[Renders] Toa Metru

Hello everybody, here are my virtual re-imaginations of the Toa Metru!

26669674284_06fdccce3d_c.jpg

26657398433_5dd7f4855d_c.jpg

27190377686_4a698d03e8_c.jpg

27184812211_ca7a45c1d2_c.jpg

26766358523_a11f836304_c.jpg

27297196902_48b1903743_c.jpg

(images are clickable)

Thank you for your attention!

EDIT: Here comes Vakama!

EDIT1: Added Matau! And with that, the team is gathered!

Edited by The Mugbearer
  • Upvote 17

Dope. Of all the weapons, I think I like Onewa's and Nokama's best. The brick-built masks are the bee's knees. The only iffy part is Whenua's weapon- it would work great for a Nupau Inika, but it just doesn't feel like Whenua's tools. I'm all for interesting twists on original designs, but when the rest of the Toa have their original weapons sans artistic license, it's a bit out of place. But on the whole, these MOCs are awesome and I can't wait to see Matau and Vakama!

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

Redesigning the masks with bricks is something I don't think I've seen before, and you do a fine job here. Shout out to Nokama's expertly designed weapons, too.

Great work!

These are Incredibly Awesome! I love the custom masks and weapons, especially those on Nuju and Nokama.

Thank you! I guess the brick-built masks are my "signature style." Something I should probably stick to.

Dope. Of all the weapons, I think I like Onewa's and Nokama's best. The brick-built masks are the bee's knees. The only iffy part is Whenua's weapon- it would work great for a Nupau Inika, but it just doesn't feel like Whenua's tools. I'm all for interesting twists on original designs, but when the rest of the Toa have their original weapons sans artistic license, it's a bit out of place. But on the whole, these MOCs are awesome and I can't wait to see Matau and Vakama!

I remember talking with Voxumo on Flickr, they had the same issue with Nuju's tools. Thing is, I don't like Whenua's original tools in their "drill" quality. For me they are two, well, "glorified" scoops, if you want, whereas a regular drill would have more sense. I wanted to give him two of those, but then decided to keep one. As for Nokama's and Onewa's tools, here's the same reason: in my opinion they serve the purposes they meant to serve. That's about it. ;)

Dude these are absolutely awesome! I especially love Onewa and Nuju for their masks just work so perfectly. Also Nuju's and Whenua's weapons are different yet brilliant.

Awesome job :)

Love the brick-built hands.  Lovely weapons.

Thank you!

Edited by The Mugbearer

I absolutely love these. It's a shame not all the parts used are real life parts, otherwise I might consider building a few of them up. That being said, I'd be curious to see your take on a Turaga Lhikan model.

I absolutely love these. It's a shame not all the parts used are real life parts, otherwise I might consider building a few of them up. That being said, I'd be curious to see your take on a Turaga Lhikan model.

Thank you! Yes, it is a pity that most of my models are not buildable in real life, but that's I consider my art more of a 3D sculpting, even if I try to keep all the connections legitimate.

As for Turaga Lhikan, I honestly don't have any plans on doing any more Bionicle characters for now. If someone would like to drop me a commission, I may consider it, otherwise - maybe, but not in some near future.

Wow, these are incredible and I would love to see some of these actually build. Love the Nuju one the best, and wow those detailed faces.

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Wow, these are incredible and I would love to see some of these actually build. Love the Nuju one the best, and wow those detailed faces.

One can dream - those are pretty hard to create given the amount of non-existent part/color combinations. Thank you! <3

Very nice rendition of the whole team. It looks like you used the same custom base for them all, yes? It's nice to see them looking so uniform in design, yet distinct in their details.

Yes, they are pretty uniform - firstly, because they are a Toa Team and should bear a similar build, and secondly because I am not that patient to create a brand new torso for each model if I have something that worked before.

Very nice - as a big fan of the Metru, I'm really impressed!

Yay for Metru fans! <3

Yay for Metru fans! <3

:D

After looking over the renders in greater detail, I have a few more comments to make.

Firstly, I like how Nuju holds his Crystal Spikes - like claws, rather than a standard melee weapon. Reminiscent of how he held his tool in the movie, if I'm remembering correctly. And the design itself is great.

That being said, I think it would've been cool if Vakama held his Disk Launcher in the same way (forearm-mounted as opposed to holding it in his hand). I have to say the weapon looks a little bare-bones, but I have a fondness for its overall length and shape. The Disk Launcher was always one of my favorite Toa tools, and the way you captured it here is great.

Still on the subject of weapons, I have to say that Whenua's drill looks pretty sick. I'd also say he'd look better with two! :P Really enjoying it. Nokama's Hydro Blades are my favorite of the Metru's arsenal; the overall design and use of parts is just fantastic! And to not leave anybody out - the simplicity of Matau's and Onewa's tools work great for their purposes.

Build-wise, I appreciate how you managed to get a different look out of each Toa despite using the same base. For example, the slenderness of Vakama's body compared to Whenua's bulk, is really cool and displays a lot of character. Amazing how just some changes in armoring can affect the whole aesthetic.

And of course, those heads/masks... absolutely stunning. I especially enjoy the use of a System sausage for Whenua's brow, and the build of Vakama's head - my favorite of your designs  - captures a sullen look that's simply remarkable and so characteristic, even if not intentional. I'm in love with it.

Overall, I'd buy these in a heartbeat. They're all really very cool, and certainly nostalgic (which is saying something, coming from someone who wasn't a fan in '04). Well done, and I look forward to anything you may do in the future.

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 1

Yay for Metru fans! <3

:D

After looking over the renders in greater detail, I have a few more comments to make.

Firstly, I like how Nuju holds his Crystal Spikes - like claws, rather than a standard melee weapon. Reminiscent of how he held his tool in the movie, if I'm remembering correctly. And the design itself is great.

That being said, I think it would've been cool if Vakama held his Disk Launcher in the same way (forearm-mounted as opposed to holding it in his hand). I have to say the weapon looks a little bare-bones, but I have a fondness for its overall length and shape. The Disk Launcher was always one of my favorite Toa tools, and the way you captured it here is great.

Still on the subject of weapons, I have to say that Whenua's drill looks pretty sick. I'd also say he'd look better with two! :P Really enjoying it. Nokama's Hydro Blades are my favorite of the Metru's arsenal; they're just fantastic! And the simplicity of Matau's and Onewa's tools work great for their purposes.

Build-wise, I appreciate how you managed to get a different look out of each Toa despite using the same base. For example, the slenderness of Vakama's body compared to Whenua's bulk, is really cool and displays a lot of character. Amazing how just some changes in armoring can affect the whole aesthetic.

And of course, those heads/masks... absolutely stunning. I especially enjoy the use of a System sausage for Whenua's brow, and the build of Vakama's head - my favorite of your designs  - captures a sullen look that's simply remarkable, even if not intentional. 

Overall, I'd buy these in a heartbeat. They're all really very cool, and certainly nostalgic (which is saying something, coming from someone who wasn't a fan in '04). Well done, and I look forward to anything you may do in the future.

Wow, that's one detailed feedback! I appreciate that you have pointed all the things you like, this is the best kind of feedback I could've asked for. <3

When designing Nuju's Tools, I followed an idea that they should serve a role of "glorified" ice picks more than snow shoes.

A wrist-mounted Disk Launcher is something to consider, but it's hard to pose unfortunately. :\

I am not sure how I like that they have the same body build. On one hand, I call myself a lazy for not thinking their builds over in detail - because I'd really love Nuju to be tad less tall than Onewa, but certainly above the rest of them, and I would really love Matau to be super-slender. But at least I made Whenua a shortie, and it's a lovely touch that is a shoutout to their Turaga sets. :D

As for more models, honestly after finishing the Metru I am in a bit of uncertainty. I don't really want to take requests, unless people are willing to drop a commission or two, so I am going to rely on my own inspiration. Although, I think there are a couple of MOCs that I may post...

Man, these are really amazing! Do you plan on doing Toa Lhikan and the two Toa Hagah who had set forms? They all share the Metru body-type. I'd love to see more!

:kakama:

I don't plan to do them, but I may consider if someone would want them bad enough to drop me a commish. I did Norik tho... not sure how satisfied I am with him.

These are awesome! Love the all the mask and I really like Nuju's weapons. 

Onvermel :pakari:

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

I am not sure how I like that they have the same body build. On one hand, I call myself a lazy ###### for not thinking their builds over in detail - because I'd really love Nuju to be tad less tall than Onewa, but certainly above the rest of them, and I would really love Matau to be super-slender. But at least I made Whenua a shortie, and it's a lovely touch that is a shoutout to their Turaga sets. :D

As for more models, honestly after finishing the Metru I am in a bit of uncertainty. I don't really want to take requests, unless people are willing to drop a commission or two, so I am going to rely on my own inspiration. Although, I think there are a couple of MOCs that I may post...

I agree with what you said in a previous comment - that having a similar build works for a Toa team whose members became Toa through the same method. But that's why I appreciate the shell use and slight tweaks so much; because even though they're basically the same figure underneath, there's enough variety in their exterior to make them look unique. It's a useful method that keeps things easy but not too lazy.

Yeah, I know you said you probably wouldn't be doing anymore models. But I was referring to anything MOC-wise you happen to post at anytime in the future! What you've built here has wet my palate, so to speak. :P

Edited by Jakura Nuva

Yeah, I know you said you probably wouldn't be doing anymore models. But I was referring to anything MOC-wise you happen to post at anytime in the future! What you've built here has wet my palate, so to speak. :P

If only to see more great feedback from you. ;)
  • Upvote 1