Theories Proven Wrong

I was just wondering what theories you guys have had that had been proven wrong over the years?

I'll start:

The Lord of Skull Spiders ​was Makuta, severely weakened after the battle between him and Ekimu. I only based this theory on the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, which sounded like it might have a similar power to the Mask of Control, and was helped along by LoSS's lack of characterization.

Not sure what I was thinking back then.

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

One theory was that the Armor color on the Toa represented a connection to a side element of sorts. Tahu having Fire and Plasma, Kopaka having Ice and Psionics, Onua having Earth and Gravity, Gail having Water and Lightning, Lewa having Plant Life and Air, and Pohatu having Stone and Magnetism.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

As a seven year old kid I thought Mata-Nui was a demigod under the command of God (yes, that God).

Also as a seven year old kid I thought the player character in the MNOG was a human kid who was on the island of Mata-Nui. (When you think about it they don't show Takua is a Matoran until the end of the game...)

I used to think Mata-Nui was an actual spirit. Right up until the moment he awoke in 2008...

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I thought Metru Nui was Mata Nui urbanized with the Turaga becoming Toa & Lhikan was given a toa stone by the Toa Metru, not the other way around.

• Upvote 4

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Kulta is Makuta. I mean, he's not, but I thought he was: same color-scheme, horns, dead-ish, the mask forge. It was a good theory... until it wasn't.

I thought exactly the same thing and that the shadow ish mask in the first poster of G2 was the mask of Ultimate Power but in reality its a Kulta mask. Edited by Tahu3.0

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Also as a seven year old kid I thought the player character in the MNOG was a human kid who was on the island of Mata-Nui. (When you think about it they don't show Takua is a Matoran until the end of the game...)

I used to think Mata-Nui was an actual spirit. Right up until the moment he awoke in 2008...

Back when Mata Nui awoke, I was stupid enough for some days to believe that he was Between Metru Nui and Mata Nui. Only realized that Metru Nui(And the MU) was INSIDE him the whole time a few days later.

I thought these as well.

Also, in the beginning of 2004, I thought the Turaga became Toa when they arrived in Metru Nui from Mata Nui. I didn't realize that the story was a flashback, but I learned it soon after.

Oh, and I originally thought that the Rahaga were Toa who turned into Rahaga instead of Turaga because of having a "bad destiny"... not sure what that entailed though.

In 2009 I thought the hero Agori from the My LEGO Network Bionicle campaign might be transformed into the new body for Mata Nui, similarly to how the Mask of Life turned Dekar into Hydraxon and Click into Mata Nui's shield. But then it turned out that the Mask of Life was able to just make Mata Nui a new body from... sand, somehow.

• Upvote 3

I used to think that a few of the Piraka were once Toa-Like beings, but were corrupted into their current forms by some strange power. I don't remember exactly, but I can hand wave it as "Makuta did it".

Also, I was speculating in early '07 that the Toa Inika would descend into the Pit and mutate into their summer wave forms via the pit mutagen. Then the Mahri happened.

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

(I'll do this eventually, I swear...)

My BZPRPG Characters

Corpus Rahkshi Characters: Kol Arsenal Swarm Amalgamation

Skyrise Characters: Zavon

I had a theory that the new bionicle story was some hyper continuation in a different timeline where things may have gone somewhat differently, but as I've been told by many many bzpowers that it's simply a "restart" of the story. A real shame, it could have been a mind blowing continuation, but now it'll be nothing more than a simple "good vs evil" story with a one sided ending.

Main theory of mine that I held to for a year was that the turaga of Mata-Nui were somehow energized by Metru-Nui and turned into toa, They would go back between the two locations, their forms going back between toa and turaga. That was thrown out the window when I watched Legends of Metru-Nui.

In 2009 I thought the hero Agori from the My LEGO Network Bionicle campaign might be transformed into the new body for Mata Nui, similarly to how the Mask of Life turned Dekar into Hydraxon and Click into Mata Nui's shield. But then it turned out that the Mask of Life was able to just make Mata Nui a new body from... sand, somehow.

Head canon of mine is that the Ignika and Mata Nui crashed into that group of scarabax beetles and killed them all except for one, Click. The ignika made Mata Nui's body out of the beetle corpses, making his armor have lots of beetle engravings and metallic designs, his blue skin maybe having a vague beetle-shaped looking birthmark somewhere. And because he is a non-sentient li'l guy, Click was able to befriend Mata Nui without fully realizing that his friend and master is literally made out of his family.

• Upvote 6

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 2 weeks later...

I used to think the Toa Nuva were just another set of bad guys for the Mata.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I was expecting kind of a Wizard of Oz moment when we finally heard a description of Artakha; you know, the mysterious ruler of the island that bears his name ends up being a Turaga or similar being. I also imagined Mata Nui as being Toa-sized, and ending up wearing the Kanohi Vahi. Also, I think that the ending of the Mata Nui Online game left me thinking that Makuta was actually dead.

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Head canon of mine is that the Ignika and Mata Nui crashed into that group of scarabax beetles and killed them all except for one, Click. The ignika made Mata Nui's body out of the beetle corpses, making his armor have lots of beetle engravings and metallic designs, his blue skin maybe having a vague beetle-shaped looking birthmark somewhere. And because he is a non-sentient li'l guy, Click was able to befriend Mata Nui without fully realizing that his friend and master is literally made out of his family.

That is amazing.

I used to think Hydraxon was just a pit-mutate- actually I didn't know about pit mutagen then.

I used to think Hydraxon was just Axonn that was "upgraded" along with the Inika Toa for the aquatic environment.

-both are heavily armed and armored titans

-both are adorned in silver

-both have roundish masks

-they basically have the same name, only one has the prefix "hydr-" which means water

Actually, I think these similarities are too strong to be coincidences. I bet Hydraxon was originally supposed to be an upgraded Axonn during development. 

Edit: Oh, and I used to think (back in like, 2001-2002) that Onua was the Toa of stone, Pohatu the Toa of sand, and Lewa the Toa of plant-life.

I also used to think the Bohrok came down from the sky like meteors. Much like the Toa.

Edited by Toa Doublebee

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

For the longest time I thought the island of Mata Nui and the city of Metru Nui were the same size (as in area).

I also though that krana and krataa were just different forms of the same species of mind-controlling bug.

:kakama: 

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Way back when there was the theory that Nidhiki was still in the same form as when he was a Toa; meaning that Toa weren't always humanoid. Yeah, that one got overturned.

Gosh, not only did I think that, but I for some reason thought his claws were handheld weapons.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

"The Visorak are mutated Fikou spiders!"

... I was 11 years old, what can I say.  :shrugs:

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~
  • Upvote 3

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Back in early 2004, I thought that Lhikan's team was still present on Metru Nui, only they had been transformed in some way or another.  We knew of Turaga Dume and we knew that Nidhiki was formerly a Toa.  For me, it stood to reason that they were Lhikan's Toa of Stone and Air, respectively.  Then we had Krekka, whom I assumed was a former Toa of Water or Ice.  And I guess the remaining Toa would be revealed later? :shrugs:

At any rate, I didn't even consider that when Vakama famously said "You are not the first Toa", what he meant was "you aren't even the second or third generation of Toa.  There's like a million Toa in the world."

But hey, all we had seen up until that point was teams of six.  Most of the mythology of the Dark Hunters wasn't even written until 2005.

It was the age of crazy theories!

• Upvote 3

Read SPIRIT's reminded me of another, quite understandable misconception based on 2004 promo art: I thought the Vahki head behind the Toa Metru in that one particular image was a new single villain on the level of Makuta. It wasn't until a while after the Vahki sets had been out I realized that figure was just a Bordakh. It was a simpler time.

• Upvote 4

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

For the longest time I thought that all characters would automatically have the elemental powers associated with their color. I was kinda crushed when I realized that the Vahki, the Visorak, the Piraka and the Barraki didn't control the six main elements we've seen. I also assumed the Rahkshi in 2003 had the elemental powers plus the special Rahkshi powers. I assumed that's what makes them so formidable. 

Chalk me up to the "thought Hydraxon was Axonn's Mahri Nui version" crowd.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Takanuva has the same legs and arms as Gali Nuva. That and the yellow eyes, she's clearly the one to become the Toa of Light.

Mmmm. Smell that? That's vintage.

Ooh, I remember thinking that too.

I had a lot of misconceptions when I was younger.

• I came to BIONICLE at the end of 2002,and for a the best part of a year afterwards, I missed out on all the imagery of the Toa assembling themselves. Because of that, I thought they were just humans in armour, and that this was all set in some ancient version of Polynesia.
  • I thought the Bahrag were super-advanced Bohrok themselves.
  • Must sound dumb, but I didn't make the connection between Ahkmou and the Shadow Plague ball salesman for years. Thoguht they were two separate Matoran.
  • I also thought the Bordahk in the back of the 2004 poster was a new, non-Vahki villain for ages. It also took me a while to realise that their eyes were the trans bits that stuck over from the back of the head, rather than the lines on the main head piece.
  • I thought the guy in the 2009 poster, on Bara Magna, was Matoro. Pretty disappointed it turned out to be Mata nui.
  • The stuff about the different layers of ocean and Karda Nui being under Voya Nui (which was on the same sea as Mata Nui, above Metru Nui) confused me, so when the Mata Nui robot arose I didn't get that the Matoran Universe was inside it. I even wrote a piece of fanfiction where the robot (controlled by Makuta at the time) is destroyed, and the wreckage falls into Ga-Metru bay.
  • I thought the Great Beings were biomechanical too, though based on pretty much everything we knew about them until the serials, this was a fair assumption. I also thought they had powers of their own, reality-bending abilities that let them create stuff like the Mask of Life (think Franklin Richards level powers), but this was debunked fairly quickly.
  • For ages, I thought Matoran and Toa of any given element could be either gender. I also thought any Matoran could become a Toa of Light if they put on the mask.
  • When Vladek from Knights' Kingdom turned up with a new helmet in 2005, I thought it was a Kanohi mask, and that they were gearing up for a Knights' Kingdom/BIONICLE crossover, which would have been amazing. Someone on BZP actually did a really cool crossover comic around this time that I've never been able to find since (if anyone has a link, please forward it to me).
  • I thought the Bohrok Kal had a new set of elements rather than just powers...and it turns out, with the exception of vacuum, I was later proven right. The only difference is that I thought the Toa Nuva were going to 'upgrade' to these different elements, which they didn't.
  • Also in 2003, the Bohrok Kal came with these leaflet things that had a teaser picture of the Rahkshi springing out from a bright white light and flanked by the Masks of Light and Shadow. The picture was small and I couldn't make out the details properly, and I thought these were the next iterations of the Toa Nuva, some kind of more angelic form. I was right about the black mask being Makuta but I thought the gold mask was Mata Nui himself. Wrong.
  • It was years before I realised a Kraata powered a Rahkshi. I thought the Kraata were just a projectile weapon and the Rahkshi itself was just...a Rahkshi. Wrong.
  • When I'd just seen a glance of the set picture, I thought Nocturn was a mutated hybrid of Takadox and Carapar. Again, wrong.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm 110% sure there was more. While an avid fan, my theories were almost always off the mark, either a little bit or completely, though that never really detracted from play value.

I think the most disappointing debunked theory was that there would be a connection between Gen 1 and Gen 2 besides some dead-end easter eggs. How wrong I was.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

• I also thought the Bordahk in the back of the 2004 poster was a new, non-Vahki villain for ages. It also took me a while to realise that their eyes were the trans bits that stuck over from the back of the head, rather than the lines on the main head piece.
  • I thought the guy in the 2009 poster, on Bara Magna, was Matoro. Pretty disappointed it turned out to be Mata nui.
*Same here. Was completely sure it was a new Makuta-level antagonist.

*Understandable. As I heard, it was supposed to be the canister version of Mata Nui, but the set was unfinished/unavailable at the time.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Back in early 2004, I thought that Lhikan's team was still present on Metru Nui, only they had been transformed in some way or another.  We knew of Turaga Dume and we knew that Nidhiki was formerly a Toa.  For me, it stood to reason that they were Lhikan's Toa of Stone and Air, respectively.  Then we had Krekka, whom I assumed was a former Toa of Water or Ice.  And I guess the remaining Toa would be revealed later? :shrugs:

At any rate, I didn't even consider that when Vakama famously said "You are not the first Toa", what he meant was "you aren't even the second or third generation of Toa.  There's like a million Toa in the world."

But hey, all we had seen up until that point was teams of six.  Most of the mythology of the Dark Hunters wasn't even written until 2005.

It was the age of crazy theories!

Hey I made that assumption too! Well, I thought Krekka was one of Lhikan's teammates at least. And then I thought Sidorak and Roodaka were transformed members of that team when they were released... I wasn't too well-versed in any lore that didn't appear in the comics back then.

The thought of non-Matoran species was just so inconceivable back in '05 that everything had to be a Matoran/Toa/Turaga or a mutation of them.

• Upvote 1

I thought when I was a kid that Teridax (I thought he was the only Makuta and I didn't even know that he was named Teridax) was a powerful spirit that could watch everyone, go everywhere and possess bodies and stuff. He is just a being with shadow abilities, not a bad spirit. My mind as a kid was very creative.

Edited by Toa-Aletrax

"The future will bring the answers to your questions, but only if you stop speaking long enough to notice them."

~Toa Nuju

My fanfiction (continuation of G1):

Chapter1 The Plan

Chapter2 The Encounter

Chapter3 The Blueprints

Chapter4 The Fight

Chapter5 The Traveller

Chapter6 New Tools

Chapter7 Rescuers on the Red Star

My musical project: The Chronicler (the topic of the project)

Songs:

- Le-Matoran in Bota Magna

- Triumph of The Seventh Toa

- Building New Atero (Le-Matoran in Bota Magna VIP)

In the first Bionicle comic, Nuju says that the Matoran used to be "as pure and strong as the ice" until Makuta came.

I thought this meant that all Matoran used to be Toa until they were degraded over time by Makuta's evil influence. The fact that Kopaka just looked like a giant version of Matoro—same mask and all—seemed to support this. It was only a few years later that I realized there WAS a connection between the Toa and Matoran, but I had the direction backwards. 

That is amazing.

I used to think Hydraxon was just a pit-mutate- actually I didn't know about pit mutagen then.

I used to think Hydraxon was just Axonn that was "upgraded" along with the Inika Toa for the aquatic environment.

-both are heavily armed and armored titans

-both are adorned in silver

-both have roundish masks

-they basically have the same name, only one has the prefix "hydr-" which means water

Actually, I think these similarities are too strong to be coincidences. I bet Hydraxon was originally supposed to be an upgraded Axonn during development. 

Edit: Oh, and I used to think (back in like, 2001-2002) that Onua was the Toa of stone, Pohatu the Toa of sand, and Lewa the Toa of plant-life.

I also used to think the Bohrok came down from the sky like meteors. Much like the Toa.

I mean, Brutaka was running around in the Pit too, so it would make a lot of sense. Heck, they probably planned on making Pit Brutaka, too, then they might have decided that bringing out new characters as titans for '07 would be better. Besides, it'd make sense story-wise for Axonn to remain on Voya Nui, so that he could stay and protect the Matoran. :)

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

Trickle-Down Theory

Not much of a theory, but when I was younger I thought the Barraki were the Toa Mahri/Inika of the time.

I also always wondered about that weird floating gold mask in MNOG underneath the Onu-koro mines. I keep forgetting if there was ever any canonical explanation of it but I imagine around 2003 lots of people were thinking it had been a sign of the coming of the seventh Toa.

• Upvote 1

I also always wondered about that weird floating gold mask in MNOG underneath the Onu-koro mines. I keep forgetting if there was ever any canonical explanation of it but I imagine around 2003 lots of people were thinking it had been a sign of the coming of the seventh Toa.

I don't think the golden mask ever had a canon explanation — it was just an easter egg to use in the "Quest for the Golden Mask" sweepstakes (similar to others that appeared in LEGO Mania Magazine, on Bionicle.com, and on Bioniclemusic.com).

• Upvote 2

I don't think the golden mask ever had a canon explanation — it was just an easter egg to use in the "Quest for the Golden Mask" sweepstakes (similar to others that appeared in LEGO Mania Magazine, on Bionicle.com, and on Bioniclemusic.com).

it could be used now to show that that was the location for plans for the Golden Armor of Tahu. Why it was put there, of all places, is an even greater mystery.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I was half-asleep when I had this "breakthrough"- Ekimu is just Vakama after the Mask of Life resets the MU. Something along the lines of Artakha giving Vakama the Mask of Creation because he was the only person who'd ever created a Legendary Mask besides the Great Beings and sending him to Bota Magna with his teleportation powers. I honestly have no idea.

Also, I'm another one who thought the figure in the Bara Magna poster was Matoro.

Edited by Radicool21

I have tons.

Generation 1

• Mata Nui is an allegory for God and the Makuta is an allegory for Satan/Lucifer. This was before 2008's big reveal.
  • Jaller x Hahli
  • Not really a theory, but I didn't know about the gender-locked tribes until later on. When I first played MNOG, I thought some of the Ga-Matoran NPCs were male and Kopeke, Tamaru, and NPCs from other villages were female.
  • While watching WoS, I thought there was a weird love triangle going on. Sidorak loves Roodaka, Roodaka loves Makuta, and Makuta only loves himself. However, this may have been intentional on the film makers' part which doesn't mesh with the established canon. It's clear that they portrayed Roodaka as a femme fatale.
  • The Piraka would be 2006's protagonists. Hoo boy, was I wrong.
  • Before the set was actually released, many people thought that Spinax's head piece was a mask, like Vezon's from the previous year. There were debates on what the in-universe reason was, if there was one, but it turned out that the "mask" on the back of Spinax's head was just some holes and detailing.
  • There are different Bohrok nests for each one of Mata Nui's domes.
  • The Legend Reborn will be good.

Generation 2

• The Protectors sets represent the villagers; they're not individual characters.
  • Kulta is Makuta. Since his body was not properly preserved like Ekimu's, so it decayed into an undead skeleton.
  • The Toa Uniters' masks turn gold when they combine with the creatures. They're not going on another mask hunt again, right? .... Right?

Me too. I feel like that was the plan at some point, but they changed it to sand because.... well, let's face it, being made out dead bugs isn't a good trait for your protagonist.

I thought the guy in the 2009 poster, on Bara Magna, was Matoro. Pretty disappointed it turned out to be Mata nui.

They used Matoro as a placeholder image, which confused a lot of people, too. Many thought that Matoro would somehow be showing up on Bara Magna.

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.