Crunchy's Forge [Paper Mask Archive]

Crunchyn

Hadn't thought of it... I have just a tiny amount of black left from something else and a bunch of gray from my Companion Cube, but no silver. Besides, I've never dome a weathering before, and I really don't want to screw this one up. Perhaps on another mask. My next priority is how to keep it on my face- it's heavy now!

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Nowhere But Here, Nowhen But Now

Mask-Maker: Finished Hau

Here's a question for you guys: Would you like it if I were to release the PDO files? You need Pepakura Designer/Viewer to see them but you can click on a certain part to see where it goes and also which edge goes which. Also, you can change the scale of the mask so that would be good with anyone with a certain head size that they want to fit.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

bionicle__life_size_kanohi_hau_by_lacertusmaximus-d54vd9q.jpgNearly complete! It obviously needs more paintwork, but all the podging and casting and shtuff is done! However, i will be out of town for a while and not able to finish it.
I once made that mask. It fell apart. Podging? Casting? How are you doing that? Because it looks like you're solidifying the mask entirely, which is awesome.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Podging is essentially brushing the mask with PVA glue aka white glue and what he's doing is casting, pouring a resin in the back and slushing it around until it gets as solid as plastic. I had to stop with the resin because I have to use my money for other stuff and also now I'm panicking that all these resins require a respirator that protects against volatile organic vapors.EDIT: did some messing around with the first post. Also added a Hall of Fame to showcase everyone's work. If anyone else made some Kanohi too, post some pics here or PM me! :)

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Just got back from Cross Country camp and am now headed to Iowa in a few hours -.-However- I did manage to sand down and re-paint the one spot I screwed up earlier, and the Hau is finished! I may still try a few things on the lines that WON'T GO AWAY but it is, for all intents and purposes, done once dry. Don't have a way wear it but that's a different story.May post another pic later but it's not much different, just less shiny.

Just got back from Cross Country camp and am now headed to Iowa in a few hours -.-However- I did manage to sand down and re-paint the one spot I screwed up earlier, and the Hau is finished! I may still try a few things on the lines that WON'T GO AWAY but it is, for all intents and purposes, done once dry. Don't have a way wear it but that's a different story.May post another pic later but it's not much different, just less shiny.
The lines, like the edges? I think because you got the back filled with resin that you can sand down all the edges.Right now, I'm taking a little break from Bionicle so that I can build an Amon mask :D Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

The lines, like the edges? I think because you got the back filled with resin that you can sand down all the edges.Right now, I'm taking a little break from Bionicle so that I can build an Amon mask :biggrin:
Please, post it! Awesomeness.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

image4.jpgFinished in one day, I'm not happy with the size so I might build another one a bit bigger before settling on reinforcing and painting. My friend thought it was a jabawookeez... :/ I'm also starting a build of the Package (Cortana Reach Data Storage Unit) from Halo: Reach to test out this material called water putty. It's supposedly stronger than plaster, has the same properties as soft wood apparently, so I'm going to check that out.Also, someone's been redoing the topology of the models, that would mean less polygons and more simpler unfolds with the same quality of detail.

Here you go, this is the link to the person I got it from. Couple of notes about the file. First, It's a PDO, you need Pepakura Designer/Viewer to see it.Also, it's 3 pages, but there's so many little parts that you might be confused about where things go. The Edge ID function is under the 2D pattern tab.The page size in the file is A4, not letter, so go to Settings->Print and Paper Settings-> Change size to Letter and change all the numbers there to about 5-7mm.The last thing you might want to know is the scaling. The file fits a person head that's under 22 cm. Option to scale is under the 2D pattern tab also, just plug in your head's height plus a inch or more and move stuff around to fit in the pages.{Removed by CrunchbiteNuva, because of possible advertising violation }But yeah, if you go out and look, there's tons of cool papercraft stuff people could do. Skyrim masks, masks from anime like Bleach, even Majora's Mask :P

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

I hadn't thought of sanding the edges down to the resin. I'll just have to live with the lines *twitch* and the somewhat poor paint job. I need to be more patient in letting it dry and to use thinner coats. :(Too late now I guess, maybe next mask I do whenever I do another. I'm eyeballing the Pakari, but I really like the Vahi too...Your Anon mask looks awesome, btw!

....The page size in the file is A4, not letter, so go to Settings->Print and Paper Settings-> Change size to Letter and change all the numbers there to about 5-7mm.The last thing you might want to know is the scaling. The file fits a person head that's under 22 cm. Option to scale is under the 2D pattern tab also, just plug in your head's height plus a inch or more and move stuff around to fit in the pages.....
I'm stumped on these parts, could you explain a bit better how to do it? Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

The print and paper settings are pretty self-explanatory once you get there, the numbers/margins should be lowered to allow you the most space in a page to fit stuff in.The scaling is important if you want the mask to fit you (and people wonder why I have so much trouble making sure things fit.) so it's 2D->Scaling->Change Scale and they had the length, width, and depth in millimeters and you can just change the number of one dimension and that will change the size of all the dimensions proportionally.Update: Just figured out how to disable comments on the downloads page to conform to BZP advertising policy

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Yep, I did it tons of time before. Before it was just Halo stuff that people made and then I only bought the key once BNG actually let use their models and I needed to actually save stuff.

Argh. The more I think about my mask, the more I think I'll have to redo the paint. It's sloppy and the wrong color and there's still those lines. I've found a really good reference for weathering but don't want to over- or underdo it, any recommendations? I might leave it out entirely, but depending on how the repainting goes I might try weathering.

If you want to go the best minimalist on the weathering part, just use really washed down black paint inside the significant depths of the mask. For example, under the browline, the outside of the inside the cheeks, inside the mouthhole. Really slop it over there and a couple of minutes later just wipe the excess off. Just doing it on those areas would help define the depth when just a base coat would make it hard for people to see the mask from far away. Basically, creating a illusion of shadow where there's not :o :biggrin:If you seriously mess up, just grab a brush, spray the red paint on the bristles/foam, and reapply paint where you messed up. Then maybe some silver paint and dry-brush on some edges to highlight.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Sounds great, and absolute worst-case scenario I slop on some assorted colors, weather it up, and make it Infected! :PHaving done a fixer-upper on the paint, I declare V1 complete. I'll put up a pic or two to showcase.I think the next thing I'll do (probably not for a while) is create a mold, probably from fiberglass, and use it to experiment with different-materiel masks, like fiberglass, resin, plaster of paris, clay, etc. This would make it quicker and easier to make a mask, along with allowing for easier mistake correction. Mayhaps I could make a 2-piece pour mold and cast some masks? The possibilities are many.*editWhoops double-post. Very sorry.

Edited by Than the Moa
double post merged

Having done a fixer-upper on the paint, I declare V1 complete. I'll put up a pic or two to showcase.I think the next thing I'll do (probably not for a while) is create a mold, probably from fiberglass, and use it to experiment with different-materiel masks, like fiberglass, resin, plaster of paris, clay, etc. This would make it quicker and easier to make a mask, along with allowing for easier mistake correction. Mayhaps I could make a 2-piece pour mold and cast some masks? The possibilities are many.*editWhoops double-post. Very sorry.
If you make the mold, selling masks made by the mold to people at lego conventions with a strong BZP presence would be cool.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Having done a fixer-upper on the paint, I declare V1 complete. I'll put up a pic or two to showcase.I think the next thing I'll do (probably not for a while) is create a mold, probably from fiberglass, and use it to experiment with different-materiel masks, like fiberglass, resin, plaster of paris, clay, etc. This would make it quicker and easier to make a mask, along with allowing for easier mistake correction. Mayhaps I could make a 2-piece pour mold and cast some masks? The possibilities are many.*editWhoops double-post. Very sorry.
If you make the mold, selling masks made by the mold to people at lego conventions with a strong BZP presence would be cool.
Fiberglass, I might be confused but shouldn't it be a latex/silicone glove surrounded by a fiberglass shell?also, just make sure you have something unique to mark your masks; you don't want any re-casters making copies out ov your copy and selling them :P

Yeah, like I said it's just an idea. I'll need to research before I can start getting materials, and I may need TLG permission to sell them. However, if I could sell them it would be most excellent (with your permission of course?).Anyway, picture of the more-or-less-final mask!full_size_kanohi_hau_finished_by_lacertusmaximus-d56gqir.jpgsorry bout the glare, it was the best shot of a ton that I took blind while trying to balance the mask just right...

Yeah, I figured the hoodie would be a pretty good touch. I'm considering, if I ever want to wear the mask anywhere, getting a zip-up red U-D-D hoodie to go with the mask and sword (whenever the sword is finished...)I actually had another, better picture of the mask but the angle showed much more of my room than I wanted to, including my Aperture's Requiem print on a nearby orange wall. :D so yeah... a little nerdy. Also you can't really see but the poster reflection of my bookcase includes some of my favorite Bionicles lined up on a shelf.

*EditI just completed hot-gluing mesh into the openings of the mask- It's not completely opaque from the outside, but it adds a little texture to the mask and somewhat obscures the face behind it.*actual edit: derp. Sorry again for the double-post. Need to fix that.

Ah that's fine. Nothing much going on for me. I think I want to throw away this Halo Reach Package I'm making because it's way too heavy and possibly brittle.Maphrox sent me some new files to try out. Here's a preview of the Ruru.nobleruru.png

Awesome! I hope you finish the Ruru File soon, because I'm priming my amon mask and and almost finished glueing my kaukau. As soon as you finish the Ruru file I'll get started on that

I've finished glueing my Kaukau (except for the visor) and will hopefully be priming it soon. I've also finished and primed my Amon mask, although thats a bit off-topic.I'm going to start on the pakari, kakama, and hau next.

So I've been looking through all the old D'Anda/Elliot comics and i see that all the masks are very worn. I think I'll do another Hau and fix some of the mistakes I made on the old one and this time I'll weather it, but the question is- what color should I do? I'm thinking either Gold, yellow, or infected...