Wairuha: Great Uniter of Wisdom

26840746246_6b2d5990fd_c.jpg

"When Kopaka, Gali, and Lewa unite their powers and forms, they become the mighty Wairuha! With the strength and wisdom of three Toa, Wairuha is ready to protect Okoto from whatever threats it may face!"

After building my own Toa Kaita Wairuha with the 2015 Toa last year, I was eager to give it another crack with the 2016 versions. Surprisingly, this year's Wairuha turned out even better, even considering difficult-to-use parts like the new torso armor! Of course, I doubt Akamai will work out nearly as well... but then, he didn't last year, either.

This model uses only the parts from the three component Toa (not including their respective creatures). I'd love to try and build a Creature Kaita to go with this, but so far the even more limited parts selection has made that challenging.

Pose 2
Pose 3
Front View
Back View
Weapons

EDIT: Finished Haikara: Great Creature of Wisdom!

26845420831_2f3ab91f84_z.jpg26845421071_670f043364_z.jpg

"Uxar, Akida, and Melum combine their forms and powers to form Haikara, the Great Creature of Wisdom! With the strength and wisdom of three elemental creatures, Haikara is ready to assist Wairuha in the battle against evil!"

I finally succeeded at creating a "Creature Kaita" to go with Wairuha! This model not only manages to make good use of the parts from the three creatures, but also packs in some impressive functionality and augments Wairuha well when united.

Back View
United, Back View

EDIT 2: Instructions for Wairuha are complete! Instructions for Haikara are coming soon!

EDIT 3: Instructions for Haikara are finished as well!

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 16

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This is epic. I dig the asymmetry, it really captures the whole combiner feeling, especially with how the colors of each Toa are contained in individual body parts. :) 

Also, those shoulders. Those are some epic shoulders. And the staff reminds me of 08 Takanuva's Power Staff. 

Overall, good stuff. I'd like to see a size comparison, however. :)

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

This is epic. I dig the asymmetry, it really captures the whole combiner feeling, especially with how the colors of each Toa are contained in individual body parts. :) 

Also, those shoulders. Those are some epic shoulders. And the staff reminds me of 08 Takanuva's Power Staff. 

Ooh, size comparison is a good idea. Of course, I can't really compare to the component sets, since they've been taken apart to make this... but I recently got Pohatu, and could do a size comparison with him. Would that do?

Since I can't really take more pictures until tomorrow, I'll try my best to describe it for now. The model actually isn't substantially taller than Kopaka, since his leg beams were the longest ones I had to work with and I couldn't really come up with any satisfactory custom solutions for the legs. So height-wise, from the feet to the head, the model is only one module taller (because I added friction joints to the knees). Then again, Wairuha Nuva was actually fairly short itself, compared to Akamai Nuva or even the original two Toa Nuva! So that served as a little bit of retroactive justification.

So anyway since I couldn't make the model that much taller, I instead focused on bulk—much wider shoulders, huge weapons, and the use of Lewa and Gali's torso shells on the legs. The shoulders were the most involved part of the build, and went through a lot of iteration before I'd even started nailing down the other aspects of the MOC. They're very sturdy, very solid, and even articulated—the shoulders can "shrug" upwards (with a range of about 15 degrees or so), hinged on two separate ball and socket joints. The use of the torso shells on the legs actually inspired the symmetry of the build, with Gali's Dark Azur and Trans. Light Blue concentrated on one side and Lewa's Bright Green and Trans. Bright Green concentrated on the other. That worked out well (and is another reason why I'm apprehensive about how I could do Akamai—it'll be much harder to balance the color scheme in quite the same way).

The weapons were generally one of the last things I got figured out (apart from some fine tuning of the torso and back). The staff weapon was the first one I came up with, and mostly came from wanting to do something with the shooter and all three of the Medium Azur crystal blades (Takanuva's staff was definitely an inspiration there, though Skull Grinder's was as well). The secondary weapon came after that, and in general I'd say I'm actually probably happier with it than with the staff—it spins on a gear like Ekimu's shield, and despite working with a more limited parts selection by that point it actually turned out great.

Anyway, looks like you got me rambling. Thanks for the feedback!

So yeah this is a good build, I like how the colors have been divided into a left right and middle sections, that's pretty neat. You should do a  photo of him united with a creature, it seems like his unity function still works.

Unfortunately, while it SEEMS like his unity function would still work... it doesn't really work with any of the normal creatures. The Unity Piece is spaced quite far off the torso beam, instead of wrapping around it like on the normal Toa, which means that none of the creatures' necks actually reach far enough for their heads to cover the mask.

Originally, I didn't even have the unity piece there for a creature to attach to, but some of my last modifications involved adding one in the hopes that I could create a "Creature Kaita" designed to pair with it. But so far, I haven't had much luck with that. The part selection of the creatures is much more limited than that of the Toa, and it's quite a challenge to create a creature design that is coherent, sturdy, and large enough to fit.

Ooh, size comparison is a good idea. Of course, I can't really compare to the component sets, since they've been taken apart to make this... but I recently got Pohatu, and could do a size comparison with him. Would that do?

Since I can't really take more pictures until tomorrow, I'll try my best to describe it for now. The model actually isn't substantially taller than Kopaka, since his leg beams were the longest ones I had to work with and I couldn't really come up with any satisfactory custom solutions for the legs. So height-wise, from the feet to the head, the model is only one module taller (because I added friction joints to the knees). Then again, Wairuha Nuva was actually fairly short itself, compared to Akamai Nuva or even the original two Toa Nuva! So that served as a little bit of retroactive justification.

So anyway since I couldn't make the model that much taller, I instead focused on bulk—much wider shoulders, huge weapons, and the use of Lewa and Gali's torso shells on the legs. The shoulders were the most involved part of the build, and went through a lot of iteration before I'd even started nailing down the other aspects of the MOC. They're very sturdy, very solid, and even articulated—the shoulders can "shrug" upwards (with a range of about 15 degrees or so), hinged on two separate ball and socket joints. The use of the torso shells on the legs actually inspired the symmetry of the build, with Gali's Dark Azur and Trans. Light Blue concentrated on one side and Lewa's Bright Green and Trans. Bright Green concentrated on the other. That worked out well (and is another reason why I'm apprehensive about how I could do Akamai—it'll be much harder to balance the color scheme in quite the same way).

The weapons were generally one of the last things I got figured out (apart from some fine tuning of the torso and back). The staff weapon was the first one I came up with, and mostly came from wanting to do something with the shooter and all three of the Medium Azur crystal blades (Takanuva's staff was definitely an inspiration there, though Skull Grinder's was as well). The secondary weapon came after that, and in general I'd say I'm actually probably happier with it than with the staff—it spins on a gear like Ekimu's shield, and despite working with a more limited parts selection by that point it actually turned out great.

No problem! :D A comparison with Potat-- er, Pohatu would be great. (Side note: Pohatu 2016's air intakes on his mask remind me of classic Stormtroopers.)

And as for the Creature Kaita: keep trying! I'm sure that you could figure out a good design. Maybe it could be a dragon?  :o

96DIFYm.png

No problem! :D A comparison with Potat-- er, Pohatu would be great. (Side note: Pohatu 2016's air intakes on his mask remind me of classic Stormtroopers.)

And as for the Creature Kaita: keep trying! I'm sure that you could figure out a good design. Maybe it could be a dragon?  :o

I did a size comparison this morning. I decided to do it with Umarak rather than any of the Toa. You can find it here!

I also managed to finally come up with a Creature Kaita that I was happy with today! But I don't necessarily want to upload it until I have a name for it... does anyone have any ideas? The main thing I'm looking for is a name that complements both Wairuha and the other Creatures.

EDIT: I've come up with a name.

EDIT 2: I finished a "Creature Kaita" and have added pictures, links, and descriptions to the first post!

Edited by Lyichir

*GASP*

Haikara is a wyvern... with gun-wings. Most impressive! I see that the flap function remains intact, which is quite cool. Plus, the wing design is excellent. However, the golden head clashes with the rest of the build, but that's not much of a problem in Unity Mode. :)

96DIFYm.png

The model is impressive! On par with, if not superior to, Nescent's combiner creatures, and just like them  this should become an official combiner. As others have said, I totally dig the chromatic asymmetry, it fits the character perfectly. It reminds me of a digimon...

Haikara is no less impressive, if not more, considering you had to deal with small-scale.

*GASP*

Haikara is a wyvern... with gun-wings. Most impressive! I see that the flap function remains intact, which is quite cool. Plus, the wing design is excellent. However, the golden head clashes with the rest of the build, but that's not much of a problem in Unity Mode. :)

Well, if you think about it (and picture Haikara not as a wyvern) many birds today have a yellowish/golden beak that clashes with the rest of the plumage...yet they manage to live just fine!

Creature combiner i great, but I wish the colour distribution could be better, the black around he neck and white only at the feet is a bit of a minus for him.

Still the gun wings are ultra cool and the unit of Wairuha and Haikara is awesome. Great work!

*GASP*

I actually conceived Haikara as more of a bird than a wyvern, but to each their own! The name actually comes from the Finnish word for "heron" (thanks to my brother for the name suggestion).

The blasters aren't actually mounted to the wings themselves, but rather to the torso—on earlier designs I tried to add the blasters to the wings, but that made the wings much heavier and didn't make much sense in terms of aiming, since the aim would change whenever the wings were moved. As for the gold head, I figured it would be no more intrusive than the gold mask I used for Wairuha (which is similarly the only gold part on that MOC), and would make the two look a tad bit more consistent.

The model is impressive! On par with, if not superior to, Nescent's combiner creatures, and just like them  this should become an official combiner. As others have said, I totally dig the chromatic asymmetry, it fits the character perfectly. It reminds me of a digimon...

Haikara is no less impressive, if not more, considering you had to deal with small-scale.

*GASP*

Well, if you think about it (and picture Haikara not as a wyvern) many birds today have a yellowish/golden beak that clashes with the rest of the plumage...yet they manage to live just fine!

Thank you for the compliments! To be honest, even I was surprised with how well Wairuha turned out, considering that the new Toa aren't necessarily my favorites. But even aspects of those Toa that I would consider drawbacks on them worked better on a combi model, almost as if they were designed with that in mind (despite there being no such models other than the "TwoToa" so far this year). For instance, the bulky torso shell was one of my least favorite new parts due to its huge size and lack of added connection points, but it does offer a LOT of space between it and the torso beam, which became essential for the complex and sturdy shoulder attachment on this model. And while my 2015 attempt at a Wairuha MOC struggled to support its own weight or the weight of its weapons, the fact that every one of this year's Toa has not one but TWO pairs of friction extenders meant that if I so desired, I could potentially add one to every joint on every one of Wairuha's limbs (I ended up doing so for every joint except the elbows, since the color didn't match as well visually and made the arms slightly longer than I wanted them to be).

Creature combiner i great, but I wish the colour distribution could be better, the black around he neck and white only at the feet is a bit of a minus for him.

Still the gun wings are ultra cool and the unit of Wairuha and Haikara is awesome. Great work!

It was hard to distribute the color on Haikara nearly as well as on Wairuha, since Melum actually has so few white parts to choose from (the hands and feet, mostly, as well as the spikes on the horn and tail). There's actually some white on the torso as well—the unity piece is mounted to one of Melum's foot pieces, which adds a bit of white to the midsection. The black was mostly used for the neck because I was out of colored limb pieces, and was used to attach the blasters because I felt it blended in better with the torso that way, instead of looking like an extra set of limbs.

• Upvote 1

These are an amazing pair of MOCs-love the combination of parts and colors.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

These are an amazing pair of MOCs-love the combination of parts and colors.

Thanks!

People have asked, so I've created instructions for Wairuha! The album includes both pictures and descriptions to help in case the pictures alone aren't sufficient. Haikara instructions are coming soon!

EDIT: Instructions for Haikara are finished as well!

Edited by Lyichir

This is ace! The torso shells look absolutely incredible- those parts have really grown on me.

How much of the sets were you able to use? How well does the hip function work? I imagine Wairuha is a bit more top-heavy than the 2016 Toa.

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

This is ace! The torso shells look absolutely incredible- those parts have really grown on me.

How much of the sets were you able to use? How well does the hip function work? I imagine Wairuha is a bit more top-heavy than the 2016 Toa.

Great questions!

Wairuha uses 189 pieces. The three Toa who make up Wairuha use 297 pieces, including their extra masks. So ultimately, Wairuha uses about 63% of the parts from the Toa. Not as much of the component sets as the original Toa Kaita, but I decided that I'd rather keep the model looking solid than attempt to shoehorn in more of the parts.

Haikara uses 101 pieces. The three creatures who make up Haikara use 198 pieces, not including the parts from the shadow traps or the twelve extra ammo pieces from Akida that are not integrated into its build. Ultimately that makes up only around 51% of the parts I was drawing from. Again, not a very impressive percentage, but there was not a lot I could do about that since it was impossible for me to add more parts to the head, legs and feet, adding more bulk to the wings would make them harder to operate, and adding much more bulk to the torso would have made the model look ungainly (and potentially make it even harder for Wairuha to balance both of their weights when united).

Also, both models deliberately avoided the use of certain parts. Not only were there several bulky parts like the other two Toa's torso beams that would be hard to use effectively, but on Wairuha, the color organization led me to avoid parts that did not have an obvious counterpart in the corresponding color, and on both models I tried to simplify the color scheme further by eliminating secondary colors like Kopaka's Earth Blue, Uxar's Bright Yellow, and Gali and Akida's Bright Orange. I'm fine with those colors on the component sets but on a combi model that already has to balance three primary colors, I felt like sacrifices had to be made to maintain a certain degree of visual unity. I will have to go about things a different way if I attempt a version of Akamai, since neither Pohatu nor Tahu uses much of their primary colors at all, and Pohatu's transparent parts contrast with all his other colors.

The torso rotation on Wairuha works fine normally, since the torso's weight is fairly balanced and the abundance of friction extenders provides ample support, but when united with Haikara it doesn't, since Haikara's feet block the rotation of the hips. I considered this an acceptable sacrifice since while Haikara's feet could have been positioned elsewhere, like on the sides of the torso, the torso was already plenty impressive on its own while Wairuha's hips could make better use of that added bulk.

Edited by Lyichir

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I definitely love this Kaita over your G1 incarnate, but I guess that's the bonus part about having a better parts selection.

I feel like the shoulders are the highlight, being very shapely and complex but still matching the flow of the rest of the body. I feel like more could be done with the arms. I feel like there could be more weight to them. Though I do love you segregated the blue and green for that "unified" feel. I really get that there are three toa in here instead of one super toa. The weapons are also a nice combination, and I really love the (trident?). I don't think I'm going to ge sick of the stud launchers as quickly as the sphere launchers of old because there are so many ways to use them.

I also love the gattling gun-totin' uniter creature you've made as well! Well above and beyond the usual Kaita builds. And I like that it actually brings the best of what each creature offers.

Wish he was a little bit taller and beefier in the arms dept. but above all else excellent work from you as usual!

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I definitely love this Kaita over your G1 incarnate, but I guess that's the bonus part about having a better parts selection.

I feel like the shoulders are the highlight, being very shapely and complex but still matching the flow of the rest of the body. I feel like more could be done with the arms. I feel like there could be more weight to them. Though I do love you segregated the blue and green for that "unified" feel. I really get that there are three toa in here instead of one super toa. The weapons are also a nice combination, and I really love the (trident?). I don't think I'm going to ge sick of the stud launchers as quickly as the sphere launchers of old because there are so many ways to use them.

I also love the gattling gun-totin' uniter creature you've made as well! Well above and beyond the usual Kaita builds. And I like that it actually brings the best of what each creature offers.

Wish he was a little bit taller and beefier in the arms dept. but above all else excellent work from you as usual!

Thanks for the feedback! I can definitely see where you're coming from regarding the arms and overall height, but to be honest there's not a whole lot I could do easily. The sets I was working with didn't have a lot to work with in terms of longer bones, and I could not effectively use any custom solution that resulted in fewer usable connection points for the White, Bright Green, and Dark Azur shells I had to work with (since I was already stretching those colors about as far as I could trying to keep the color scheme both dynamic and balanced). Also, while the symmetry definitely helped me to achieve color balance, it also restricted my options for augmenting sections like the arms, since I could mostly only work with parts from Gali that had an obvious counterpart in Lewa and vice-versa (and again, I did not want to use a neutral color like silver instead if it would mean reducing the visibility of one of those primary colors).

Both models seem to be absolutely brilliant. For hid left arm weapons(green blades did you use wairuha nuva's weapon configuration that the air katana were in?)

Also a size comparizon with G1 Wairuha Mata and G1 Wairuha Nuva would be fun, assuming you have some spare time and the supplies to build them?

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

Both models seem to be absolutely brilliant. For hid left arm weapons(green blades did you use wairuha nuva's weapon configuration that the air katana were in?)

Also a size comparizon with G1 Wairuha Mata and G1 Wairuha Nuva would be fun, assuming you have some spare time and the supplies to build them?

Huh. I actually didn't directly base either weapon off of Wairuha Nuva's weapons, but it is a close match, isn't it? If I'd realized that sooner I might have actually swapped the green and blue sides of this model to match.

As for a size comparison with the original Wairuha and Wairuha Nuva, I probably won't bother any time in the near future. While I definitely have the sets it'd take to build them, digging them all out of where I have most of my old sets stored would be a major hassle. Sorry about that.

One last note: I finally got around to buying the new Tahu, since I needed to get a mask comparison picture for my New Elementary review of the Beast sets. After I've opened him, built him, and gotten the pictures I need, I'll probably make an attempt at building an Akamai to go with this model!

• Upvote 2

Huh. I actually didn't directly base either weapon off of Wairuha Nuva's weapons, but it is a close match, isn't it? If I'd realized that sooner I might have actually swapped the green and blue sides of this model to match.

Here is why the green crystal blades reminded me of those air katana positions. But in hindsight now i also remembered Wairuha Nuva was one of the least impressive toa combiners or just cumbersome and very odd to look at :lol-sign: 

Wairuha_Nuva.png

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

I feel like the legs could be reworked to allow for other creatures to unite there :P

Great job!

The unity pieces on the legs may make you think that, but truth be told, I don't really see how it'd work when I actually think about it. Creating stable attachment points there would be hard enough given the leg construction and the limited parts selection... and even if you could, where would the creatures' heads go? And how much/how effectively would creatures be able to augment the already bulky lower legs? There's a reason I opted for a single bigger "creature Kaita" instead of trying to fit all three of the standard creatures onto the model.

• 4 years later...
On 4/23/2021 at 10:56 AM, Kamora said:

Hey. Have you make the other one. The uniter  of valor?

Hi Kamora. :) Please remember to check the date of the last post in a topic before you reply. The last post before yours was made in June 2016—that's almost five years ago! This counts as topic revival.

Please read the BZPower Forum Revival Reference to learn more about topic revival. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Topic closed.

• Eyru locked this topic