If Bionicle goes into 2018...

This is my idea of what could happen sets why's for Bionicle.

Winter wave 2017

Are small sets are villagers and for nostalgia lets give them some old Matoran names.

(Jaller, Kongu, Hahli, Nuparu, Matoro, and Hewkii)

Instead of a single villain we have another villager (hopefully named Takua) on a creature with a legendary mask (mask of time most likely)

We still have our same old Toa but in New gear.

Summer wave 2017

Makuta and some villain sets.

Our G2 Takua is now Toa sized Takanuva.

Winter wave 2018

Are villagers from last year our are new Toa.

Takanuva becomes the new wise leader figure for these new Toa.

This is most likely what will happen for Bionicle.

It can easily cut off at 2017 or start a new story arc in 2018.

The story that will go with these future sets is for speculation.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Eh i honestly want G2 to end in 2017 as i won't be able to collect anymore by that time but if they just continue a new story arc then im ok with that i just hope that we get something like the Inika in 2018 even if i won't be able to collect them.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

Honestly, I doubt this is a question of "if" anymore. The only thing that might hint at it ending in 2017 is an unconfirmed (as far as I know) throwaway comment from someone who probably isn't even a credible source. I've written in many threads before, Bionicle sales are high in Europe (though I know that is hardly the only factor).

I'm not sure we'll actually get a Makuta set in '17. He's still just a disembodied cloud of shadow right now, and while something could happen in summer 2016 or winter 2017 that allows him to repossess the bigger, black/red version of his body that we saw in the animations, I'm hoping it isn't rushed.

I'm guessing Umarak will be killed or "defeated" this summer, and then again the writers might not just pull out a new villain and go for makuta in 2017.

In any case, I'm still hoping for the story to go in a direction that Makuta isn't actually a villain. Either give the MoUP a consciousness or make Ekimu the real villain.

So in 2018:

Winter: 

Canister size: something other than a fourth iteration of the Toa. How about the Toa are defeated along with the protectors, and the new generation of protectors somehow acquire the powers of the Toa and get new armor and weapons. Call them the "Guardians", since they're upgraded protectors.

Let's say that Makuta is saved from the influence of the MoUP in 2017, so the MoUP looks for a new "host". We know that the LoSS isn't dead, just defeated. The MoUP "attracts" it a-la the one ring and mutates it into a new creature. Release this in the winter.

small sets: either the diminished and weakened Toa, or to mix things up, a wave of villain small sets? Something like the children of the LoSS. They'd be varied, but basically all would follow the spider archetype.

Summer:

Since Ekimu get's a Toa-size upgrade this year, how about give the now-good Makuta one as well? The placebo-titan set could be a villager with an animal mount designed for war (as outlined in my thread about armor upgrades in 2017), with the other canister sized sets being various villains. Maybe a resurrected undead Umarak and other apparitions summoned by the MoUP.

Since we'd get the MoUP as the "ultimate" mask in 2017, re-using it in winter 2018 (just like we get a trans-blue mask of creation this year) would free up summer 2018 for the Mask of Time in set form.

That's my two cents, anyway.

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The main question about what we'll see in 2018 depends on whether the original planned arc for Bionicle is wrapped up in 2017 (in which case, if the theme continues, it will proceed to newly-developed story arcs and plot threads) or if the theme's extension results in core mysteries of the story getting deferred for future years (like how Mata Nui's awakening was postponed in G1, first from 2001 to 2003 and then fron 2003 to 2008).

In the former case, there's almost no telling what we'll get, since the Mask of Time and Mask of Ultimate Power would probably be released in 2017 to wrap up the initial story arc. But in the latter case, the release of one or both of those masks might be deferred to 2018 or even later.

And beyond that, it's anyone's guess. It's probably a little too early to predict anything meaningful about 2018, considering the 2017 story hasn't even concluded yet.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

And beyond that, it's anyone's guess. It's probably a little too early to predict anything meaningful about 2018, considering the 2017 story hasn't even concluded yet.

Let alone 2016. There's still more JtO episodes on the way plus no story details about the summer are known yet beyond there being a big green volcano and lots of angry beasts doing angry beast things.

• Upvote 2

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

I want a villain wave! We've gotten so many toa, and no actual bad-guy wave to fight them. Perhaps ugraded rahkshi?

We've gotten one villain wave and will be getting another in the summer. They may neither have had a full six Toa-sized villains, but that doesn't disqualify them from counting as villain waves—not by a long shot. You could maybe argue that their inclusion of heroic characters disqualifies them, but in that case we haven't really gotten any hero waves either—the inclusion of Lord of Skull Spiders and Umarak the Hunter means that every single wave we've gotten has technically been mixed.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Honestly, I doubt this is a question of "if" anymore. The only thing that might hint at it ending in 2017 is an unconfirmed (as far as I know) throwaway comment from someone who probably isn't even a credible source. I've written in many threads before, Bionicle sales are high in Europe (though I know that is hardly the only factor).

I only said "if" so I wouldn't get a huge argument in a topic ment to be about a simple thing.

(you only make that mistake once)

I believe Bionicle will pull another

Inika move.

Old characters shown anew.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

I want a villain wave! We've gotten so many toa, and no actual bad-guy wave to fight them. Perhaps ugraded rahkshi?

We've gotten one villain wave and will be getting another in the summer. They may neither have had a full six Toa-sized villains, but that doesn't disqualify them from counting as villain waves—not by a long shot. You could maybe argue that their inclusion of heroic characters disqualifies them, but in that case we haven't really gotten any hero waves either—the inclusion of Lord of Skull Spiders and Umarak the Hunter means that every single wave we've gotten has technically been mixed.

I meant a full wave of six villain sets. I was always more of a fan of those than the toa waves. (For example, the Piraka and the Barraki.) The skull wave was decent, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the wave that came before it.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Trust me that would be nice, but that's not going to happen as Lego doesn't seem to care a thing about villagers this time around. Also the end of every year will be: "Ekimu swoops in and saves the day for the toa"

Trust me that would be nice, but that's not going to happen as Lego doesn't seem to care a thing about villagers this time around. Also the end of every year will be: "Ekimu swoops in and saves the day for the toa"

Time or in this case the Mask of Time may tell a different story.

We still have a whole year tell then.

But in the meantime we can only guess for your guess is as good as mine.

You're getting your causality backwards. LEGO didn't have sets of the villagers back in G1 because they cared more about them back then. Rather, they cared more about them back then because there were sets of them. Therefore, if the set designers decided they wanted to release villager sets for 2017 or 2018, the villagers of Okoto would be written into the story in a greater capacity.

On another note, the writers of the Mata Nui Online Game and Bionicle Game Boy Advance game wrote them about the villagers because they didn't want them to conflict with the PC game, which was a much bigger investment. Like the comics, the PC game would have been squarely focused on the Toa. So the fact that 2001 Bionicle ended up with more media focusing on the villagers than on the Toa was largely accidental, due to one of the main pieces of media that year, the PC game, being cancelled.

Later on, the 2004–2010 Bionicle story media focused much less on villager characters and much more on the theme's main heroes and villains. So villagers not getting a lot of emphasis in the 2015 and 2016 storylines is not really something new or surprising. It's just prioritizing the characters who were meant to be the main characters in the first place.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

@Aanchir but they are doing an awful job of it. The villagers in the first story more or less gave the toa something to be fighting for, these individuals living on the island. Without the villagers of the first story it would not have been so fleshed out it would have been a roboriders or slizer story.

@Aanchir but they are doing an awful job of it. The villagers in the first story more or less gave the toa something to be fighting for, these individuals living on the island. Without the villagers of the first story it would not have been so fleshed out it would have been a roboriders or slizer story.

The villagers were only fleshed out in the books, the movie and slightly in MNOG. You claimed in another thread not to have read the books, so that point is moot, the movie only came out in '03, so that isn't valid either. The only thing G1 had over G2 so far is MNOG, which was great in world-building but not so much in characterization.

'01 and '02 didn't have too much more villager characterization over '15 and '16, honestly...

• Upvote 1

Uh yes what will the line do in 2018? 

I don't know, does it look like I can see the future!  :D

Okay honestly, if the line wraps up in 2017 I won't mind, if we get a good ending. But if it goes to 2018, okay that's cool I guess... But I have no way of knowing what will happen. If you had asked 8 year old me in 2002 to guess what Bionicle was going to do in 2004-2008 I'd never have guessed that is where the story was going to go. Sometimes you need to just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

And as for the characterization of the villagers...  The only factor that was different from 2001 and 2015 was again... the MNOG. It sounds like I'm beating a dead horse here, but the comics in 2001 didn't focus on the villagers, they just gave brief story segments of the Toa fighting stuff... not much more complex than the 2015 web animations where. The one comic that had a large villager segment was the throw away Tohunga-Kaita dealio with the McDonalds stuff; not much for complex story and more of a "Hey look kids at this ugly combiner you can build from our Happy Meal Toys!" advert. The only story time that the villagers got was MNOG, and Templar Studios needs to be congratulated for that. Templar was also the only ones to give the villagers any meaning in 2002 and early 2003 to with the online animations, as the comics again focused on the Toa fighting the current villains of the era. It wasn't until 2003 that Lego really invested a large portion of the story to the villagers in the film; but that was mostly because the main character of that film became a Toa at the end. 

It is also worth noting the 2001-2003 novels where all released in 2003... So any characterization we got there was not from the line's early years but from the line's third year in. 

So in comparison 2015 and 2016 has brought us two very villager-centric novelizations and graphic novels. Although I haven't read it; it sounds like Revenge of the Skull Spiders is about %90 villager focused. That is far more than Hapka's 2003 novels ever gave us; and is probably on par with the Templar web animations. So again the only thing G1 did better villager wise in its early years was again MNOG (and putting the character names on the toy's box). Everything else was on par or even dare I say worse than what G2 gave us. MNOG was the one factor that made it better; and I think replaying MNOG shows it was extremely well done. 

So to amend my first statement; dear Lego Group. If Bionicle lasts until 2018; please give us Okoto NOG. Please and thank you. 

• Upvote 3

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I Think a time travel plotline would be cool to see. I mean, we have another mask of time, right? Maybe we could go to the past/future of Okoto, and have some major plot twists going on?

Back story: at the end of 2017, Makuta loses, but is still "out there", plotting revenge. Ekimu has a vision via the upper Vahi of the future and the past, about a coming calamity.

Somehow, they get the lower half of the Vahi.

Tahu: ...where did you get that?

Ekimu: A good question... for another time.

Tahu: >:I

This allows them to open time portals, to save the island from evil. yada yada yada.

Sets: 6 little guys- the mask makers (besides Ekimu and Makuta), each with a different awesome mask. 3 are in the future, 3 in the past.

Winter wave:

(past) 3 Toa, 4 villains

-Pohatu, Gali, Lewa, all Cavemanned up, ready to fight...

-Dinosaur based villains! Velociraptor, Pterosaur, and Mosasaur based baddies. Plus, we find out that the MoUP is really possessed by an evil Spirit, and the boss of the dinosaur villains is the one whose ghost inhabits it... he's not a Dino himself. More like a Witch Doctor type character (who was AMAZING by the way). He's the ultimate baddy- like the Sidious of Bionicle. The Toa have a win, but "Sidious" gets away...

Summer:

(future) 4 heroes, 4 villains

-Tahu, Onua, and Kopaka, looking like they belong in a crossover between Tron and Bladerunner, all neoned up, vs...

-Shadow Cyborgs! Techno villains with advanced weaponry who utilize the power of Shadow, led by...

-Makuta! of this dystopian Future, in which he has won. However, he has met some resistance from...

-The Toa of Time: Takanuva.

This kick-starts the 3 year time travel story arc, which will be so confusing Bionicle will lose all of its fanbase, but it will be awesome, so yeah.

• Upvote 2

I Think a time travel plotline would be cool to see. I mean, we have another mask of time, right? Maybe we could go to the past/future of Okoto, and have some major plot twists going on?

Back story: at the end of 2017, Makuta loses, but is still "out there", plotting revenge. Ekimu has a vision via the upper Vahi of the future and the past, about a coming calamity.

Somehow, they get the lower half of the Vahi.

Tahu: ...where did you get that?

Ekimu: A good question... for another time.

Tahu: >:I

Kopaka: Did someone just say TIIIMMMMMMMEEEEEEE????? :D

Ekimu: No DON'T-

*Vwashoomp*

Kopaka: It is now officially... 'another time'.

Ekimu: ...Dude you just wiped Okoto from existence... -_-

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer to see brand new Toa with brand new names tbh. If they redo more Gen 1 characters I won't buy them unless they have exclusive masks.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!