LEGO Minecraft 21128 The Village Revealed

21128_The_Village_Reveal_teaser.jpg

Minecraft has been a huge hit for LEGO since its introduction as a Cuusoo set, much to the confusion of many AFOLs. The game is still very popular though, and it turns out that it's still big enough to get a Direct To Consumer set, so today LEGO is announcing 21128 The Village, the largest Minecraft set to date. We've got the hi-res images and press release right here, so read on to check out this upcoming set!

View the full article

This looks like a fantastic set, but the price per piece is a little bit surprising and discouraging. I'd expect a 1600-piece set to go for $150 to $170, not $200. I understand the many large plates used in the foundation probably add to the price, but I would have expected the amount of repetition in the rest of the building elements to help balance that out. If it were a $150 or $160 set I could see many LEGO fans, not just Minecraft fans, getting this set as a landscaping parts pack. As it is, though, I imagine even some Minecraft fans might be hesitant to pay $200 for this, which is a shame since it really is a very well rounded design inside and out.

The other thing that's unusual about this set is its age range. I don't think I've ever seen a $200 set with an age range as low as 8+, except of course for motorized trains. The age range is probably kept low by the use of fairly simple building techniques for a build that's divisible into many separate modules, much like 60097 (1683 pieces, $190, ages 6–12). Perhaps this wide age range might help make up for the somewhat prohibitive pricing.

I'm not a Minecraft fan so I can't really speak to whether the figure selection makes sense for this location or not. But it looks like it's more than enough for some really great and varied play potential.

This set is beautiful. It brings back so many memories of finding my first village after wandering hopelessly for days. It was a safe haven, and I use it as my base. The buildings are very accurate, and the play features are simple and useful. Buildings being able to flip up for access is a nice twist. The crops, players, villagers, animals and buildings really make this feel like a minecraft village. A hub of activity, and an expensive one at that. That price tag is really off-putting, but I'm sure there will be people who buy this set as a display piece or a set to play with.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015