Stone and earth? :/

I was wondering, what's the difference between stone and earth, IRL (in real life) they're basically the same thing, so it's a little stupid. So i'm really confused :???:  :???:  :???: , i'm more of a casual watcher, I sometimes browse this website and would really like to get in on the lore. (Dual moniter set-up) 

• Upvote 1

:afro: HEY my homeys  :afro:  

Oh, dear. Another one of these topics.

It's like this: Stone is rock. Solid, chunks like pebbles or slabs.

Earth is loose. It's not anywhere near solidified together, and it is good for potting and planting. I doubt a bucket of rocks will help your trees grow.

• Upvote 5

Oh, dear. Another one of these topics.

It's like this: Stone is rock. Solid, chunks like pebbles or slabs.

Earth is loose. It's not anywhere near solidified together, and it is good for potting and planting. I doubt a bucket of rocks will help your trees grow.

This isn't a good enough explanation, next time, try giving me a real reason outside of rhetorical . Earth is NOT dirt.  <_<

This has been answered on here more times than I care to count.

Simply put, it has to do with how the material behaves. If it's solid, dry, and super-dense, it's stone. If it's lots of tiny, lightweight, moist particles, it's earth. 

(That said, can we please find a way to start blocking the creation of any new topics containing the words "stone" and "earth?")

• Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Simply put, it has to do with how the material behaves. If it's solid, dry, and super-dense, it's stone. If it's lots of tiny, lightweight, moist particles, it's earth. 

(That said, can we please find a way to start blocking the creation of any new topics containing the words "stone" and "earth?")

I second this.

This isn't a good enough explanation, next time, try giving me a real reason outside of rhetorical ######. Earth is NOT dirt.  <_<

So, Earth day is Rock Day. Hm... Not how I remembered it.

I'm pretty sure the planet is more dense than some rocks on it. You can't explain that. Also quit trying to censor questions. Nazi's liked to do that. 

I second this.

This isn't a good enough explanation, next time, try giving me a real reason outside of rhetorical ######. Earth is NOT dirt.  <_<

So, Earth day is Rock Day. Hm... Not how I remembered it.

Earth day is about consumerist shaming, nothing else. I don't see how the irrelevant sentence has ANYTHING to do with the topic.

I'm pretty sure the planet is more dense than some rocks on it. You can't explain that. Also quit trying to censor questions. Nazi's liked to do that. 

If you're going to ask a question, don't insult everyone that tries to answer you.

I did not say "planet," I said "material." We're talking about the element of Earth, which is the soil and clay that living things grow in. The element of Earth does not mean "The Planet Earth." If it did, then it would mean a Toa of Earth commands literally everything.

And it's not censoring if it's been asked time and time again and we're all sick of seeing the same question asked over and over again.

• Upvote 7

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Is it that time again?

Well, as a hard and fast rule, If it's a solid chunk of something igneous, metamorphic or sedimentary, then it usually falls under Stone. If it's a bunch of small particulates like dirt, then it usually falls under Earth.

Except for sand, which is a weird exception and doesn't fall under either for some reason.

If you're going to ask a question, don't insult everyone that tries to answer you.

I did not say "planet," I said "material." We're talking about the element of Earth, which is the soil and clay that living things grow in. The element of Earth does not mean "The Planet Earth." If it did, then it would mean a Toa of Earth commands literally everything.

And it's not censoring if it's been asked time and time again and we're all sick of seeing the same question asked over and over again.

If you're sick of seeing the question than you answer it. You don't talk about blocking MY THREADS. I won't be talked down to like that. 

Oh maaaan. And I thought I was a raging inferno of anger.....

In short

Stone, like canyons and boulders.

Earth, like soil and dirt.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

If you're sick of seeing the question than you answer it. You don't talk about blocking MY THREADS. I won't be talked down to like that. 

That is the point. It has been answered so many times that many of us are tired of seeing it asked over and over again. We have all explained it to you the best that we can. Honestly, the story team never gave us an official description of why the elements are different, so we've had to come to some general agreements on what makes the most sense about it.

One more time:

Stone--sedimentary, igneous, or metamorphic material that is super-dense, solid, and dry.

Earth--loose, grainy, moist material including soil, clay, and mud. Plants grow and thrive in this stuff.

That is the difference. Have we answered your question?

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

That is the point. It has been answered so many times that many of us are tired of seeing it asked over and over again. We have all explained it to you the best that we can. Honestly, the story team never gave us an official description of why the elements are different, so we've had to come to some general agreements on what makes the most sense about it.

One more time:

Stone--sedimentary, igneous, or metamorphic material that is super-dense, solid, and dry.

Earth--loose, grainy, moist material including soil, clay, and mud. Plants grow and thrive in this stuff.

So now you're giving me non-cannon information? Don't waste my time.  <_<

One more time:

So now you're giving me non-cannon information? Don't waste my time.  <_<

There is no canon information. Did you read my explanation at all? If not, then I'm done. Sorry, but you're the one wasting everyone's time.

• Upvote 4

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

The fact of the matter is that there -isn't- any canon statement on the matter(or at least, none that I know of.)

however, for example, if someone threw a clump of earth at you, and then threw a rock at you, it's pretty easy to tell which is which, no?

I think this guy needs to have that done, so he can really be sure of the difference. (mean jokes).

pure_muscle.png

The fact of the matter is that there -isn't- any canon statement on the matter(or at least, none that I know of.)

however, for example, if someone threw a clump of earth at you, and then threw a rock at you, it's pretty easy to tell which is which, no?

I think this guy needs to have that done, so he can really be sure of the difference. (mean jokes).

yo, that's a little too far.

• Upvote 2

I think you need to shut up. Because what you just said is gonna make you my enemy. 

Most of you in this topic need to read the Rules and Guidelines. Ganging up on another member and acting disrespectfully isn't okay.

That said, Horde-ika, I'm not quite sure what's going on here. There are a few people trying to help you, and you're acting disrespectfully in turn. Please stop. Please PM me if you have concerns or questions.

• Upvote 9

I admit what I said was mean, it was a hyperbolic joke emphasizing that you need to chill. Maybe you need a cool shower, or a nice cup of tea, or a nap. How about meditating in a stone garden? Or moulding clay into sculptures, that may help calm your tender flaming nerves. Or perhaps just contemplating thoughts in your head.

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

I admit what I said was mean, it was a hyperbolic joke emphasizing that you may need a cool shower, or a nice cup of tea, or a nap. How about meditating in a stone garden? Or moulding clay into sculptures, that may help calm your tender flaming nerves.

You threatened me, I don't take threats lightly. I demand a paragraph long apology RIGHT NOW. Or else you and I are gonna start on the VERY WRONG foot.

Edited by Horde-ika99

Folks, please remember this is all meant for fun, and keep it in perspective, okay? :) I won't add anything more to the conflict above as that's being dealt with by PM, unless necessary moving forward, but I have some corrections to make on-topic, and a few related points.

the story team never gave us an official description of why the elements are different

That's not really true -- they have not answered every imaginable question about it, but Greg, at least, has answered tons of questions and has given us more than enough to understand the important gist of the G1 canon meaning of it. One of my posts in the second topic you linked to contains quotes showing this.

Here's a summary of what's confirmed canonically:

-The basic definition of Earth in Bionicle is "soil" or dirt.
-Earth is loose and Stone is not, as understood simply by the example of being hit in the head by both and feeling the difference.
-Neither (Toa of) Stone nor Earth control sand.
-Stone being underground does not count as Earth; rock anywhere is Stone and dirt anywhere is Earth (just like frozen water anywhere is Ice).

The only major point I recall being brought up in later questions that Greg did not answer (at least on the old forums -- people can ask him now, though!) is whether organic versus not organic is involved. It's clear that "soil" includes organic origins. Some have theorized that Stone might exclude organic origins, but as far as I know this has not been commented on. But if this is what you mean by "no official answer", I'd say it's the least relevant question. If you're hit by a lump of coal, or something just as hard that happens not to be organic, do you really care about the technicality, in a battle?

It might occasionally be relevant if a Toa of Stone is almost out of elemental energy and all there is around to control is coal, but that's exceedingly unlikely to come up as an issue. Really they would probably just avoid the issue and not write themselves into that corner.

In your first post I assumed you were joking about this, but this makes it sound more like a serious proposal. Guys, fans can't be expected to have read every former topic, and some questions will be more common than others. The common ones being asked over and over comes with the territory, and something's gotta lead the pack as the "most common question of all", right? :P A better solution is to intentionally "brace yourself" for the repetition. Like a teacher would have to do, for example. :) Or if it just bothers you too much, perhaps avoid those topics.

(Now, we COULD direct everybody to an official topic on it, but actually banning it being asked is not a good idea. And I'm still not sure if an official topic is really the best solution to this.)

This isn't a good enough explanation

Could you please explain what about it did not answer your question? The post you quoted here does give you the most important part of the canon definition -- that Earth is loose. I'm not really sure what else is actually needed beyond that. Maybe it would help to add that in 2001 the idea of Bionicle elements was to focus on major environments where people could live, and living around a bunch of stone formations and living in caves (some of which go through dirt layers) were two big ones. Also where Toa could go, so Onua digging through dirt (providing a reason to have the set with claws, versus the boulder-soccer Pohatu. (Likewise, living in a snowy region versus living in a bay.)

I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence here. Could you clarify? It sounds like you're saying the "that said" part would be your understanding of what the canon answer would be? But this actually is an answer Greg gave many times. :) (But you probably know that, and I'm misreading this. :P)

I think Greg may have led to part of the problem in fan confusion by relying so exclusively on that answer, actually, but if you think about it, the fact that you would instantly know the difference from being hit by both does imply that the difference can't be hard to grasp. I think most people who have trouble with this are overthinking it. That's why I make the analogy to Ice/Water. In that case there is literally only one simple difference -- freezing. So in Bionicle's rules, Earth/Stone can be that simple -- loose versus not. :)
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Yeeeah, if you don't want to have to answer this question again, then... don't bother answering the question again. No-one's making you. You can literally just not go in this topic and instead stick to talking about things you want to talk about. Somebody who's more helpful and in a better mood can take care of it. It's like if you were in the art forums and went into topics going "What? ANOTHER drawing of Tahu? Not this crud again... You DO realise we already have like a thousand drawings of Tahu here, don't you?"

Okay, maybe not quite, but it still seems silly that you'd get all bothered about something like this, when the only reasons you should be posting on BZP is because you enjoy it, or you feel like you're helping somebody out. Belittling someone for making a post that annoys you in a topic you didn't want to see but insisted on looking at anyway achieves neither.

That said, the stone and earth thing could be worth revisiting in light of G2, where Stone includes sand and Earth seems to include chunks of rock... It's never been particularly well defined, so it's generally down to whatever the author at the time thinks is stone or earth is.

• Upvote 2

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Hear me out on this one.

What if there is NO difference?

That meaning, the element of Earth is the same of Stone, it is just the matoran-related traits that change. There are all kinds of soils, they are alle made up of silicon, but change in what other chemicals are there. The same can be said about rocks. At their core, they are, if not the same, structurally similar, it is the conditions (climate, flora, fauna, etc) where they are found and manifest in that change and shape them, like Po-matoran were shaped for sunny, dry open spaces, and Onu-matoran for dark and humid ones.

Hear me out on this one.

That meaning, the element of Earth is the same of Stone, it is just the matoran-related traits that change. There are all kinds of soils, they are alle made up of silicon, but change in what other chemicals are there. The same can be said about rocks. At their core, they are, if not the same, structurally similar, it is the conditions (climate, flora, fauna, etc) where they are found and manifest in that change and shape them, like Po-matoran were shaped for sunny, dry open spaces, and Onu-matoran for dark and humid ones.

But what about the difference in toa powers?

I guess it could just be personal preference, e.g. Onua prefers causing tremors while Pohatu prefers making fists of rock erupt from the ground.

Maybe they don't know there isn't actually a difference, so they continue using their powers the only way they know how to.

I'm still going by the rule of stone = hard, discrete, rigid, and earth = softer, continuous, malleable.

Of course, G2 throws the whole thing out of whack by giving Stone power over sand and Earth control over crystal. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

For me personally, I look at is as more Earth having greater control over the ground and tremors. So for example a Toa of Earth could cause earthquakes and tremors, as seen in one of the Bionicle serials where Onua creates a giant crevice in the Earth to swallow some exo-toa and save Tahu and his rag-tag team. There could also be more control over the softer and more organic dirts and clays too. And yeah, stone is just rocks.

At least this is my perspective on it. It's supported by canon so far as I can tell, so all is good!

I meant that if there was a reason given to us by official sources, I had no knowledge of it. 

On a slightly different topic though, perhaps a sort of FAQ would be good for questions like this that pop up as often as they do?

I've been thinking of putting an entry on it in the pinned Misconceptions topic, like the one (if memory serves) that I included for Plasma/Fire. The thing is, I don't know that this is usually a misconception per se, so much as a common question. Perhaps that topic should simply be expanded to be a FAQ, rather than misconceptions-specific. Unsure. (This would probably be better discussed in the discussion topic that goes along with the misconceptions topic, though.)

Hear me out on this one.

But what about the difference in toa powers?

I guess it could just be personal preference, e.g. Onua prefers causing tremors while Pohatu prefers making fists of rock erupt from the ground.

Maybe they don't know there isn't actually a difference, so they continue using their powers the only way they know how to.

I'm still going by the rule of stone = hard, discrete, rigid, and earth = softer, continuous, malleable.

Well, for whatever it's worth, one of the Greg quotes from the other topic makes it clear they can't control each other's element at all, so while it may be the exact same substance (like technically Water/Ice), it definitely isn't a matter of their just not knowing they could both control it.

Of course, G2 throws the whole thing out of whack by giving Stone power over sand and Earth control over crystal. 

I'm not sure about the crystal part, but the sand thing would have made sense. Greg mentioned in another of the quotes that technically this would have been the case, but they decided not to risk confusing fans at the time. In G2 evidently they decided kids could handle it... and frankly I think that's right (but in G1 maybe they had in mind maybe having another Toa, which may have turned into the Bara Magna element later, or something).

Anywho, G2 can have different rules.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 4 weeks later...

I choose to believe that Earth Toa control the ground itself and the underground, while Stone Toa control rocks and whatever else is on the ground.

My personal headcanon is going in the same general direction, although it predictably enough incorporates more than a dash of my own crackpot theories regarding the true nature of Bionicle. Sparing most of the details, lets just say that the whole G2 universe in my mind is made of biodermis just like the Great Spirit Robot of G1 was made of protodermis, meaning the six G2 elements are more or less different manifestations of the same singular substance. Earth and Stone are the closest to each other, not just literally but also metaphysically, one of them being grounded in wisdom (earth), and the other being elevated in knowledge (stone).

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

What if G2 Lewa can control the wind to some extent because he sincerely believes it's caused by trees sneezing?

You're only getting rep for the C&H reference.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

What if they all theoretically have control over matter in general, but have certain aptitudes towards their particular elements (which are also honed and enhanced through the elemental masks). Like, Gali could maybe, theoretically learn how to create a flame with the Mask of Fire and tonnes of practice, but even then she might not really be skilled enough to use that technique effectively in battle. Ice is easier for her to control because it is a form of water, but she might not have the skill of creating ice or controlling temperature as Kopaka does

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231