Ketar - Aspect of Stone

The legendary elemental creatures are thought to be as old as Okoto itself - as well as their tireless hunter, Umarak.

However, the creatures were not always the small, frail beings who rely on the Toa for protection that we know today.

Long ago, the elemental creatures were great aspects of their respective regions. Majestic beings of untold raw power who ruled their elements as gods.

Umarak faced defeat after defeat at the hands of these beings. His shadow traps were brushed off without effort, even in swarms. Over a millennium of strife, he withered away, becoming spindle and wicked. When his mask was cracked after a particularly unfavorable encounter with Ketar's stinger, he decided to give up the honorable hunt and cheat the creatures into submission.

He experimented with his shadow traps until he bred a new kind, that instead of merely snaring its prey, would sap its power, its life force.

These new shadow traps were sent out to weaken the great aspects. However, Umarak's folly was that of hubris - hubris to think that he could create that which would absorb the power of the elements and survive.

Technically, the traps succeeded - they latched on to their prey, and leeched their power. However, the full force of each element was far too much for the traps to endure, and they disintegrated before the creatures were truly fatigued.

Diminished and weak, the creatures fled. While their power is gone, their cunning - and resilience remained. Tracking them became significantly more difficult for Umarak. It wasn't until the much less stealthy Toa gathered the creatures that he could successfully capture one.

Due to the failure of his special breed of shadow traps, Umarak vowed never to experiment with - or rely on - the traps again. He partially broke this oath during his servitude to Makuta.

Before losing his power, Ketar was a majestic scorpion that ruled over the dunes and mountains of the Region of Stone. 

ead88ed.jpg

I built this MOC using parts only from the G2 stone elemental sets: Nilkuu - Protector of Stone, Pohatu - Master of Stone, Skull Scorpio, Ketar - Creature of Stone and Pohatu - Uniter of Stone.

Technically Scorpio has no element, but since he's the one "assigned" to Pohatu and shares the transparent color of the stone elementals, he counts.

album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAidr4q

The torso is mostly the stock Skull Scorpio build with some aesthetic and structural mods. The head, tail and hands are fully custom.

Photo Credit: My wonderful wife!

:kakama:

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Very nice MOC!

I do think the color balance could use a little work. Most of the actual earth tones (the Reddish Brown and Dark Orange) are concentrated up near the front of the MOC, while the tail section is almost entirely silver and Trans. Fluor. Green. In my opinion that detracts a bit from the model looking like a cohesive whole.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Very nice MOC!

I do think the color balance could use a little work. Most of the actual earth tones (the Reddish Brown and Dark Orange) are concentrated up near the front of the MOC, while the tail section is almost entirely silver and Trans. Fluor. Green. In my opinion that detracts a bit from the model looking like a cohesive whole.

The idea was to have a color spectrum with dark brown in front, on the pincers, going over into burned orange with the shells and the '15 Pohatu chest piece going over into tan with the two shells holding the crystal armor at the base of the tail plus the tan vorox armor at the end of the tail. The silver and trans elements would run across the whole model.

In theory, at least  :P  the relative low number of pieces from each color in relation to the overwhelming amount of trans and silver do mess that up a tad. I'm not making excuses, but that's what happens when you limit your parts-pool I guess.

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Duuuude, that is what I'm talking about! A great use of parts, and a cool story behind how Umarak's failed to catch the Creatures in all the time he's been hunting them-would love to see more.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I really like the moc, but a coherent and sensible story behind umarak's failure to capture the creature is even better! One question though: do you plan on making on of these for all the creatures? Because that would be awesome!

I'd love to, however I only own the stone elemental sets + 2015 Lewa, unfortunately :confused:

If at some point in the future I expand my collection, I'll probably make the other Aspects as well!