Is Tamaru Actually a Misidentified Bo-Matoran?

This is something that has been in my head for a while now simply due to some pretty strange traits shown by this character, and that is this; Is Tamaru Actually a Misidentified Bo-Matoran? The reason why I think this is because it is said that Bo-Matoran dislike hights, and prefer to stay close to the ground, they enjoy water, whilst Le-Matoran hate it. We know that he wanted to be a part of the Gukko-Force, but failed to become one due to his fear of hights and flying, at least to my knowledge. We know that he likes to stay close to the ground and he enjoys being around and in water, it is an expressed detail about Bo-Matoran that they do enjoy these things too, as I've said.

So what do you all think of this? Lets discuss it.

• Upvote 9

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Oh goodie! I've seen this theory float around on other forums, and I gotta say it has some good thoughts to it, and it could be plausible! (Since Takua was originally identified as a Ta-Matoran.)

However, I like to think Tamaru's fear of heights is what makes him unique among the Le-Matoran of Mata Nui. I dunno, what you said certainly makes sense to me.

250px-Tamaru.png

Also, Tamaru happens to have lime green and turquoise(?) armor, while Bo-Matoran have green and blue armor. However, I feel his color of green armor looks like a mix of green and blue, so that also is entirely possible.

• Upvote 2

Hey, I'm Fatorak. I made this account back in November for the Golden Mask contest, but I decided I might as well use it for something more useful. So yeah, I'm gonna be more active on here, or at least TRY to be!

Entirely possible that a Bo-Matoran could have been visiting Le-Metru during the Toa Metru's adventures, and when revived from a matoran sphere simply assumed he/she was a le-matoran.

• Upvote 6

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

While probably not the original intent of the makers of MNOG, there isn't much that contradicts this theory.

There is one thing I'd like to draw attention to:

The reason why I think this is because it is said that Bo-Matoran dislike hights, and prefer to stay close to the ground, they enjoy water, whilst Le-Matoran hate it.

Citation needed. Did Greg reveal this on Lego.com recently or something? I don't think we know much about Bo-Matoran at all.

Entirely possible that a Bo-Matoran could have been visiting Le-Metru during the Toa Metru's adventures, and when revived from a matoran sphere simply assumed he/she was a le-matoran.

Well probably not since we know Tamaru had his own business in Le-Metru: Tamaru Transports. So whoever he was, he would have been living there for a while.
  • Upvote 5

I'm torn on this one- on the one hand, having a canon, named Bo-character would be great, but on the other, I still like the idea of oddball Matoran that are just completely different from everyone else in their element for no particular reason. It's just fun. Like, I wouldn't want it revealed that Midak was another Av-Matoran all along, for example.

Though, I kinda like the idea of visiting Matoran getting swept up in the great Cataclysm chaos and having to be assimilated into one of the six tribes.

Like, a few days after setting up the village of Ko-Koro, maybe Nuju notices a couple of  villagers engaging in strange behaviours such as making friendly conversation, complaining about the cold, running around outside during thunderstorms, and being female. So, deciding he's had enough of That Sort Of Nonsense, he has them sent off to live in Ga-Koro. It caused a few awkward questions at first ("So, if you're Ga-Matoran, why are you white?"), but they fitted in pretty well, aside from having to occasionally be reminded that thunderstorms and swimming do not mix.

The thing about Bo-Matoran enjoying swimming and being on the ground is fanon rather than actual canon, but you can't really dispute the logic. Plants love water and soil, so it follows that plant-people would like those things too. Some interpretations have it that Bo-Matoran don't mind heights and are good tree-climbers, but I'm happy to put that down to individual differences. After all, some plants grow or climb as high as they can, while others grow very low to the ground. (It'd be cool to see G2 Lewa exhibiting more plant-related traits, since we never got to see much of the Bo-type characters in G1).

• Upvote 7

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

To my knowledge, Matoran actually eventually discover what their element is on their own (from my memory of course, citation needed), but there have been some suposed cases in the Canon that either not all Matoran find what their actual element is (citation needed again), as in they mistake it for something else, or that they forget it, or have been told that they were one thing and yet they were something else. As stated before, it is known that Takua was thought to be a Ta-Matoran for a while, but this turned out to be false, though he was the only Ta-Character for a time to have a blue mask, regardless of this, he still was seen as such. That was until 2003 of course, when it was revealed to be otherwise.

But, we have another strange fellow named Kapura, perhaps the strangest of all Matoran, to me he shows signs of that of a Ce-Matoran, he seems to hold other strange powers to, but Kapura as a whole is a strange character, that I think that not even Templar knew as to how or who he really was, is, or was meant to be.

It has been brought up before the matoran named Midak, it would be cool to have another Av-Matoran who lived on Mata Nui, but this brings up a few issues here, if there were two Av-Matoran on Mata Nui, then why didn't Midak become a Toa? Was it not of his destony? Most likely, but then why is the 'Midak Skyblaster' named after him? This little detail of the canon has always intrigued me, as that I have actually never gotten the answer to, did Midak make the Blasters? Because I thought that Artakha made the adaptive armor AND the blasters.

But back on Tamaru, I personally do believe him to be a Bo-Matoran, something that I've noticed though, and this may just be an overlooked detail, but in certain instances, Tamaru's teal on his body has turned green in some cases, such as his Tohunga art, and the part in MNOG when he lands in the bush on the otherside of the sheer rockface. But why? Why turn green in a bush of all things? A thing of Plant life no less too. Again, it may just have been an overlooked detail, but what if Bo-Matoran actually have some sort of camouflage? It's certainly something to think about and consider, and would be a cool trait of Bo-Matoran to have in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

pure_muscle.png

Ooh, nice idea about the camouflage! I like the idea that Matoran's colours might naturally vary a little due to fluctuations in their elemental energy. Maybe they go duller and paler when they're sick, or shift slightly in response to environmental changes (Like how the Matoran seemed to have more greys and silvers in Metru Nui, but bright, solid colours on Mata Nui.) 

Midak skyblasters are called that because the blasters didn't have a name when the Toa first got them. The light spheres reminded Pohatu of a little eccentric light-loving Onu-Matoran he was friends with, so he wanted to name them after Midak (and Lewa just really really really liked the name "Skyblaster", sooo... compromise!)  Lewa and Pohatu are giant adorable dorks, basically.

• Upvote 4

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

While everyone's headcanon is their own and I don't totally mind the Trans!Tamaru headcanon as a way to add some much needed diversity and representation to G1... I can't help but think that trying to explain away Tamaru's fear of heights by making Tamaru a Matoran of a different element only serves to further homogenize the elemental tribes of Bionicle, and trying to justify or explain away all the quirks and oddities of the Chronicler's Company only diminishes their cohesion as a group and their misfit nature.

I mean, what happens if you take that train of thought to its logical conclusion? What if Taipu is actually a Po-Matoran, and that's why his colors are so weird? What if Kapura's bizarre powers and unusual social bearing are because he's actually a homicidal Great Being like Velika (the last adorably quirky character to get retconned to the point of being unrecognizable)? The farther you go down that road, the more you fragment what was perhaps one of the most compelling bands of elementally distinct Matoran characters in the entire series. And at the same time, you're just further enforcing the stereotypes that often defined the different elements by insisting that a character who deviates from those typical traits must be a different type of character entirely.

I dunno. Personally, I'm happy with the idea that Tamaru is just a regular Le-Matoran with an irregular phobia. After all, there's air almost everywhere—there's no reason why a Le-Matoran can't prefer to live their life closer to solid ground.

EDIT: One last note. The Bo-Matoran color scheme, like many of the color schemes Greg came up with for later elements, is plum terrible. I'm not saying that green and blue can't go well together, but when you've already had plenty of Water-aligned characters with green or Air-aligned characters with bluish colors, it doesn't make any freaking sense for the two colors together to suddenly represent an entirely different element. The same applies to Gravity (purple and black already being a common color scheme for Earth characters), Magnetism (gunmetal and black being common for both Earth AND Shadow characters),  and Lightning (with blue and white being used for the occasional Water character AND a huge number of Ice characters).

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 12

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

While everyone's headcanon is their own and I don't totally mind the Trans!Tamaru headcanon as a way to add some much needed diversity and representation to G1... I can't help but think that trying to explain away Tamaru's fear of heights by making Tamaru a Matoran of a different element only serves to further homogenize the elemental tribes of Bionicle, and trying to justify or explain away all the quirks and oddities of the Chronicler's Company only diminishes their cohesion as a group and their misfit nature.

I mean, what happens if you take that train of thought to its logical conclusion? What if Taipu is actually a Po-Matoran, and that's why his colors are so weird? What if Kapura's bizarre powers and unusual social bearing are because he's actually a homicidal Great Being like Velika (the last adorably quirky character to get retconned to the point of being unrecognizable)? The farther you go down that road, the more you fragment what was perhaps one of the most compelling bands of elementally distinct Matoran characters in the entire series. And at the same time, you're just further enforcing the stereotypes that often defined the different elements by insisting that a character who deviates from those typical traits must be a different type of character entirely.

I dunno. Personally, I'm happy with the idea that Tamaru is just a regular Le-Matoran with an irregular phobia. After all, there's air almost everywhere—there's no reason why a Le-Matoran can't prefer to live their life closer to solid ground.

Though the argument is compelling, the way I see it is that Tamaru is a Bo-Matoran, however, perhaps he doesn't know it, or he hides/hid it, or that he is just a Le-Matoran misfit. Eitherway, I do like the headcanon that Bo-Matoran do change color a bit like camouflage. Regardless of this however, the pount still stands. Is he a Le-Matoran? Or a Bo-Matoran? Either way I see it, it really doesn't matter, what matters is that these two types of matoran are relatable, and almost identicle. Yes, it is redundant to think such a thing, but remember, Stone and Earth are in that way very similar. Perhaps I am genralizing here, and maybe you're right, but ot would be cool no less if he just happened to be a Bo-Matoran afterall, perhaps I'm wrong, but it's at least fun to theorize.

• Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

Apparently, Tamaru's phobia dates all the way back to his Metru Nui days. Assuming he truly is a Le-Matoran, I have two theories as to why this is.

• He lived on the ground all his life up until his first flight. He expected it to be awesome, but decided it was too different and scary.
  • He got PTSD after surviving a fall from a high place.

Real-life psychology can apply to this as well. Many different outside factors, such as environment and experience, can mold a personality. There's a big chance that Tamaru could have had his personality shaped by experiences that were different from his peers. It's said that he likes swimming, right? That could be a contributing factor.

• Upvote 7

mindeth the cobwebs

Hmmm... Hearing Lyichir's argument on this, I gotta say I side with him. He makes a fantastic point: the quirkiness of the characters is kinda what gives them a nice personality, despite their tribes.

• Upvote 6

Hey, I'm Fatorak. I made this account back in November for the Golden Mask contest, but I decided I might as well use it for something more useful. So yeah, I'm gonna be more active on here, or at least TRY to be!

Hmmm... Hearing Lyichir's argument on this, I gotta say I side with him. He makes a fantastic point: the quirkiness of the characters is kinda what gives them a nice personality, despite their tribes.

It's not a bad thing to say if they're a different element or not, frankly regardless of his element it doesn't change his character, I just personally believe that he is a Bo-Matoran, all the evidence and facts put forth does support it, whilst you can say "don't generalize" frankly theres a lot of generalizing in BIONICLE to begin with, the assumption that just because your female you're automatically the element of water or another element that suspiciously uses the color blue. This was redefined in the Glatorian saga mind you, but the concept still applies, but not just that, there is generally a lot of generalizations in the MU in-lore, one such other one is that all Skakdi are savage brutes, or that all Makuta are evil, which they aren't, however the grand majority (i.e all except one) joined Teridax and inevitably applied the tagline of 'Evil' to them. To say don't genralize isn't a bad point, it's just a mostly baseless point in light of the MU.

• Upvote 2

pure_muscle.png

Yeah but does ALL of BIONICLE need to be generalized? Personally I like it when a character is out-of-the-ordinary for their type of people. It makes them feel unique. I think that was one of the points of Tamaru.

And plus, if you do remember from MNOG, on occasion during the Le-Matoran celebration after the defeat of the Nui Rama, he would occasionally spread out his arms and pretend to fly. So he does indeed strive to at least fly, something I think Le-Matoran do have as part of their personality.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Lyichir's assessment of the situation- homogenizing matoran is just kinda lame. The variation provided by Takua and Tamaru creates a world analogous to our own, where groups of people don't have to be painted in broad strokes.

However, if Tamaru were a Bo-Matoran, it could open up the interesting possibility that there are/were more variations of matoran on Mata Nui than we realize. Lightning and plasma among the Ta-Matoran, magnetism, gravity, and iron among the Onu-Matoran, plantlife among the Le-Matoran, and psionics among the Ga-Matoran.

• Upvote 1

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

Yeah but does ALL of BIONICLE need to be generalized? Personally I like it when a character is out-of-the-ordinary for their type of people. It makes them feel unique. I think that was one of the points of Tamaru.

And plus, if you do remember from MNOG, on occasion during the Le-Matoran celebration after the defeat of the Nui Rama, he would occasionally spread out his arms and pretend to fly. So he does indeed strive to at least fly, something I think Le-Matoran do have as part of their personality.

True, but it is all just theorizing here. It's okay to be an outcast, and I think it makes the character even more unique when they go against the grain and for their own way and path in-lore differentiated from their brethern. Honestly, I don't like the generalization in BIONICLE myself, this is why one of the strong points for 2009 was that the Glatorian/Agori didn't have to be of the element of water to be female. I just feel that going by the logic of the generalizing nature of the MU it makes sence, but in the end all we can is theorize and believe our own theories or others. Tamaru may just be that one strange fruit of his people, but regardless of all that, the fact that he seems to change color slightly is a massive sore thumb to the idea of him being a Le-Matoran, and again back to the thing of Headcanon, it is entirely possible that Tamaru is a Bo-Matoran if they are actually able to use a form of camouflage to a greater degree of ability then Le-Matoran, or rather that Le-Matoran don't really seem to have it at all. But, you have to remember that this is in relevance to his body color, which we've seen change from teal to green on multiple occasions, yet his mask and feet remain the same. We see that the Matoran of Metru Nui compared to their Mata Nui counterparts have their arms, hands, and legs change from grey to brighter tones, never their bodies to my knowledge, unless if I'm sparce on the knowledge. Yet, even this, everything down to his fighting style, to his general movements and clumsiness, though it may very well me a sign of PTSD, it could also be a sign that he doesn't belong, but that he has come to be a brethren of Air to the Le-Matoran, and in that sense, he certainly is a Le-Matoran. However the argument is that based on the genralized way of things in the MU that it is more that simple a possibility of him being one of the last Bo-Matoran. On the topic, I do know that the other Matoran types where hunted down and killed, and I think that some became assimilated with other elements, and everyone just thinks them of being one of them. Back to the example of Takua, we know that he was seen as one of the Ta-Matoran, yet he disliked staying in one place, yet often return to his people out of a sheer love and respect for them, regardless of his true Element. Now, lets look at Tamaru, he dislikes being in high places, and is very clumsy, yet he tries to stay high and he has dreams of flying, yet he stays close to the ground away from his brethren Le-Matoran, but he doesn't tend to stray to far off, and he always returns to his people. As if he is grounded to his home, unlike Takua who ventured out. Tamaru is quite cautious and outlooking for his people. Generally he has a good eye for incoming enemies, like that of the Rama swarm.

So I don't want to generalize, but the facts are the facts, and they can't be denied or seen as bigoted when they aren't biased per say, they're only there to be taken with the knowledge of the theorizer. But, this discussion has come out to sound very anti-narrow-minded, grant it I don't like narrow-mindedness either, but in light of the MU as I've said it simply makes sence, at least to me.

pure_muscle.png

Tamaru's colors are exactly the same as Kongu's, just switched around, so the color argument doesn't really hold water. I'm also not sure I've ever heard anything official about Bo-Matoran liking living on the ground or swimming. If neither of those things is true, then that would pull the rug out from under this theory entirely.

Beyond that, I've gotta agree with Lyi: trying to rationalize the things that make Tamaru unique as a Le-Matoran by saying he's actually an incredibly ordinary example of a different type of Matoran would not be very good storytelling. His differences from other Le-Matoran are already perfectly justified as a phobia of heights— they shouldn't need any other justification.

One final thing — Tamaru does not actually prefer to spend his time on the ground. He prefers to spend his time in the trees. He's afraid of heights, but "heights" by Le-Matoran standards are different than "heights" by the standards of other types of Matoran. Le-Matoran essentially think of tree level how other Matoran think of ground level, so "heights" to them means soaring ABOVE the treeline. In other words, he has no trouble living with the other Le-Matoran in the canopies of Le-Koro or swinging high above the ground on vines, only with flying in airships or on the backs of Gukko birds.

• Upvote 9

Tamaru's colors are exactly the same as Kongu's, just switched around, so the color argument doesn't really hold water. I'm also not sure I've ever heard anything official about Bo-Matoran liking living on the ground or swimming. If neither of those things is true, then that would pull the rug out from under this theory entirely.Beyond that, I've gotta agree with Lyi: trying to rationalize the things that make Tamaru unique as a Le-Matoran by saying he's actually an incredibly ordinary example of a different type of Matoran would not be very good storytelling. His differences from other Le-Matoran are already perfectly justified as a phobia of heights— they shouldn't need any other justification. One final thing — Tamaru does not actually prefer to spend his time on the ground. He prefers to spend his time in the trees. He's afraid of heights, but "heights" by Le-Matoran standards are different than "heights" by the standards of other types of Matoran. Le-Matoran essentially think of tree level how other Matoran think of ground level, so "heights" to them means soaring ABOVE the treeline. In other words, he has no trouble living with the other Le-Matoran in the canopies of Le-Koro or swinging high above the ground on vines, only with flying in airships or on the backs of Gukko birds.

I give up. Whats the point in defending your case when everyone who once backed you now shoots you down over something so trivial and small? I've expressed my self time after time now that I don't mean any bias from this discussion, but I guess people only read what they want to read. All of this is simply speculatory discussion, but no, no you'll only play devils advocate and go against me. I don't mind a counter argument, but when it completely puts down any facts or morals on the stance of it the topic at hand being "ignorant" or "narrowminded" than I have a problem with in.

I am only showing my case, and presenting the evidence as to a fictional character bring an Element that isn't air. Geez, it's like it's a talk about race or something... Yeah, like Elements in a fictional toy line with a strong story presence based around it has to always be politically incorrect, or correct depending on what YOU want to hear. So I'm done. Call me out all you want, call me a big fat phony all you wish. I am just simply trying to supply evidence to a hypothetical possibility within a fictional circumstance, in which would not change the outcome of anything within it, unless if said Character were to become say a Toa say... Yet even then, would stat still change a thing? No, I bet you it wouldn't. Not about their character at least, just arbitrary powers and abilities.

Oh, and for reference to the color change, I mean the scene where Tamaru swings on the vine in MNOG and lands in the bush. Grant it, it may have just been overlooked, but even still, it's something to think about is all.

• Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

It's not trying to go against you as it is giving refuting points on a theory. That's what happens with theories, yo. They get countered.

No need to take it personally. We're just thinking along with you. :)

• Upvote 2

Don't be like this, Imrukii. You only seem like a child when you react to criticism in this manner. Those who addressed your idea in a contradictory manner were only stating their ideas and opinions. You know, like in a discussion? By brushing off others' arguments and claiming them to be ignoring yours is completely asinine and that kind of behavior doesn't belong on a board dedicated to serious discussion. Of course people are going to take what you write to how they see it. There is no one definite conclusion one can make from someone else's ideas, and that is where interpretation steps in. 

This is how I've interpreted your argument:

1. Tamaru is a Bo-Matoran because he doesn't like heights and likes to swim.

2. Tamaru is a Bo-Matoran because he is green and teal and can potentially change colors.

3. Tamaru is a Bo-Matoran because it fits with a theme of generalizing races.

Addressing these points:

1. It is no where stated that Bo-Matoran exclusively dislikes heights and enjoy swimming. Hewkii even got into swimming after he conquered his fear of it. Bo-Matoran could actually LOVE heights! Also, his fear of heights is part of his personality, and not a product of his race.

2. Many Le-Matoran are green and some shade of blue. Do I have to mention Tuuli or Kongu? Even Av-Matoran can camouflage themselves! Does that mean that Tamaru is an Av-Matoran? Also, that "change in color" is most likely due to  a continuity error in animation or just an accident in general.

3. This is saying he HAS to be a Bo-Matoran because it's convenient to how other species are generalized by one trait and Tamaru's personality is a side-effect of belonging to a race rather than who he is as a person. This is ridiculous. 

Your last point is completely irrelevant to your argument and is more like a convenient way to provide "evidence" to your claims. 

I do not see Tamaru as a Bo-Matoran and I will hold by that.

• Upvote 2

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Tamaru's colors are exactly the same as Kongu's, just switched around, so the color argument doesn't really hold water. I'm also not sure I've ever heard anything official about Bo-Matoran liking living on the ground or swimming. If neither of those things is true, then that would pull the rug out from under this theory entirely.Beyond that, I've gotta agree with Lyi: trying to rationalize the things that make Tamaru unique as a Le-Matoran by saying he's actually an incredibly ordinary example of a different type of Matoran would not be very good storytelling. His differences from other Le-Matoran are already perfectly justified as a phobia of heights— they shouldn't need any other justification. One final thing — Tamaru does not actually prefer to spend his time on the ground. He prefers to spend his time in the trees. He's afraid of heights, but "heights" by Le-Matoran standards are different than "heights" by the standards of other types of Matoran. Le-Matoran essentially think of tree level how other Matoran think of ground level, so "heights" to them means soaring ABOVE the treeline. In other words, he has no trouble living with the other Le-Matoran in the canopies of Le-Koro or swinging high above the ground on vines, only with flying in airships or on the backs of Gukko birds.

I give up. Whats the point in defending your case when everyone who once backed you now shoots you down over something so trivial and small? I've expressed my self time after time now that I don't mean any bias from this discussion, but I guess people only read what they want to read. All of this is simply speculatory discussion, but no, no you'll only play devils advocate and go against me. I don't mind a counter argument, but when it completely puts down any facts or morals on the stance of it the topic at hand being "ignorant" or "narrowminded" than I have a problem with in.

I am only showing my case, and presenting the evidence as to a fictional character bring an Element that isn't air. Geez, it's like it's a talk about race or something... Yeah, like Elements in a fictional toy line with a strong story presence based around it has to always be politically incorrect, or correct depending on what YOU want to hear. So I'm done. Call me out all you want, call me a big fat phony all you wish. I am just simply trying to supply evidence to a hypothetical possibility within a fictional circumstance, in which would not change the outcome of anything within it, unless if said Character were to become say a Toa say... Yet even then, would stat still change a thing? No, I bet you it wouldn't. Not about their character at least, just arbitrary powers and abilities.

Oh, and for reference to the color change, I mean the scene where Tamaru swings on the vine in MNOG and lands in the bush. Grant it, it may have just been overlooked, but even still, it's something to think about is all.

I'm not "playing devil's advocate". I'm stating how I feel about the matter, based on the evidence I've seen. You think I've never had a theory that's been disagreed with by people who feel differently than me or who know the facts better than I do? It's honestly your choice if you want to create a headcanon or fan fiction in which Tamaru is actually a Bo-Matoran. After all, you're right that it wouldn't contradict the official story outright or alter his personality. I just personally think him being a Le-Matoran with a personality trait that sets him apart from other Le-Matoran makes for a more interesting story than him being a Bo-Matoran who shares his most distinctive personality traits with most other Bo-Matoran. And when you present it as a theory, that's an invitation for other people to share their own evidence and opinions on the matter.

I never once called you ignorant, or narrow-minded, or a phony. From what I can tell, neither did ANYBODY in this topic. Just because people disagree with you about a theory doesn't mean they think badly of you as a person. But for some reason you seem to be taking this very personally, and there's really no need for that. You asked us what we thought, we're just giving an honest answer. The value of your perspective doesn't change based on how many people agree or disagree with it.

Tamaru's body color does change between Mata Nui Online Game and Mata Nui Online Game 2, but the same goes for the Bright Bluish Green (teal) parts of all the other Le-Matoran, including Kongu's mask and feet. That's what I was referring to in my post. I interpreted that as the creators of the games and webisodes just correcting an inaccuracy, same as how they made the Kanohi Pakari more realistic on Matoran characters like Takua in the Mata Nui Online Game II. I'm not aware of Tamaru's body color changing from one MNOG scene to another except just due to different lighting, but I might have to re-watch that scene to know what you're talking about specifically.

EDIT: Okay, now I see what you mean abut his teal parts turning green. That just seems like an animation goof to me, and doesn't really pertain to what I mentioned in my post about Tamaru having the same colors (Bright Yellowish Green and Bright Bluish Green) as Kongu, just reversed.

Chances are that Tamaru's head, body, and foot colors would have been the same on Metru Nui as on Mata Nui, same as with other Matoran who weren't released as 2004 sets. That's not known for certain, though, because Tamaru wasn't in the Matau game from the Kanoka Club.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Although Tamaru seems completely fine with heights in the Bohrok animations. Maybe he was just freaking out on the inside, though.

I like the proposal that he actually has a different definition of 'heights'; as long as there's something beneath him, whether trees, platforms or ground, he's fine. It's being above the treeline away from vines and branches in the open space that terrifies him.

• Upvote 4

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Also, weren't Bo-Matoran originally suppose to be female but were made male by mistake? So technically it is possible canonically now but it shows there was never an intent for it even in later years, though it's still a nice and plausible head-canon.

I personally won't be taking it up, as for the aforementioned points of how it takes away some of the quirkiness of the matoran by making it their simple and natural behaviors. Though I do love the camouflage idea. I simply love the Chroniclers Company and prefer they stay the way they are (in fact I wouldn't particularly want them to become toa at least in this timeline)

Dude, Imrukii, you gotta watch that verbosity: it's getting worse.

Although Tamaru seems completely fine with heights in the Bohrok animations. Maybe he was just freaking out on the inside, though.

I like the proposal that he actually has a different definition of 'heights'; as long as there's something beneath him, whether trees, platforms or ground, he's fine. It's being above the treeline away from vines and branches in the open space that terrifies him.

Hey, I like that explanation! Great thinking! Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Hey, I like that explanation! Great thinking!

Think of it more like agoraphobia than acrophobia and it makes a bit more sense with his behaviour

It's not my idea. At least, I don't think it is. I remember some official source stating it, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that was. It wasn't Tamaru's 2003 website bio or the 2006 Bionicle Encyclopedia. Somebody else referenced it in this topic from four years ago which proposed a very similar theory to the topic we're in right now.

Either way, I do like the headcanon that Bo-Matoran do change color a bit like camouflage. 

Av-Matoran have this ability, though. I don't like that it takes away from them. 

I agree with Lyichir's assessment of the situation- homogenizing matoran is just kinda lame. The variation provided by Takua and Tamaru creates a world analogous to our own, where groups of people don't have to be painted in broad strokes.

I agree with this. It was refreshing to see that, in a world with strictly defined Matoran types and jobs, some oddballs who were different. 

• Upvote 1

Either way, I do like the headcanon that Bo-Matoran do change color a bit like camouflage.

Av-Matoran have this ability, though. I don't like that it takes away from them.

I agree with this. It was refreshing to see that, in a world with strictly defined Matoran types and jobs, some oddballs who were different.

Again, not calling me narrow-minded and ignorant now are we? To go from agreeing or a least thinking it's a good theory, to completely changing your mind to make for some oddball character possibilities? I must be dreaming. Clearly, this must be an illusion brought on by my Bell's Palsy and possible brain damage.

As I've said before, I DON'T LIKE TO GENERALIZE, but. In-light of many aspects associated with the MU, a lot of generalizations being one of them. By that vain of logic, it makes sense.

Also, how does the Av-Matoran's ability to use a form of light-based Camouflage take away from them as Characters? Personally I think that Tanma benefits well from being green, it fits his strong and courageous character well. Whilst I'd think that a color generally associated with leadership, such as red, would have detracted from him as a character. However, I can't say the same for the other Av-Matoran.

By Camouflage, I was only referring to Bo-Matoran in this case (just incase if there was any confusion) and them being able to slightly change the color of their bodies generally between shades and tones to better fit their environment. However, pretty much all of this is based on fan headcanon, not actual canon. As for the thing of the Ground level being different for Le-Matoran, to anyone who's been on a high place, such as myself, it becomes like second nature. And, if Humans can come to get used to it, why couldn't Matoran? It is a valid point. For another example, to my knowledge, people who live in the city, on a higher floor in an apartment, get used to the hight and often dislike getting back down to ground level. This is why I think we don't see many Le-Matoran on the ground level, because they dislike it, it's not 'the ground' for them.

It's okay to have some oddball characters. And I'm fine with having them in-canon. It's just that certain details, like the thing of Tamaru's body color changing was a strange sore thumb, amongst other things with him, that made me wish to make this topic. Seeing so much support, then once one bit of counter evidence came about, seeing everyone change their minds on the topic, I felt hurt, betrayed to a very small degree. Perhaps it's because I've felt so much pain with people betraying me as of recent that it clouded my judgement, but even still, it doesn't seen fair to do that to anyone. Consider the facts, the canon, the evidence, and both views, then make a rational judgement of the topic at hand. But, it seems more so that people changed their minds on it, because they didn't like the generalizing basis of the theory. AGAIN, I don't like to generalize, it's just that certain details intrigued me enough to make a topic on it. Clearly, this was a mistake on my part, this however always seems to happen to me, either I make a topic, discussing a theory, and it gets shot down, or I want to make an epic, but I loose motivation, or the topic gets no attention. These are the reasons why I never make topics, because they always seem to sink rather than float, or float on choppy waters so-to-speak.

And no, not all of BIONICLE needs to be generalized. In-fact, Not all of BIONICLE IS Generalized, it's just that a lot is. And that sucks, and I don't like it, yet even still, that little detail doesn't seem to matter in other's eyes. Maybe I'm delusional with how people see it, seeing it as betrayal. Maybe I'm just crazy, maybe I'm just stupid, maybe I am too sensitive. But, at least to me, it makes sense for him to be a Bo-Matoran, and if you don't think so, then whatever.

Honestly, I remember there being another theory about him, actually being something like a Ga-Matoran reincarnate, or something, because he likes water. THAT Crazy fan-theory was supported by many, but, why not something more rational, like this? Frankly, theres just too much bias here based on elements, that they shouldn't be changed, yet, gender can be? Um... Okay, how? How in anyway is that fair? I am certain that I don't know all the details on that topic, y eteven still, it's a point to be made, and a valid one at that. At least in my fair and down-to-earth opinion.

Y'know what? Maybe I'm just salty from it all, maybe I should just take a cool shower to wash this irritating salt off of my skin. Maybe once the pain is all gone, then humble things such as this don't seemingly hurt me as much. (SMH) And yeah, my verbosity is bad, and I don't care anymore at this point, I am just too fed up with everything at the moment to care. I need a freaking vacation, a vacation away from the stress and pain, the same stress and pain that seems to have colminated into my Bell's Palsy, of all things.

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 2

pure_muscle.png

Again, not calling me narrow-minded and ignorant now are we? To go from agreeing or a least thinking it's a good theory, to completely changing your mind to make for some oddball character possibilities? I must be dreaming. Clearly, this must be an illusion brought on by my Bell's Palsy and possible brain damage.

What does my post have to do with this paragraph? I'm confused as to how you got from that post to your conclusion.

Also, how does the Av-Matoran's ability to use a form of light-based Camouflage take away from them as Characters?

That's not what I meant. I meant that Bo-Matoran having a camouflage ability takes away from the variety of the Av-Matoran power sets, since the Av-Matoran already have a camouflage ability, which I don't like. Further, color of armor or camouflage doesn't have anything to do with plants, so I'm confused as to why it's a good idea.

Consider the facts, the canon, the evidence, and both views, then make a rational judgement of the topic at hand.

I'm not judging this theory in any sort of rational way. I was just posting my preference, what I would like, about certain things people said.

Now that might have been a stupid thing to do, but I am allowed to say whether I like something or not on this forum. It's not against the rules.

Further, I refuse to get involved. Both sides have made valid points.

Seeing so much support, then once one bit of counter evidence came about, seeing everyone change their minds on the topic, I felt hurt, betrayed to a very small degree. Perhaps it's because I've felt so much pain with people betraying me as of recent that it clouded my judgement, but even still, it doesn't seen fair to do that to anyone.

But, it seems more so that people changed their minds on it, because they didn't like the generalizing basis of the theory. AGAIN, I don't like to generalize, it's just that certain details intrigued me enough to make a topic on it. Clearly, this was a mistake on my part, this however always seems to happen to me, either I make a topic, discussing a theory, and it gets shot down, or I want to make an epic, but I loose motivation, or the topic gets no attention. These are the reasons why I never make topics, because they always seem to sink rather than float, or float on choppy waters so-to-speak.

Y'know what? Maybe I'm just salty from it all, maybe I should just take a cool shower to wash this irritating salt off of my skin. Maybe once the pain is all gone, then humble things such as this don't seemingly hurt me as much. (SMH) And yeah, my verbosity is bad, and I don't care anymore at this point, I am just too fed up with everything at the moment to care. I need a freaking vacation, a vacation away from the stress and pain, the same stress and pain that seems to have colminated into my Bell's Palsy, of all things.

To be honest, man, I know what betrayal feels like. I also know what it is like to be so certain of something only to have the rug pulled out from under you by new evidence and new information. And I will agree with you: it sucks.

But the problem in that situation is never the people who brought you the new information that proved you wrong. The problem is that you assumed certainty too soon. You picked your side, because you felt you had to, and now you have egg and blood all over your face because "everyone thinks you goofed up". (But to be honest, Imurkii, nobody is judging you personally here. I don't really have an opinion of you, because I don't know you very well. I think you're an intelligent person with the guts to post a theory, but that's all I know.)

Having a bad theory doesn't mean you're a bad person. Having a theory people don't agree with doesn't mean that you are wrong or bad or evil or broken; in fact it can mean just the opposite. Sometimes in certain situations, having people oppose your statement means it's more likely to be true, because it's against the lies the crowd blindly swallows.

The thing is, people are not omniscient. I am wrong every day. I make mistakes every day. People try to prove me wrong every day, even though they are sometimes wrong themselves when they do. Because the world doesn't align with me. How can it? It knows more than me. So you being wrong isn't your fault, if you are. People opposing your viewpoints is not a betrayal. It is something to learn from.

People opposing what you say is an ever living constant of this world. Even when you are right. I have had the truth, and I have KNOWN I did, and people STILL fought me on it. That doesn't make them evil, it just makes them wrong.

If you rely on other people to reinforce what is true and false in your life, they will ALWAYS betray you. People's beliefs change. They get taken in by lies. They find truths faster than you. You find the truth, regardless of what the other people think, in the face of what other people think. You will have to fight for it every single day of your life against all of the people who don't believe the truth.

But there are methods to fight for the truth that work, and there are ones that don't. I can tell you that feeling betrayed and attacking people using the pain-riddled language that you have been using does not work. You need to adopt another method.

Also, there are truths that aren't worth fighting over. It is my judgement that this matter falls into that category. It is merely a matter of what affiliation you prefer Tamaru to be. I have stated my preference on this matter. There is nothing more to argue.

I am sorry that you are injured and in physical pain. I know from several personal experiences how nightmarish that can be. I also had a friend who had Bell's palsy, and it's one of the diseases I pray I never get. Ugh. Hope you feel better soon.

• Upvote 4

It is an interesting suggestion, though we have few enough Le-Matoran that I like the idea of Tamaru just being an unusual one. Ever since Greg established that Ba-Matoran have black and purple armor I've kinda wondered "What if Onepu's one?"

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Since we had Matoran like Takua on Mata Nui (granted, that one was explained) it wouldn't be far out there to say some inhabitants of the island were displaced from other tribes as well. Tamaru could be one. I guess that's open for interpretation currently, but its not like it contradicts anything in the canon.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea. I think it's cool that a village may have multiple elements represented, especially when their terrain overlaps.

I don't think Kapura is a Av-Matoran though. I read somewhere once that he had some sort of accident with a teleportation disc in Metru-Nui, which would explain his powers. Whether it was a fan theory or in-canon, I think it made sense to me.

Taipu I figured was a Po-Matoran who just liked living underground so he switched villages...maybe. Or he had Po-Matoran ancestry, but Matoran don't reproduce...so I don't know what to believe anymore :(

For Onepu's Purple, that has a pretty easy explanation: he *obviously* got the purple mask and shoes from Vo-Koro, the city of Voriki, who is *definitely* canon maybe.

I like the idea. I think it's cool that a village may have multiple elements represented, especially when their terrain overlaps.

I don't think Kapura is a Av-Matoran though. I read somewhere once that he had some sort of accident with a teleportation disc in Metru-Nui, which would explain his powers. Whether it was a fan theory or in-canon, I think it made sense to me.

Taipu I figured was a Po-Matoran who just liked living underground so he switched villages...maybe. Or he had Po-Matoran ancestry, but Matoran don't reproduce...so I don't know what to believe anymore :(

For Onepu's Purple, that has a pretty easy explanation: he *obviously* got the purple mask and shoes from Vo-Koro, the city of Voriki, who is *definitely* canon maybe.

That teleportation disk thing is definitely a fan theory, although it's probably the best explanation we're going to get at this stage.

And yes, I once had a similar headcanon where Matoran of different colours were from the border regions.  So Nuparu had an orange mask because his tribe lived closer to Ta-Koro, or Kongu had a more bluish colouring because his tribe lived closer to Ga-Koro.

Little did we expect that that were immortal beings that came from a giant robot!

You know we could just ask Greg. :smilekongu:

He's not allowed to discuss future plot points, in his own words.

Technically this is a past plot point, though I heard that Greg got tired of answering questions because people didn't always like his answers, so he might not answer it anyway :\

You know we could just ask Greg. :smilekongu:

He's not allowed to discuss future plot points, in his own words.

Technically this is a past plot point, though I heard that Greg got tired of answering questions because people didn't always like his answers, so he might not answer it anyway :\

As many of us witnessed on these boards in the eve of 2015, Greg has received a lot of criticism for his responses to canon questions. I can easily understand why he would grow tired of the process of answering questions and bracing for the reactions to it. 

bZpOwEr