Crunchy's Forge [Paper Mask Archive]

Crunchyn

Due to numerous requests, I have set up the new Paper Mask Archive. Due to some issues, I noticed from the previous archive, I decided to just link to the files themselves and not as a ZIP folder.Thanks to Bionicle: Next Generation for the models! :D

Current Masks Archived

pepakuracollection2.jpg

Hall of Fame. Finished Masks and other Bionicle Props by Me and Fellow Bionicle Fans

DOWNLOAD:

Numbered has numbers on the edges to guide you, Clean version does not.

Sorry Guys, but I'm removing all download links until further notice.

FAQ:

Oh, awesome! What did you use to make these?I used a program called Pepakura designer which takes 3d models and allows me to make paper patterns from them.

What materials do I need?

Printer, a cutting tool, glue, ruler and paper. Printer paper is not recommended, too flimsy, cardstock [55lbs or 110 lbs] is preferred.

Can I use thin cardboard?

Sure! It's just a matter of getting the pieces onto the cardboard unless you have a laser printer. The two best ways is either affixing the printed paper onto the cardboard with glue, gluestick, or photo spray mount, OR transferring the ink from the printed paper with acrylic gel medium or acetone (I heard that this method won't work with inkjet printers)

How would I fold the edges?

The best way is to score them. Scoring is basically creating a indented line to help you fold the paper better [no old man wrinkles on the paper, m'kay?] So what you do is you grab either a Xacto knife or a pen and ruler. Line the edge with the ruler and lightly trace with the knife or trace hard with the pen. If you do this, folding will be a lot easier.

I noticed some weird lines inside the pieces, should I cut there too?

No, that's just the program being weird and they're close enough, not like you can cut and glue with nonexistent tabs anyway.. Use your best judgement to determine where you should cut or fold and where you should not.

Great, I finished gluing everything together. Now how do I make it stronger?

This is a tricky question that I can't really answer and best to search cosplay, armor-making, and props-making sites because I'm not quite experienced in this department and requires research on the materials used to ensure health and safety. Several methods exist but I tend to avoid the toxic routes which you will require a respirator that can protect against volatile organic vapors. Things like Fiberglass resin, epoxy resin, etc. fail under this category. Nontoxic routes which I'm sure your parents would rather do are: papier mache (grab a ClearCoat spray so that your work won't be sogged down by the wetness) the hot glue method method (melting a bunch of hot glue and pouring it on the back) or a nontoxic resin like AquaResin.

How would I paint it?

That's up to you! Usually one would have a base color coat, black acrylic paint for weathering and details and silver/light paint for highlights. But again it's your vision.

Hey, can you make patterns for [insert mask name here]?I'm not the 3d modeler, I get these models from mostly Maphrox or B:NG and I just create the paper patterns. It simply depends if the requested mask has been modeled yet and even then the model needs to be modeled right so that my program can make accurate patterns from it.

Good luck!

:)

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

These look wonderful, and I'd really like to make a version of that Miru. Problem is, I have no clue how to assemble it. =P I look forward to more, and hope to figure out how to make one :Psig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Oh smelt yeah! I always wanted to get my hand on a Miru! 8D And accidentally this would solve my modelling problem if I had to do one for school work. :D It's so good you put up these too. =)

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

These masks are so detailed. This must have taken more patience than anything, even your incredible skill, to make these things so accurate.I saw the gallery process of how you made the Avohkii. Nice job! It looks heavy-duty. How much does it weigh?

pony_herd_really_tiny.png

In the meantime, you shall be loved and tolerated.

-----------------------------------------

I am both Toa Mata Nui and Dragonfly the Luminescent

-----------------------------------------

These masks are so detailed. This must have taken more patience than anything, even your incredible skill, to make these things so accurate.I saw the gallery process of how you made the Avohkii. Nice job! It looks heavy-duty. How much does it weigh?

I forget, but I think it's either 6 or 14 pounds

• 3 months later...

The other models I have trouble making blueprints for because they have certain parts ghosting through each other and in real life, the paper can't ghost through paper so I'm unable to use those models for this... Gali's mask only have a couple of mistakes so I'm gonna have to fix them by eye when I build the mask in Real Life. The Noble Huna, the one I have is a really complicated model with millions of polygons, I'll see if I can get someone to lower the poly count so that I can work with it.

can't wait to make one even tho i'm just now geting the blueprint an waiting for it to load so um yeah thats it i guess ...... never post something right after you get back from a week long vacation :P

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

Would You mind posting a clarification, either written or with images, on the mouth piece for the Kualsi? I'm having a little difficulty figuring it out. Awesome masks, btw! I've currently only done the Kakama and the Simple Hau as practice and am now moving on to some other masks. I'm working on the Kualsi but can't quite finish it.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Nowhere But Here, Nowhen But Now

Mask-Maker: Finished Hau

Would You mind posting a clarification, either written or with images, on the mouth piece for the Kualsi? I'm having a little difficulty figuring it out. Awesome masks, btw! I've currently only done the Kakama and the Simple Hau as practice and am now moving on to some other masks. I'm working on the Kualsi but can't quite finish it.

Sure, sorry here [yep, one of those problems translating from the model] but I have a gallery that shows the step by step of how I did the mouthpiece. Must have forgot about that.http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=239342

Back at this and have most of my supplies to start! I'm looking forward to making a Kualsi or Vahi

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be able to get a model for Tahu's Fire Sword? My neighbor is my high school CAD teacher and I _might_ be able to use his laser printer and make a full-sized sword. Just an idea.

Whoa, you got enough materials to make a full size sword? o.O I mean, I can totally understand if it was a CNC router but a 3d printer?

Whoa no no sorry. Not 3D printer, laser printer. Put in the design (he's working on converting the files so I can skip the cutting on masks), add simple paper or cardboard, and a little laser slices through it, creating the desired shape in flat. Then you stack the slices into a full shape. I would have a sword made of several layers of cardboard, which would be lightweight and fairly strong. Not using a maker-bot or 3D printer, that would be ridiculous.Also, I finally finished my Kualsi. I love it. Going to get some moderator Podge and spray paint, though I'm debating on the color. Leaning toward red...

Awesome! Ah, a sliced model, I have some experience with that, I built a Halo DMR with such blueprints and great to find that you did a Kualsi! I really love how BZP change the podge into moderator :P

Haha so it did! Didn't notice that. What's your recommendation for finishing it up? It won't be as serious as your Avokhii but I'm looking to touch up a few edges and then spray paint....

Well, if it's still paper and you're gonna spray paint, I think you may need some more reinforcement. Now, you don't want a super hard process like I did, so maybe I would suggest a cardboard frame underneath, especially for the wing-cheeks on the side and the top of the mask and make it all one frame it'll be more stable because spray paint will weigh and flex and soften the cardstock even more.

This is awesome! Will you end up making files for all the known kanohi? Or will it just be these?

It depends, I'm just now learning how to do some minor fixes [Warrior of Jupiter and Dethraid is helping me out a lot with learning Blender commands] and BNG has quite the number of models....depends...depends...

Ha forums are back! My neighbor the CAD teacher can't work with the standard file type, is there any chance you could upload some files as Illustrator, DXF, or some other type of CAD file?

I am not gonna upload the models here. PM me about this regard. :PK, as I mentioned before, I started learning some stuff about Blender, and finally got the Kaukau to be acceptable for Pepakura!kaukau_unfolded.pngI think I would rank this as easy-Medium. Next ones I will be working on are the both the normal Huna and the Noble Huna.DOWNLOAD LINKS:[REMOVED] Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

These look great, I'll have to try them out.moderator Edit: For future reference, please make your comments more substantial than this. Your comments should relate directly to the content at hand.

Edited by Than the Moa

• 2 weeks later...

_Finally_ got around to getting some podge for my Kualsi, it's drying as I type. Michael's had all the wrong spraypaint colors in matte, but the right shade of red they only had in gloss, so it won't be painted until I get some matte red from somewhere else...

Ahhh awesome, sorry to hear about not being able to find a matte red. If you still can't find one, I think what you can do is grab a Matte sealer which I'm not quite sure will hide the gloss red.....Also, I forget what program you were using, but I'm trying this one called Autodesk 123D Make which lets me create sliced blueprints meant for cardboard and stuff from 3d models. This is me playing around with the Lewa Phantoka Sword. 4 feet sound like a good length right? I tried going 6 feet long but apparently the pieces are too big to try that.lewaswordplanningscreenshot.png

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Yes! That's exactly the one I'm using. I wasn't able to print on Friday, but I should be able to use the large printer on Tuesday if you could send those slices along, and 4 feet would indeed work.Also I have a surprise in say, half an hour?

I'm having PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) difficulties with the image I wanted to put up.Sooo anyway I found a can of red spray paint IN THE RIGHT COLOR in the garage and the Kualsi is finally finished! You may eventually see a pic, if not just go here: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/147/9/c/mask_sword_cube_by_lacertusmaximus-d51bc2t.jpg

I have no idea, are you sure it's the Img url and not the url to the page? otherwise, idk....EDIT: !!!! That's so awesome. the Kualsi looks so solid and the Tahu Sword is coming along great! :)

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva