Big Bad Ekimu?!

Hmmm... If anything I don't see Ekimu becoming the villain, per se, but he's not exactly the nicest guy, and he shouldn't have to be. Not all of the Turaga in G1 were nice, and after all, Ekimu has to train these Toa, so he pretty much has to be stern with them. Plus this guy has to build up the society of the City of the Mask Makers back to it's former state. I wouldn't say that's an easy task.

Plus, it's kind of comes down to how Ekimu wants the Mask of Control. Makuta wanted the Mask of Creation and for Skull Grinder to destroy it, and Ekimu wants to do the same for Makuta's mask. It makes logical sense; they want to keep each other in power checks. It's kind of a competition.

So nah, I don't believe Ekimu is evil. The storyline is simple so far, and making Ekimu evil I don't think would accomplish too much to the narrative.

If anything, I think Ekimu is meant to be sort of the "Takanuva" of the group, and the replacement for the light/shadow dynamic is creation/destruction, seeing as to Umarak becoming the "Destroyer."

Hey, I'm Fatorak. I made this account back in November for the Golden Mask contest, but I decided I might as well use it for something more useful. So yeah, I'm gonna be more active on here, or at least TRY to be!

You can't really think Lego would make a story that complicated would you?

Based on Lego's track record, I highly doubt they'd make Ekimu the bad guy.

Lego generally has a "track record" for making functional stories that feature well-developed characters and have consistent messages, rather than undermining kids' favorite characters for the sake of a cheap plot twist. They've slipped up at that at times (like Greg's horrible decision to utterly derail Velika's character in G1), but for the most part, they're smarter than to confuse darkness and unpredictability for actual good writing.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You can't really think Lego would make a story that complicated would you?

Based on Lego's track record, I highly doubt they'd make Ekimu the bad guy.

Hopefully you're right. I don't think having Ekimu's motivations be wildly different than what they appear to be would do it any favors. As I mentioned, an eleventh-hour twist like that doesn't work too well in a kid-oriented series unless you visibly build up to it from the get-go.

G1 Bionicle generally did this very well. Just comparing 2015 with 2004, Turaga Dume was presented as shady and potentially sinister from his very first in-person appearance (the Kolhii tournament in Legends of Metru Nui). The set even had an eerie red and black color scheme and flew around on a spooky vulture monster! For all the Bionicle story's complications, neither the sets nor the story tried to be very subtle about which characters were good and which were evil.

Ekimu, on the other hand, has been a fairly reliable ally to the Toa, guiding them to his tomb and then helping them defeat Skull Grinder and making new masks for them. He also helps to teach them the value of unity. Both versions of him in the sets are presented in blue and gold "good guy" color coding and present him as an opponent to the Toa's toughest enemies.

The G1 story team never set a character up as a "good guy" only to reveal years later that they were evil all along, aside from the clumsy and out-of-nowhere Velika reveal (which technically never even made it into the final story, it just got revealed through a Greg answer). No reason for G2 to do that either.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

Brutaka also had a royal blue and gold color scheme. Look what we got with him

And yes, Turaga Dume was shown as shady since day one. But after the Toa awoke Ekimu, he was impatient, rude, and inherently dishonest(a little bit). It isn't that far off to consider him a possible liar and anti-hero.

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

And yes, Turaga Dume was shown as shady since day one. But after the Toa awoke Ekimu, he was impatient, rude, and inherently dishonest(a little bit). It isn't that far off to consider him a possible liar and anti-hero.

I mean, Yoda was dishonest, impatient and rude with Luke for Star Wars. A lot of wise masters are like that in common media. I don't see why Ekimu has to be scrutinized for the same.

A wise teacher has to be stern and to the point, and if someone (let's take Tahu, for instance) is arrogant and charges into an enemy and gets his mask ripped off, Ekimu has to call out his errors in a stern way because Tahu didn't listen.

The Toa still trust the guy, though.

Hey, I'm Fatorak. I made this account back in November for the Golden Mask contest, but I decided I might as well use it for something more useful. So yeah, I'm gonna be more active on here, or at least TRY to be!

How do you know Ekimu is scheming? Sure he wants the Mask of Control and to destroy it, but then again, Makuta wanted Kulta to do that for the Mask of Creation.

As I've stated above, I feel it's just them trying to out-wit each-other.

And yes, I watched Journey to One. He didn't come across as suspicious to me at all. If Lego wanted that they'd make it more obvious, judging what we've seen from their other themes (Ninjago and stuff).

Also bringing up Dume only helps this claim because it was obvious he was up to no good. Now VAKAMA as a Turaga, on the other hand, refused to tell the Matoran the truth about Mata Nui's death or the disappearance of the Toa Nuva, leading to the Matoran's persistence to know. I feel Ekimu is acting more like G1 Vakama than Dume.

Not to mention both where a Mask Maker to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Fair point. Brutaka had other design cues to help him stand out as evil, though, like a lot of sharp and aggressive contours and evil reddish-orange eyes. 2006 was actually the first year good and evil characters had their eyes strictly color-coded this way, something which happened again in 2008, 2010, and 2015. Needless to say, despite some superficial similarities between Ekimu and Brutaka, Ekimu's design is still coded as good, whereas Brutaka and Dume's designs were coded as evil.

Off-topic, glad you mentioned this because when I went to pull Brutaka down from my shelf I realized that said shelf was on the verge of collapsing. Much nicer to realize that now than when it falls on me in my sleep. :P

I could see Ekimu being at odds with the Toa when it comes to morals later on, and i feel that route might actually be more complex and character-driven then him being either controlled by makuta, or just sneaky and evil inside. o:

Off-topic, glad you mentioned this because when I went to pull Brutaka down from my shelf I realized that said shelf was on the verge of collapsing. Much nicer to realize that now than when it falls on me in my sleep. :P

All these years and he's still a backstabbing traitor... (brutakattack)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

That would be brutal!

I made a funny

I like the "Makuta controlling Ekimu" Theory. I tried to make that point earlier but I guess it didn't go far :P

I am not sure whether Ekimu is good or not, though if Lego did pull the "Good Guy is Really Evil" twist I hope there would be more built up. As for "destroying the Mask of Control", I think the primary reason Ekimu wants to get it is in order to prevent his brother from regaining his full strength. From what has been seen, Ekimu required the energy of the six Toa to awaken, and his Mask of Creation or MoUP to access his full power. I think that since Makuta wore the MoUP, he was endowed with the six elements in the form of the shadows that consumed him. Therefore, because of this, he was able to be much more involved with the universe compared to Ekimu, by directly ordering minions around and in some cases even managing to raise the dead, through undisclosed means. The six elements of the MoUP gave him this enhanced ability to still interact with Okoto, while he then needs either:

a. The six elements once again

b. The Mask of Control

c. The Mask of Ultimate power

To fully awaken and be a present, in his own form, in this universe once again. Just my thoughts though.

I am not sure whether Ekimu is good or not, though if Lego did pull the "Good Guy is Really Evil" twist I hope there would be more built up. As for "destroying the Mask of Control", I think the primary reason Ekimu wants to get it is in order to prevent his brother from regaining his full strength. From what has been seen, Ekimu required the energy of the six Toa to awaken, and his Mask of Creation or MoUP to access his full power. I think that since Makuta wore the MoUP, he was endowed with the six elements in the form of the shadows that consumed him. Therefore, because of this, he was able to be much more involved with the universe compared to Ekimu, by directly ordering minions around and in some cases even managing to raise the dead, through undisclosed means. The six elements of the MoUP gave him this enhanced ability to still interact with Okoto, while he then needs either:

a. The six elements once again

b. The Mask of Control

c. The Mask of Ultimate power

To fully awaken and be a present, in his own form, in this universe once again. Just my thoughts though.

What if the Mask of Creation could trigger his return in a plot twist? All that time looking for the Mask of Control or the Mask of Ultimate power, and the villains ultimately use Ekimu's mask to awake Makuta. It would be like when Harry Potter's own blood was used to awaken Voldemort.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Oh, that would be good. Or, perhaps, they already began that process. What if Makuta never expected the Skull Army to succeed, and instead used Skull Grinder's proximity to the mask to infect it, in the same way Makuta could infect masks in G1? Maybe The MoC is a Trojan Horse, and eventually Makuta will use his influence over it to enslave his brother, and use him to destroy the Toa and those who oppose him. That could be a way to "punish" Ekimu for denying him power thousands of years before. On the other hand, that is kinda what happened in G1... :P

Oh, that would be good. Or, perhaps, they already began that process. What if Makuta never expected the Skull Army to succeed, and instead used Skull Grinder's proximity to the mask to infect it, in the same way Makuta could infect masks in G1? Maybe The MoC is a Trojan Horse, and eventually Makuta will use his influence over it to enslave his brother, and use him to destroy the Toa and those who oppose him. That could be a way to "punish" Ekimu for denying him power thousands of years before. On the other hand, that is kinda what happened in G1... :P

Well it was a successful story line. So it makes since that LEGO would recreate it.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

This may be a shameless G1 throwback(ish) but I'm going to throw it out here.

What if Makuta had a plan bigger than we realized?
Going with the Skull Army failing theory, he knew Kulta couldn't do it, but he needed the City of Mask Makers in his control. We'll assume he has Shadow based powers, because that's what it sounds like he has. He used his Shadows to plant a growing shadow in Ekimu's very soul. Slowly it grows and grows, turning Ekimu against Okoto. Say Ekimu really is the good guy, then Makuta uses this Shadow in Ekimu to turn him against the Toa. In 2017, the Shadow would take full effect, possessing Ekimu and altering his sense of reality, or locking his conscience away. The Toa would have to fight against the main villains of that year, Makuta, and Ekimu to save Okoto. The Toa want to cure Ekimu, and we would see them either attempt or succeed, and if we follow G1's pattern, the end of the first three years, placing us in a different storyline with a new goal, whether it would be a Metru-Nui style flashback, a new Toa team, or continuing the Toa Nuva's adventures. 

Brutaka also had a royal blue and gold color scheme. Look what we got with him.

But Brutaka had a bio on Bionicle.com that said he was evil. 

Personally I think Brutaka's morality is a thing of debate. He was a good guy gone bad who came back to the good side and then got mind-replaced in a plot twist by another dubious morality. 

• Upvote 2

Personally I thought having Brutaka as a amoral and really not on anyone's side(ish) was a very interesting point. The fight between him and Axonn was a great one.

Personally I thought having Brutaka as a amoral and really not on anyone's side(ish) was a very interesting point. The fight between him and Axonn was a great one.

Don't push your luck with this theory. Not with how simple and dumbed down the story is.

I can't believe people actually support is theory when we clearly know Ekimu is a good guy and quite obviously Makuta is evil. Enough of this "makuta didn't do anything wrong!" Lego isn't that smart, especially not with the new bionicle. Did anyone even consider Ekimu's upcoming Titan form?

• Upvote 1

Don't push your luck with this theory. Not with how simple and dumbed down the story is.

I can't believe people actually support is theory when we clearly know Ekimu is a good guy and quite obviously Makuta is evil. Enough of this "makuta didn't do anything wrong!" Lego isn't that smart, especially not with the new bionicle. Did anyone even consider Ekimu's upcoming Titan form?

The new Ekimu isn't really a Titan—he's only as big as the smaller Toa. Anyway, maybe Lego IS smart enough to know that a cheap, unforeshadowed, and nonsensical twist like making one of the main characters secretly evil the whole time or trying to force the story to work as a continuation of G1 is just a bad idea.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Lego is a smart company..

But Ekimu isn't the Big Bad Evil like a lot of people think. It would be cool if it was, but I think he will just be a secretive and dishonest amoral character

"Ekimu's not going to be evil, just have all the personality traits of looking like he's evil." Isn't that untrue? His characterisation has been the opposite, hasn't it?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I think the latest graphic novel kind of quashes the notion that Ekimu has been evil all along.

It's clear in the graphic novel that Ekimu really cares about his brother, and that he is filled with sadness and regret upon learning that Makuta is the evil that he saw prophecied when he put on the Mask of Time. Ekimu cries as he prepares to knock the Mask of Ultimate Power from Makuta's face. And the story told in this graphic novel is not a legend or a story being related by a Bionicle character, but a literal flashback — so Ekimu's sympathetic portrayal here, unlike in previous books, can't simply be chalked up to an unreliable narrator.

However, does that mean Ekimu is perfectly honest, with no ulterior motives? Not necessarily. And it makes me rethink one piece of evidence that's been presented in favor of an evil/deceitful Ekimu:

After destroying the skull spider "taken over" skull warriors in Journey to One, Gali says "and then we can destroy it!" to Ekimu (regarding the mask of control). Ekimu's voice seems to darken, and he says "You have much to do first. Go. I have masks to make." It almost seems like he does not want the mask destroyed.

That is sort of curious, isn't it? Instead of agreeing to destroy the Mask of Control — something that would surely help to keep Makuta from using its power against him — Ekimu changes the subject. So let's suppose he doesn't want to destroy the Mask of Control. How come? Some people are assuming this means he wants the Mask of Control for himself, but what if he doesn't? What if he wants it for Makuta? Let's not forget that Makuta, back when he wore the Mask of Control, was not evil — simply jealous of the adoration Okoto's people had for Ekimu's masks. Maybe Ekimu still has hope his brother can be saved from the Mask of Ultimate Power's corruption, and wants to have his mask ready for him when that happens.

Ekimu might not want the Toa to know this — yet. It would not be good for Okoto if the Toa were to hesitate in battle because they're not sure whether or not to think of Makuta as "the enemy". But while Ekimu surely wishes to stop his brother's evil plans, he hasn't committed to destroying his mask the way Makuta was prepared to have Skull Grinder destroy the Mask of Creation. Maybe that is a sign Ekimu still loves his brother and isn't ready to give up on him just yet.

• Upvote 3

Gonna leave my old post that expresses my view on this theory

I love the idea that Ekimu is actually the bad guy. Long ago, when the mask makers were still around, Makuta found out that Ekimu was becoming evil and corrupt and planed to rule Okoto as an dictator on his own. Since Makuta had inferior masks, and his brother could easily create more powerful masks than him, He spent a really long time making a mask that would countain enough power to defeat his brother, the Mask of Ultimate power. They eventually fought, but the fight ended on a tie, and the two entered a coma, and the 3 masks were scattered all over the island. The protectors at the time, mistaking that Makuta made the mask to take over the Island, interpreted that Makuta was the evil one, and that Ekimu was trying to stop him. Makuta, on the other hand, is weak and not full recovered, so he is doing what he can, sending his minions; Kulta to destroy the Mask of Creation, and Umarak to recover the Mask of Control for him, and to capture the elemental creatures so the Toa have less chances of getting the Mask of Control. Now that he is awake, Ekimu is using the Toa, gaining their trust, so they can recover the remaining 2 masks for him. Once he have The Mask of Creation, The Mask of Control, and The Mask of Ultimate Power, Ekimu will become invincible and betray everyone, unleashing a dark age of tyranicall rule over all Okoto. The Toa then will have to side with Makuta to defeat and free the Island.

Also I still haven't watch Journey to one, but it appears that nor denies or confirms this theory.

Now that's an interesting theory! Just one question: if Makuta was still alive when the Toa first arrived on Okoto, it seems likely that he would be informed of their arrival. In that case, I wonder what would prevent Makuta from reaching out to the Toa and explain that he is the good guy?

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

I think the latest graphic novel kind of quashes the notion that Ekimu has been evil all along.

It's clear in the graphic novel that Ekimu really cares about his brother, and that he is filled with sadness and regret upon learning that Makuta is the evil that he saw prophecied when he put on the Mask of Time. Ekimu cries as he prepares to knock the Mask of Ultimate Power from Makuta's face. And the story told in this graphic novel is not a legend or a story being related by a Bionicle character, but a literal flashback — so Ekimu's sympathetic portrayal here, unlike in previous books, can't simply be chalked up to an unreliable narrator.

However, does that mean Ekimu is perfectly honest, with no ulterior motives? Not necessarily. And it makes me rethink one piece of evidence that's been presented in favor of an evil/deceitful Ekimu:

After destroying the skull spider "taken over" skull warriors in Journey to One, Gali says "and then we can destroy it!" to Ekimu (regarding the mask of control). Ekimu's voice seems to darken, and he says "You have much to do first. Go. I have masks to make." It almost seems like he does not want the mask destroyed.

That is sort of curious, isn't it? Instead of agreeing to destroy the Mask of Control — something that would surely help to keep Makuta from using its power against him — Ekimu changes the subject. So let's suppose he doesn't want to destroy the Mask of Control. How come? Some people are assuming this means he wants the Mask of Control for himself, but what if he doesn't? What if he wants it for Makuta? Let's not forget that Makuta, back when he wore the Mask of Control, was not evil — simply jealous of the adoration Okoto's people had for Ekimu's masks. Maybe Ekimu still has hope his brother can be saved from the Mask of Ultimate Power's corruption, and wants to have his mask ready for him when that happens.

Ekimu might not want the Toa to know this — yet. It would not be good for Okoto if the Toa were to hesitate in battle because they're not sure whether or not to think of Makuta as "the enemy". But while Ekimu surely wishes to stop his brother's evil plans, he hasn't committed to destroying his mask the way Makuta was prepared to have Skull Grinder destroy the Mask of Creation. Maybe that is a sign Ekimu still loves his brother and isn't ready to give up on him just yet.

I think this is more likely than the whole 'Ekimu is evil' thing, and makes the story better. It shows that there is a clear cut line between good and evil, but when you walk the wrong path it is hard to see, and it's equally as hard to accept that a loved one has failed.

Look, it would be a mind blowing twist, but let's remember this story is for kids now, or at least centered around a child age group. This isn't Metal Gear Solid. There is no major character twist and plus, why give us the theme of good vs. Evil? Because, do not lie to me, that is the theme of the new bionicle. Good vs. evil, not good being played by someone who is actually evil. Now take a look at Ekimu's mask, the legendary mask of creation. It's the "good" mask compared to the more scornful looking mask of control.

• Upvote 1

Guys. LEGO is not a stupid company. Just because you all think it's kid centered doesn't mean there is no room for any more plot. 2001 was a pretty simple year of get the masks, fight Makuta, with MNOG doing the world-building. 2016 has been a very good year thus far, and 2017 could amp it up more. Umarak's attempted betrayal was pretty mature, what with not wanting to serve a higher power, and remain the Hunter and keep the Mask of Control for himself. The after effects were pretty gruesome. Makuta forcibly fusing the Mask to his face and ripping up his body to suit a new position as the Destroyer, possibly having his free will stripped away, becoming a servant against his will.

Is that still "for kids"? It isn't as complex as G1, sure, but y'all could open your eyes a little bit. I like where it's going, and a twist such as Ekimu being amoral is always a possibility.

• Upvote 3

On Ekimu being a grouch and all, Tahu and Kopaka have proven time and again that being a jerk doesn't automatically make you evil.  :P 

Also, consider that Ekimu has been through a lot. He found out his brother hates him, had to fight said brother, caused an island-wide explosion to go off in their faces, went into hibernation for years on end, then immediately had to start training a bunch of oversized kids. I'd be pretty grumpy, too.  :P 

I'm not dismissing the possibility of either a mind-controlled Ekimu or for him to have conflicting interests down the road, but I do believe that G2 is a bit too laid-back* for any sort of "shocking plot twist." Other than probably wanting to keep Makuta alive out of compassion, I don't see Ekimu truly disagreeing with the Toa on anything. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

*I think this is what people mean when they keep saying "a kids' story."

• Upvote 1

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

It is a kid story, but granted the topics that it handles are pretty mature. Like a lot of people say Bionicle G2 isn't intelligent enough to hold itself up. Of course in it's first years it's going to be simple enough to attract new fans, but G1 was the same way.
I'm still hoping for a mind control twist kinda :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome theory!

My idea is that Ekimu is using the toa to collect all of the masks so he can gain ultimate power. Then in the last year of G2 we have an awesome finale of Ekimu fighting the toa with a melded super mask. Maybe not that far but an evil Ekimu using the masks the toa have collected for him. 

Probably not, but an awesome theory otherwise!

Edited by ksprice45