Bionicle Designer Matt Betteker Illustrates Umarak the Hunter

Fans have been enjoying LEGO Bionicle concept designer Matt Betteker's Toa paintings on Facebook since last year, but in a new video released today on the LEGO Bionicle Facebook page, we get to see him try his hand at one of the Toa's enemies: Umarak the Hunter! In this 97-second digital speedpaint video, Matt brings Umarak to life amidst the leafy forests of Okoto using an iPad Pro and the Procreate app. He also explains in the comments that this painting took about two hours to complete in real time. Follow the link above to watch his process!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

I really like the redesigned mask in the painting (as if the set's mask wasn't cool enough already :P), and I second Lyichir on the energy ports. Might have to temporarily use some extra studs from my Akida set to see how that looks on a figure.  ^_^

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

I love this video and painting-like picture! Looks amazing as always! Never expect Umarak to come next after the first two Toa, but okay. I like the green lines in his mask and blue energy coming out of his back. They look very cool on Umarak!:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Another piece of excellent artwork, please keep them coming! In my humble opinion, Umarak looks a little less evil here. It's not a critique, just an observation. Despite many examples, I don't always associate red eyes with being evil, likely because of Toa Matau and Keetongu.

MVT Lego Space Galactic Cruiser

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/593592ef-5da6-4a2a-9422-a17e0f8438ea

Please help and support this project! Your contribution is greatly appreciated.