Eyru

IC:Hanari

She glanced around at Canus.

"Better than the desert. All things considered, probably can't ask for much more than that." She shrugged. She looked at some others getting up, seemingly getting ready to leave.

"Scavenging, I'm guessing?" She asked.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

IC: Zavarix - Canus

Zavarix nodded in response to Jasisu. The prospect of heading away from Canus, the only source of shelter in this wasteland, was unnerving now that it drew so close, yet it was one Zavarix would have to grow accustomed to if he was to survive here. He began to head towards the outskirts of the settlement, when one of the locals called out, inviting the newcomers to accompany her into the Wastes. He didn't like depending on others, nor having others depend on him, but for today at least it would seem wise to accept the aid of someone with experience, particularly if they were offering their help. Turning first to Jasisu, Zavarix changed his course, walking over to the Matoran who had called out.

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

IC Dessimus

And the dawn slowly rose. But he was awakened more by the feeling that his arm was burning off than the calm, wavering sunlight bursting through the gritty air.

Snarling, he gripped the stub of his arm as close as he could to his mechanical add-on and waited the pain out, which took about 15 minutes, or in mental time, 5 years.

The agony over with, he guzzled down a small storage of water, promising to refill it the next day, maybe. This was a hard time on everyone, and he needed to be out and about in the wastes, helping to search.

Although, it looked like maybe he didn't have to go alone. Toku had just come out, and chaotic entanglements always followed. And who didn't love chaotic entanglements?

Striding up, he gave a half-salute to her in his usual fashion. "Out for another dangerous digging, I see?"

OOC: Interacting with Toku.

IC (Bolu):

Night was falling over the wasteland. Soon the sun would rise, and the inhabitants of Canus would once again sally forth to pick over the barren sands. This time would be different, however, because Bolu would have companions. A smile crossed his face, eager to see what the morning would bring.

OOC: Let's timeskip, boyos!

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

IC: Gapori

Usually, I try not to think too hard about my predicament. I'm already an edgy cynic because of it. Still, I couldn't sleep last night, and when it's just you and your head for hours on end, it's hard not to think. About the wasteland, who I am, how I got here...

Brought back a whole lot of questions into perspective. 

Questions without answers.

Answers that won't come if I keep on going like this.

So my mind's already made up when I wake up. If I'm gonna die here, it's not gonna be on my #####, waiting around for something good to happen. I'm sick of scraping by every day, starving and wondering whether I'll wake up at all, and frankly, none of that's gonna change unless we do something.

I get up and rub face, picking away at the sand crusting up my eyelids before nudging Patches on the shoulder.

"Yo, it's time to get up."

IC: Elara - Canus. 

Returning to the village in the dimness of pre-dawn twilight, she shuffled back to her tent and settled in for a few hour's rest. Once things were a little brighter, she'd take a closer look at the loot she'd found, maybe ask Maru or someone about the carved stone, if necessary. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC (Jasisu - With Zavarix):

"Since we're both unarmed & I'm limited with a missing hand, I think we should stay relatively close to the village." Said the Fa-Matoran as she looked past the other Matoran towards the ocean of grey sand. "If you think you have a better plan, just let me know."

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

IC

One of these nights he'd die in his sleep.

That'd be a good start to his day, far far better than the current one's kickoff. Shaking the sand and sleep off, he ambled around for a bit to stretch and slung his sling and bag over a shoulder.

"What a life. So where do we go to kick off this treasure hunt? Is there some sorta guidelines for'em?"

...but close to it

Zavarix nodded in agreement to Jasisu's suggestion. There probably wasn't much of value near to Canus, but for today they probably shouldn't venture to far. Besides, it was always possible that there were still things buried under the endless sand, waiting to be uncovered.

Zavarix | Keristary

IC: Aurelius - Canus. 

As the first rays of morning flitted through the ragged fabric of his tent, Aurelius forced himself awake and set about preparing for another day in the Wasteland. With sword and shield strapped on, and his waterskin slung over his shoulder, he began his journey out into the sands once more. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Placing his trust in Jasisu, Zavarix followed her towards the Wastes, deciding against seeking aid from one of the locals. He doubted scavenging would be too hard and if they did have to venture out to far, he was lucky enough to be travelling with a Fa-Matoran. Finding their way back should be fairly straight forward. In theory at least, he thought to himself, looking back despite how close to Canus they were.

Zavarix | Keristary

"Actually, I had something else in mind." 

I rummaged around a rather big pile of junk in my corner, stuffing a bunch of it into a tattered bag. Clearly I'd been hoarding for a while now.

"How do you feel about paying the Mad Queen a visit?"

IC: Torpaq - Canus

I had drunk deep from a canteen, and I had accompanied my companion home. We had gone inside, if those scraps that made up walls could be called sides to be within. Darkness had fallen over the land, turning the world bluish-green as the light fought back, then black and hollow as the shadows won. I had lain in those shadows, and in the still cold I had pushed my questions, my quickly forming plans, my worries and concerns, all away. I had known that to sleep was a cushion where no physical one presented itself. Awareness, alertness, thought - all are weights we must carry in the day. I was content to discard them for the night.

There had been no sound as I drifted into slumber, save a soft, pulsating wind. I remember that it had sounded like gentle waves upon a beach. And then, in this surreal half-asleep world, I had wondered what a beach was. I had felt the sand on my fingertips, and had let torpid coma wash over me like a slow, lulling tide. I had closed my eyes, my mind still seeing the world around me...the sands...the village...the stationary banks of heavy clouds...the feeling of weight, of falling...darkness.

I awake, but it's still dark outside. I feel strangely conscious. I stand, and feel apprehension. Perhaps it is just the darkness, or the sleep lingering in my brain. There is something off about my surroundings. They feel wrong. There is no wind at all now, just silence. Stillness. Emptiness. I feel hypnagogic, surreal. Something not quite...right. I feel insulated, noise deadened. I stand up, no dizziness. I pause, listening to the silence...I think there's something outside the hut. I can't hear it, but I know it's there. I can't look, I can't look at it. But I have to see. The air is heavy, every breath shallow. I walk towards the hut's door. There's something wrong. It's dark and silent...everyone else is asleep. I go towards the door, hand pushing it open.

I'm in the sands now. I walk forwards, looking around me. Everything's desolate in this sleeping world. Nothing to see, or hear. Empty. Alone. Something's wrong though. Something's off. Not quite right. The door swings softly shut behind me...the sands all around me, grey in the darkness. I wonder what I had thought would be out here. I suppose that I should go back to bed, get some rest. Back to bed before I see It.  Back to bed. Everyone else sleeps. I just woke up by accident, back to bed. Back to bed before I see It.

But It's here, above me.

Dread. Pit of my stomach hollowness. It's above me. I can't look. Around me, just sands. Dunes in every direction, empty, still. A bank of clouds before me. It's there. Motionless, monolithic. I can't look. It defies gravity, looks down on me. It defies reason, sanity. Dense, hulking. Brooding, colossal. Clouds unmoving, sands unmoving. I try to turn and run, but the sands...on every side...I can't look at it...Canus swallowed up...can't move...can't run...fear, horror...dread...In the light we can't see It, but It's here. It always has been. Watching. I can't look at it. Dread swelling, overflowing. I've got to look. Sand on all sides, featureless. Still. I have to. I must go back...run...hide...I...I...

I look up at it.

I gasp for breath as light floods into my eyes, who claw at it and cling to it in desperation. Then the light pools into shapes and colours, and is followed by its brethren: sensation - that of coarse, scratchy, grit - invades my skin, while pain - dry and bitter - surges through my throat in a deluge. Cacophonous wailing refines itself into nearby speech, but odours and flavours stay subtle, electing to present the subdued qualities of dust and dry air. This discordant harshness of senses is met by my spluttering into frenzied life, and dragging myself to my feet in an instant.

Giddiness and disequilibrium claim me as I do so, causing my senses - already inflamed - to spiral into hysteria. When at last they have calmed like the waves on a choppy sea, I grab the hut's door and wrench it open, letting a downpour of sunlight even greater than the last torrent into the shack. It incinerates the darkness, and invigorates me, energizing my very spirit. I gaze out onto the sands, surveying my surroundings. The sun is bright and striking today, and, as I exit my temporary shelter, I aspire that I may be the same. The strange darkness that claimed me in the night has been washed away, and in the light I can see my path most clearly.

Edited by The Silent King
  • Upvote 2

Kathok

"Yeah well, you might not feel that way when she screams 'off with their heads!'" I commented, tossing him a burlap sack. "We're headed north. Take what you can from this pile and come find me outside. Hopefully it'll be as easy to convince Bolu and a few others to come with."

With that said, I hauled my bag over my shoulder and picked up a rusty bucket on my way out. It was just another stale day outside, which was good because I didn't want to have to deal with acid rain or sandstorms on our little trip to the tower. Took me less than a minute to find Bolu's shack, and it didn't look like anyone was awake when I got there.

So of course, I knocked as loud as I possibly could.

"Anyone still alive in there?"

IC: Agonos

Agonos muttered angrily to himself as he stepped out further in the dry wasteland than he had ever gone before. If he wanted good scrap, a good find, he would have to go deeper out there. Deeper than he wanted, but it wasn't like he had a choice. "Maybe I can find a river and just live there." He said aloud to himself.

So, foot in front of foot, he went. Deeper. Onward and onward. A few hours had passed and the sun climbed slowly. Canus became a glimmer in the distance, a few outlying shacks still clearly visible, but if he continued now, he would get lost. "Perfect." he muttered.

He flopped onto the ground, shovel out, and began to dig steadily.

IC (Jasisu-Border of Canus):

The Fa-Matoran traveled a few meters from the village & stopped to speak to Zavarix. "Do you have any ideas on where we should start digging?" She asked.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

IC Dessimus

"You need to be more careful on your visits to the queen." Dessimus unintentionally dodged the question, his eyes quivering nervously. "I definitely do not like the cynical attitude which she has displayed recently, and something is definitely up as well. Maybe it's the mask I wear, or the sharp manner of my voice, or maybe it's just my arm. But I swear half the assembled beings were giving me the evil eye, and if they're doing it with me they must be doing it with someone else."

Dessimus made a tiny shrug. "Then again, I've only been there twice... Oh, uh, yes. Yes I will."

IC

"Scavenging," Uri said, agreeing with Hanari. "You coming? I'll show you the ropes."

IC

The village slowly emptied as old and new villagers alike began the trek to the Wastes. The sky was overhung with low, grey clouds that cast the sands in dim light; if anyone asked Nix if it rained here, she would only shake her head and reply, Not water.

As Ira passed by Jasisu and Zavarix, who remained on the outskirts of Canus, he only raised an eyebrow. "Not sure you'll find much here," he said quietly, and moved on.

Canus was a mile or two out from the Wastes. As the Matoran straggled across the sands, they eventually came to a series of low cliffs that bordered the Wastes. The settlement sat on a plateau above the true desert, elevated on cliffs that were no more than thirty feet at their highest. Slim trails had been cut into the rock, allowing easier descent, but one wrong step meant taking a faster -and more painful- route to the bottom.

The sands of the Wastes were finer than the sands on the plateau, worn smooth by years of wind and storms. Less coarse on the skin and easier to walk on, and each step sank an inch or two into the colourless grains. The sand was grey, like the clouds.

The veterans stayed within a few hundred feet of the plateau, keeping the cliffs in sight. Evidently, they didn't trust the desert. Bringing makeshift spades and tools to bear, they began to slowly sift through the sands, looking for any scrap that might have been missed in the last thousand expeditions. Some of the newcomers, however, were less apprehensive.

Agonos was one of these. Marching forth into the Wastes, he let his feet carry him until the cliffs were almost out of sight. Out here in the middle of the desert, with the sun hidden behind thick clouds and vast dunes on every side, he had only his footprints to mark where he had come from. If he went any farther, he risked losing his sense of direction and dooming himself to wander the Wastes until his premature death.

He decided to dig, out here where few Matoran dared venture. His shovel scooped out pockets of grey sand, but it was hard going, as more just rushed in to fill the hole whenever he lifted his spade out. But he made slow progress, and after awhile, he felt his shovel clink against something that was definitely not sand.

After managing to sleep for a few hours, Elara emerged from her shelter and set out into the searing midday sun, leaving her spear and other meagre belongings behind. In her hands, carefully wrapped in a strip of tattered cloth, was the mysterious lump of stone she'd found during her explorations the night before. 

Tucking it under her arm, she started searching the village for Maru. Even if he didn't know what the tablet was, chances were that he'd at least be able to point her in the direction of someone who could. 

IC Toku:

She shrugged, hoisting her trident over her shoulders. "Haven't had any problems with her yet. Hoping to keep it that way. She's strange, but then, we're all a bit strange out here."

She shrugged again. "Just gotta make the best of things."

She started on a light jog, headed for a little dune she'd seen a while back that she had a good feeling about.

IC Dessimus

He stood, watching the two footprints she had made in the sand for a while, not caring to turn to see her leave.

And yet, we value life around here. Or... At least... I do.

Retrieving a battered pole from his hut, Dessimus turned towards the desolate wastes, and began a slow walk towards the grueling canyon.

IC (Jasisu-Border of Canus): 
She was surprised to see Ira walk past her & she barely heard him say "not much here." The Fa-Matoran replayed his words to double check if she managed to hear him correctly. "Hey Zavarix, do you want to head out further? I know that I said that we should stay here, but if what I heard Ira mumble is true, then we may as well head out further since there's not much we can find here." 

IC

He quickly shuffled through the junk, taking a few choice items and stuffing them into the sack. Of course, he also took a quick glance around the ramshackle shack for any other valuables, but it seemed to be that this Gapori literally only owned junk...

There had to be some sort of treasure or valuables kept in this village, something he could bring to this Queen and be handsomely rewarded, maybe he could be an duke or even archduke! That'd be the life, enjoying all the fresh water he could drink, luxurious service from the serfs here, lots of junk brought to him daily. Maybe he'd even be king one day if he had his charm about him.

Swinging the bag over his unburdened shoulder, he fastwalked out the door in time to hear the titanic crashing of his compatriots knock. Allowing him to easily pinpoint and mossy to his location.

...but close to it

IC: Zavarix

Zavarix thought about Jasisu's question as to where they should start digging, when Ira walked passed them. Upon hearing from him that they wouldn't find much this close by, Zavarix realised why the locals weren't so happy to have so many new Matoran show up; The locals had been scavenging on a daily basis to survive, going further out each day. Now that the population of the village had gone up by so much, they would have to venture out much further each day than they did the last.

Jasisu asked if he wanted to head further out and Zavarix nodded, pointing to the west. He felt foolish for believing that anything of use would be so close to Canus and not yet found, but he knew very little about scavenging and had hoped that for today at least they wouldn't have to go to far. It seemed, however, that taking it easy was not an option for them, so Zavarix pushed his worries aside and headed out into the unknown.

Zavarix | Keristary

IC: Agonos

Agonos was bitter and angry. Here he was, out in the middle of nowhere, digging because the newcomers decided to stay. He could die out here, he realized, but he knew he would die anyways if he didn't find something of value. Something useful. An unlimited water supply, perhaps? He laughed quietly at that one.

He knew better too. You don't come out this far. There's things in the night and in the wastes around the village. If he died, it would be his fault. It would be-clink.

"What the?" He whispered, eyes wide in wonder. He stabbed again with his shovel. Clink.

Clink.

Clink.

He tossed his shovel to the side and began to dig with his hands, his fingers wrapping around something hard....and it felt different. He pulled it out, breathing heavily. "What the...what is this?"

IC (Jasisu-Outskirts of Canus):
"I understand where to go, I'll follow you." Said the Fa-Matoran as she walked alongside Zavarix. "As bleak as this wasteland is, the scavenging aspect of this place feels like treasure hunting & I don't mind that."

Edited by Naota Takizawa

IC

"Alright," Uri said to Hanari. "Follow me."

Walking back to his shelter, the Matoran emerged after a moment with a square piece of scrap metal, and a sheet of metal with a threadbare rope tied to the front.

"For dragging scrap back," he explained, brandishing the rope. "And this piece is to help dig. I've only got one, but maybe you'll find something. Let's go."

IC

The desert was reluctant to relinquish its treasures, but Agonos was just as stubborn. He gripped the edges of the mysterious object with the tips of his fingers and strained to pull it up through the sand. Slowly but surely, a thin bar of rust-speckled iron as long as his arm slid up into the grey light.

IC

Maru awoke with morning. He was tired, but he couldn't remember the last time he had felt any different. It was important to keep up appearances for the others, however, so instead of trying to catch a few more minutes of sleep, he rolled over and staggered to his feet, rubbing his eyes.

"Good morning," Nua said. He was awake and alert, busy polishing half of a broken mask that Maru had brought in a day or two ago. He often tried to do more, but Maru wouldn't let him. He wasn't sure the Turaga could make it to the Wastes, let alone all the way back, without collapsing from exhaustion. He'd done enough for the settlement and its people already, and his wisdom would be needed in the days ahead if they were to survive.

"Mornin'," Maru replied.  "Goin' out."

Nua nodded, and continued his work as the Matoran grabbed his spear and ducked out into the light of day, which honestly wasn't much brighter outside the tent than inside. His canteen, that constant reminder, was still a little less than half full.

As he walked towards the edge of the village, he noticed Elara coming the other way, looking like she had something on her mind.

"There you are," she muttered, mostly to herself, as she approached Maru, "Do you have a moment?" It took a whole lot of effort to force herself to be polite, but she knew better than to pointlessly antagonise people when she needed their help. 

IC Dessimus

After a while, the Su-Matoran was peering at the desolate crevasse which had assuredly claimed many lives before. Across it, somewhere, was rumored to be a land of life and, above other things, free water. And... Freedom in general.

He angrily swiped at his face as a small bit of sand washed over it casually. Growling to himself, he began poking his stick into the soft sands, hoping to find something of-

Spotting something which the sand had partially swept off of, Dessimus slid down the bumpy side to a small overhang of the great pit, on which was, unmistakably, a tiny splinter of a Hau. Eager to see what else was under the patch of ground, Dessimus dug furiously with his hands, his pole driven into the sand next to him, as he furiously spat to keep the sand out of his mouth.

IC

Maru nodded at Elara's question, hiding his surprise: the other Matoran wasn't usually much for conversation.

"What is it?"

IC

Dessimus dug quickly, flinging the sand behind him, but his pace slowed as, after a few minutes of digging,, his search turned up nothing else of value. The only thing here seemed to be the splinter of metal that vaguely looked as thought it might have once belonged to a Hau.

"I found this last night," she pulled back the cloth and held out the lump of stone for him to see, "Any idea what it is?" 

Edited by The Old Master

IC Toku: 

Time held little meaning in the wastes, save when the sun was up, and when it was down, and knowing when one or the other was coming.

So it was that Toku had no real idea, or care, how long it took her to reach the dune she'd marked in her mind a few days back as a possible spot to look for salvage. Her trident worked as a sort of rake, probing the sands with practiced hands and a trained eye. 

She wondered if she'd done similar things before she came here, idly, as she sifted the sands.

IC:Hanari

Important scavenging stuff she didn't fully understand yet, yeah!

She had a sword.

You can dig with a sword, right? You just gotta do it right!

"Aight. I'll follow you." She nodded.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

IC: Torpaq - Canus

In mere seconds I would apprehend that my movement around the hut had, in a similar manner to the movement of a clockwork toy, allowed me to miss Gapori and Patches as they approached the aforementioned shack's door. However, I was thankfully alerted to their whereabouts by a thunderous knocking whose sound shook the last of the sleep from me. Upon this noise reaching me, I strode purposefully in a direction inverse to my previous one. And so it came to be that Patches and Gapori were before me, and that I was greeting them.

"Do you have any knowledge of Bolu's situation?" I ask the pair after we have exchanged salutations. "He appears to be absent from his hut..."

Kathok

IC: Zavarix - the Wastes

Zavarix smiled when Jasisu compared scavenging to treasure hunting. He thought far too long and hard about things to ever be so optimistic, so this statement came as a surprise to him, but at the same time it made him rethink the situation. Maybe life here wasn't all doom and gloom after all. As they continued further into the Wastes, Zavarix began to spot small scraps of canvas flapping about in the wind and small metal objects protruding from the sand, amongst other things. Though most of these seemed insignificantly small, there could be more substantial finds buried nearby. Deciding that they had gone far enough, Zavarix slowed his pace, scanning the area for anything worth digging up.

Zavarix | Keristary

IC (Jasisu-The Wasteland):

The Fa-Matoran walked alongside Zavarix when she saw him slow down. "I think we have to start digging first before we can see anything worth a single drop of water. Let's get started here, we have no shovels & digging will be quite slow." Said the matoran of magnetism as she went down on all fours & began digging away at the sand. 

Edited by Naota Takizawa