Mask of Time G2 image!

ToaTImeLord

Well.... Thats the Mask of Time... [ ]

I mean... I'm not sure what to think of this...... It's cool, but.... Eh? I dunno. I'm gonna have to think it over for a couple of days.

Edited by -Windrider-

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Wonder when we're gonna see it in a set? Seems like G2 is operating on a "One Ultimate Mask Per Year" policy, and we now have two "ultimate" masks that have yet to see the light of physical form.

Well, there was the golden mask of skull spiders last year along with the mask of creation. This year it's mask of control and corrupted mask of control, so that counts as 2 I guess. Next year we might get the mask of time in the winter and the mask of ultimate power in the summer.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Anyone else think that it looks like a butterfly? Not that that is a complaint, but it looks kind of like a golden butterfly to me. 

Regardless, I still think it looks cool. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to get it in set form.

• Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Oh forgot about the gold Skull Spider mask. I don't know if that would count as "ultimate". If you count that as "ultimate" then you have to count all of the toa's golden masks as "ultimate". Ultimate isn't the best descriptor, I'm just trying to convey the sense of "Uber-powerful mask that drives the plot forward for a year as a McGuffin,"  the kind of mask that end up in the top right corner of all the packaging. :D

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

Probably should spoiler tag your post.

It looks really cool, I like it for sure and it really does leave room for a second half. Glad to see physical confirmation of its existence. Plus, the shopped images of the two halves coming together actually look pretty good.

The fact that it is called the Vahi is super awesome as well. Great callback to G1, heck it might even be an indicator of a connection to it. The bottom half is probably the Vahi we know and love from G1. Must mean that G1 happened in the distant, distant past.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Wow i really have to get that graphic novel well the mask seems alright and this shows that G1 might been a HECK OF A LONG TIME BACK! and i like it the only thing that makes me sad is that Vakama's name din't even get a cameo.

Vakama's name doesn't get a cameo because this isn't the one Vakama made. The G1 Vahi never had a top half, let alone one that looked like this.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wow i really have to get that graphic novel well the mask seems alright and this shows that G1 might been a HECK OF A LONG TIME BACK! and i like it the only thing that makes me sad is that Vakama's name din't even get a cameo.

Vakama's name doesn't get a cameo because this isn't the one Vakama made. The G1 Vahi never had a top half, let alone one that looked like this.
Actually Vakama made a whole mask but it was unstable and separated into two parts. He was only able to find the lower have. (the G1 Vahi)
  • Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I like it, looks like an origami flower.

As for it being the same mask as the G1 one... I don't think so. Remember when Vakama found it under the Silver Sea? It had a crack and was leaking energy altering the enviroment. Later, when facing off with Teridax, Vakama revealed that destroying the mask would essentialy destroy Time itself. Even if this only applied at the MU, Kanohi as a rule don't work when damaged, only the Legendary ones begin leaking their element. And the G1 Vahi could only speed up or slow down Time, not give visions, so breaking it in half would render it useless or at the very least severly unstable.

Still, it would be cool to see it in set form. Maybe we will if the series last another two years.

- "According to ancient legends, the Mask of Time is actually a fragment of a larger mask: It is the upper half that completes the true mask of time. The protectors do not possess any records or illustrations regarding the lower half of the Mask of Time and are unaware of its location."

- "Older than Okoto itself, older than our world, older than the stars!"

- "Legend has it that the ancient name for the Mask of Time was the Vahi, and that it once consisted of two pieces. This piece is the upper half."

- "The mask can give views… …into faraway realms beyond our imaginations."

I smell an attempt at a possible G1-G2 crossover.

• Upvote 5

- "According to ancient legends, the Mask of Time is actually a fragment of a larger mask: It is the upper half that completes the true mask of time. The protectors do not possess any records or illustrations regarding the lower half of the Mask of Time and are unaware of its location."

- "Older than Okoto itself, older than our world, older than the stars!"

- "Legend has it that the ancient name for the Mask of Time was the Vahi, and that it once consisted of two pieces. This piece is the upper half."

- "The mask can give views… …into faraway realms beyond our imaginations."

I smell an attempt at a possible G1-G2 crossover.

I smell flavor text that makes the mask sound cool, but nothing about a G1-G2 crossover. Edited by Naota Takizawa

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I like how they split up the powers: top half peers into the future, bottom controls time. It fits with the style, it isnt anything over the top to me, and I really hope we get it in set-form. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Wow i really have to get that graphic novel well the mask seems alright and this shows that G1 might been a HECK OF A LONG TIME BACK! and i like it the only thing that makes me sad is that Vakama's name din't even get a cameo.

Actually Vakama made a whole mask but it was unstable and separated into two parts. He was only able to find the lower have. (the G1 Vahi)

That literally never happened. Vakama's creation of the G1 Vahi wasn't some obscure bit of backstory that just got an offhand mention... we literally witnessed it in flashbacks, including at the climax of Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui. And there was never any upper half, lost, broken, or otherwise.

I really don't see why people are so desperate for a direct connection between G1 and G2 that they're willing to play fast and loose with the original canon in order to allow that to happen.

• Upvote 4

Well it's nice to see what a G2 Vahi would look like, I just hope that it appears before Bionicle ends, as this seems like something that would be best used to continue the story after the MoUP arc (not that Bionicle will necessarily end next year). And while I still doubt the G1 Vahi will be the lower half, it doesn't look impossible for the two masks to be combined. Also, while I'm strongly against continuation theories, I do get the feeling that the Vahi is said to be older than Okoto, shows glimpses of realms beyond imagination and has a missing lower half is meant to hint towards G1. I don't mean a continuation, just some kind of... I'm not sure how to phrase it, acknowledgement?

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

did anybody else do a double take, o the connection theories that come after this!

That literally never happened. Vakama's creation of the G1 Vahi wasn't some obscure bit of backstory that just got an offhand mention... we literally witnessed it in flashbacks, including at the climax of Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui. And there was never any upper half, lost, broken, or otherwise.

I really don't see why people are so desperate for a direct connection between G1 and G2 that they're willing to play fast and loose with the original canon in order to allow that to happen.

I thought that the vahi vakama made was incomplete it said this in the book can somebody back me up on this?

• Upvote 1

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

The mask reminds me of a fish, or something else water related...I dunno, maybe I'm just weird. 

And, honestly, I hope they don't do a direct G1-G2 connection. They should be two different universes, or continuities, or whatever.  I mean, I like how G2 ...respects? Acknowledges? ... something G1, but, it should stay that way, with no connecting devices. That's my opinion, anyways...

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

And, honestly, I hope they don't do a direct G1-G2 connection. They should be two different universes, or continuities, or whatever.  I mean, I like how G2 ...respects? Acknowledges? ... something G1, but, it should stay that way, with no connecting devices. That's my opinion, anyways...

Yep. It could be like BSG. That's the only awesome reboot that's coming to my mind right now. (Besides G2  :P )

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

"It isn't a continuation, it's a reboot!" HMMMMMM?!

Yes, that's what we've been told. Do you have some reason to assume otherwise? Because I'm not really seeing it.
Yeah I mean it's only the Vahi from G1 and then making a big effort to show us that and also the original characters? So tell me how it isn't a continue? They wanted you to think the series was "rebooted" but in reality the story never changed.

Whether or not the Mask of Time dealio is intended to indicate a far-flung connection to the old canon, G2 is still a reboot, at the very least in the sense that the creators themselves are using the term. That was the first thing they said when G2 was announced, you can watch the video if you want. 

"Continuation" and "reboot" aren't mutually exclusive terms, they can be mixed in a variety of ways that sometimes make trying to define a single, solid continuity through the whole thing very muddy. That is what I tend to believe is going on at this point with Bionicle, but of course, it ain't over 'til it's over. 

Transformers had Beast Wars, which succeeded the G1 continuity and was set in the far-flung future of it, but from what I understand had very, very little to do with the original as far as its core plot went. In fact, I remember reading that the G1 that Beast Wars alluded to was in fact a concocted mesh of two separate cartoon and comic continuities from G1 - if that's the case, I don't see why Bionicle G2 couldn't be adopting an "inaccurate" G1 as its ancestor. In any case, Beast Wars was effectively a reboot, and though I don't really know the Transformers fandom I'd assume they identify it as such.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

"It isn't a continuation, it's a reboot!" HMMMMMM?!

Yes, that's what we've been told. Do you have some reason to assume otherwise? Because I'm not really seeing it.

Yeah I mean it's only the Vahi from G1 and then making a big effort to show us that and also the original characters? So tell me how it isn't a continue? They wanted you to think the series was "rebooted" but in reality the story never changed.

The Vahi from G1? This mask doesn't look anything like the G1 Vahi—the BOTTOM half very well might (and in fact, I would probably be disappointed if it didn't), but a) we haven't seen the bottom half yet in the story, and b) even if it does resemble the G1 Vahi, it doesn't mean that it's the same mask any more than Tahu's Mask of Fire's appearance means that it's actually a G1 Mask of Shielding. Reboots almost always have elements that are maintained between generations—if they didn't, there'd be nothing tying the two stories together apart from a brand name.

There's no more evidence for a continuation in this new graphic novel than there's ever been. And I wish people who insist on one would realize that, because there's some fantastic information in this book that's being overlooked by trying to force a continuation where it really doesn't fit. The upper Mask of Time looks fantastic, and makes me that much more excited to see what the bottom half will look like. The information that the Mask of Time is not only older than any structure on Okoto but actually older than the island itself and even the stars is an extremely compelling bit of mystery to add to the already enigmatic nature of this mask, and I've seen some great theories about what that could mean (including ones that make MUCH more logical sense and are more narratively satisfying than a direct continuation of G1 could be). Continuation theories may be some of the easiest to come up with (because it's easier to draw connections to past stories than it is to predict future ones), and may be compelling to people who still refuse to let go of G1 Bionicle and accept that it's over, but I have yet to see one that makes the story more logical in context, rather than less (one of the most important factors of a good twist), and every one of those theories is predicated on the idea that Lego would put more energy into lying to their fans than they would into actually coming up with an interesting and original story. Personally, I don't think that makes any sense. Assuming specific motives and outcomes in the face of all evidence, statements to the contrary, and common sense is the mark of a conspiracy theory. But I suppose that's nothing new for this fandom...

• Upvote 2

Whether or not the Mask of Time dealio is intended to indicate a far-flung connection to the old canon, G2 is still a reboot, at the very least in the sense that the creators themselves are using the term. That was the first thing they said when G2 was announced, you can watch the video if you want.

"Continuation" and "reboot" aren't mutually exclusive terms, they can be mixed in a variety of ways that sometimes make trying to define a single, solid continuity through the whole thing very muddy. That is what I tend to believe is going on at this point with Bionicle, but of course, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Transformers had Beast Wars, which succeeded the G1 continuity and was set in the far-flung future of it, but from what I understand had very, very little to do with the original as far as its core plot went. In fact, I remember reading that the G1 that Beast Wars alluded to was in fact a concocted mesh of two separate cartoon and comic continuities from G1 - if that's the case, I don't see why Bionicle G2 couldn't be adopting an "inaccurate" G1 as its ancestor. In any case, Beast Wars was effectively a reboot, and though I don't really know the Transformers fandom I'd assume they identify it as such.

Beast 23rd was originally suppose to be a reboot with no connections but the fans were making connection with G2 to G1. Midway the first season they changed the storyline for season Two for it to be a true connection.

Maybe Bionicle is doing a similar thing.

It tried to create a new thing but the fans wanted a connection.

And now we have it.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Trying to force a continuation where it doesn't fit? Maybe they wanted it to fit better than it would have if it were simply Spherus Magna? These sets don't really give me the feeling of "oh they're starting over by hitting the world reset button" rather than "these are some of the most powerful toa yet they don't even seen to struggle like they've been doing it for years" it even said that the Toa are old heroes in the "Arrival" webisode. All through G2 I've seen it as nothing more than trying to continue the old story while presenting new story elements (which isn't quite working all that well) and that's how I see it, and just because the creators said it was a reboot does not mean we can trust them. Why would you trust Lego??

I wish someone banned Tuuli. Anyway, just because the G2 Mask of Time shares the name of the G1 Vahi does not mean both incarnations of the masks are linked together in any way other than their names. G2 is not a continuation of G1, it is its own separate entity & will never be linked together in story. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Why would you trust Lego??

See, this. This is the problem with your entire argument.

Lying is a deliberate action, and requires motives. If Lego was lying to a room full of their biggest fans, what exactly was the motive supposed to be? Keep in mind that a continuation WAS in fact a popular idea ever since Bionicle ended in the first place. Not a single person in that room was the kind of new fan who might be intimidated by all those years of backstory. And the presenters who first revealed the theme were well aware of the kinds of speculation that was permeating all the online rumors and discussion about a possible return—their specific words ("It's a reboot, so you can put aside all the rumors and speculation") are evidence enough to that. So what would they have to gain by lying, other than preserving a fairly cheap twist? Surely if there were any time to announce that the theme was going to be a continuation of the Bionicle fans knew and loved, that would be it. But instead they were quick to emphasize that the theme was a reboot, and that while it had similar characters and a similar setting, the characters and story would still be new and original. I fail to see any practical reason for lying to those fans only to pull the rug out from under them later on. All that would be is a betrayal of the older fans, the only ones who would actually be familiar with the original story and care about it being continued in the first place.

As for the idea that the story was originally meant as a reboot but is being retooled into a continuation, I'm still extremely skeptical. Keep in mind that one of the Lego representatives at the theme's reveal actually mentioned the Mask of Time, and that it would be a "full mask" this time (the meaning of which was not immediately clear). So even though the graphic novels were almost a whole year from release at that point, the groundwork for some of the core mysteries of the story was obviously already in place in the story bible. This is part of why this Mask of Time reveal is so interesting to me—it's evidence that the story is building toward something big, something that has been in the works from the get-go. And I can't wait to see what that is.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 5

We need the Bionicle team here the little G1 reference that was in the graphic novel has caused a HUGE DISCUSSION i mean yea it could be:

1) Simple Reference

2) Actual Connection to G1

But we shouldn't be calling LEGO liars especially when they brought the line back from the DEAD and have done a lot cause LEGO could'v just reboot the Bionicle line with a 30min special and there but no they also made a series and a first in Netflix and they also made Books and Graphic Novels i mean who knows if there Bionicle notebooks next year.

• Upvote 1

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

I personally don't see how they match stylistically.

Also, there was never any "upper half" in G1.

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

I personally don't see how they match stylistically.

Also, there was never any "upper half" in G1.

Well, they may not match stylistically, but they DO seem to work together in terms of their overall basic shape. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the lower half of the G2 Vahi, when it's revealed, is based on the G1 Vahi but updated with sleeker lines and a more detailed shape, just like how the Toa masks were updated last year. Heck, even if it WERE meant to represent the same exact mask from G1, I would expect that to be the case—the original Vahi mold is likely long gone and as the very first mask designed for Bionicle, it's certainly due for an update.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 5