toa and continued to support it but eventually it became clear the story and scope of it all was far from exciting or interesting and Bionicle has faded out of my mind for now.

But believe me I'm still gonna keep supporting Bionicle G2 no matter how much I hate Journey to One or the story as a whole because heck it's Bionicle and that's what matters for now. I imagine Bionicle will end after 2017, and that's upsetting, but I'm not crying about it. If fans are being sour, what can I say. I don't post much here anymore because of just how easy it is to get upset and make others upset on the internet, and I guess that's just how it is.

Considering the same person complains about BZP having "more 'SJWS'", I am perfectly content to dunk their opinion in the garbage where it belongs. Outside of some past heated discussions, BZPower's progressiveness only really shows itself in its intolerance policies (which any civil forum should have), or the occasional more nuanced look at the story.

(And, as Lyichir pointed out, being more progressive than other Bionicle sites would be the opposite of being the 4chan of the Bionicle community, considering last I checked, 4chan prided itself on being the most disgusting haven of bigotry on the internet.)

>not being a liberal

Bigoted

That's very tolerant of you

Anyways, what exactly is the argument here? That not all of the Bionicle fans are happy about every last detail about it? Keep in mind that Bionicle is a toy line - a rather old one at that. The fans are getting older. Honestly, I feel that a good chunk of BZPower comes here out of habit alone rather than out of any real interest in Bionicle. Seriously though, and I don't care how edgy it sounds, what is it about Bionicle or this site that attracts so many SJW's? Its a toyline aimed towards little boys, and nothing will change that!

Edited by Jaek_3
  • Upvote 2

I don't know what path you're trying to start, Jaek, but please don't. Such subjects have only devolved very quickly in the past, so let's stop here and continue discussing the hostility and negativity of the fans vis-à-vis Bionicle.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 6

>not being a liberal

Bigoted

That's very tolerant of you

Eh? Where'd you get that from? I just meant treating other people as lesser based on their gender, sexuality, skin color, etc. That's the very definition of bigotry. It's what BZPower doesn't allow, and it's what 4chan revels in. Anything political you're reading into it is on you.

edit: sorry, made this post before I saw Windrider's warning.

Edited by Hanako Ikezawa
  • Upvote 3

It's because we're older and more cynical and critical now.

We're no longer overexcited ten-year-olds with keyboards. Guys, I think we've... shudder... grown up-_-

Adult fans tend to have, ah, touchier triggers, than child fans, and are also harder to please,

sure a child might dislike a thing and go on a rant about it, but lets be honest, adult fans of especially child-oriented products are as lot more likely to ooze outright hatred than someone from the younger audience. (see, adult reactions to, say, Ninjago.)

tbh, the peopel comparing to the Bionicle STARS are just being either pessimistic because of their viewpoints, or "optimistic" because they hate Bionicle G2, i mean come on guys, the STARS weren't even that bad.

I think this is the most plausible explanation, people are older, make opinions, plus there's this thing called nostalgia that keeps slapping me in the face whenever I see BIONICLE (you know, in that one special font they always do the logo in).

You know, I haven't seen anybody on the website saying "Hey!  I just got into Bionicle watching Journey to One!  So, um, what's this Gen1/Gen2 thing you keep talking about, with the giant robot and this guy named Teridax?"  It's all people who got hooked in Gen1, have a bunch of nostalgia, and reminisce about the 'good old days' (myself included).  I'm not sure what that reflects on, but my point is that (I think) people on here are older than a kid who just got started with Gen2.

On the other hand, now I feel ancient...

• Upvote 2

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I, too, am seeing a lot of paranoia and I am scratching my head at what some people are saying as far as the future of Bionicle and the constructible action figure category on the whole. 

Maybe Bionicle isn't doing well? If this is the case, they'll still be able to give it some form of an ending in 2017. However, as many have said already, we don't have exact sales figures for the line in 2015.

If it's doing well in the market, that's great! Perhaps we will see more after the initial 2017 "end date".

I've seen a few posts on multiple different sites that suggest that if Bionicle ends, the only Constraction line will be Star Wars, and then eventually that may end leaving no more Constraction for the future. This, to me, does not make any sense, especially for the fact that fans of Constraction are the ones claiming such things.

Allow me to provide an example of which I can relate this situation to. A few years ago, the game developer BioWare released statistics for Mass Effect 3, specifically for the six classes that the player could choose from to play the game. One of the classes, the Engineer, had 5.1% of all players who played the game. This was revealed during a press conference with the developers where they stated some thing to the effect (no pun intended) of: "We know that very few people play as the Engineer, and fans always ask us why we keep that class. Our answer is that we keep the Engineer class because there are people out there who like playing as the Engineer. If no one played as the Engineer then maybe we would get rid of it, but seeing as people do, we still see it as an integral part of the game experience."

TLG knows that there are still fans of Constraction themes out there, so it wouldn't make sense to suddenly stop producing sets for that part of their consumer base. If this is the case, there will most likely be another line of Constraction-based sets after Bionicle ends. I'm sure that more than 10% of Lego buyers have a Constraction-based set, so I really don't see Constraction going away any time soon.

And by this logic, they very well could continue the line. :)

Yes, I know as a kid one of the reasons I stopped buying Bionicle sets in 2007 was my first exposure to online nay-sayers including those that were here on BZp at the time. It seems fans get hostile really easily online, and it can unknowingly disuade other fans from participating in a forum. I definitely have been participating on BZp a bit less since the negativity has started, and over on Eurobricks I find myself commenting less on the Bionicle discussion there.

Eurobricks though has also been the place that I noticed this "panic" is a trait of Bionicle fans, by comparing the Bionicle fan reaction vs. the Lego train fans reaction on the Train Tech forum on Eurobricks. There are plenty of fans upset about the limited train releases; yet rather than panic they discuss how to get train ideas on Lego Ideas, they support 3rd party groups such as Big Ben Bricks and ME rails, and they keep on making MOC's. I wish the Bionicle fandom would take a similar approach, rather than mudslinging, trolling, and flaming other Bionicle fans.

Truth.

With the possibility of an end next year, I myself have been thinking about making fixes and continuations to G2 through writing and MOCs!  ^_^

I certainly agree that we should be more calm and optimistic with our discussions from here on out. :)

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

Well as people get older then tend to defend their nostalgia pretty hard, or become more cynical. There's a lot of disdain about G2, and it has its flaws, but it is still a kids toy line. Bionicle fans are all in their own niches and bubbles, and each tend to be very hostile with each other. Doesn't make sense since other fandoms aren't really like that. 

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Well as people get older then tend to defend their nostalgia pretty hard, or become more cynical. There's a lot of disdain about G2, and it has its flaws, but it is still a kids toy line. Bionicle fans are all in their own niches and bubbles, and each tend to be very hostile with each other. Doesn't make sense since other fandoms aren't really like that.

I guess in the end, a lot of us in the Bionicle community are so spoilt that we don't like change from that. There's definitely smaller communities out there with interests in less popular things to who are generally more grateful with what they've got. I wish as a whole that fans could be like that, but people will always be different from one another, and that seems to have always been a double-edged sword in reality and the virtual world. You can easily tell from this, though, that there's only so many that learn. *Sigh...*

Edited by Rooster Nui

Alright, so I think we've nailed the hammer on the head as to why the BZP community might have become more hostile and negative and I touched up a little bit on what I personally think could change the general tone in the "oldies" of BZP's tone and attitude, but would it be possible to social engineer a new outlook and attitude among the community? BZP is, in fact, its own society with its regulars and when a position and view is given by enough prominent/vocal people it seems like a loosely general perspective/attitude begins to form. However, there, as of late, have been a greater volume of dissonance as an imbalance of support for Bionicle among the society is growing. Because there is this dissonance and strife amongst other members and their unfavorable outlook of the course of Gen 2 as a whole, I believe we might see a collapse in the society within the next half decade regardless of what happens to Bionicle in 2017. That being said, I recommend strategizing on ways to manipulate BZP member's outlooks through social engineering and implementing PR methods. If you want to see an example of this working on a much larger scale, then look at what LulzSec did AnonOps did.

Some sources for study:

http://sociologyindex.com/functionalism.htm

http://sociologyindex.com/social_order.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28political_science%29

Lol, like Gen 2 propaganda! EVERYWHERE! Gen 2 fan art, Gen 2 music scores/media, forums that bring a positive outlooks on Gen 2 topics. If nostalgia is the problem, then the gap and differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 needs to be blown wiiiiiiiiide open. I think what needs to be changed is that Gen 2 needs to be viewed by the community on its own rather than as a shadow of Gen 1. Now changing the outlook on Gen 2 might help a bit, but I don't think that it'll be the ultimate antidote to the disease. In addition to promoting a new outlook on the face of the site, I recommend also diffusing the negativity and hostility by redirecting the focus of the conversation to a different subtopic that still maintains the characteristics of the subject. For instance, if someone states that they are streaming JTO, and I agree that is wrong and hurts Bionicle in a long run, due to the nature of the strong opinions on both ends of the spectrum the topic should be changed to an element of JTO that the show really had going for it. Truth is, while you can debate about how illegal streaming of JTO will hurt Bionicle's chances of becoming something better, you likely will not change the individual's mind and will only make the topic more aware to other users as well as create a disunity within the BZP community

Edited by Azon
  • Upvote 1

Im not sure where all these rumors and all this negativity sprouted forth from, but I'd bet money on it, that all this to some extent was started by someone on TTV's message boards, believe me, I've seen a lot of stuff started over there during my time there. Zealots, many, many, many babyish zealots and trolls.

But the fact is, regardless as to where all this started, BIONICLE is NOT ending in 2017, far from it, and much like in the past, we should just ignore all the Zealots and trolls, no use in trying to have an argument with a stubbern brickwall. Instead, we should use out creative power, and expand on the story, as fans if it does end. Which it certainly won't in 2017. When BIONICLE G1 ended everyone was all up in arms like "LEGO SUCKS" LEGO IS AN EVIL CORPORATION, MADE TO BREAK HEARTS AND KILL CHILDHOODS" "LEGO MUST DIE" blah blah blah, shut up you big baby, crying over spilt milk is no way to solve your problems, just poor yourself another glass and drink this one, don't have any milk? Well go to the store and by some more, not feeling like doing it now? Than do it later. The point of this example is that when something ends, we shouldn't get all up in a tizzy about it, instead we should create, and expand the story however we wish, as fans, either by our own way, or a generally agreed upon way of continuity.

But, thats besides the point. The point is, BIONICLE isn't ending anytime soon, so let us all just calm down, take a deep breath, and enjoy what we have now, instead of just complaining and acting like a whole bunch of fool. I remember vivdly when the BIONICLE 2016 pics started to emerge, I saw all these recolors done of the pictures, and guess where all those came from? The dastardly TTV Message Boards. Noe, fortunately I've heard that they are cracking down on this sort of behavior, which is good. However, regardless of that happening with the peaks, what did everyone say about the 2016 sets? That they sucked? That they where badly built? No, far from that, in fact, but a massive margin of fans, most if not almost all fans said that these sets where at peast very good, of not the GOAT (greastest of all time), ehat did all that complaining do? Absolutely nothing, if anything it barely emphisized some weird color choices, bue even then, it did affect my view on the sets, or most others.

The point is that complaining gets you nowhere, and we should just ignore such fools, as in the end, they're all just crying over spilt milk. Or in sort, nothing really.

• Upvote 3

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Im not sure where all these rumors and all this negativity sprouted forth from, but I'd bet money on it, that all this to some extent was started by someone on TTV's message boards, believe me, I've seen a lot of stuff started over there during my time there. Zealots, many, many, many babyish zealots and trolls.

But the fact is, regardless as to where all this started, BIONICLE is NOT ending in 2017, far from it, and much like in the past, we should just ignore all the Zealots and trolls, no use in trying to have an argument with a stubbern brickwall. Instead, we should use out creative power, and expand on the story, as fans if it does end. Which it certainly won't in 2017. When BIONICLE G1 ended everyone was all up in arms like "LEGO SUCKS" LEGO IS AN EVIL CORPORATION, MADE TO BREAK HEARTS AND KILL CHILDHOODS" "LEGO MUST DIE" blah blah blah, shut up you big baby, crying over spilt milk is no way to solve your problems, just poor yourself another glass and drink this one, don't have any milk? Well go to the store and by some more, not feeling like doing it now? Than do it later. The point of this example is that when something ends, we shouldn't get all up in a tizzy about it, instead we should create, and expand the story however we wish, as fans, either by our own way, or a generally agreed upon way of continuity.

But, thats besides the point. The point is, BIONICLE isn't ending anytime soon, so let us all just calm down, take a deep breath, and enjoy what we have now, instead of just complaining and acting like a whole bunch of fool. I remember vivdly when the BIONICLE 2016 pics started to emerge, I saw all these recolors done of the pictures, and guess where all those came from? The dastardly TTV Message Boards. Noe, fortunately I've heard that they are cracking down on this sort of behavior, which is good. However, regardless of that happening with the peaks, what did everyone say about the 2016 sets? That they sucked? That they where badly built? No, far from that, in fact, but a massive margin of fans, most if not almost all fans said that these sets where at peast very good, of not the GOAT (greastest of all time), ehat did all that complaining do? Absolutely nothing, if anything it barely emphisized some weird color choices, bue even then, it did affect my view on the sets, or most others.

The point is that complaining gets you nowhere, and we should just ignore such fools, as in the end, they're all just crying over spilt milk. Or in sort, nothing really.

I mean sure you can say that and even yell it from the mountain tops, but will that be what changes the society as a whole? I'm talking macrotransormation from microinfluences. Sure you can tell someone, "Stop complaining", but unless their view of the source of their complaint is manipulated or shown in a different light, then nothing will change in that person. They'll just keep complaining. They need to be socially engineered as opposed to criticized.

Btw, I agree with your points though. I just think the method needs to be revised.

Edited by Azon

I mean sure you can say that and even yell it from the mountain tops, but will that be what changes the society as a whole? I'm talking macrotransormation from microinfluences. Sure you can tell someone, "Stop complaining", but unless their view of the source of their complaint is manipulated or shown in a different light, then nothing will change in that person. They'll just keep complaining. They need to be socially engineered as opposed to criticized.

Btw, I agree with your points though. I just think the method needs to be revised.

So tell the to stop complaining, and slap the truth of the matter in their faces. From my expierence that tends to work.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

While the kind of negativity some sites have been seeing is a bit upsetting, I don't know if I'd consider it cause for alarm. When the Bionicle theme was announced to be returning there was a lot of hype surrounding it. As that hype diminishes and we enter a "dry spell" between new set and media releases, people are bound to get antsy.

Bionicle G2 might go on for just one more year or it might go one for longer. But uncertainty and a lack of immediate new content to discuss can lead people to expect the worst, and sometimes, to start throwing around blame for why "the worst" is bound to happen.

I remember a simular situation in 2002 when the Bohrok kal were released.

So I think all this negativity is part of the Bionicle cycle.

I don't think Bionicle well end in 2017 because Lego has mentioned nothing I mean NOTHING.

Not even employees coming out and saying were ending it.

This theory that Bionicle is ending has been created by the fans.

It seems to me that this been a huge game of telephone with the Bionicle community. It could of started off being "hey I think Bionicle won't last tell 2017"

This spreads and changes tell it becomes the story of it ending in 2017 creating the hot mess of people trying to stop Bionicle from ending.

And here is some evidence of this telephone game.

I heard back in 2015 when Bionicle came back LEGO said they plan on making sets tell at least 2018, and may continue if it makes a good profit.

I can see how this can be miss read easily.

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 3

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I'd like to be very clear that while it's fair to talk about overall trends in the fandom, you shouldn't be painting entire communities with a single brush - especially in a topic that already took a sidetrack to complain about someone doing that very thing to us.

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 5

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Guys, I think we've... shudder... grown up-_-

No. No!

I WON'T BELIEVE IT!!! *runs out of doors screaming*

In all seriousness, I don't think it's because any of the fan bases in particular assemble masses of eager internet trolls to use to cause mass conspiracies, at least in LEGO's league. I think it's more along the lines of LEGO previously attracting the more bratty fans to social media years ago, and they grow up and begin to really rage against it - and then the word just spreads. In actuality, we're getting more bang for our buck with the new sets and their incredible pieces - even though G1 was more aesthetically pleasing - and while they're not exactly perfect, they're definitely differentiating from the generic stick figure design we've gotten in the past.

So, why are there so many haters suddenly? because rude people get progressively worse over time, considering they gravitate towards each other faster than other people do. And some of them are LEGO fans.

• Upvote 3

I agree with this - I would like the fans of Bionicle to take an innovative approach instead of flaming. To be clear, though, Bionicle suffers from things that Train Tech does not, namely:

1) a viable innovative path forward that isn't spearheaded by new parts and molds. Now there are notable exceptions to this, but for the most part Bionicle fans are consumers that are watching the company for innovations year after year.

The vast majority of all Bionicle MoCs are variations on sets Lego has already produced. You can build a tower out of System and a cat out of System, but the only thing you can build out of CCBS is what comes out of the box...or some variation on it. At least, that's what the majority of Bionicle fans seem to believe.

Further, Lego's approach to the system so far has been somewhat formulaic and myopic, cranking out the same humanoid builds year after year. The name CCBS is the problem. It's the Character and Creature Building system, not the "system made up of ball joints connectors that can build a humanoid, an ant, or a bridge." And yes, you can build ants and bridges out of that system. I've done it. Heck you can even build ants and bridges and towers out of G1 parts and people don't do it.

Given that Lego's mission statement is to "inspire and develop the builders of tommorrow" this is a blind spot. CCBS inspires me just looking at it, but most people don't seem to get it.

2) Which leaves the story to carry all of Bionicle's attractive weight. But the story...is produced by the Lego group. We don't have a say in it any more, if we ever did. Indeed, the main reason to buy Bionicle sets for a lot of people was (and probably still is) keep them together and roleplay. But those roleplaying opportunities are built in large part by the story, which is from Lego. It's the attraction of the characters from the story...not the attraction of holding CCBS pieces in your hand and clipping and unclipping as you watch something take shape. That's what attracts me to the sets, but for most people...nah. And if the story sucks, as it has ever since 2010 at least, there's nothing left.

Witness BZPower 2011-14, I can tell you that most of the activity and most of the fights were about dragging the most mileage we could out of the old story.

------------------------

Therefore, Lego has created a culture of customers with their Bionicle line, not a culture of innovators like in the realms of Train Tech, Technic or System. And those customers snap at each other when their demands aren't met, as a displacement of anger against Lego.

We believe that only Lego can innovate Bionicle and CCBS. We believe that only Lego can produce the story we want. And apart from Lego's good graces, we are helpless to change anything, that Lego has slighted us, that what they have given us will never be enough, and that they are going to take whatever little we have away.

And we are wrong.

Someone mentioned that we are growing up. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are still sitting around as crying two-year-olds waiting for the big Lego parent to give us candy. If somone wants a different flavor of candy than us, we attack them to protect our own stash.

And until we realize that CCBS and Bionicle story as it stands now are not liabilities, but opportunities, until we realize that as the people who appreciate what Bionicle has to offer only we are going to be able to do something about it, until we stop believing that we are powerless, we will continue to act like selfish brats who complain about Lego's every move and snap at each other over our mutual lack of satisfaction.

Thanks for reading. I hope I have answered your question.

Dude, that topic on TTV is from August of 2014 when we were having that "intolerance rule = trolling license" movement. It's hardly represenative of recent negativety or of BZP as a whole.

• Upvote 5

I agree with this - I would like the fans of Bionicle to take an innovative approach instead of flaming. To be clear, though, Bionicle suffers from things that Train Tech does not, namely:

1) a viable innovative path forward that isn't spearheaded by new parts and molds. Now there are notable exceptions to this, but for the most part Bionicle fans are consumers that are watching the company for innovations year after year.

The vast majority of all Bionicle MoCs are variations on sets Lego has already produced. You can build a tower out of System and a cat out of System, but the only thing you can build out of CCBS is what comes out of the box...or some variation on it. At least, that's what the majority of Bionicle fans seem to believe.

Further, Lego's approach to the system so far has been somewhat formulaic and myopic, cranking out the same humanoid builds year after year. The name CCBS is the problem. It's the Character and Creature Building system, not the "system made up of ball joints connectors that can build a humanoid, an ant, or a bridge." And yes, you can build ants and bridges out of that system. I've done it. Heck you can even build ants and bridges and towers out of G1 parts and people don't do it.

Given that Lego's mission statement is to "inspire and develop the builders of tommorrow" this is a blind spot. CCBS inspires me just looking at it, but most people don't seem to get it.

2) Which leaves the story to carry all of Bionicle's attractive weight. But the story...is produced by the Lego group. We don't have a say in it any more, if we ever did. Indeed, the main reason to buy Bionicle sets for a lot of people was (and probably still is) keep them together and roleplay. But those roleplaying opportunities are built in large part by the story, which is from Lego. It's the attraction of the characters from the story...not the attraction of holding CCBS pieces in your hand and clipping and unclipping as you watch something take shape. That's what attracts me to the sets, but for most people...nah. And if the story sucks, as it has ever since 2010 at least, there's nothing left.

Witness BZPower 2011-14, I can tell you that most of the activity and most of the fights were about dragging the most mileage we could out of the old story.

------------------------

Therefore, Lego has created a culture of customers with their Bionicle line, not a culture of innovators like in the realms of Train Tech, Technic or System. And those customers snap at each other when their demands aren't met, as a displacement of anger against Lego.

We believe that only Lego can innovate Bionicle and CCBS. We believe that only Lego can produce the story we want. And apart from Lego's good graces, we are helpless to change anything, that Lego has slighted us, that what they have given us will never be enough, and that they are going to take whatever little we have away.

And we are wrong.

Someone mentioned that we are growing up. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are still sitting around as crying two-year-olds waiting for the big Lego parent to give us candy. If somone wants a different flavor of candy than us, we attack them to protect our own stash.

And until we realize that CCBS and Bionicle story as it stands now are not liabilities, but opportunities, until we realize that as the people who appreciate what Bionicle has to offer only we are going to be able to do something about it, until we stop believing that we are powerless, we will continue to act like selfish brats who complain about Lego's every move and snap at each other over our mutual lack of satisfaction.

Thanks for reading. I hope I have answered your question.

Dude, that topic on TTV is from August of 2014 when we were having that "intolerance rule = trolling license" movement. It's hardly represenative of recent negativety or of BZP as a whole.

That may be true, but it also doesn't change that such a thing or similar things are continuously stated in other areas even by some who are or have resided on this very site. I felt it was necessary to state within text as it's a trend much like the one of constant negativity regarding LEGO's ways in terms of what's going on with the Bionicle product line. I'll admit that I didn't see the date as being from 2014, but rather 2015, and will blank the link in the event that the person has changed his/her ways. However, I believe it also may show to people that the one at hand of discussion isn't the only negative-reoccurring trend, and that your statements are even more important with both trends in mind, because if we don't change our ways as you suggested, neither sadness of Bionicle "ending" nor hatred towards BZPower will stop. 

I'll stop talking about it from here-on out. I don't want to be the cause of things getting out of hand.

Edited by Rooster Nui

The reason I imagine people are getting so hostile is partly because of the romours surrounding the end of G2. For clarification the romours supposedly came from a legit source. Someone claimed to have talked with someone who had connections with the Lego group and they supposedly said that bionicle wasn't selling too well at the moment. Although I would like to remind people that I don't believe the person claiming this provided any evidence that they had this discussion. So it should be taken with a huge grain of salt. With that out the way assuming this source can be trusted this does present a real possibility that next year will be the last. This will cause a lot of the people who don't like G2 to feel validated and hence become more vocal. It also doesn't help that the summer wave has got a very mixed reaction which will further add to negativity. Simply put I think it's just different things happening at the same time and it'll blow over. 

• Upvote 5

It's time to move on.

I recommend strategizing on ways to manipulate BZP member's outlooks through social engineering and implementing PR methods

whoah why are we talking about manipulating the masses now? what happened? what?

Actually....yes!

I haven't been as active as last year, but that's in part due to a grueling schedule. I know that there was some hostility towards the reboot when it launched... but now? Seriously? Never before have we had such fantastic complex sets. And if the story isn't doing it for you (I know it really isn't for me, despite liking the media strategy) there is no need to go up in arms about it. 

I guess it happens with every fanbase unfortunately...

-NotS

• Upvote 4

tahubanner.jpg

I haven't been as active as last year, but that's in part due to a grueling schedule. I know that there was some hostility towards the reboot when it launched... but now? Seriously? Never before have we had such fantastic complex sets. And if the story isn't doing it for you (I know it really isn't for me, despite liking the media strategy) there is no need to go up in arms about it. 

I guess it happens with every fanbase unfortunately...

-NotS

Oh I agree with you completely, but you're preaching to the choir in this forum. We all agree, but what I think we need to focus on is what can be done about it? Honestly, I think you are taking a step in the right direction though. You're pictorial story "The Journey of Tahu" emphasizes the beauty and quality of the build in the Gen 2 toa. I think there needs to be more media such as that to promote a better general outlook on Gen 2.

Edited by Azon
  • Upvote 2

Oh I agree with you completely, but you're preaching to the choir in this forum. We all agree, but what I think we need to focus on is what can be done about it? Honestly, I think you are taking a step in the right direction though. You're pictorial story "The Journey of Tahu" emphasizes the beauty and quality of the build in the Gen 2 toa. I think there needs to be more media such as that to promote a better general outlook on Gen 2.

Thank you for the kind words. I agree - through art, fan-fics, fan videos, etc. we are showing LEGO that we care about G2. And (this is the same for a lot of fanbases) I honestly don't think the general consensus of G2 is "we all hate it". People who are satisfied tend to speak less than those who are infuriated. The vocal minority is negative. The rest of us are either content or pleased enough to not make a fuss over it. So I think these discussions, along with the artwork, mocing scene among others are indicators of our feelings towards G2. We shoudn't focus on changing the minds of others who think otherwise, but if someone new to the franchise was to express interest in G2, I think most of us would say "go for it". And I mean, at the end of the day, sales talk the biggest. If we keep supporting LEGO by buying the sets, we are already doing our part. The rest of it just goes above and beyond. :)

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. I agree - through art, fan-fics, fan videos, etc. we are showing LEGO that we care about G2. And (this is the same for a lot of fanbases) I honestly don't think the general consensus of G2 is "we all hate it". People who are satisfied tend to speak less than those who are infuriated. The vocal minority is negative. The rest of us are either content or pleased enough to not make a fuss over it. So I think these discussions, along with the artwork, mocing scene among others are indicators of our feelings towards G2. We shoudn't focus on changing the minds of others who think otherwise, but if someone new to the franchise was to express interest in G2, I think most of us would say "go for it". And I mean, at the end of the day, sales talk the biggest. If we keep supporting LEGO by buying the sets, we are already doing our part. The rest of it just goes above and beyond. :)

-NotS

In other words, we should be more vocal about the good stuff. :) 

• Upvote 2

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: