SBC Contest #1: Imitation Is The Sincerest Form Of Mocery

Official SBC Contest #1: Imitation is the Sincerest Form of MOCeryIt's true you may be born with talent. Maybe Mozart had an innate ability for composition, just waiting to be unleashed. Perhaps Picasso possessed promising predilection for painting. Yes, it's possible that potential is innate.But potential goes nowhere if you don't learn how to apply it. Talent is useless without skill - and skill, we learn from those who come before us. Plato learned from Socrates; Beethoven learned from Haydn; Harrison, from Perkins. Lego's new Master Builder Academy highlights this concept of "learning from the masters," imparting lessons on building with Lego bricks from the actual Lego-employed Master Builders themselves. Even before this line's debut, however, this phenomenon was very visible in the Lego fan community: all of us who build MOCs and post them here have admired and learned from the great talent surrounding us in this community of fans.For our first contest in the new System-Based Creations contest, we want to celebrate all we've learned from each other. Your theme this month is to build a MOC inspired by another MOC that has motivated you or taught you something. Show what techniques you've learned from your peers and how you've made something unique from what you've learned. It's how we develop skill! Please provide a link to your source inspiration along with your entry. Do NOT, however, simply copy another MOC! This contest is about inspiration, not plagiarism.So what are you waiting for? Get out there and make your predecessors proud!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Entries begin being accepted as soon as this topic is posted, and will stop being accepted on Wednesday, December 23rd - aka FESTIVUS - at 11:59 P.M. EST. We will accept unlimited entries for this contest, so there's no need to rush your entry. To enter, simply post a link to your .jpg or .gif entry picture in this topic. Your entry post in this thread should appear as follows:Entry Name:Entry Pic URL:Inspiration Source URL:Topic URL (if applicable):------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A running tally of entrants will be updated daily IN A SEPARATE PINNED TOPIC, which will be posted shortly after the first entries are received.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Voting Process:Semifinal Voting begins December 24th and ends December 26th at 11:59 P.M. EST.Final Voting begins December 27th and ends December 29th at 11:59 P.M. EST.The contest winner and final voting results will be posted in a separate thread on December 30th.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rules:1) Your entry may not have been published prior to the start of this contest. You may make your own topic before posting in the official entry thread, but you must create a post in the entry topic before it is closed in order to be officially entered. If, after posting your entry anywhere on BZP but before officially entering it (including the blogs), you modify it and then enter it, you will be disqualified. You may only start one topic for your entry. Please post only one main pic in this entry thread and a link to the rest of the pics in the gallery on your image host (most likely Brickshelf, Photobucket, or Flickr). You can do pictures as normal in your own separate thread. If you need help posting pictures, please see this topic.2) Don't PM the contest host unless you have to. Ask questions in this topic and the host or an assistant will answer it.3) Painted parts are NOT ALLOWED. No non-LEGO parts. All other LEGO parts are fair game; however, for the most part, they should be System pieces. Let's say, at least 75% of the MOC should be System parts. Pictures in which the appearance of the MOC has been edited in Photoshop or other editing software are also prohibited. If either method is used, the MOC will be disqualified. The background may be edited, as long as it does not alter the appearance of the MOC.4) Only one entry per member. You cannot switch or modify models mid contest. Once you have entered, you may not "un-enter" your models and enter new or modified ones in their stead. You may opt to bow out of the contest for whatever reason but you cannot reenter under such a situation. If you get disqualified for any reason, you will not be allowed to reenter with another MOC in that contest.5) Any flaming will result in disqualification from the contest. Competition is good if you keep it clean. Everyone play fair, NO WHINING, no insults. I reserve the right to DQ any entry at any time for any reason.6) Absolutely, positively NO CHEATING! Anyone found to be cheating or even suspected of cheating will face immediate disqualification from this contest and will be banned from participating in future contests. They will likely also be banned from the site. Mods know this information, so you're not fooling anyone but yourself by thinking you can get away with it. We run a check on people with multiple accounts too, which is an offense that results in banning from BZP entirely, aside from the contest... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.7) No "this is unfair" posting. Some people have more parts, money, time, fish, gigs left on their hard drives, etc than others. That's life; we each have to do our best with what we have. Any excessive complaining may, at the judgment of the contest runner, disqualify you!8) Discussion is encouraged. Feel free to ask questions about models you see or about the contest in general. This is for us, the SBC builders; let's have some fun with it.9) The contest is open to all BZP members, and voting is open to all BZP members to participate in even if they did not enter an MOC. "Advertising" your MOC is fine by making a signature or avatar reminding people to vote for you, but mass-PMing is frowned upon and will just get you disqualified. Advertising your MOC in someone else's thread is also a major no-no. Spamming may result in PE loss or even post-count reductions, so don't do it.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Prizes:Prizes will be announced at the conclusion of the contest.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Contest Hosts:Tufi PiyufiMcSmeagContest Assistants:ArpyNuju MetruZikoWell, what are you waiting for? Get building already!

Edited by McSmeag
bring back "an cool dude"

Uh, about the voting - I doubt it will begin on November 24st. :P Might want to change that.Certainly an interesting theme, I'll see what I can come up with (if anything). More than anything, I just want more activity in this forum, and this contest is certainly a way to do that.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

oh finally! i have alot more system parts than bionicle parts, but first i need to find inspiration...... ARGH! so hard!

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

The first system based contest... yet more milestones. Probably won't enter.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

The first system based contest... yet more milestones. Probably won't enter.

It's far from the first System-based contest on BZPower. We had multiple contests in LGD (and LOC, when it existed). This is just the first one in this new forum, SBC.

I understand 75 % system parts,but I am not sure if like the bionicle warriors from back then had systems parts on thier legs and arms. Do those count as system parts? I understand 75 % system parts,but I am not sure if like the bionicle warriors from back then had systems parts on thier legs and arms. Do those count as system parts?

You'll have to show me the pieces you're talking about. Look them up on peeron and we'll tell you whether they're considered system or not for this contests' purposes.

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8998_1 Pieces from that set and Taka Nuva 2008 on the legs and arms.. I kinda don't really understand what system pieces look like. I kinda was not born at the time the sets were released. :P

I don't understand. If you were not born at the time Lego System sets were released, you would have had to have been born, lived, and died before 1949. We're talking about the regular, non-Technic/Bionicle lego bricks, you know, 90% of what the Lego company makes.This stuff:slideshow_1002073423_legos.jpgWhich you can buy in sets like this:batmobile-lego-set.jpgAnd build stuff like this with:chrisedwards01.jpgI hope this was thorough enough, haha. And to my knowledge, the Titan Mata Nui set you linked to has no System pieces in it.

Oh I get it now... I can use regular pieces...thank you for clearing that up......I thought you meant the theme system......Sorry.Also, I am guessing you can not make them in LDD?

We're holding off on LDD until we can get some guidelines sorted out. So no.

Would it count if we were inspired by an actual Lego set and made a better version of it?

No, MOCs only.
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

I have a question: Just what do you want us to link to for our inspiration? A topic, a brickshelf folder? I'd assume you just want a single image, but I want to make sure. Especially since I know exactly what I want to do, but I'm more inspired by a MOCer's work as a whole than any single creation of his.

I have a question: Just what do you want us to link to for our inspiration? A topic, a brickshelf folder? I'd assume you just want a single image, but I want to make sure. Especially since I know exactly what I want to do, but I'm more inspired by a MOCer's work as a whole than any single creation of his.

A specific image of a specific MOC, please.

I suppose I'll ask this for clarification, since I know it changes contest to contest.Can our MOC consist of seperate, non connected MOCs, or does it have to be a single connected creation? :music:

Because of the mechanics of this one, just one MOC, please.
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Entry Name: Lego Sonic the HedgehogEntry Pic URL: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/tarix1011/SONIC/067.jpgInspiration Source Url: http://www.mocpages.com/image_zoom.php?mocid=127952&id=/user_images/25816/1245029476m_DISPLAY.jpgTopic URL: Not applicate yet, and topic will be posted after this post.

Silver is my favorite Sonic character. Deal with it,

Go ahead clicky.

poster.png