DC Collectible Minifigures Series Wishlist

The 1st Shadow

So, a while back, my cousin, Meyres the Anchorman, posted a topic asking what you'd like to see if LEGO ever did a Marvel-based series of Collectible Minifigures, similar to the Simpsons or LEGO Movie ones.

Well, this evening, he and I discussed what we might like to see in a DC version of the same. However, after a few minutes of discussion, we deduced that it would be beneficial to have a New 52 series and a pre-52/Silver Age series, to give collectors and fans a lot of variety. Together, we devised 2 or 3 complete series from both timelines for your consideration. After you've read our thoughts, feel free to add to it and let us know what characters/versions you'd like to see in ABS form.

Series 1: New 52--We figured we'd go with this one first to give current fans a set of familiar figures that would be immediately recognized and coveted

1. Green Arrow--He's one of my favorite DC heroes, so of course I picked him. Plus, it'd be cool to see him standing next to his Pre-52 version
  2. Agent 37/Grayson--Meyres' pick for a cool New 52 character, and because he likes the Grayson character
  3. Black Hand--I figured we need another Lantern character that isn't Hal Jordan
  4. Jimmy Olsen--who said they all had to be heroes or villains? Supporting characters are just as important.
  5. Captain Cold--The only difference here is that I'd like to see an iteration closer to his CW version, because he's easily my favorite character in Legends of Tomorrow
  6. Ares--According to my cousin, he counts as a Wonder Woman villain. So, yeah, he would compliment....
  7. God of War Wonder Woman--it's nice to have different versions of a character we've already seen in sets.
  8. Reverse Flash
  9. Cisco "Vibe" Ramone--Like Captain Cold, I'd want to see the CW version, or something close to it
  10. Kyle Rainer--because he's another significant Lantern character
  11. Red Hood--would compliment the Agent 37 character as another member of the Bat Family, as well as adding another villain
  12. Cyborg Superman--would be cool to see in plastic form
  13. Malcolm Merlyn/Dark Archer--would compliment the Green Arrow character
  14. Booster Gold--Because why not?
  15. CW Flash--Because the outfits between timelines are very pretty similar for Barry Allen, and the CW version would give us a dark red and gold Flash instead of normal red and bright yellow.
  16. Orion--Another of Meyres' picks that I know little about

Series 2: Pre-52--The second series would encompass the earlier versions of the characters to give the die-hard fans a nice throwback to days long past

1. Jay Garrick/Flash--This would give us a distinct contrast to the Barry Allen Flash, whose outfits are fairly similar across his iterations. This would give us more variety
  2. Red Robin--another iteration of Robin that hasn't appeared in any sets
  3. Bronze Age Green Arrow--As I said before, it would be cool to see the contrast between his classic and modern outfits
  4. Hush--appeared in the Batman 3 game, but would be nice to see in plastic
  5. Black Canary--enough said
  6. Alan Scott Green Lantern--would really give it some variety
  7. 90's Superboy--I agree with Meyres that this one would be a nice addition
  8. Silver Age Braniac--Would be an interesting take on the character.
  9. The Question--Because that's why.
  10. Silver Age Red Tornado--Not the coolest one in my opinion, but if he was good enough to make it into B3: Beyond Gotham, then this would be fine
  11. Talia Al'Ghul--Because another Batman character should show up, and we need more female characters
  12. Raven--A well-known member of the Teen Titans, and would give us a purple hood piece
  13. Bizarra--The Bizarro version of Wonder Woman would also be a nice addition to the lineup
  14. Zatanna--we both agreed that one magical young woman wasn't enough, and Zatanna was a significant JLA character and would make a great addition to the character lineup
  15. Deadman--Dunno who he is, but Meyres seems to think he'd be good.
  16. Miss Martian--Appeared in B3: Beyond Gotham, and I think she'd be a good compliment to Martian Manhunter, who we've already got two iterations of.

So, there you have our idea for a potential Collectible Minfigures line of DC characters. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot to add the third series we thought of. Introducing....

Series 3: Batman--You wondered at our lack of mention of Batman in the other two lineups, right? Well, we found a solution for that....

1. First Appearance Batman--A different version of that Bat than we're used to, his cape more closely resembled wings, and this one regularly used guns and wasn't above killing
  2. 60's Batman
  3. George Clooney Batman
  4. '89 Batman
  5. DCAU Batman
  6. Arctic Batman
  7. Sensor Suit Batman
  8. Power Suit Batman
  9. Dark Knight Batman
  10. LEGO Movie Batman
  11. Brave and the Bold Batman
  12. Blue Batman
  13. Darkest Night Batman (Lantern suit)
  14. Electricity Suit Batman
  15. Batzarro
  16. Batfleck

Enjoy. :P

Edited by The 1st Shadow
  • Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I personally think it's way too over-inclusive. There's too many different molds/designs/characters to represent, and from what we've seen of the Disney minifigures, Lego's not too good at extensive variety. Besides that, this would lead to Marvel and DC fighting over the right to have minifigure waves, and this would also prevent getting the normal waves we have been getting.

But it's a nice concept.

Neat and thoughtful lists, but certainly not something I could see Lego doing; not enough popular characters that kids would recognize. Looking at it from an older person's standpoint (as I assumed you meant for it), though, pretty cool! Gotta have a Batman, though, so I'd love to see Frank Miller's Batman in the Pre-52 line.

Edited by Hardhead

I so wish both marvel and D.C. Had a minifig series but alas it will never happen (becomes reverse flash and looks at brickset on April 24, 2024 sees title reads article) never mind welp there goes all my money in the future man that punisher and hush minfigs look so cool!

• Upvote 1

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

I personally think it's way too over-inclusive. There's too many different molds/designs/characters to represent, and from what we've seen of the Disney minifigures, Lego's not too good at extensive variety. Besides that, this would lead to Marvel and DC fighting over the right to have minifigure waves, and this would also prevent getting the normal waves we have been getting.

But it's a nice concept.

As I pointed out, Meyres had already posed the question for the Marvel side of things. It's plausible that each one could have a line, but we're focusing on DC here. ;)

Neat and thoughtful lists, but certainly not something I could see Lego doing; not enough popular characters that kids would recognize. Looking at it from an older person's standpoint (as I assumed you meant for it), though, pretty cool! Gotta have a Batman, though, so I'd love to see Frank Miller's Batman in the Pre-52 line.

We left Batman out for the sole reason that he's in nearly every single DC Superheroes set. Same with Superman, especially since both he an Batman have a line of sets dedicated to a movie about them both. And actually, most of the ones we picked are fairly mainstream characters. For the first Series, only Ares, Orion, and maybe Black Hand would be less so. God of War Wonder Woman is another version of Wonder Woman, as we've already seen her in multiple versions in the sets.

Either way, many of our choices appeared in recent media, such as the DCAU, the CW shows, recent films, and/or featured heavily in the LEGO Batman video games. As such, there's probably only five or six on this whole list that wouldn't be recognized immediately. :)

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Too bad Mattel or Hasbro wont allow stuff like this to happen. They see it as competition.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Too bad Mattel or Hasbro wont allow stuff like this to happen. They see it as competition.

Actually, Mattel and Hasbro have basically no say in the matter. The mere fact that BOTH companies make super hero action figures is evidence enough that neither company has any sort of exclusive license to DC or Marvel articulated figures.

I would not be at all surprised to see a "The Lego Batman Movie" Minifigures series next year. That may not include that many non-Batman-related heroes and villains, but would certainly be able to cover some of the DC characters who haven't appeared in sets before now.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Actually, Mattel and Hasbro have basically no say in the matter. The mere fact that BOTH companies make super hero action figures is evidence enough that neither company has any sort of exclusive license to DC or Marvel articulated figures.

I would not be at all surprised to see a "The Lego Batman Movie" Minifigures series next year. That may not include that many non-Batman-related heroes and villains, but would certainly be able to cover some of the DC characters who haven't appeared in sets before now.

Aren't Mattel and Hasbro one company now?

Nope, definitely not.

As a side note, a lot of people get the impression that the Lego Super Heroes license has many of the same kinds of restrictions upon it that the Star Wars license did (such as the inability to create minifigure packs). In reality, Hasbro's exclusive license for Star Wars figures is somewhat out of the ordinary—they only got that license due to acquiring smaller toy company Kenner, which had had that exclusivity deal since near the beginning of the franchise's history. DC and Marvel have not been nearly as selective in their merchandising deals as Lucasfilm was (in fact, you could make a strong case that George Lucas' shrewd marketing sense is a huge part of why Star Wars has been so successful for so many years). I'm no expert on the intricacies of superhero merchandise, and there are very likely situations where specific shows, movies or franchises within the larger DC or Marvel umbrellas DO have some sort of exclusive merchandising deals. But in general, neither company has granted the exclusive rights to their entire stable of characters to any one action figure manufacturer.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Robin

Cyborg

Starfire

Raven

Beast Boy

Slade

Jinx

Terra

Bumblebee

Aqualad

Speedy

Mumbo

Blackfire

Control Freak

The Puppet King

Red X

Ooh, we hadn't thought of a Teen Titans series.... Not a bad idea!

EDIT: Actually, we did consider it. I was in a rush and forgot about it. We left out some of those because All the Titans except Raven have been released in minifig form already, as well as Slade/Deathstroke. Blackfire would be a recolor of Starfire, so there's really not a lot of variety in that one. Speedy/Roy Harper/Arsenal has been released in his New 52 form as a promotional item. So, a series based on the old Teen Titans show probably wouldn't be have much of a market, especially since it hasn't aired a new episode in years.

That said, we can still hope. :P After all, that's what this topic's about.

Edited by The 1st Shadow

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Nope, definitely not.

As a side note, a lot of people get the impression that the Lego Super Heroes license has many of the same kinds of restrictions upon it that the Star Wars license did (such as the inability to create minifigure packs). In reality, Hasbro's exclusive license for Star Wars figures is somewhat out of the ordinary—they only got that license due to acquiring smaller toy company Kenner, which had had that exclusivity deal since near the beginning of the franchise's history. DC and Marvel have not been nearly as selective in their merchandising deals as Lucasfilm was (in fact, you could make a strong case that George Lucas' shrewd marketing sense is a huge part of why Star Wars has been so successful for so many years). I'm no expert on the intricacies of superhero merchandise, and there are very likely situations where specific shows, movies or franchises within the larger DC or Marvel umbrellas DO have some sort of exclusive merchandising deals. But in general, neither company has granted the exclusive rights to their entire stable of characters to any one action figure manufacturer.

Your mostly right but I don't think Hasbro is going to let LEGO make a product that they would see as competition to their Marvel Legends line. Hasbro is the only company that makes Marvel action figures, and LEGO make Marvel building toys. Back when LEGO did make Star Wars minifigure pack there was a whole debate as to home many parts a LEGO set had to come with be be a building toy. LEGO is most likely going to play it safe and keep most of their licensed themes to that predetermined number. However the upcoming Disney minifigure wave could be a sign of things changing. 

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.