Favorite Toa Team

Now, I've seen that there are many topics on your "Favorite Bionicle Character" and such, but I haven't yet seen a Favorite Toa Team topic yet. (If there is one, call me out on it)

Anyway, this topic is exactly what the title say's; What's Your Favorite Toa Team Throughout All of Gen1? It can be a team from the entirety of Gen1; the Mata/Nuva, The Hagah, the Cordak, whichever.

My personal favorite team was/is the Toa Inika/Mahri, but mostly the Inika. Now, I by no means an experienced Bionicle fan, but I love the Inika storyline. And I also loved how all of the Toa Inika had previously been Matoran we've known from the very beginning, and seeing Jaller finally a Toa was very rewarding to me. And set wise, they were REVOLUTIONARY. New building style, tons of new pieces. Sure, there was no gear system, but hey, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

So, what's your favorite team?

EDIT: Mods, please move this topic to Bionicle Discussion. No idea why I put it in Storyline and Theories.

Edited by ToaPoraku
  • Upvote 1

Never use LEGO and Megabloks in the same build - Me.

Mine would be the Toa Nuva. They were the Toa that the series started out with, which gives them a nostalgic feel IMO. Plus, all of them had great personalities that bounced off each other really well. The friendship between Kopaka and Pohatu was a good example of that. And seeing them learn and grow as characters and heroes throughout the story was done well too. You could see how much experience they had when they got to the Karda Nui arc of the story. 

They also had some cool weapons and Kanohi Mask powers, which was also a plus. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm not really sure... they all had their great spots.  The Mata/Nuva started it all, so they kindof defined what a Toa team should be.  The armor style wasn't quite cloned - but again, they were the first, no one knew what to expect.  It looked like the same design, tailored to each Toa.

The Metru were cool, Metru Nui's my favorite story arc, but that had more to do with the world of Metru Nui than the Toa themselves.  I liked how they were never really heroes - they kept running from the law, unraveling conspiracies, going underground instead of fighting evil head-on, like the Nuva or Inika.  Their personalities were spot-on, too.  Vakama being a humble, almost shy leader, Matau being a reckless goofball, Whenua and Nuju constantly arguing over the past and future, down-to-earth Onewa keeping the team stuck in reality.

Then there were the Inika.  I didn't follow the story as closely for them, so I can't say much on their personalities.  But it was nice seeing the Matoran I knew and loved from MNOG and Mask of Light take the stage as Toa.  The Mahri were kindof ugly - I mean, look at those masks with the tubes and hoses sticking out of them.  But I loved how the sets were all different, hearkening back to the Nuva's tailored design, and each Toa rocked their own signature colors - Hahli's dark blue and lime, Hewkii owning Keetongu orange, Matoro even pulling off trans-blue as a main color.

So I guess I don't really have a favorite, all of them were good.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

It's difficult for me to say because the Mata/Nuva are the prime and original toa of the series but they definitely suffered. They were kept out of the line and focus for a little too long and when they did come back it felt like there wasn't so much of a focus on their characters as much as before, which had started to feel a little basic in comparison to what could be done.

Plus I was first started reading the comics with the Mahri so they were the first toa team I had really gotten to know, even though the Mata were the first I had been exposed to.

So I think the Inika/Mahri are my favorite, especially because of Matoro. Their dynamic as a toa team was really cool and interesting and overall they were refreshing and had very wonderfully flawed and complex characters.

Admittedly I've never read all of the books (I've read many but I really want to get my hands on all the classics) so it's hard for me to make a proper decision, but until I do read them I'll just go with that group. Plus the darker tone was pretty cool, showed an interesting and different place you could take that series.

So hard to choose. 

Character wise I'd say the Inika/Mahri were stronger characters. They didn't have the "bickering Toa" dynamic we had seen in the Mata or Metru, and they worked really well, were selfless, and faced some dark challenges. 

However I think the Mata are my favorite overall, their archetypes are fun, and the fact they were the six Toa who are present in both G1 and the reboot makes them really iconic.

I love the Metru to, but I think I give them the title of favorite Turaga any day!

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Toa Metru. Best story of the series, best epic Toa art.

They might not have been the most visually distinct nor the most creative builds, but they were the ones who introduced us to the matoran life cycle, metru nui, and had the best storyline, however brief it was.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Always been a huge fan of the Hagah. Love their backstory and how it opened up the world for Elite Toa

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

My favorite is the Toa Nuva. They are always awesome with their new armor and weapons. They can drive flying vehicles. They are so dedicated to their mission to reawaken Mata Nui that they never forget or give up. Plus, I love that they always combine their powers in big situations in battle or strategies.:)

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

That's a tough question because each team has their strengths. However, I don't think there's any doubt that the toa Nuva eventually became the most powerful and probably had the strongest brotherhood among themselves given the experience they had as a team. However, honestly I think the toa Ignika/Mahri had the greatest potential and best start. They never went through that bickering and lack of teamwork phase that we've seen in the other toa teams and that is because the Ignika team were used to working together in teams. As matoran they knew teamwork from either their experience on kohli teams or other matoran occupations. They didn't have the slow start the Mata did from coming with no knowledge of life and I'd argue that they were far more exposed to the brutality of the Makuta and had more hardships than the toa Metru did as matoran. Some of them had already had combat experience prior to becoming toa. This made them far better candidates for toa and it's no wonder the Red Star chose them.

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

The Mahri i mean they had the BIGGEST role even BIGGER than the Nuva now the METRU are also important but i mean the Mahri had to SAVE MATA NUI BEFORE HE DIES!

And in that team one of the Toa even DIED to bring him back THAT is dedication.

I also could've said that cause i like underwater themes.

Edited by Tahu3.0
  • Upvote 3

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

Mata, Nuva, Hagah, Inika, and Mahri all the way (not in that particular order).

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

So um... I'm guessing you like the good guys then.

Edited by Azon

What do you mean by this exactly?

pure_muscle.png

I was just commenting on how you said practically all of the toa teams are your favorite.

I was just commenting on how you said practically all of the toa teams are your favorite.
I really cant't choose a favorite team, they're all so good. However, the way you worded it, sounded like you were sayng that there are bad Toa Teams, and yes, while there are bad individual Toa, and bad Teams in AU's, however that doesn't necessarily mean that there are any known Bad Toa Teams in the actual mainline universe of G1. Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

I really cant't choose a favorite team, they're all so good. However, the way you worded it, sounded like you were sayng that there are bad Toa Teams, and yes, while there are bad individual Toa, and bad Teams in AU's, however that doesn't necessarily mean that there are any known Bad Toa Teams in the actual mainline universe of G1.

Well, the shadow Takanuva's I guess could be a "bad" toa team, but they're more of a horde in a sense, so yea I agree.

The Toa Metru had some weird design choices (monochrome, dull colors, lots of molded-on mechanical detail, strange gear function, clones) but they're still the coolest-looking to me. They really just look like they belong in their cyberpunk dystopia environment. Where the Mata had stylistic anachronism and the Inika had the confidence of a toy line that had six years to develop its aesthetics, the Metru did the best at just looking at home in their story.

Add that onto my nostalgia for them and their cute dynamic (who would've thought the wise Turaga would be so dysfunctional!) and they're definitely my favorite team.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as g1 goes, the mahri probably would be my favorites. I like the non cloned builds, and the whole underwater aesthetic and storyline was pretty cool to me. I actually really liked mahri hewkii, I don't care what others say, he's awesome. The main gripe I have with them is how heavy the blasters are, and the breaking joints on some sets. Although as far as bionicle as a whole, the 2015 masters might take the spot as the best team for me. There's just so much to love with them imo.

The Toa Metru. Mostly because I became interested in Bionicle on 2005, so my fondest memories come from that year's story. I personally think the Metru/Hordika had one of the biggest growth both as a group and as individuals.

First of all, life before becoming Toa. The Mata had amnesia when they arrived on Mata Nui, before that they were pretty sure about their role as heroes. The Inika had a lot of experience in combat related stuff (except Matoro), so their transition into a functional Toa Team was easier. The Metru, on the other hand, were common Matoran: A maskmaker, a teacher, a historian, a carver, a test pilot and a scholar; Not the exact profiles you're looking for in a team of heroes; but still they managed to work part of their previous experiences into their new role as heroes: Vakama forging the Vahi, Whenua explaning what the Visorak are, Matau building the airships to evacuate the Matoran, etc. (I can't recall instances on the other ones, but maybe searching the novels and comic books might show something)

Second, life as Toa. The Mata already had their power and skill, their adventures revolved around learning Unity and facing an overwhelming invasion (the Bohrok). The Inika already had an idea of what Toa were and should be, they saw the previous failures of their heroes and learned to avoid it, there wasn't much for them left to learn, the main conflict came from the critical importance of their mission. The Metru, while they knew what a Toa was supposed to do, they weren't ready for the job. They had their first victory against the Morbuzakh, but expending all of their power ment they embarrased themself in the Coliseum and half of them got captured. Unlike the Mata and the Inika, they had to actively learn how to use thier mask. They also had to learn how to work together. But even in the middle of their defeat and their failure to prevent the Great Cataclysm, they managed to turn the tables on Makuta, rescue some Matoran and discover the island of Mata Nui. However, because they had never archieved such a feat, some of them, especially Vakama, became overconfident.

Transformation! The now-Nuva had a big power-up both in strenght and ego, so they had to learn to level their arrogance. The Mahri suffered, arguably, a downgrade, which made their desperate mission all the more difficult. But the biggest downgrade was for the Hordika: Their power became locked on Rhotuka spinners, they lost their mask powers and little by little were becoming more savage. Even with Vakama leaving they managed to rescue the Matoran in one of the biggest battles in the story. They went from the lowest lows to one of the mayor victories that ensuerd the other Toa's destinies could be fufilled.

• Upvote 1

Now, I've seen that there are many topics on your "Favorite Bionicle Character" and such, but I haven't yet seen a Favorite Toa Team topic yet. (If there is one, call me out on it)

Haha, I made a topic like this many years ago, does that count? :P

Toa Inika/Mahri for me. This alone makes the predicament for the Toa Mahri at the end of G1 all the more annoying for me.

I find Jaller Mahri has one of the best set designs, and I have him on my shelf in my room. The Arthron is also my favored mask.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

The Mata/Nuva.  Mostly because I felt the early years of Bionicle got a bit more mileage out of them as characters than the others, because I liked the older stuff's writing more than later G1 media, and because, well, I started with Kopaka Mata. :D

I rather like their G2 counterparts as well, actually.  They were like a great big derpy dysfunctional family, and I enjoyed that. :P

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )